2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Dad's Little Helper Malt LiquorDad's Little Helper Malt Liquor

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond

(Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last »
Ratings: 329 | Reviews: 269 | Show All Ratings:
rodrot

2.05/5  rDev -39.2%

This was purchased more for the novelty than anything else. I wasn't expecting much and that's exactly what I got. The beer poured a light gold color with almost no head and very little carbonation. Aroma was similar to most macros, some light malt smell with a good bit of corn/vegetable mixed in. Taste was very light as well with the typical corn adjunct flavor, some malt and a barely perceptable hop taste. Mouthfeel was very light and thin. This beer had very little flavor and was quite watery and spritzy tasting to me. This is not worth the 4.79 I paid. Oh well, maybe Liquor De Malt will be a better experience.

06-30-2006 13:12:03 | More by rodrot
nlmartin

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was purchased at Jungle Jims for $4.99. The beer was served in a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear fizzy golden yellow coloration. The head was thin and off white. The head had little staying power. No lacing to speak of on the glass.

Smell: The beer smells of malty corn bread. The alcohol and the yeast produce a bit of spicyness. The hops may also add to spicyness; however, I dont think the hops are all that involved.

Taste: The beer continues to deliver the malted corn bread experience in the taste. The beer has a bit of spicyness at the end. I am not really clear if it is hops or yeast. The beer has no off flavors. This didnt get better warmer but didnt get gross.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer has a big old smooth malty mouthfeel. The beer has a big body. The beer is well carbonated and easy to drink. The beer was even ok as it warmed up. The novelty of upscale malt liquor is enough to purchase and try this once; however, I will not be purchasing this beer again.

06-26-2006 11:12:47 | More by nlmartin
blackie

4.05/5  rDev +20.2%

appearance: The pour produces a low, off white head that soon recedes to just a ring around the glass. The beer is golden in color.

smell: Sulfuric and sweet corn aromas upfront. Light pale grain. Pilsner type noble hop smell and light, appley fruit aromas. Just a touch of ethanol actually adds to the depth of the nose. Just a little more strength to the aroma, I could've given a 4.5.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is a high medium, and the body medium-light to medium.

taste: Sweet pale grain and corn flavors upfront. A couple off flavors normally associated in my mind with malt liquor that I can't quite describe. Light hop flavor and bitterness. Just a touch of ethanol

drinkability: cake for a malt

Second only to Liquor de Malt. I'd like to see a little more strength of smell and taste.

06-25-2006 02:34:14 | More by blackie
SupaCelt

This review is based on the "American Malt Liquor" style. That being said, I think this takes the cake for the best malt lickra I've ever had. Let it be known that I was somewhat of a connoisseur of this style at one time in my life. It is a dirty sort of yellow. Not quite golden. A small bubbly white head emerged to cap off the glass but alas it fell away without hesitation in true malt lickra fashion. Lace? No. This is malt lickra. The nose holds some character. It is a bit corn syrupy. The Czech pils yeast almost creates an atmosphere that makes this thing smell a bit too classy. Almost. It seems to have a faintly spicy nutmeg aroma that mingles in with a dry grassiness. It reminds me of the Atwater Block house character for some reason or another. The taste is a bit punchy with alcoholic raw malt lickra intensity. At least that is what my dad thought when we split his bottle. I am relatively unphased by alcoholic impression unless the brew is an extreme one. This is still fairly mild and unintrusive according to my palate. I can feel it going to me brain however. This is really a nice little brew. The mouthfeel is light enough keep this thing drinkable and just thick enough to let you know that it is not exactly a light hearted concoction. Naysayers be damned. If this ain't a good offering for the style what is? I'll bet if this was called an "Imperial Pilsner," it would get better marks. Fight negative stereotypes and vote with your heart. Make the world a better place. Remember that bums from the alley would have to pan handle four times as long to score this one. Plus, it isn't even a forty ouncer. Maybe then, the beer snob in you will give this fine malt lickra some props.

06-23-2006 06:07:26 | More by SupaCelt
scruffwhor

2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Appearance- Pours a crappy, sparse head with quick dispersion. The color is very Czech pils like. A golden yellow with light amber hints in the middle. The bubbling is also very pils-like with a moderate amount of bubbles inching their way to the surface.

Smell- A bland, tart apple, puckery light malt aroma.

Taste- Starts with a corny, adjunct flavor then some of the pilsnery malts take over. Then the pelletized hopping takes over at the end.

