Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured from the bottle into a Duvel chalice. Surprisingly active carbonation rises to form a retentive 1/2" head. The beer is a nice and full golden color. The first smell yields a husky and fruity aroma. There is a definite pilsner sort of fruityness to this. Taste is similar to the smell. As soon as it hits your tongue there is a burst of citrus. It uses the hops to open up into a slightly drier and grainy flavor. Residual sweetness stays around throughout the entire drink balanced pretty well with the bittering hops. It has a really creamy mouthfeel as well. This beer is top notch for a malt liquor. On sale for $3.53 for a 22, I might just have to go pick up some more. (680 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -12.2%

I was excited to find this recently as I thought maybe it had been retired. New batch for Father's Day? Alright, then let's get our liquor on!

Pours golden and slightly hazy, with a fizzy head that settles out to a thin film. The head can be revived a bit and sticks around, but I expected a bit more effervescence.

Aroma is sweet corn and a bit of floral hop. Some horse-feed graininess, but none of the stale cooked corn smell of a standard malt liquor.

Taste is of sweet corn, wet grains, and some herbal hops (a hint of mint and grass, but all in the background).

Mouthfeel is not exactly crisp, but relatively clean. Round, slick, and just short of cloying. Carbonation is moderate, but seems low for the style, lacking some desirable scrubbing action. For a malt liquor there are no fusel alcohol aromas or flavors. The finish is not quite bitter enough to clear the palate, leaving too much residual sweetness.

While this would go down pretty good at a backyard BBQ or late night rave, at $5.99 for a 22-oz bomber, it begs the question, "What's the point?" (1,070 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +20.5%

22oz brown bottle obtained at McKinnon's in Salem. Pours a crystal-clear yellow body with virtually no head to speak of. Smell is anything but strong, but hints at cooked corn, grain, and a small bit of alcohol. Actually tastes good - baker's cocoa and caramel take their place with husky grain, cooked corn, and just a hint of the alcohol. Light bodied as expected, with moderate to full carbonation. All-in-all, not a bad beer. Not something I'd get all the time, but for the style, it's definitely one of the better ones (though not quite as good as DFH Liquor de Malt IMO) - reminds me of a tastier better-made version of Steel Reserve. (640 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +37.8%

Bought at Nikki's Liquors in PVD. Found out last week that the best liquor store in the area is 2 miles from work. I can go on my lunch break!! Also note.. I've tried damn near any malt liquor out there, reviews coming soon. This is one style of beer that I have a LOT of experience with. Ah, college. Good times, good times.

A- Moderately deep orange, a lot more color than expected. I consider myself a 40oz malt liquor expert, and this one looks awesome for the style.

S- Corn and malt sweetness. No alcohol detected. Very classic malt liquor smell.... although I can't recall a 40 that ever smelled as good as this. Kind of reminds me of cornbread.

T- Unreal. Good, strong malt mouthfeel with enough hops for a great crispness. Sweet and full-bodied. A tasty malt liquor... that is actually meant to be enjoyed and not pounded. Wow... I'm amazed at the quality considering the style. Spot-on.

M- Classic, refined. This is what you want 40s to taste like. Enough flavor, crispness, and body to keep you happy.

D- Through the roof. In college I downed 2 40s with ease. One bomber is all I have, but believe me when I say I'd drink another couple in a heartbeat.

This style is dear to me, and unfortunately I have a lot of experience with malt liquor. This is the best of the style I've ever found.... Thanks, Rogue! Put this into some 40ozers!!!

Also note, this high score is within the style and not reflected upon my overall high-scores. For the style, this beer earns its score with ease. (1,502 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured a clear darker gold with a small ring of bubbles as a head. No lacing. That good ole malt liquor aroma; malty, sugary, and alcohol-medicinal-veggie. Its a scent all of its own. Taste is the same, just not as chewy as a Mickey's. Malty-sweet, sugary, and grainy. Corn syrup with some hop bitterness in the finish. Didn't really entice me to drink the whole bomber, but I did before it warmed. It IS a malt liquor, after all. (430 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Poured a bright sunset orange that has mild amber tinting. Head was minimal with fair retention. There was no lacing but this sat in the glass a crisply glowing liquid.

