Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond

(Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor Alström Bros
wcudwight

3.93/5  rDev +16.6%

Thanks to Enola for sharing his bomber.
Mostly pale gold with some hints of amber. Decent 1/2" off white head with moderate retention. Spotty lacing.
Smells kind of like a mild pale ale. There's noticable bitterness in the nose. Not hoppy bitterness though. Just bitter.
Over a nice malt backbone I get the flavors of alcohol, corn, and could it be....hops? Mostly you taste the malts which is the way it's supposed to be.
Light to medium bodied
This is nothing like any other malt liquer I've had. For a malt liquer it's very good. As an over all beverage I recommend it when you want something a little different.

07-30-2006 03:28:58 | More by wcudwight
Kromes

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev +15.7%

A: A clear gold color with a thick white head that laces the glass.

S: Sweet grainy alcohol aroma with some fruity esters.

T: A corn and grain flavor with mixed with alcohol and sweet esters. A touch of hop in the finish.

M: A heavier body with good carbonation.

O: I typically don't drink malt liquor, but this isn't too bad.

01-28-2012 20:41:56 | More by Kromes
TheBungyo

Washington

3.9/5  rDev +15.7%

Let me make one thing clear. I am rating this beer TO THE STYLE. With that said, I do not like this beer. I drank too much malt liquor as a kid, and just drinking this makes me nauseous, bringing to mind too many nights spent drinking bottle after bottle of Colt 45. The reason I have rated this beer highly is because I feel that it does do what a malt liquor is supposed to do.
The pour was better than any malt liquor has any right to be. Nice 1 inch thick head atop a body that I would call just a shade under amber. Nose is muted hops and sharp sugar. Not appetizing. Taste is tangy at first, followed by semi fruity hops and a metalic sugar. Mouth feels better than any malt liquor I ever tried. If you like malt liquor, I can't imagine you wouldn't like this beer. Me, I outgrew it but was led back by curiosity. Now please excuse me while I go pour the rest of this in the drain.

05-18-2006 04:52:58 | More by TheBungyo
johnniemarg

3.9/5  rDev +15.7%

22oz bomber poured into a pint.

Pale golden color, crystal clear. One finger white foamy head goes away quickly and barely leaves a film.

I let this warm up nicely and the smell nearly knocked me over when I first leaned in. Strong and sweet smelling. Smells of sweet corn. Maybe just a touch of caramel. The alcohol burns the inside of my nose.

The flavor is very buttery. Buttered sweet corn. The taste starts off very buttery before the sweetness hits you, just for a split second, and then finishes buttery again. Hops provide just a touch of spice throughout, but this is not hoppy.

This is medium bodied and a little oily on the palate.

I haven't had a malt liquor in ten years and I can't remember how they tasted, but this malt liquor isn't bad. It's very smooth.

08-05-2006 00:03:20 | More by johnniemarg
marvin213

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Not a great pour on my part, but it looks like a yellow fizzy mess. As it dissipates, I must note the stickiness as the suds slither down the glass sides. The side residuals are by far the most impressive aspect of this brew's appearance. Without that, I might wonder why a Butt Light is in this type of glass.

Smells purty much like a malt liquor. I'm reminded of ashtrays and cigarette buttes lingering on the floor of a bar in the morning. It's really spot-on for a malt liquor. I'll take style in mind as I rate what is actually a not-so-fragrant smell as "good." This beer smells like a malt liquor.

It tastes better than your average malt liquor. Granted, I grew up on King Cobras and MD 20/20s, so it ain't saying a whole lot if it's better than those (I guess MD is actually some sorta wine). It's light, well-carbonated, and--believe it or not--refreshing. I'm impressed. I think it's easy to say: it's the best malt liquor I've ever had. I keep sipping it, wondering how best to describe it. Astonishingly, it's purty good. Nothing to write home about, but a malt liquor...? It's incredibly well-balanced, easy to drink, and pleasant on the palate.

Even with style in mind, there ain't a whole lot going on in the palate. I'm unsure how to rate that because that's probably the intention. Flavors certainly don't burst thru the beverage as it rests in my mouth, but the cig and ashtray associations disappear as I enjoy this malt liquor beverage. I honestly think I'd argue vehemently that this isn't a malt liquor had I not seen the label. I didn't think malt liquors were supposed to be pleasant.

