Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer is gone? When did that happen. Oh well, here's to what may be the only reasonably well-made Malt Liquor ever brewed.

This take on the beer that's made homeless drunks and their brown paper bags famous looks like the others, a clear sort of pale-medium yellow color. There's actually a nice little foam on top, just barely off-white, that settles in time and leaves pretty good spotting on the glass.
It's to style with the exception that it lacks the gasoline notes in the aroma. Doesn't smell like gas...interesting. What it does have is some corn, but not the vomit-inducing creamed corn, lightly sulfuric notes, a little leaf, and some husk on a crackery malts backbone. It could be stronger, but not if strength meant what the other guys mean.
The taste is clean, and there's actually some hoppiness to this one, a little floral and herbal to balance the dry malt. There's a mingling of citrus as well, some zesty lemon and maybe orange peel. A little sweetness and some corn is there too with some fusel notes leaning toward the fruity side (think red apple, sweet but a little tart), it actually is surprisingly less than disgusting. Who knew it was possible?
The feel is clean in about a medium body, a little thick just at the end so that it leans toward syrupy but stops just short. It has a nice, soft crispness that stays through the whole way and actually adds to the smoother aspects. (1,408 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +12.2%

one of 3 beers available at a distributing company's closeout wine tasting event.

A- clear golden amber with a chill haze (the bottles had been sitting in buckets of ice) and a creamy off-white head leaves a decent amount of lace, probably would have been more if the bottle wasn't pre-opened.

S- this doesn't smell like malt liquor but it does have that familiar "old school beer" aroma perhaps from the addition of corn? it's pale malty sweet with some butter and faint lemon citrus/wet wood hops.

T- butterscotch, caramel, toffee, pale malt, wet dog, acorn/grains and a little lemony hops but not very bitter at all, i guess that's true to style cuz all the malt liquor I've ever had has been like drinking a thick malt syrup of yuck. this isn't that bad though. i mean hell, look where it came from.

MF- kinda sugary and cloying but still pleasant compared to high school memories of things like steel reserve, king cobra, and schlitz... gets kinda syrupy as it warms.

D- i know one thing, my dad woulda loved it. i'm not a fan of the addition of corn to any beer, but if that's what makes the style, maybe i'm not a fair judge. all things considered, rogue is on one, and after drinkin half the bomber, i was making my way over to the snack table for some saltines and brie. (1,287 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +12.2%

Welcome back to the Brown Paper Bag Invitational! Two beers are down, two more remaining in this invite, where tonight, Rogue's version of the style takes center stage. Wait a minute...craft brewers making malt liquor?! I know, I know, it's heresy, but let's see what they can do. On to the beer:

Pale golden straw color, the head is patchy after fizzing away from the pour. Now my beer has no head. Meh. I can't say I'm jazzed by the aroma, it's musty with faded hop character in the background, a little sweet I might add.

Without a doubt, this has a good flavor to it, regardless of how you judge it as. Melted caramel in my mouth? Who knew? Very smooth flavor with the alcohol kept behind bars. Starts to get sugary in the middle, then comes a zip of fusel hitting on the palate. The crystal hops arrive late, but not too late to delever some hop flavor.

Another beer finished in the Brown Paper Bag Invitational. The final beer will participate tomorrow night, where we award the winner of this prestigious series. (1,024 characters)

22 oz bomber poured into Imperial pint glass

A - Pours a straw golden color with about 3/4 inch white head. Head fades quickly, while lacing is moderate when tipped.

S - Strong grainy malt with a bit if acidity and a good corn scent (perhaps the added "flaked corn" is the cause here?). Just a touch of noble-es ue hop scent. Pleasant without being complex and certainly without any preservative additives.

T - Intense malty grains with corn flavor. Little hops evident except for aftertaste is is ever so slightly bitter. Not much more to say.