S: Not a whole lot in the nose. Hints of corn and grain cereal with a touch of honey.

T: Thin syrupy sweetness. No tastes of hops but plenty of caramel and candy malt flavors. Balances out nicely with some apple and pear roundness. Faint pinch of ginger spiciness towards the end.

M: Nice carbonation and a good heavy medium mouth feel

D: Actually for this style I found it to be very drinkable and very enjoyable. I like the idea of a craft malt liquor. I had no idea what to expect with this one but I was hoping for something more offensive and loaded with booze. This turned out to be quite the opposite which is a compliment to Rogue. (815 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours out a Golden Yellow color, plenty of life, totally clear with a thin white, fizzy head that's gone baby gone!

Sweet honey aroma in the malt, then becoming more tart with slight herbs and pepper. A sour-yeastiness is detected that is brett-ish, perhaps this one has seen better days?

A tangy, sour and sickly sweet malt pops out first, but something doesn't seem right here. Tart and tangy?? did this yeast run-amok?? The feel is also pretty flat and lifeless looking and tasting. Herbal tang and green veggies just does not cut it. The flaked corn is unique aspect but I can't detect any of it's effects. I've actually used flaked corn in my homebrew before, and it just doesn't come through here.

I'm willing to give this another shot, hopefully the next one will be much better. (792 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -7.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a foamy white cap that retains nicely and leaves a few shards of lace

Smell: Sweet malt, plenty of corn and a hint of hops underneath

Taste: Sweet cereal flavors up front, with just a hint of hop bitterness appearing by mid-palate; after the swallow, there is just a ton of corn syrup sweetness that lasts into the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: An interesting novelty but certainly not something to explore again (512 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -12.5%

Bomber picked up for 5 skippers. Poured into a tulip it takes some effort to get a result. Bright copper body like a brand new penny.

Well it really is similar to a garden variety malt liquor. I'm not talking Bull Ice or the real tough to swallow malt liquor. This is easily consumed and has a bit of spice at the end to keep it somewhat balanced. This lays heavily on the toasted malt and sweet malt side of the house.

Notes: Hmmmm under the price per value this one falls short. Its a decent brew but not one I'll seek out anytime soon. (541 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +4.5%

One of a handful of craft brewed Malt Liquors on the market. The others I can think of our Liquor de Malt from Dogfish Head and Tap and Die from People's Pint here in Western Mass. For more on the Malt Liquor scene you can check out www.40ozmaltliquor.com

Pours a light golden/orange color almost yellow with a good inch plus of super fluffy white head. Looks super clean and clear with a bit of bubble action.

Smells a bit of sour malt, dark wheat, brown sugar and honey.

Tastes very rich and sweet for the color, that kind of threw me off. Its very malty with a nice sweet taste of honey and caramel. Not bad really, its quite unique and MUCH MUCH better than any nasty 40 of Malt Liquor I had back in college. Dad's Little Helper GOOD, Bull Ice BAD!

Good stuff, I wish they had put this in a 40 oz! That would be great! (827 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22oz. brown bottle poured into a mug. Something about this beer just screamed, "pour me into a hefty mug."

A- A moderate pour left about 1 finger worth of fluffy white head atop a hazy, golden-orange body. There was medium to heavy carbonation. The head dropped to a full lace fairly quickly and left some good sticky rings on the glass. Eventually, all signs of a head went away, and would return with a gentle swirl of the mug.

S- On first inspection, it seemed cleaner than most Malt Liquors I've encountered. It had more of a fruity aroma than the vegetal attributes I'd expect. A second, and more, wiffs gave off some really sweet malts (maybe caramel) and some of the classic adjuncts (cooked corn perhaps).