Though it's nowhere near my favorite beer, it's a darn drinkable malt liquor! Not one I'd have in stock all the time, but this was a Fathers' Day present. As I read the back and recognize this concoction is indeed a genuine tribute to dads, I feel certain it's worthy of Fathers' Day tradition. Needless to say, I'm proud to be a father; I'm ashamed, however, that I kinda scoffed at this beer when it was presented as a gift. I feel again like I did when I voiced displeasure as a kid about getting a He-Man carrying case (who would bought an 8yr old a carrying case, though?)--I got a spankin' then, and probably deserved one when I initially reacted to this. Fortunately, I'm the dad now. By the power vested in me as such, I'll deem this a purty darned good beer!

06-26-2009 21:31:35 | More by marvin213
jasonjlewis

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours a 1 1/2 finger headw ith a nice orange amber color. Retention is fair and the head fades fairly quickly.

Smells like pale malt with slight citrusy and floral undertones.

Taste is sweet. It's somewhat like cookie dough and I almost want to say that I detct a little nutmeg.

Somewhat crisp and clings well.

Easy to drink and make a session out of. A good summer time beer.

05-25-2008 01:02:04 | More by jasonjlewis
GreenWBush

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Found this in Indianapolis for a very competitive $2.99. Oh wait, I suppose its not that competitive when you consider how much more malt liquor you'd get for so much cheaper if you were going, say, Colt 45 stylee.

Pretty true-to-style ugly, including the label. Cheap trick reference? No real head and a smidge of lacing.

Nose is pretty bland, creamy malts and an interesting cinnamon-like spice bite.

Wow, I actually really like the flavor of this beer. The flaked corn reminds me of some bad beers I like, and the smoothness and overall cleanliness of the package is quite appealing. Goes down super-duper smooth.

While quite gimmick-y, i'm liking the craft-brewed malt liquors. I'd really like to see a hoppy variety. Remember, adjuncts aren't necessarily evil. Its in the way that you use it (them). I'd have this again, especially at $3.

01-21-2007 00:13:21 | More by GreenWBush
PatrickJR

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from 22 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Pale, clear yellow. 1-2 finger soda-pop head appears and disappears quickly to nothing, but there is actually some minimal lacing.

S - Corn, steamed vegetables, and old socks. Grainy and citrusy enough to set it apart from most American macros.

T - For malt liquor, this is fucking fantastic. Corn/cereal grain upfront with a slightly sweet component near the finish. Slight citrus late palate, making this brew a little interesting. Since the ABV isn't on the bottle or listed here, but it is a malt liquor, I can assume the ABV is a little on the high side, and if so, it's well hidden.

M - Highly carbonated and thin, but not too watery. What's remarkable is that it actually holds it's carbonation once poured into a glass. It's more than obvious that most cheaper beers, especially malt liquor, were designed to be drunk from the bottle where the bottle shape itself can contain the CO2. Rouge holds it's own.

D - I wouldn't mind sipping on this all night, especially after having a few bigger beers.

Compared to most malt liquor, this stuff is wonderful; it even surpasses most American macros in taste. I might even buy this stuff again.

06-16-2008 07:24:07 | More by PatrickJR
eerilychildish

Poured into a pint glass, served around 45 degrees

A: light golden brown, minimal head retention and no lacing to speak of

S: light aroma of malt and corn, no other notes to speak of

T: Sweet and malty with no noticeable hop presence

M: Lightly carbonated and smooth, as is characteristic of the style

D: Goes down easy, nothing spectacular jumps out at you, just a nice smooth beer. I have to admit, beer snob that I usually am, I have a soft spot for cheap malt liquors, and this tastes like everything I like about Mickey's with the quality improved to the point that it warrants the Rogue name. I expected a Rogue-quality malt liquor, and I got a Rogue-quality malt liquor

01-21-2011 05:51:00 | More by eerilychildish
TastyTaste

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance: Very malt liquory, dark gold, lots of carbonation beneath a small white head.

Smell: Light corn and grain, not much, but not terrible.

Taste: I could guess that this is about as good as a malt liquor can get. Still corny and alcoholic, but does have an actual hop presence, and a better finish than most Malt. Not bad.

