Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Dad's comes in a urine yellow with a lid of cream. It's sweet grainy and corny with some light grassy spice and bitterness. Feels fairly nice on the palate, medium with a lightly fluffy creaminess to it. Not too shabby at all for a Malt Liquour. A fun one from Rogue. It'll get her done.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours a 1 1/2 finger headw ith a nice orange amber color. Retention is fair and the head fades fairly quickly.

Smells like pale malt with slight citrusy and floral undertones.

Taste is sweet. It's somewhat like cookie dough and I almost want to say that I detct a little nutmeg.

Somewhat crisp and clings well.

Easy to drink and make a session out of. A good summer time beer.

3.72/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours golden with a thin white head that fades.

The smell is of a fruitiness that is quite different (and better) than your typical malt liquor. Closer to a macro lager, maybe, but there's certainly a "craft" beer touch to it.

The taste is of a candyish sweetness with a crackery biscuity balance. Some corn and rawish alcohol lets you know that they were going for a malt liquor. A tough one to rate, because I wonder what malt liquor drinkers would think of it. (Put it in a bag, drink it straight out of bottle...)Still, on it's own, it has a nice sweetness if you're in the mood for that, with a controlled alcohol bite. Sweetish, abrupt finish.

Smoother, and with more of a body, than your typical malt liquor.

Drinks pretty quickly - gimmicky, and this wouldn't be a staple in my fridge, but I enjoyed it for what it is. Would have been interesting to compare it to DFH's interpretation (which I had awhile ago). In a different class than the typical of style, for sure. Try pairing the second half with some fatty pork. The sweet malt will cut through the greasy fat and not interfere with the pork taste. An interesting, and drinkable for the 22 ounces, brew.

3.18/5  rDev -5.4%

This was an interesting brew from Rogue but didn't really peak my interest. Poured a sudsy pale yellow color. Smelled of sweet grain and corny. Tasted much like sweet corn with a drying finish. Had this one chilled in a pilsner style glass. Wasn't sure what to make of it.

3.73/5  rDev +11%

It's been years since I've had a 'malt liquor', so I thought I'd give this one a try.

A: Clear gold with a white head, very little retention, slight leg/lace.

S: Earthy mineral, grassy, floral, corn.

T: Cornbread, grass & a hint of citrus.

M: Moderate body is smooth with a dry finish.

D: It is what it is. I'm sure it would "get the job done" easier than say an Olde English!

2.61/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Thanks Derek. Intentional corn and malt and alcohol. To get drunk by, but nah at 7%. Light yellow with white soapy head. Sugar for sure.Maybe better cold.Ethanol liquor.A real experiment, but worthwhile.Not very complex flavour, maybe in the first week.

2.93/5  rDev -12.8%

Appearance: Pours dingy orange yellow into the glass, soapscum head on top.

Smell: Corn-based aroma, slightly bready. A touch of sweetness. Could be any ordinary American Macro Lager.

Taste: Slightly sweet, notes of caramel deep in the highly malted flavor. Some residual sweetness in the aftertaste. I don't think this uses the Pacman yeast that Rogue is so famous for. (Note: I just read the back of the bottle -- this one uses Czech Pils Yeast.) Goes down more smoothly than I anticipated, and is quite pleasant.

Mouthfeel: No discernible carbonation, somewhat thick. Slight hoppiness.

Drinkability: This really isn't a bad beer at all, and I'd go for this before I'd go for a lot of lagers and pilseners. It's by no means a great beer, and six bucks a bomber is a bit pricey, but for an American Malt Liquor this is top-notch. (Not that that's saying much.)

3.59/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a golden orange-yellow color with a medium bodied off-white head that laced the glass pretty well. It smells of malts and not much else really as it has a lighter nose. The taste is pretty good for a malt liquor. Not overly sweet and even some bitterness at the end which makes it better than I was expecting. The mouthfeel was good - nice and crisp and smooth and it had a decent drinkability. It was nice to have a malt liquor that was enjoyable AND didn't come in a 40oz bottle or giant can.