Mouthfeel- The finish stuck with my palate way too long after each sip. If there was better dissipation, it would have gotten a better review, but the aftertaste was a little cloying.

06-23-2006 05:41:09 | More by scruffwhor
RonfromJersey

2.65/5  rDev -21.4%

Bright, bold, yellow-orange body, crystal clear. Three inches of snow white foam on top, rapidly snap, crackle, and popping away.Soon the head is a sheer lace tablecloth. Certainly looks better than your typical malt liquor.

Very grassy aroma, bit of hay, and a "cheap beer aroma", which I'm going to guess is from the corn. Frankly, it smells like a beer you don't want to spill on the den carpet.

Taste starts with a medium sweetness, neither the depth of good caramel nor the sickening cloying of a pixie stick. Very low level hop wave blunts the sweetness but makes little impression on its own. Bit of alcohol bite in the finish/aftertaste.

OK light-medium mouthfeel. Seems to be flattening quickly though.

Drinkability hurt by the alcohol bite in the finish.

Now that I've tried a craft-brewed malt liquor, I will ask, "what's the point?" Isn't this a style that the craft beer revolution is fighting? Does it taste better than Colt 45 ? I don't know, I haven't had a cheap malt liquor (that was one phase of beer evolution I missed). I do know that a sixer of Stroh's might be a better use of the cost of this bomber. It's not awful, but I see no reason to recommend it either.

06-20-2006 03:36:01 | More by RonfromJersey
sabrills70

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

22oz brown bottle with no freshness date. Pours a clear golden yellow with a large bubble 1 finger head, OK longevity and poor lace. Need a decent whif but big malts are there with a touch of fruityness. Malt is king in the flavor. Leaves a nice mild biterness in the aftertaste. A decent malt liquor.

06-17-2006 20:20:42 | More by sabrills70
Golden2wenty1

Wisconsin

3.4/5  rDev +0.9%

Picked up a bomber at Riley's here in Madison. Let's see how it stacks up against the venerable Liquor de Malt.

Pours a rather pedestrian pale golden yellow with a short, fleeting white head and a few carbonation streams. Nose is obviously dominated by sweet malt, but accented by some nice "fruit' and mild hop notes. Taste, I must say rivals the LdM with sweet caramel corn, a hint of vegetals, again with a light fruitiness and a subtle bittering hop and finishing with a hearty alcohol smack. This nicely falls into the middle ground between true craft beer and swill. Just as hard to rate as the LdM, within the style it's right up there in the pantheon; on its own merits, not something I'd choose to purchase again but that I wouldn't turn down either. Style points to LdM for the hand-stamped brown bag though.

edit: not a surprise, but gets a little funky and sour as it warms...drink this stuff COLD and you're golden.

06-14-2006 00:30:02 | More by Golden2wenty1
tavernjef

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Perfectly clear spotlight yellow. Soft, fading white cap of firm foam. A skimming of bubbles hangs around for most of its time in the glass. Some lacing is distributed along the edge closer to the liquid in rounded patches and sheets.

Aroma is nearly non existent as it kinda stymies itself in a hovering pale sweetness of malt grain thats soft and bready and hard to get in the nose unless you wiff in big.

Taste is all solid malty smoothness, but not a whole lot of flavor really. Dulled...dulled some more and semi, lightly tanged and cloying malty breadish tones with a heavy buttered corn accent topping off the middle into the finish. Finish is quick but soft and creamy with a malty body and clean Maibock-like cloying sweetness that coats the mouth well. The Harrington malts are quite evident with that certain bready, doughy centeredness of paled, dull tang and soaking.

Feel is quite nice. Malt is king of this throne. Ruling with a steady hand of Harrington malt coating ever so smoothly with bready softness and sticky, cloying thickness thats not overbearing but definately pushing its borders with a clean slice of medium body and a fairly long rule of semi sweet, bready, tangaifingly broad scape of malty clean soothingness.

I could drink this into oblivion, but would easily get bored of its paled, uninteresting flavor. The body of the beer is great, but beyong that its not much; yet it could be everything to the right person. Leave it to Rogue to make a Malt Liquor that almost makes you wish there were more like it. Dad's Little Helper could be just that, depending on the Dad of course...

06-13-2006 02:00:04 | More by tavernjef
cproioi

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Yellow in color with a white head that subsides quickly and left little lacing.

S: Very sweet. It had a large malt aroma.

T: Eh, it tasted good, for a malt liquor that is. It wasn't too bad but I wouldn't buy it again. However, for the style it was one of the best malt liquors I've had.

