Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor Alström Bros
firstprev| 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next → last
2.18/5  rDev -35.1%

I have to admit that I wouldnt't have given this beer a second look had it not been a) brewed by Rogue and b) had a great name.

I've had this beer twice and enjoyed it quite a bit more the first time. My taste in beer has changed quite a bit though even in the past six months, and while before I was into craft beer, now I'm REALLY into craft beer and my palate is much more picky.

Appearance is a hazy, opaque yellow with a greenish tint. Fizzy head which dissipates immediately.

Smell is probably this beer's weakest point, and most likely hard to avoid this being the case if staying true to style. Not being well versed in the deliciousness of adjuncts... I can't say if the corn used is at fault or otherwise.

The taste is not horrid, and is certainly better than most macros, but still not something I'd choose again. It may be that the second bottle I got is getting a bit long in the tooth but I found that it was fairly hard to finish. Something I'm not used to with Rogue beers. Again, probably still true to style though. Definite sweet fruit and a good amount of bready, sweet malt dominate the palate.

Mouthfeel is thick, oily, and coating. Leads to a long aftertaste, which is actually pretty pleasant.

Overall, a novelty beer. I commend Rogue on making a fine malt likka, but it's not really my thing. Would make a memorable father's day gift, obviously.

Peace,
(1,401 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -29.8%

pours a nice peachy amber color with a thin, quickly receding head. Light carbonation.

Nose is full of brown sugar, wheat chaff, hints of cinammon.

Tastes syrupy and, and...can't quite put my finger on it. Like there's a really sweet, lemony vanilla cake that's put in your mouth and then taken out again before you can chew it. It feels watery and imbalanced, with no hops or malt to deal with the sweetness.

If I'd brewed it, I'd think "sweet, this is one of my better homebrews," but coming from Rogue I expect a lot more. (528 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

well well well, i was not expecting this to be anywhere near a good tasting beer that i could drink often. Poured from a 22oz bomber:

A-- Looks fairly below average as it comes out a hazy urine color. Kind of like when you have to many vitamins in your system and your body is lettin loose.

S-- not vert impressive. not a strong smell, kind of corny(pun intended)

T-- well this is the spot that impressed me the most. I FULLY expected a harsh Olde English or Steel Reserve with a majorly overwhelmingly dry finish. To my surprise it was actually quite nice. Not at all what i expected. I actually enjoyed the sweet malts and the corny nose did not come through for me, rather a dried fruit mix? mostly apples in the finish. I dont like many fruit tastes in my beer but this was just slight enough to enjoy.

M-- Not a drymouth feeling as i expected until the second half of the bottle. But still it was'nt harsh enough to ruin the beer at all.

D-- As with many malt liquors take it easy they can beat you down before you know what hit ya. But it wasnt like it really kicked my butt, if it was on tap go for it have a few but you may get tired of it quickly.

I was so surprised at how good i thought this beer was. I was totally expecting to just want to chug it down and get it over with but it was enjoyable. Also if you have this one before your favorite hop-bomb you can really enhance your hop flavors. I guess im going to have a two heart after this one mmm..enhancements (1,481 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +10.7%

Damn, son! Let's get drunk fast and cheap! What do we buy? Malt liquor of course! But what kind? Is it Colt 45? King Cobra? Hell no, we're going with a classy (and slightly more expensive) brew to get us snookered. We're going with Dad's Little Helper, one of Rogue's best offerings. This beer is delectable in every way, and its name is both cool and clever. Drink up. (369 characters)

Rogue is on to something here. I think it is great that they and other small breweries are taking something the Macro brews have been doing with no soul, and showing that aroma, flavor, body can be present in a "malt liquor."

A: Deep golden hue, with hints of copper, was expecting something lighter. Nice head, fairly creamy in appearance.
S: An fairly strong aroma. Malt is certainly present, along with corn and perhaps rice. Pretty sweet, with a hint of alcohol, was expecting a bit more though being this is a malt liquor.
T: Very nice, refreshing actually. Malt and corn upfront, followed by a bit of sweetness and a alcohol kick. Just the right amount.
M: Just what you would expect, pretty light. I found this to have a round mouth-feel that you don't' get from the macro versions. Perhaps I was not concerned with such characteristics in my younger years.
D: Very drinkable. I could easily drink this often. Don't think I would go as far as saying they should offer a 40oz, but could drink a 6 pack over the course of an evening. Does not need anymore alcohol in my opinion. (1,085 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -21.4%

Wanted to try this after listening to the Jamil Show on cloning it wondering how this bad boy tasted.

A - Poured a nice clear yellow. Not much of a head but stuck around a lot longer then most malt liqours.