T- As many have stated, it tastes like a really good malt liquor. I guess that's kind of a loaded statement. It was more flavorful (some nice sweet malty flavors that sometimes get lost in the quest for wringing out as much alcohol as possible along with a soft alcohol flavor that doesn't "burn" like many malt liquors), but still had some of the negatives I'd associate with the style (cooked vegetable tastes).

M- It had a pretty full feel. It was a bit grainy and had a slight bite from the alcohol. Pleasant, moderate carbonation. All in all, better than an average malt liquor.

D- I guess American Malt Liquor isn't necessarily known for its drinkability. This beer kind of fit the mold. On the positive side was the full flavor. In the end, the malt liquor aspects won out. The adjuncts became a little overwhelming and the alcohol really kicked in. I'm glad I gave it a shot (thank you marketing genius), but I wouldn't spend the money on this again. It was definitely better than a $2 forty, but doesn't compare to most $5-$6 bombers. (1,762 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +15.2%

Not a great pour on my part, but it looks like a yellow fizzy mess. As it dissipates, I must note the stickiness as the suds slither down the glass sides. The side residuals are by far the most impressive aspect of this brew's appearance. Without that, I might wonder why a Butt Light is in this type of glass.

Smells purty much like a malt liquor. I'm reminded of ashtrays and cigarette buttes lingering on the floor of a bar in the morning. It's really spot-on for a malt liquor. I'll take style in mind as I rate what is actually a not-so-fragrant smell as "good." This beer smells like a malt liquor.

It tastes better than your average malt liquor. Granted, I grew up on King Cobras and MD 20/20s, so it ain't saying a whole lot if it's better than those (I guess MD is actually some sorta wine). It's light, well-carbonated, and--believe it or not--refreshing. I'm impressed. I think it's easy to say: it's the best malt liquor I've ever had. I keep sipping it, wondering how best to describe it. Astonishingly, it's purty good. Nothing to write home about, but a malt liquor...? It's incredibly well-balanced, easy to drink, and pleasant on the palate.

Even with style in mind, there ain't a whole lot going on in the palate. I'm unsure how to rate that because that's probably the intention. Flavors certainly don't burst thru the beverage as it rests in my mouth, but the cig and ashtray associations disappear as I enjoy this malt liquor beverage. I honestly think I'd argue vehemently that this isn't a malt liquor had I not seen the label. I didn't think malt liquors were supposed to be pleasant.

Though it's nowhere near my favorite beer, it's a darn drinkable malt liquor! Not one I'd have in stock all the time, but this was a Fathers' Day present. As I read the back and recognize this concoction is indeed a genuine tribute to dads, I feel certain it's worthy of Fathers' Day tradition. Needless to say, I'm proud to be a father; I'm ashamed, however, that I kinda scoffed at this beer when it was presented as a gift. I feel again like I did when I voiced displeasure as a kid about getting a He-Man carrying case (who would bought an 8yr old a carrying case, though?)--I got a spankin' then, and probably deserved one when I initially reacted to this. Fortunately, I'm the dad now. By the power vested in me as such, I'll deem this a purty darned good beer! (2,380 characters)

22oz brown glass pry-top. No date.

Appearance: Poured with some sudsy white head that faded rather quickly. Hazy yellow.

Nose: Smells like over-worked pale malt, a light citrus note and something like cotton.

Palate: Rather large body for the style with decent mouthfeel that quickly gives way to malt-liquor corn-beer flavors. Crisp and moderately clean, but sweet underneath the drying carbonation.