M: Highly carbonated. But yet rather watery.

D: Like I said I wouldn't go out a search for this beer again however if it was given to me I'd drink it. This beer went down smoothly and was very easily drank.

06-10-2006 13:56:06 | More by cproioi
Foxman

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

It pours a crystal clear golden yellow, bright and fairly carbonated. A finger of pithy white head drops soon to a fuzzy vellum. Small notes of lacing staff the inside of the glass.

The aroma carries a slightly sweet grassy grain presence along with a can of corn Niblet aura. A tinny touch of peppery hops drifts about.

Upon sipping, there's a notably light malt sweetness, with fleeting berry fruit and corn, as well as a crusty baked dough yeast undertone. The hops lend a vague pepper spice and metal combo, a bit off and remotely skunky. The finish is a quick drop off from residual malt and hop bitterness to just a vague remembrance of both. It's a novelty beer with a novelty flavor, rather quick and fast away.

Light bodied, the carbonation is peppy, but it is thin with minimal real feel to it.

I chuckled when I saw the name. The I realized DFH could no longer claim the only craft-brewed malt liquor, if that's something to which to aspire. Maybe it's the style, but it's thinnner and quicker than I want a beer to be. One strength is its drinkability, and it does go down rather easily. Still, there's only so much you can do with this style, and those limitations show clearly here.

Serving type: nitro-tap

06-07-2006 19:55:00 | More by Foxman
GCBrewingCo

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear pale golden with a white and very quickly retreating head which lasted but an instant and could not lace the glass.

The aroma was fruity with a corny aromatic. Some caramel existed in the aroma and a light maltiness.

The flavor was fruity and light with corn flavor sweet and most prevalent. The flavor contained a moderate caramel flavor and a just enough bittering to head the beer toward a dry side.

The finish was just dry and corn flavor lasting long into the aftertaste. The body was medium with a fairly low carbonation level. A bit too sweet, but the corn was interesting. A bit of alcohol warming was notable post consumption.

22 ounce bottle.

05-25-2006 21:46:24 | More by GCBrewingCo
mynie

Indiana

3.4/5  rDev +0.9%

I've been itching to try a fancy malt liquor ever since I saw Dogfish Head's classy stamped paper bag. Unfortunately, 3 Floyds was all out of Dolomite during my last visit, and so I figured my best bet would be in a trade.

But then I stopped at the store and nearly passed over this here bottle, which at a glance looks a lot like the Nut Brown ale. I did a double take, grabbed it, and find myself here, three hours later, pouring out a dark gold beer with a very small white head that falls away.

Smells of deep corn, grain, and hints of alcohol. A lot like a regular malt liquor, actually. No Rogue pacmanniness, or anything. Just cheap grain.

Tastes pretty decent. Good pils grain up front, moving into a dry, sweet yeast in the middle which floats into a kettle corn kind of sweetness, ending on a solid dry cascade hop. The brew loses .5 due to an unfortunate chemical aftertaste--just like you get in Olde English or Mickey's!

Firm body and easy drinking, but that's not enough to save this brew. Might as well pay half as much for half as much Old E'.

05-22-2006 01:09:58 | More by mynie
MaltyGoodness

2.95/5  rDev -12.5%

22oz. bottle

Pours a crystal clear golden color with a fizzy white head that fades. No lacing on the glass.

Aroma of sweet malt, corn, and booze. Reminds me of Crazy Horse.

Taste is sweet and malty upfront followed by a bunch of corn and booze. Finishes sweet and malty.

Body seems a little syrupy. Decent carbonation.

Rogue has really hit this style on the head. It is a classic malt liquor, which is like Crazy Horse on steroids (if such a thing there be). Although, I really enjoyed the novelty more than the beer itself.

05-20-2006 02:10:21 | More by MaltyGoodness
Shaw

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

I saw a bottle of this at my local Whole Foods and couldn't resist! It's probably been 10 years since I had any malt liquor -- other than Pizza Port's Brown Bag Malt Liquor.

It pours a golden yellow that a lot deeper colored than a typical malt liquor. It has a lovely puffy white head that reduces to a thin ring in my glass.

It smells sweet, almost like diacetyl? I'm not noticing any hops, which is a little strange for Rogue.

Well, this sure doesn't taste like the malt liquors I remember: This beer tastes good. It's lightly sweet (I'd almost say it has grape-like flavors) and malty with a hint of bitterness -- miles away better from any major malt liquor I've ever had. This is one of the least hoppy beers Rogue makes.