3.13/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance: Hazy orange/gold with a modest head that dissipates quickly down to nothing.

Aroma: VERY mild aroma of sweet fermentables. Corn Maybe?

Taste: Sweet corn coming thru with some alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with strong carbonation.

Drinkability: It's pretty drinkable, though the sweetness is a tad cloying. Not hard at all to drink a glass or two of this stuff. This is a style I actually haven't had many samples of, so I don't know how it measures up to the others, but I'd imagine it's pretty darn good compared to Old E. and the like.

3.26/5  rDev -3%

bottled, consumed on 11/14/07.

Pours clear light gold with active white bubbles. They form a one-finger head that rapidly dissipates. Grainy aroma with sugary, medicinal hints. Moderate corn flavor with subdued notes of lemongrass (from the hops?) goes down smooth with little bitterness. Quenching without astringency. VERY easy to drink.

YIKES!

3.77/5  rDev +12.2%

one of 3 beers available at a distributing company's closeout wine tasting event.

A- clear golden amber with a chill haze (the bottles had been sitting in buckets of ice) and a creamy off-white head leaves a decent amount of lace, probably would have been more if the bottle wasn't pre-opened.

S- this doesn't smell like malt liquor but it does have that familiar "old school beer" aroma perhaps from the addition of corn? it's pale malty sweet with some butter and faint lemon citrus/wet wood hops.

T- butterscotch, caramel, toffee, pale malt, wet dog, acorn/grains and a little lemony hops but not very bitter at all, i guess that's true to style cuz all the malt liquor I've ever had has been like drinking a thick malt syrup of yuck. this isn't that bad though. i mean hell, look where it came from.

MF- kinda sugary and cloying but still pleasant compared to high school memories of things like steel reserve, king cobra, and schlitz... gets kinda syrupy as it warms.

D- i know one thing, my dad woulda loved it. i'm not a fan of the addition of corn to any beer, but if that's what makes the style, maybe i'm not a fair judge. all things considered, rogue is on one, and after drinkin half the bomber, i was making my way over to the snack table for some saltines and brie.

3.08/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours out the grassy color you'd expect of a malt liqour. Almost no head. Amazingly aromatic. I smell the sweet/fruity hops sitting across the room, the second I open the bottle. It has a very bland taste. The hop smell comes out a little, but it's very watery. Thin mouthfeel. It's okay as far as malt liquors go, but really Rogue and other breweries should really stay away from this style instead of trying to dress it up.

3.56/5  rDev +6%

By far the best malt liquor I have ever had. Pours with a fluffy foam that keeps on kicking. Lots of lacing. Has a clear deep yellow color.

The nose was my least favorite aspect of this beer. Smells of fruits (apples mostly, alcohol and pale malt.

Tastes of sweet apples (almost like apple juice), grain (and pale malt), citrus and alcohol. I was surprised at how fruity this was.

3.52/5  rDev +4.8%

A-Golden yellow pour,1" foamy head quikly fades.Lots of bubbles from bottom of glass,no lacing seen.

S-It smells of all malts with a noticable corn scent.A very light hint of hops.

T-Just like the smell,malts,corn and a very light hop aftertaste.

M-Light/medium bodied,with a crisp prickly feel.

D-Not my favorite offering from Rouge,but it does represent this stlye quite well and it is a nice,easy drinking beer.

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

Picked up this 22oz bottle at Albertsons to have after my steak and potatoes dinner. Pours into my mug a crystal clear golden color, creamy billowing off white head with heavy lacing. Smell is very fruity sweet, some green apple notes coming first to mind. Taste is very sweet, again with some apple sweet malt flavor, negligeable hop presence. Mouthfeel is very sticky, finish is moister than i was expecting. Not my favorite Rogue offering, but certainly enjoyable, and knocks the pants off any other mass market Malt Liquor. I'd love to see Rogue bottle this in the traditional 40oz bottle, just for grins =)

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This brew was even and not overpowering at all and I found it to be very easy drink. I enjoy my taste buds to be pushed a bit farther, so I probably wouldn't go for it again. Nothing exciting at all, but it was worth trying just to check out another Rogue production.