Notes: Meh, it's malt liquor. Is it better than Colt 45, yes. Do I really want to pay that much more for this instead of Colt 45 if I want malt liquor? No. Good gift for Dad's day, other than that, not impressed. (617 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours golden yellow with a 1 finger white head that fades fast and leaves no lacing

smell is faint but hints of fruit and metal

taste is very sweet - apples grains and that funky metalic flavor

mouthfeel is a medium body beer with good carbonation that gives it a nice somewhat crisp clean finish

drinkability was ok - i doubt i ever buy this beer again but this is the best malt liquor i have had to date (410 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

From the 1 pt. 6 fl. oz. bottle with no lot number or expiration date noted. Sampled on June 5, 2009 on a muggy but mild night. The pour is a slightly cloudy pale-amber with short-lived foamy white head that bubbles away into oblivion. The smell has a sweetness and a sourness to it and I do not notice much in the way of malts. But there's a roasted, bready aroma to it also. The mouthfeel is rathe creamy and of medium texture. There are malts in the flavor but the dominating taste is of the alcohol that tends to cut through my taste buds and roar down my throat. Quite satifying really. (591 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -29.8%

pours a nice peachy amber color with a thin, quickly receding head. Light carbonation.

Nose is full of brown sugar, wheat chaff, hints of cinammon.

Tastes syrupy and, and...can't quite put my finger on it. Like there's a really sweet, lemony vanilla cake that's put in your mouth and then taken out again before you can chew it. It feels watery and imbalanced, with no hops or malt to deal with the sweetness.

If I'd brewed it, I'd think "sweet, this is one of my better homebrews," but coming from Rogue I expect a lot more. (528 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -7.4%

Light golden color, with yellow hues in the thinner part of the glass. Pours with a fair amount of white head composed of bubbles of many sizes, though none are particularly large. Not very retention, no cap, and hardly any ring.

Aroma of [American] malt liquor. Tangy, grainy malt. I do detect some corn in the background, I think, but to my nose the corn quality is overstated by many other reviewers. The tang evidences a bit of a metallic quality. A very slight ethanol note.

Sweet taste, offset by just enough hops to keep the malt from being overwhelming, and a small but noticeable alcohol taste. Better than most malt liquors, but altogether its still not the most pleasant tasting brew. The 3.5 is by style, not my overall impression. Grainy but sweet bread taste to finish.

Alcohol presence lends some crispness to the feel, but the light carbonation becomes very creamy. The grain, slight alcohol tinge, and creamy feel just quite jibe to my mind. (961 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of grain, light malts, honey and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of caramel and honey. There's a thin malt character but enough to provide a little substance. The hops presence is mild and there's not much trace of alcohol as you usually get in a malt liquor. The after-taste is sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: A little tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, good kick, nice representation of style while not seeming as cheaply made as most in the style, it's definitely one of the best Malt Liquors that I've had but my choices overall would have to be limited for me to drink it. (871 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -50%

I don't have any idea how this beer received a B-. It was indistinguishable from what I remember any other malt liquor beer ever tasted like.

I think there were some sympathy ratings here. Rouge should discontinue this as it is the black sheep of their family of beers. (270 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -2.4%

Had bought two bottle of this beer to have a good idea for a review....

Poored from a bottle @ 5 oC, yellow light appricot in color. i guess this one is not filtered because it's hazy and getting more and more trouble as emptying it!

Faint nose, sweet, smell something, maybe corn because I know it is made off, but this is extrapolation... No nose of hops at all. Expect low IBU for this one.

Mouth is Ok, not revealing much to me. Carbonation is medium-low. Metal taste in mouth and malt is very present as expected.

Drinkability is ok. Not much to say about this beer except that I'm a bit disapointed to be honest. I was hoping something more "Rogue", but I got something... else! something, not mainstream, but usual. Too bad! Glad to have tasted it, but will look for other very good and pleasent Rogue product. (821 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%

Got this on sale for 1.99 at Kenny Road Market in Columbus.
Seems like the right drink for hard times.

Served in a plain, clean water glass at 47 degrees F.

Appearance: it's the color of honey. Almost no head retention. It's not particularly fizzy. Real minor lacing.

Smell: there's something familiar about this smell. It reminds me of the smell of Macallan Scotch whisky with a hint of radiator coolant. The malt kind of hides the corn, so it's not that corn city-watery-chlorine Anheiser Busch smell.