The body is good. It's got more heft than I was expecting, which I always like.

For those who think Rogue only makes hop bombs, you should try this beer. It's very approachable. I'm sure the ABV puts it out of the session beer range, but otherwise this is a really easy-drinking brew.

05-19-2006 05:34:53 | More by Shaw
TheBungyo

Washington

3.9/5  rDev +15.7%

Let me make one thing clear. I am rating this beer TO THE STYLE. With that said, I do not like this beer. I drank too much malt liquor as a kid, and just drinking this makes me nauseous, bringing to mind too many nights spent drinking bottle after bottle of Colt 45. The reason I have rated this beer highly is because I feel that it does do what a malt liquor is supposed to do.
The pour was better than any malt liquor has any right to be. Nice 1 inch thick head atop a body that I would call just a shade under amber. Nose is muted hops and sharp sugar. Not appetizing. Taste is tangy at first, followed by semi fruity hops and a metalic sugar. Mouth feels better than any malt liquor I ever tried. If you like malt liquor, I can't imagine you wouldn't like this beer. Me, I outgrew it but was led back by curiosity. Now please excuse me while I go pour the rest of this in the drain.

05-18-2006 04:52:58 | More by TheBungyo
Tupperwolf

Washington

3.6/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

My first malt liquor. No, I've never tried OE or anything, even in my sillier days. I haven't had a chance to try Liquor de Malt so this will be my first from a craft company.

Went ahead and poured the whole bottle into my biggest glass at a cold temp. It's yellow-gold in color, with a few streams of very energetic bubbles and a fizzy, short-lasting head. It looks better than a lot of lagers that are trying hard.

The scent is distinctly lagerish, with a mild whiff of sweet corn thrown in to let you know that it's not just hops, malts, water and yeast. Nothing bad - like a macro lager, but with actual substance.

Now this is my first malt liquor, but there's definitely nothing foul going on here. It tastes like a full-bodied American lager - yes, a bit corny, but no overpowering alcohol or chemical tastes. Very refreshing at the end of the day, when I just want to flop down on my LoveSac and watch TV.

Mouthfeel is smooth; Despite the energetic carbonation visible in the glass, nothing can be felt until swallowing, whereupon it feels nice and creamy. Going a while between sips, there's a nice, lightly sticky aftertaste that forms and hangs around, enticing more sips.

This is a highly drinkable beer. I know Rogue knows how to make a good lager, as evidenced by their Uber Pils - one of my favorite pilseners from any brewery in any country - and this is a good spin on their talent. The name is amusing, too!

05-16-2006 23:52:20 | More by Tupperwolf
CualityC

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

Bought this one in a 22 oz. bomber. Kind of disappointed, if I'm going to drink some malt liquour I'd like to have it from the old 4-0. Nonetheless, I cracked this open with childlike anticipation, a new beer from Rogue! Imagine my surprise when I poured this straw yellow concoction into my pilsner glass. It looked like I had just sullied my glassware with Olde English (a good brew at the right time). It smelled as if I had just poured the farm into my glass, corn and alcohol scent creeped into the air, as if I had just distilled some bathtub moonshine in between feeding the livestock. However, one should never underestimate Rogue, one sip of this crazy beast and I knew for certain, this is the finest malt liquor I've ever consumed. The only problem, that's a little bit like being the prettyest girl at an ugly contest. This beer is drinkable, and the mouthfeel is a viscous smooth texture like Billy Dee Williams voice. Here's my only qualm, why should I pay 4.99 for 22 oz. of Rogue malt liquor, when I can pay 1.99 for 40 oz. of just anybody else's? And maybe more importantly, should I really be drinking beer just to get drunk? In the end, Rogue Beer's idea is hilarious, and their heart is in the right place, I just don't think it's fair to give them a complete pass on this one.

05-14-2006 02:26:23 | More by CualityC
aforbes10

Iowa

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Wow, this was a treat. One of the member's of our beer club went to City Wide Liquors in South Bend and the owner brought this out from the back room for him. I've been excited about trying the Dogfish Head Malt Liquor but this is just as thrilling. Poured out golden and pilsner colored with a fluffy white head. really looks like a maly liquor but mildly less suspicious. smells corny and a bit dull, kind of like OE. I taste corn, mild ethanol and fermented apples. Pretty darn smooth and non of that overwhelming water-mouth ethanol flavor you can get with some of the other malt liquors out there. Very drinkable, and a nice fun beer from Rogue.

05-12-2006 14:11:26 | More by aforbes10