M - Moderately low carbonation with a smooth and medium body. Finish is slightly drying and bit sticky.
D - Well, its a malt liquor, but what more could you ask for out of this category? Easy drinking and never cloying. Worth a try to see what an accomplished brewery can do with a lackluster style. (861 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +11.9%

I saw a bottle of this at my local Whole Foods and couldn't resist! It's probably been 10 years since I had any malt liquor -- other than Pizza Port's Brown Bag Malt Liquor.

It pours a golden yellow that a lot deeper colored than a typical malt liquor. It has a lovely puffy white head that reduces to a thin ring in my glass.

It smells sweet, almost like diacetyl? I'm not noticing any hops, which is a little strange for Rogue.

Well, this sure doesn't taste like the malt liquors I remember: This beer tastes good. It's lightly sweet (I'd almost say it has grape-like flavors) and malty with a hint of bitterness -- miles away better from any major malt liquor I've ever had. This is one of the least hoppy beers Rogue makes.

The body is good. It's got more heft than I was expecting, which I always like.

For those who think Rogue only makes hop bombs, you should try this beer. It's very approachable. I'm sure the ABV puts it out of the session beer range, but otherwise this is a really easy-drinking brew. (1,027 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +11.9%

"And though she's not really ill, there's a little yellow pill,
She goes running for the shelter of a mother's little helper"

--The Rolling Stones

Rogue knows that dads need a little shelter too. What better way to get there than with a kick ass malt liquor? I've decided not to review this beer as part of my Malt Likkapalooza series because I expect it to be in a different league than most, if not all, versions of the style that are currently available. Is that special treatment justified? Let's find out.

I was hoping for sweet corn yellow, but the beer is actually a beautiful shade of rich amber that is as bright and as clear as the morning sunshine outside my front window. The cap is bone white rather than cotton white and has at least some of the usual Rogue magic. As expected, it lays down quite a bit of lace.

The nose's good point is that it doesn't smell like ethanol. Its bad points are that it smells like nothing other than weak pale malt and lightly musky hops. It may be refined compared to the usual malt liquor rabble, but give me something to work with guys.

Dad's Little Helper is pretty good beer... considering. It tastes like sugar cookie dough with a dash of corn meal to add a bit of flavor interest. Of course I've never had cookies that tasted like alcohol, but they could be good. Thankfully, the flaked corn adds a modest amount of sweetness without making the beer taste overwhelming corny.

What tastes like a generous Crystal hop addition gives this malt liquor much more bitterness and more hop flavor than most versions can manage. That isn't surprising since hops are probably the most expensive ingredient used in a batch of the typical 'vagrant's choice'.

Most malt liquor makes me want to grunt like an ape. This one makes me want to hold out my pinkie when I drink. Actually, with the use of a quality Belgian yeast strain, Dad's Little Helper would make a pretty fair BSPA. Don't laugh, I'm being serious.

Thankfully, the mouthfeel isn't too plush. There are limits to this refinement crap, after all. It has a perfect about of 'smack you upside the head' firmness and is well-carbonated without being overly buzzy. Do these guys know their beer or what?

I don't remember much about my bomber of Imperial Gold Malt Liquor from the now-defunct Hawks Brewing, but I do know that it's the best malt liquor that has ever graced my glass. Even though the scores are almost identical, I think I preferred that beer to this one. As far as currently available versions, Dad's Little Helper is my clear favorite... at least until I manage to acquire a bottle of Dogfish Head Liquor De Malt. (2,637 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance: bright yellow in color, 1/2 inch head, moderate carbonation, clear

Smell: toasted malt, grass, and honey

Taste: grass, honey, small amount of hops, toasted malt, and a touch of alcohol

Mouthfeel: light bodied, high carbonation, sweet with a small touch of bitter hops

Drinkability: I find the honey malt combo to be very tasty. The alcohol is there, but not as overpowering as some in the style. I will have this again, but will not rush out for it. It is good for the style. This is one of the better beers from Rogue that I have had lately. Normally I am disappointed with them having a grand idea and not executing. Here I had mixed feelings about the idea, but execution was very good. (705 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

Color: Pours a nice golden color with a decent head that recedes. Looks like a standard malt liquor.