Taste: wow, this stuff tastes sweet. To me, it seems just as sweet as Coca-Cola. Zero bitterness as far as I could detect. What a strange thing to drink. A little roasty-toasty thing going on toward the end. A faint little medicinal aftertaste. To me, almost zero hops in the taste.

Mouthfeel: it's a little syrupy.

I'm not certain what the ABV is on this one. The web's contradicting itself... Depending on who you talk to, it's either 5.3%, 6.9%, 7.2%, or 8.5%. Judging by the buzz-factor, I don't think it's 5.3%.

The bottle says it's 17 degrees plato. If 1 degree plato is 1% sugar in the wort, that says this has around 17% sugar in the wort. I guess that explains the sweetness if any of that remains unfermented. (1,234 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +8%

Poured into my normal reviewing glass. A pale golden color, with almost no head.

Malty, a little dry, this is pretty much what I expected. Very Macro-ish tasting. I wish I knew how much ABV was in this before I down it.

Nothing wrong with this brew, not much good either.

However, compared to other Malt Liquors its like a fine wine. (339 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +3.6%

Have to admit the word Malt Liquor makes me think of down and outers spending their last 15 bucks on 3 bottles of Big Bear.

Interesting look about this one. A slightly hazy light aprocot in color. BDecent bone white head and decent lacing.

Relieved that it foesn't smell like gasoline, corn syrup, etc...but then it really doesn't smell like much @ all.

Certainly doesn't taste like most malt liquors in a lot of ways either...a good thing. Slighty boozy, which surprised me given a fairly low abv of 5.3%. Has that corn sweetness and stickiness, but the hop bitterness toward the middle of the flavor ride was a nice addition to the experience. Much nicer balance than most of it's AML bethren.

Carbonation level seems about right. More and it would seem a bit harsh, less and it would make the sticky sweetness overbearing.

Worth a try if only to experience a well crafted malt liquor. Having said that it was a bit too sweet to have more than 1 650ml offering. (969 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +7.7%

Rogue malt liquor?? how could you pass that up? despite the $7 price tag i got it anyway...

pours a clear pale yellow color with a decent head that simmers into a very small lacing around the glass. decent carbonation.

smells very sweet. tons and tons of malts-- as it should. faint fruit smells-- maybe apple or grape. no signs of hops.

tastes good-- especially for malt liquor. very very sweet. malts all over the place. the fruity-apple taste is back, and i like it. i dont think ive had a good tasting malt liquor before, im really glad rogue changed my opinion on malt liqour

mouthfeel is pretty average, but good. well carbonated, but not overly so.

drinkability is ok-- i wouldnt want to drink tons of this stuff, cause the malts might get to me after a while, as much as i love malts. drinkability is outstanding compared to other malt liquors though.

overall-- you should try this beer if you can find it. if you love malts like i do-- this beers for you. (970 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -0.3%

A - Pours medium yellow in color and crystal clear. Head is pretty minimal and doesn't stick around at all. Some lacing sticks around once the brew is gone but not very much. There is a good amount of active carbonation that just keeps going and going that fuels a thin white cap of foam.

S - Nose is mild and simple. Grain and alcohol come through first, followed by touches of honey and a very mild fruitiness.

T - Flavor is also simple. Grain and alcohol start it out. Some pale malt flavors come and go but don't stick around at all. Maybe some apple notes that I'm picking up towards the end. Not bad.

M - Medium bodied with alot of carbonation. Finish is a little sweet and comes off kind of clean.

D - Drinkability is average. This is not a bad brew but it is simple and average in almost every way. To get any real flavor or aroma relly takes some effort. Granted, other selections from the style pale in comparison. The alcohol only gets in the way ever so slightly. The Little Helper is definitely worth a try for anyone wanting to try something differnt. (1,072 characters)

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor from Rogue Ales