3.02/5  rDev -10.1%

22 ounce bottle purchased from Beverage Warehouse for about four dollars, split with my dad last night

Poured into my Stone pint glass with a golden orange color might have been a little on the yellow side, very light, big 3/4 foamy white head that settled quickly, not much retention or lacing

Smell was close to a generic malt liquor, had the banana aroma of a Keystone, some sour bready smells like a bad forty, and skunkiness like a Budweiser, lots of malt and not much hops in the smell

Taste was a little too sweet for me and tasted like something you can buy at the supermarket, some fruitiness like pear, banana, and apple, but other than that there was not much separating this from all the other American malt liquors out there, faint amount of hoppiness caused a bitterness while it was colder, but the malt took over once it warmed, not balanced and one dimensional overall with its malt profile

Weak body, too much carbonation, and a pretty weak taste that did not last long at all

Could drink a lot of this if was not for the sweetness overwhelming my palate, light ABV and relatively subtle on the stomach as well, but taste might get old after the second or third bomber

Probably one of the worst Rogue brews I have had, could pay two dollars for double the amount in ounces instead of four dollars if I wanted something that tasted similar to this, better than a lot of malt liquors but still not good by any means, not recommended

2.83/5  rDev -15.8%

Old Note from 9/24/07

Sad that I recognize the qualities of maltliquor.

The smell, oaky chardonay? [that explains alot about what's so popular]

Weird dense foam. OE like color.
Yikes, Sweet Tangy, yup that's it, smooth middle. Sticky. Kind of metalic or flinty tones [more Chardonnay qualities]

Quaint. Not something to have often.
I hate to say it but it's prefect for spicy, greasy, food. Chinese. Szchewan? Hot spicy Asian stuff.

[I forgot to note that a friend & I bought a 12 case Noah's Ark of 40's a few years back. I've had none since and plan on not buying any more macro-brew macro beers]

4.22/5  rDev +25.6%

I had to try something special for my 500th beer review! I had this at a cool little bar called The Grape Escape in downtown Galena Illinois. Every time that we go stay at the cabin we always hang out at the Grape Escape....it's mainly a wine bar, but the atmosphere is great and they have some really nice brews.

A - Cloudy orange with a two finger head that leaves lots of crusty lace on the glass. The head shows some pretty decent retention, and looks nice and thick.

S - Honey from the bear-shaped squeeze bottle, Malt-O-Meal, oatmeal, Honeycomb cereal, pancakes, and booze. This is a very sweet and heady aroma that reminds me of a lot of breakfast items.

T - Rich honey and heather. Molasses, dusty yeast, big time alcohol, dry hay-barn hop flavors. Tastes much like a BSPA, and that's probably what I would have called this is a blind taste test. Heady and flavorful. Nice! Tastes nothing like a malt liquor thank God!

M - Astringent, boozy, full bodied, and very rich. It's really sweet, but tight alcohol dryness keeps it very put together. Never cloying or overly heavy at all! This feels like a malt liquor, but much more well built.

D - Kick ass! I could drink two or three, but I'd be on the floor. This brew did me in for the night and I switched to coffee for the next hour before driving home. Watch out for this one....it'll bite you in the ass!

4.12/5  rDev +22.6%

A: Drab American domestic looking, leaning towards the bronze side of things. Body has a lot of activity with many different streams of bubbles cruising to the surface. Head is thin and fizzy, but does eventually settle down to a decent white film across the top.

S: Pear, green banana peels, coins, sour grains and stale bread.