Aroma: Malty with some alcohol burn in the nose. Somewhat smooth as well.

Taste: Strong and malty upfront with sweetness in the middle and some hop bitterness. Corn makes its' presence known but it's not overdone. Smooth. Goes down well. Lots of alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel: Dry and sweet with alcohol hotness. Lingering hop bitterness as well.

Drinkability: Well, it's a Rogue interpretation of the style. Not as "adjunct-y" as other malt liquors. Smooth and drinkable. Should be served cold and if you like, straight from the bomber in a brown paper bag (I drank it from a glass). (684 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +11.3%

what's with the bashing here?

pours like vitamin-enriched piss, clear and fizzy. head hangs around a bit, but the beer mostly sits limp like a macro/malt liquor is known to do. nothing fazes me here.

smell is a precocious mix of butterscotch luxury and grainy malt sweetness, but not too metallic or harsh. make no mistake, this is a fresh beer regardless of ingredients used. corn doesn't play a big part despite being ceremoniously listed on the bottle as a main ingredient. yeah, this smells like a maibock. if you called it that, some people on this piece might be ratin' it higher.. and stuff.

smooth with no harshness. big honey-laced malt flavor with no real hop punch. finishes with a bit of corn (ok, so what?) and a sweet cake batter flavor lingers. sugar cookie madness in a sea of crazy horse. all kidding aside, this is just as good as dogfish's effort, and a clear winner over any other macro american example of said style.

people! quit the crap speak and give this beer the base respect it deserves. solid and deserving of my american blue collar kudos. (1,082 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +11%

Appearance: It pours a hazy, light golden color. There's a slight orange color there as well. Head is foamy white and a minimal one finger. It receded quickly and left a very light lacing on the glass.

Smell: The nose is very average. There's some pale and caramel malts that give it a very sweet smell. Slightly sugary. There's a bit light hops and earthiness to it. That's about all this nose is detecting. Moving on.

Taste: This is surprisingly good. Most of my malt liquor experiences have been painful and bring back bad memories. This is a huge step up. It's sugary sweet up front. Pale and caramel malts give it a nice base. There's a touch of floral hops that give it a bit of an earthy flavor. The bitter flavor is a very welcome surprise. It's pretty straight forward, but does have a good flavor. Surprise, surprise.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied knocking on medium's door. It's got a nice feel given the style. It's not exactly creamy, but relatively smooth. Carbonation is active and makes it somewhat crisp. Drinkability is pretty good. I can't say I'd drink more than a bomber on any given occasion. But, it is smooth and easy drinking.

I guess I shouldn't be that surprised that Rogue's developed a malt liquor that's actually good. I had nearly resigned myself to the fact that malt liquors were damned. Kudos to Rogue for a malt liquor gem. Easily the best one I've ever tried. (1,411 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +11%

It's been years since I've had a 'malt liquor', so I thought I'd give this one a try.

A: Clear gold with a white head, very little retention, slight leg/lace.

S: Earthy mineral, grassy, floral, corn.

T: Cornbread, grass & a hint of citrus.

M: Moderate body is smooth with a dry finish.

D: It is what it is. I'm sure it would "get the job done" easier than say an Olde English! (381 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +11%

Served a crisp pale yellow with a decent head that slowly diminished. The aroma had a surprising amount of hops. The taste was mostly of a typical lager, but the hoppiness almost reminds me of a pilsner. The beer is light and somewhat refreshing. I can always rely on Rogue to provide an interesting brew, even if its nothing spectacular, and this one certainly holds to that. (376 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours golden with a thin white head that fades.

The smell is of a fruitiness that is quite different (and better) than your typical malt liquor. Closer to a macro lager, maybe, but there's certainly a "craft" beer touch to it.