Drinkability: Probably the best a malt liquor can be, doesn't go overboard with corniness and alcohol, and is alright to drink. Interesting.

08-09-2006 03:38:06 | More by TastyTaste
rand

From bomber to pint

A: Pretty much looks like your standard issue macro-lager, but I'll try to be descriptive. Clear, yellow-orange, lots of loose carbonation, the head dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing

N: Chalky malts, slightly earthy hop-spice, sweetbread, maybe squah

T: You're immediately met with the sweetbread flavors, like cornbread but light on the cornmeal, a touch of spice suggesting paprika, balanced

M: A fairly slick brew, this one. More oily than expected

D: This brew's not the most complex, but the flavors are seamlessly balanced. I haven't had a '40' in a long time, but I don't remember them tasting this good and I'm much more of a snob now. It makes you wonder how much of an effect marketing had on this style of beer. Why worry about quality, when you can simply brand and associate the beer with masculine independence?

Now watch the malt liquor's piss-yellow hue turn green.

09-08-2010 08:41:51 | More by rand
Frozensoul327

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

A: Hazy yellow color with a nice head of white foam that billows above the beer. Medium level of carbonation. No lace.

S: Wow. No heavy alcohol or rotten grain stink. Aromas of rich malt and yeast with a biscuit backbone. Nice. I must say, quite impressed.

T: Double Wow. Sweet yet not sickly corn flavors, bready malts, a light earthy husk and grain quality. Come on, is this really a malt liquor?

M: Slightly syrupy and dense, little carbonation is noted on the tongue.

D: For a malt liquor, this is amazingly drinkable. I'd come back to it in a minute. Hands down, the best malt liquor i've ever had, and likely will ever have.

Notes: Had to go to OH to find it, but it was worth it.

12-16-2006 04:07:10 | More by Frozensoul327
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

Perhaps this beer is comming out of retirement. Enjoyed on tap at the Brewer's Jam, Knoxville TN. Labled as a malt liquor, the beer seems to elude any detremental adjunct flavors or effects. The aromas are a rich of pilsner malts with a light vegetal note, but no sulfery character. A sharp hop note (not sure if it's completely American) along with some apple fruitiness round out the nose. The flavors are quite sweet with clean pilsner flavors and a mild, pleasant cider flavor. Seems to be sweetened with honey. The feel is heavy and a bit of a syrup, oily texture. Finishes with a sweet alchol note and again, a light vegetable (corn flavor). It's a good beer that tastes more similarly to a high-gravity Pilsner, rather than a Malt Liquor.

10-16-2007 15:52:25 | More by BEERchitect
angrybabboon

Rhode Island

Review adapted from notes taken 4/3/11

Appearance: Golden orange, pours a bit cloudy with a thin head, some lacing

Smell: Sweet malts and corn, a lot of cereal - lacks the fusel alcohol stink that most malt liquors emit, which is a nice surprise - ultimately, boring but not bad

Taste: Surprisingly good - lots of corn, but also lots of sweet caramel and pale malts - kind of grainy - kind of spicy, which is a nice surprise - kind of tastes like a sweet bread with corn

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, nicely carbonated, smooth - could be a bit more crisp

Overall: Easily the best malt liquor I've ever had

All of the easily unlikable things about malt liquor - the nasty sweetness, the overall feeling of grossness - are absent from this beer. According to my notes, "doesn't have that solvent alcohol butthole flavor." I guess that sums it up. I wish more breweries did this.

08-15-2011 19:34:40 | More by angrybabboon
jeffmonarch

Maryland

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

1 Pint 6 Oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Cloudy golden yellow with a thin white head.

S - Sweet and malty. Very faint.

T - Sweet wheat and malt flavors. Crisp and clean.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - Good beer. I feel like I should pour this into a 40 and drink it out of a brown paper bag. Really good though.

11-04-2008 03:01:28 | More by jeffmonarch
WesWes

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

The beer pours a gold color with a thin white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a clean malty aroma with no hops and a bit of sweetness. The taste is good. It has a smooth pale malt and adjunct flavor that goes down easy and finishes crisp and clean. There is little complexity, but the overall flavor is pretty good. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good tasting malt liquor. I'm not a huge fan of the style, but if I had to choose one, this would be it.

