Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond

(Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor Alström Bros
3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of grain, light malts, honey and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of caramel and honey. There's a thin malt character but enough to provide a little substance. The hops presence is mild and there's not much trace of alcohol as you usually get in a malt liquor. The after-taste is sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: A little tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, good kick, nice representation of style while not seeming as cheaply made as most in the style, it's definitely one of the best Malt Liquors that I've had but my choices overall would have to be limited for me to drink it.

TheManiacalOne, Apr 09, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

Bought this one in a 22 oz. bomber. Kind of disappointed, if I'm going to drink some malt liquour I'd like to have it from the old 4-0. Nonetheless, I cracked this open with childlike anticipation, a new beer from Rogue! Imagine my surprise when I poured this straw yellow concoction into my pilsner glass. It looked like I had just sullied my glassware with Olde English (a good brew at the right time). It smelled as if I had just poured the farm into my glass, corn and alcohol scent creeped into the air, as if I had just distilled some bathtub moonshine in between feeding the livestock. However, one should never underestimate Rogue, one sip of this crazy beast and I knew for certain, this is the finest malt liquor I've ever consumed. The only problem, that's a little bit like being the prettyest girl at an ugly contest. This beer is drinkable, and the mouthfeel is a viscous smooth texture like Billy Dee Williams voice. Here's my only qualm, why should I pay 4.99 for 22 oz. of Rogue malt liquor, when I can pay 1.99 for 40 oz. of just anybody else's? And maybe more importantly, should I really be drinking beer just to get drunk? In the end, Rogue Beer's idea is hilarious, and their heart is in the right place, I just don't think it's fair to give them a complete pass on this one.

CualityC, May 14, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

22 ounce bottle purchased from Beverage Warehouse for about four dollars, split with my dad last night

Poured into my Stone pint glass with a golden orange color might have been a little on the yellow side, very light, big 3/4 foamy white head that settled quickly, not much retention or lacing

Smell was close to a generic malt liquor, had the banana aroma of a Keystone, some sour bready smells like a bad forty, and skunkiness like a Budweiser, lots of malt and not much hops in the smell

Taste was a little too sweet for me and tasted like something you can buy at the supermarket, some fruitiness like pear, banana, and apple, but other than that there was not much separating this from all the other American malt liquors out there, faint amount of hoppiness caused a bitterness while it was colder, but the malt took over once it warmed, not balanced and one dimensional overall with its malt profile

Weak body, too much carbonation, and a pretty weak taste that did not last long at all

Could drink a lot of this if was not for the sweetness overwhelming my palate, light ABV and relatively subtle on the stomach as well, but taste might get old after the second or third bomber

Probably one of the worst Rogue brews I have had, could pay two dollars for double the amount in ounces instead of four dollars if I wanted something that tasted similar to this, better than a lot of malt liquors but still not good by any means, not recommended

Floydster, Dec 25, 2007
3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

22oz brown glass pry-top. No date.

Appearance: Poured with some sudsy white head that faded rather quickly. Hazy yellow.

Nose: Smells like over-worked pale malt, a light citrus note and something like cotton.

Palate: Rather large body for the style with decent mouthfeel that quickly gives way to malt-liquor corn-beer flavors. Crisp and moderately clean, but sweet underneath the drying carbonation.

Notes: Meh, it's malt liquor. Is it better than Colt 45, yes. Do I really want to pay that much more for this instead of Colt 45 if I want malt liquor? No. Good gift for Dad's day, other than that, not impressed.

SFLpunk, Jun 15, 2009

Tyrawlings, Feb 11, 2012

rayman2112, Feb 22, 2013

ROGUE16, Nov 17, 2011

Not really a Malt Liquor guy.

Pours a pale clear color with no head. Aroma is malty for sure with very sweet notes. Has that distinct corny smell of adjunct beers. Taste is sickly sweet and corny, like an imperial PBR or something. . . Too sweet honestly, like drinking a corn syrup concoction.

Again I don't drink malt liquor normally, this is probably a really good one but I did not enjoy it at all. I expect Rogue to try something different, but this time I don't think it works. Hard to rate since I can't compare it so I'll rate it average. But considering the price $4.00 I would expect there are much cheaper options.

kgotcher, Jul 06, 2006

Kopfschuss, Oct 06, 2013

Pours a nice looking golden color, nice carbonation, not much of a head though, lacing is skimpy at best. Scents of sweet malt, hops, yeast, and some spices. The taste is kinda sweet, slightly hoppy, there's some spicyness going on as well, nice clean finish. Medium body. Drinkable, not really into this brew though.