The taste is of a candyish sweetness with a crackery biscuity balance. Some corn and rawish alcohol lets you know that they were going for a malt liquor. A tough one to rate, because I wonder what malt liquor drinkers would think of it. (Put it in a bag, drink it straight out of bottle...)Still, on it's own, it has a nice sweetness if you're in the mood for that, with a controlled alcohol bite. Sweetish, abrupt finish.

Smoother, and with more of a body, than your typical malt liquor.

Drinks pretty quickly - gimmicky, and this wouldn't be a staple in my fridge, but I enjoyed it for what it is. Would have been interesting to compare it to DFH's interpretation (which I had awhile ago). In a different class than the typical of style, for sure. Try pairing the second half with some fatty pork. The sweet malt will cut through the greasy fat and not interfere with the pork taste. An interesting, and drinkable for the 22 ounces, brew. (1,173 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +10.7%

Damn, son! Let's get drunk fast and cheap! What do we buy? Malt liquor of course! But what kind? Is it Colt 45? King Cobra? Hell no, we're going with a classy (and slightly more expensive) brew to get us snookered. We're going with Dad's Little Helper, one of Rogue's best offerings. This beer is delectable in every way, and its name is both cool and clever. Drink up. (369 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bomber. Dark yellow appearance with a bubbly head that dissipates rather quickly. No lacing. The aromas are mostly chilled and icy sugars with some fruitish dimensions (raspberries perhaps). The taste was great with a not too sweet but sweet punch and a mild dryness. Crispness helps the sugary aspects of the drink a lot as well. Overall, a sugary, relaxing treat for father's day. (391 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a medium golden color, with just a little bit of off white head. Aroma is all classic malt liquor, except somehow more refined. On the palate, I'm not getting a whole lot, just a bit of sweet malt and maybe a kiss of hops. This one doesn't have a whole lot going on, but it does have a great mouthfeel and it is very drinkable. (333 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +9.5%

sweet in taste, but not sickly like your average malt liquor. little bit of hop pop. this is actually drinkable less than ice-cold. tastes fine at 50-60 degrees.

i enjoyed this and am glad they gave it a shot. sometimes you just feel like a blue-collar beer - and to me, this is more enjoyable than a high-life or bud. obviously though, it costs quite a bit more- if you're going to pay, why not get something really good? i like a colt 45 now and then, and this is definitely better...but per ounce, it costs, what 250% more?

try it once for fun (553 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +9.2%

Picked up this bomber awhile back and ended up drinking it with my dad yesterday! Into my glass a golden yellow pour with a thin light bubbly head and fast moving bubbles. Head falls quickly on this one. Light grain and cooked corn aroma. Slightly fruity with a light spiciness, green apple comes to mind for me a bit. Alcohol becomes apparent in the nose as well. Interesting, yet not really inspiring.

First sip brings a grainy maltiness with some light cooked corn highlights. Mellow fruitiness on the way down with a nice spicy, herbal hoppiness in the finish. A bit of alcohol peeks through as well. Not too sweet and not too bitter with a crisp, clean flavor.

Mouthfeel is rather light with a somewhat punchy carbonation. Goes down smooth. A pretty tasty malt liquor that's way ahead of the 40's I used to throw back in college. Still, it's more of a buy it once to try it kinda beer for me, as opposed to something I'd seek out on any regular basis. (962 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Wow, what a refreshing change! And here I thought all malt-liquors had to contain fusel alcohols and an extra label warning you not to light up a smoke while drinking one! ;) Kidding...

Dad's Little Helper is hazy and deep golden in color with a creamy but fairly short-lived head. It does leaves some very nice lace at the outset, however, and continues with some wide splotchy streaks as you go.

The nose is mainly malty, mostly cereal-like, with a very light touch of hops in the background. Clean and pleasant with no noticeable alcohols.

The flavor follows suit, and it's malty with an edge of both acohol and hops. As a fan of crystal hops, I really enjoy them here, and find it has a refreshing edge that's just lightly floral and works well with the sweetness of the malt. It's not overly sweet though, and there's some distinct graininess going on. Adjunct is, however, obvious - but you need it in a beer that's this big with so little hops hops! Bitterness is just balancing given the girth of the malt. Still, it's not out of bounds in any way, and it finishes pretty clean and dry with just some mild residual ceral-like maltiness in the mouth.