07-28-2007 01:25:13 | More by WesWes
JamesS

Indiana

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured a nice dark yellow color with great initial head, a fair amount of carbonation, and just a bit of quickly-desolving lacing. Nice scent, very sweet and malty, if a little weak. Great taste for the style, very smooth and great malt flavors, without being too overbalanced. It goes down pretty nice, not the best Rogue beer, but probably one of the best malt liquor beers I've ever had (which fortunately is few).

08-13-2008 12:53:43 | More by JamesS
BigJTrucker

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Picked up this 22oz bottle at Albertsons to have after my steak and potatoes dinner. Pours into my mug a crystal clear golden color, creamy billowing off white head with heavy lacing. Smell is very fruity sweet, some green apple notes coming first to mind. Taste is very sweet, again with some apple sweet malt flavor, negligeable hop presence. Mouthfeel is very sticky, finish is moister than i was expecting. Not my favorite Rogue offering, but certainly enjoyable, and knocks the pants off any other mass market Malt Liquor. I'd love to see Rogue bottle this in the traditional 40oz bottle, just for grins =)

01-22-2008 03:41:02 | More by BigJTrucker
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

A cool take on a maligned style ( maligned for a reason). Pours dark gold , big head and a yeasty almost corn like smell. The beer is best ice cold with a complex lager flavour coming off almost Belgian at times. The corn part seems to come out in the finish but it was makes the beer interesting rather than detract. As the beer warms up some more hops nuances show up but the crispness also disapears too. I like this beer because it is unique for Rogue and is fun to drink ( drink one while watching Nascar).

06-25-2007 19:40:23 | More by canucklehead
Brenden

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer is gone? When did that happen. Oh well, here's to what may be the only reasonably well-made Malt Liquor ever brewed.

This take on the beer that's made homeless drunks and their brown paper bags famous looks like the others, a clear sort of pale-medium yellow color. There's actually a nice little foam on top, just barely off-white, that settles in time and leaves pretty good spotting on the glass.
It's to style with the exception that it lacks the gasoline notes in the aroma. Doesn't smell like gas...interesting. What it does have is some corn, but not the vomit-inducing creamed corn, lightly sulfuric notes, a little leaf, and some husk on a crackery malts backbone. It could be stronger, but not if strength meant what the other guys mean.
The taste is clean, and there's actually some hoppiness to this one, a little floral and herbal to balance the dry malt. There's a mingling of citrus as well, some zesty lemon and maybe orange peel. A little sweetness and some corn is there too with some fusel notes leaning toward the fruity side (think red apple, sweet but a little tart), it actually is surprisingly less than disgusting. Who knew it was possible?
The feel is clean in about a medium body, a little thick just at the end so that it leans toward syrupy but stops just short. It has a nice, soft crispness that stays through the whole way and actually adds to the smoother aspects.

12-11-2013 20:57:23 | More by Brenden
silver0rlead

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a slightly orangish yellow with a descent white head...good for a malt liquor. The aroma has a strong corn syrup sweetness, along with some biscuity malt, slight noble hops character, and alcohol. The flavor also has a strong corn syrup presence, along with some biscuity malt, fruity esters, slight spicy hops, and alcohol. The mouthfeel is somewhat thick, and carbonation is medium. This is definately a solid malt liquor, worlds better than OE or Colt.

07-17-2006 06:40:22 | More by silver0rlead
nlmartin

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was purchased at Jungle Jims for $4.99. The beer was served in a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear fizzy golden yellow coloration. The head was thin and off white. The head had little staying power. No lacing to speak of on the glass.

Smell: The beer smells of malty corn bread. The alcohol and the yeast produce a bit of spicyness. The hops may also add to spicyness; however, I dont think the hops are all that involved.

Taste: The beer continues to deliver the malted corn bread experience in the taste. The beer has a bit of spicyness at the end. I am not really clear if it is hops or yeast. The beer has no off flavors. This didnt get better warmer but didnt get gross.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer has a big old smooth malty mouthfeel. The beer has a big body. The beer is well carbonated and easy to drink. The beer was even ok as it warmed up. The novelty of upscale malt liquor is enough to purchase and try this once; however, I will not be purchasing this beer again.