Wasatch, Oct 24, 2006

HopStoopid120, Nov 18, 2011

smi, Apr 06, 2012

eawolff99, Jan 16, 2013

Okay, I didn't dislike this beer, but I found it inoffensive and average.

This is the same sort of piss-yellow as a traditional malt liquor. Head was not as explosive.

Taste was high in sugars and malts, with very little hop profile. Like Olde English 800 et al, but not nearly as in-your-face alcoholic or sugary. Not bad...pleasing...but not excellent.

Again, this isn't bad, but it isn't spectacular. Drinkable, but why bother?

BDTyre, Jun 17, 2007

FunkyAbsinthe, Sep 09, 2012

corby112, Jan 03, 2012

JAHMUR, Nov 23, 2011

Appearance: Pours dingy orange yellow into the glass, soapscum head on top.

Smell: Corn-based aroma, slightly bready. A touch of sweetness. Could be any ordinary American Macro Lager.

Taste: Slightly sweet, notes of caramel deep in the highly malted flavor. Some residual sweetness in the aftertaste. I don't think this uses the Pacman yeast that Rogue is so famous for. (Note: I just read the back of the bottle -- this one uses Czech Pils Yeast.) Goes down more smoothly than I anticipated, and is quite pleasant.

Mouthfeel: No discernible carbonation, somewhat thick. Slight hoppiness.

Drinkability: This really isn't a bad beer at all, and I'd go for this before I'd go for a lot of lagers and pilseners. It's by no means a great beer, and six bucks a bomber is a bit pricey, but for an American Malt Liquor this is top-notch. (Not that that's saying much.)

danielharper, Mar 30, 2008

Sample at AleFest Dayton: Kudos to DFH and Rogue trying to bring some respectability to this style. The beer is an orange/gold color with a medium off-white head. Thin patchy lacing. The aroma is of course malty, with some dough and fruit. Medium-bodied and saccharine sweet with a lot of malt and corn flavor. The finish is grainy and sweet. Despite being made by great breweries, I just can’t get into this style.

Dogbrick, Sep 07, 2006

rab53, Dec 05, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours a hazy golden color with a thin off-white head. Poor retention and no lacing.

Aroma is ok. Kind of citrusy, with a sweet malt aroma. A bit of grain and cereal.

Taste is odd. Pretty sweet, malt forward. Grainy and a bit of citrus. I'm really not too sure how I feel about this.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly low. Taste is pretty strange, though this is my first malt liquor. I'm really not sure how I feel about this thing, I think I'm leaning more towards disliking it.

Goliath, Aug 17, 2008

22oz. bottle

Pours a crystal clear golden color with a fizzy white head that fades. No lacing on the glass.

Aroma of sweet malt, corn, and booze. Reminds me of Crazy Horse.

Taste is sweet and malty upfront followed by a bunch of corn and booze. Finishes sweet and malty.

Body seems a little syrupy. Decent carbonation.

Rogue has really hit this style on the head. It is a classic malt liquor, which is like Crazy Horse on steroids (if such a thing there be). Although, I really enjoyed the novelty more than the beer itself.

MaltyGoodness, May 20, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -12.5%

I was excited to find this recently as I thought maybe it had been retired. New batch for Father's Day? Alright, then let's get our liquor on!

Pours golden and slightly hazy, with a fizzy head that settles out to a thin film. The head can be revived a bit and sticks around, but I expected a bit more effervescence.

Aroma is sweet corn and a bit of floral hop. Some horse-feed graininess, but none of the stale cooked corn smell of a standard malt liquor.

Taste is of sweet corn, wet grains, and some herbal hops (a hint of mint and grass, but all in the background).

Mouthfeel is not exactly crisp, but relatively clean. Round, slick, and just short of cloying. Carbonation is moderate, but seems low for the style, lacking some desirable scrubbing action. For a malt liquor there are no fusel alcohol aromas or flavors. The finish is not quite bitter enough to clear the palate, leaving too much residual sweetness.

While this would go down pretty good at a backyard BBQ or late night rave, at $5.99 for a 22-oz bomber, it begs the question, "What's the point?"

firkinhophead, Aug 04, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -12.5%

Presentation: 22oz Bottle, distinctively Rougue.

Appearance: Pours a dark yellow, small white head that quickly fades leaving little to no trace.

Smell: Malty corn, not a whole lot going on here.

Taste: Nicely carbonated mouthfeel. Slightly sweet, corn-y and alcoholic in taste. Decent malt backbone, even some hop character present, but it is hard to get past the taste of the stale corn.

Overall: To me this tastes like most other malt liquors(I thinking a slightly hoppy OE here) that cost half as much for twice as much. I had this in a tasting with DFH Liquor De Malt and that blew this away.

jarsh, Aug 30, 2006