Not unlike most American malt liquors, it's sweetish, and tasty, and somewhat rounded at first, but as you progress it warms to reveal it's true nature. But this is cleaner, and fuller in maltiness and flavor. It's actually not unlike some of the better-made strong eastern European lagers on the market (from Russia, Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, etc.). Interesting and enjoyable! (1,549 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

On draught at the PDX pub, served in a shaker pint, Dad's Little Helper is a clear brassy gold with a small, creamy white head

Smell is pretty muted sweet cereals. The fact that it's not offensive is well above average for the style!

Taste is grainy, sweet corn sugar, a nice hoppy bite, really not to bad! Still has that distinct malt liquor tang, which reminds me just how long it's been since I've actually drank any! The alcohol is a bit to solvent like for my taste though.

Mouthfeel is a touch thick, but dry and spicy.

Drinkability is pretty good, for a malt liquor. Tastes like euro strong lager, pretty clean, a few fusels. Still, there's really no compelling reason to revisit this, an interesting experiment, but given a choice of beer, malt liquor is never it. I should note the bartender offered to add a shot of orange juice, to make it a 'brass monkey'. I passed. (885 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +8.3%

First beer of the week as I spend a few days with good friends...lets hope that's a good sign. ;)

Nice strong yellow colour,slight orangy tint. Thin white head.

Smell is srt of like a swet malt liquor with a hint of wet towel (or as a friend said, wet dog).

Flavour is better than expected- a little woody and slightly spicy, with a thick strong maltiness.

I'd like the hearty body on this one, were it not for the turbocharged carbonation.

Overall, nice and drinkable- but with some shortcomings. Good lawnmower beer.

Be well
-UF (549 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +8.3%

Rogue Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor pours a finger of creamy foam
over a slightly cloudy honey colored brew. Carbonation is slow but
steady, and the nose is corn and something slightly sour and fruity
smelling. That and an unmistakable boozy undertone all somehow
combine to create an almost vinous quality.

The flavor is tart and fruity up front- a bit of corn, naturally, since the
label clearly states flaked corn is an ingredient. There are also notes
of flowers and honey. Off the back, there's a little burr of herbal hops.
Mouthfeel is round, tending semi-dry. Aside from the tangy nose, the
alcohol doesn't really make itself felt beyond a warming effect. Watch
out- this is a very sneaky one! So far, this is the best fermented beverage
I've had that contains corn. I have no idea why the major brewers can't
take these same ingedients and make something special. Ahh well.

This beer was brewed to honor of Father's Day. Nice. (940 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a deep golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is malty, some grains. Taste is malts, corn, some alcohol present, fairly easy drinking. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a fine example of this style. (251 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +8%

First Annual(?) Chicago Malt Liquor Tasting. Thanks to stowehop for this one.

A - A finger of white foam settles to a thin ring, leaving behind a few splotches of lace and some wisps on top. Hazed apricot body. One of the best looking malt liquors I've encountered.

S - Honey, sweet malts, some fruity notes. Somehow manages to avoid being cloying - just nice clean sugar, corn, and alcohol.

T - Honey water and cereal grains. Fairly bland, with a clean finish.

M - Zesty carbonation, medium body, that is simultaneously chewy, sticky and grainy.

D - This is one of the better ones we had - probably only surpassed by Liquor de Malt an Headbanger. Actually, it may be one of my favorite Rogue offerings - too bad they replaced it with that awful Black IPA. (761 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +8%

Poured clear amber color with an average frothy white head that was mostly lasting with good lacing.

Moderate sweet malty and hoppy aroma.

Light to medium body with soft carbonation.

Medium sweet flavor with a medium sweet finish of short duration with a small alcohol bite.

Drinkable beer that is very good for style (321 characters)

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor from Rogue Ales