T: Starts plain and unassuming, with standard grain flavors and simple pilsner hops. A delicate sweetness begins to come through…much like honeydew melon, nectar and white corn. Just a little bit of coin flavors, but most of the sweet grains really smooth it out.

M: Medium body, smooth…borderline silky.

D: First sip I was totally unimpressed with this beer. But the more I drank it, the more I liked it. This beer isn’t a deep or complex beer, but then again I don’t suppose they are trying to sell you on that. Its got remarkable drinkability and an easygoing aspect to it. I would recommend this beer.

4.65/5  rDev +38.4%

Deep golden color with little head and no lacing; best malt liquor I have ever seen.

Same with the smell. Big sweet and roasty aroma with a bit of alcohol; this is the best I've ever smelled by miles in this style.

Very sweet which covers up a big alcohol bite; bitter hops come through but don't overpower; once again, far and away the best.

Mouthfeel suffers a lot. It's way under carbonated for the style and as a stand alone beer, not carbonated enough to carry the sweetness. Amp up the bubbles and it would be perfect.

Perfect malt liquor except for the carbonation; best I've ever had for sure.

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

Dark gold, with a thin layer of foam left after a few minutes.

Corn, typical generic "beer" aromas are there, but enhanced by a fresh-cut grass and apple smell, with a faint suggestion of hops.

Taste is as expected: clean malt, some corn, fairly sweet. More substance than a typical cheap-drunk malt liquor, and there's a mild apple flavor (perhaps from the yeast). Vague and mild grassy hops appear in the finish with more green apple and an estimated 7.5ish ABV that makes its presence known.

In short, it's from Rogue, so it's pretty good for the style. But when the style caters to bums who buy a 40 oz when they've found enough cans to pay for it, it's still not an especially enjoyable beer.

3.97/5  rDev +18.2%

I bought this beer in Indianpolis tonight! Parti pak liquors in Greenwood, so it must be some of the last get it while you can

22 oz into my new heavy glass mug

A: nice golden color with a 3 finger white head. good head retention and bit of the head stick all the way down.

S: Fresh clover and grains with a hint of malts.

T: Clover and beeswax again from the hops. the malts are overtaken by the hops but thats not a bad thing. Tastes like someone put a 90 minute pale ale in my Mickeys! Birdie num num!

D: Rather bright and fruity from the hoppiness, but it goes down good and its flavor grow as it warms. Drink away boys!

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

well well well, i was not expecting this to be anywhere near a good tasting beer that i could drink often. Poured from a 22oz bomber:

A-- Looks fairly below average as it comes out a hazy urine color. Kind of like when you have to many vitamins in your system and your body is lettin loose.

S-- not vert impressive. not a strong smell, kind of corny(pun intended)

T-- well this is the spot that impressed me the most. I FULLY expected a harsh Olde English or Steel Reserve with a majorly overwhelmingly dry finish. To my surprise it was actually quite nice. Not at all what i expected. I actually enjoyed the sweet malts and the corny nose did not come through for me, rather a dried fruit mix? mostly apples in the finish. I dont like many fruit tastes in my beer but this was just slight enough to enjoy.

M-- Not a drymouth feeling as i expected until the second half of the bottle. But still it was'nt harsh enough to ruin the beer at all.

D-- As with many malt liquors take it easy they can beat you down before you know what hit ya. But it wasnt like it really kicked my butt, if it was on tap go for it have a few but you may get tired of it quickly.

I was so surprised at how good i thought this beer was. I was totally expecting to just want to chug it down and get it over with but it was enjoyable. Also if you have this one before your favorite hop-bomb you can really enhance your hop flavors. I guess im going to have a two heart after this one mmm..enhancements

3.52/5  rDev +4.8%

pours a nice golden color. some head, and some lacing. smells...corny.
first taste reminds me of a suped-up macro lager. rather sweet flavor. very light mouthy feel. very sweet beverage, but drinkable and enjoyable. makes you feel classy even. interesting interpretation of the style

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor from Rogue Ales