06-26-2006 11:12:47 | More by nlmartin
DoubleJ

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

Welcome back to the Brown Paper Bag Invitational! Two beers are down, two more remaining in this invite, where tonight, Rogue's version of the style takes center stage. Wait a minute...craft brewers making malt liquor?! I know, I know, it's heresy, but let's see what they can do. On to the beer:

Pale golden straw color, the head is patchy after fizzing away from the pour. Now my beer has no head. Meh. I can't say I'm jazzed by the aroma, it's musty with faded hop character in the background, a little sweet I might add.

Without a doubt, this has a good flavor to it, regardless of how you judge it as. Melted caramel in my mouth? Who knew? Very smooth flavor with the alcohol kept behind bars. Starts to get sugary in the middle, then comes a zip of fusel hitting on the palate. The crystal hops arrive late, but not too late to delever some hop flavor.

Another beer finished in the Brown Paper Bag Invitational. The final beer will participate tomorrow night, where we award the winner of this prestigious series.

09-21-2008 04:50:38 | More by DoubleJ
Shaw

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

I saw a bottle of this at my local Whole Foods and couldn't resist! It's probably been 10 years since I had any malt liquor -- other than Pizza Port's Brown Bag Malt Liquor.

It pours a golden yellow that a lot deeper colored than a typical malt liquor. It has a lovely puffy white head that reduces to a thin ring in my glass.

It smells sweet, almost like diacetyl? I'm not noticing any hops, which is a little strange for Rogue.

Well, this sure doesn't taste like the malt liquors I remember: This beer tastes good. It's lightly sweet (I'd almost say it has grape-like flavors) and malty with a hint of bitterness -- miles away better from any major malt liquor I've ever had. This is one of the least hoppy beers Rogue makes.

The body is good. It's got more heft than I was expecting, which I always like.

For those who think Rogue only makes hop bombs, you should try this beer. It's very approachable. I'm sure the ABV puts it out of the session beer range, but otherwise this is a really easy-drinking brew.

05-19-2006 05:34:53 | More by Shaw
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

"And though she's not really ill, there's a little yellow pill,
She goes running for the shelter of a mother's little helper"

--The Rolling Stones

Rogue knows that dads need a little shelter too. What better way to get there than with a kick ass malt liquor? I've decided not to review this beer as part of my Malt Likkapalooza series because I expect it to be in a different league than most, if not all, versions of the style that are currently available. Is that special treatment justified? Let's find out.

I was hoping for sweet corn yellow, but the beer is actually a beautiful shade of rich amber that is as bright and as clear as the morning sunshine outside my front window. The cap is bone white rather than cotton white and has at least some of the usual Rogue magic. As expected, it lays down quite a bit of lace.

The nose's good point is that it doesn't smell like ethanol. Its bad points are that it smells like nothing other than weak pale malt and lightly musky hops. It may be refined compared to the usual malt liquor rabble, but give me something to work with guys.

Dad's Little Helper is pretty good beer... considering. It tastes like sugar cookie dough with a dash of corn meal to add a bit of flavor interest. Of course I've never had cookies that tasted like alcohol, but they could be good. Thankfully, the flaked corn adds a modest amount of sweetness without making the beer taste overwhelming corny.

What tastes like a generous Crystal hop addition gives this malt liquor much more bitterness and more hop flavor than most versions can manage. That isn't surprising since hops are probably the most expensive ingredient used in a batch of the typical 'vagrant's choice'.

Most malt liquor makes me want to grunt like an ape. This one makes me want to hold out my pinkie when I drink. Actually, with the use of a quality Belgian yeast strain, Dad's Little Helper would make a pretty fair BSPA. Don't laugh, I'm being serious.

Thankfully, the mouthfeel isn't too plush. There are limits to this refinement crap, after all. It has a perfect about of 'smack you upside the head' firmness and is well-carbonated without being overly buzzy. Do these guys know their beer or what?

I don't remember much about my bomber of Imperial Gold Malt Liquor from the now-defunct Hawks Brewing, but I do know that it's the best malt liquor that has ever graced my glass. Even though the scores are almost identical, I think I preferred that beer to this one. As far as currently available versions, Dad's Little Helper is my clear favorite... at least until I manage to acquire a bottle of Dogfish Head Liquor De Malt.

05-08-2007 13:28:55 | More by BuckeyeNation