S - Smelled very musty, just like a malty mustiness that was not pleasant at all to me. Might have been on the shelf for a while but was not impressed with the aroma. Not very pleasing to me at all.

T - The first thing that hit me was a corn like sweetness. Surprisingly it has a good amount of body and residual sweetness. After that just a light bitterness lingers on the tongue. I could pick up hints of vanilla and green apple.

M - As stated a pretty decent body on this one. Not a thin fizzy beer at all.

D - Not bad you could probably down a few but at this price why bother.

So to sum up worth a try once but at this price not really one I would go back to. If it were like $2 for a bomber I would probably buy it every once in a while but at $6 a bomber forget about it. (993 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Courtesy of BA r0nyn and shared with BA infi, and BA johnjae.

A: Poured hazy orange with floaties all around. Frothy head upon pour. A moderate amount of bubble action mixed with floaty action and this thing looks very active.

S: Smells mostly of sweet corn. This serves as an odd smell for me but this is new and maybe can see myself liking it in the future.

T: Taste was almost exactly as the smell. Taste mostly of corn and an okay mix of malts mixed into this. As this beer warmed up it became harder to drink for me.

M: This beer was borderline medium bodied from the light bodied.

D: Okay to drink, not able to taste the alcohol at all in it. Don't know if i would recommend this brew to anyone else, but I'd say to at least try it. (781 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +22.9%

Since the moment I saw this beer, It was something that I had to try. A beer called "Dads Little Helper Malt Liquor" gave you an interesting and mysterious introduction about what this beer could be. Excellent appearance, orange color, almost a dense feeling going around. Notes of everywhere, leaving a trace all over the glass. A sour and sugary smell, like candy with salt, something different difficult to catch for me. The taste took me to some saison beers, i dont know why, but this taste is magnificient. nice ending, not too sweet. Alcohol balance. A fruit flavor predominant, with some citrus like orange and lemon. The mouthfeel left you a sticky ending, but also very smooth.
An excellent beer that I would look for sure the next time. Excellent piece of work by Rogue. (781 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

poured from a bomber, nearly ice cold, and I think this might be the best way to drink this one.
malty taste, with a bit of caramel sweetness. the alcohol is noticeable, but not unpleasant, and it was kind of expected anyway. a little rough around the edges, but not hard to knock this one back.
you pretty much know what you're getting with malt liquor, so no disappointment here. in fact, I was actually pretty pleased with how it tasted. not something I'd buy regularly, but it's definitely worth checking out, even if you're not a big malt liquor fan. (555 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +4.8%

Dad's little helper is a nice simple and drinkable beer.

The color tone is the same nice golden of most beers of this style.

There is a slight hoppiness and a smooth drinkability.

Not the best beer I've had but definitely a damn drinkable beer. Maybe a nice introduction beer for those who are new to microbrews.

Rogue hasn't made anything that I have tried and didn't like yet so here's to another success (410 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -19.6%

I had to pick this one up when I saw it. As the father of two kids, how could I pass it up? I fully expect this beer to be gross, but at least I can keep the bottle.

I drank it straight out of the bottle in honor of the Malt Liquor style so I have to say the appearance is excellent because I love the bottle and the little story on the back.

The smell and taste can be wrapped into one section. It basically reminds me of putting bread in a blender with some water and blending it up (will it blend?). That is not to say it is terribly bad. Having cut my teeth on Steel Reserve and similar brews as a kid, I was afraid this beer would take me back to that awful place. Not so. The malts hit hard and the corn listed on the ingredients is nowhere to be found on my palate.

Mouthfeel is a but too rich and syrupy to handle. You probably won't find anyone drinking more than one of these. The alcohol content is unknown, but it feels pretty strong after downing about half of it.

To summarize, I expected much worse and ended up finishing the whole 22oz bottle with a smile on my face. I can't say I could do that with most malt liquors. (1,140 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -50%

I don't have any idea how this beer received a B-. It was indistinguishable from what I remember any other malt liquor beer ever tasted like.

I think there were some sympathy ratings here. Rouge should discontinue this as it is the black sheep of their family of beers. (270 characters)

For a malt liquor you really are not going to get anything better taste wise from one. Even though i paid 4 bucks for a 22 oz, I felt like i was totally satisfied being that i have had my fair share of malt liquors. It has that classic golden malt liquor color, not any different from Kobra or Colt. This is a very smooth ride just like most rogue brews, but not much going on in this one other than malts. All I really have to say is for the price its worth the try at least. I would rather have their other brews but not a disappointment in the least bit. I just kind of picked it up for a nostalgic kind of thing. Most people would be satisfied i think. (656 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -12.8%

Presentation: 22oz Bottle, distinctively Rougue.

Appearance: Pours a dark yellow, small white head that quickly fades leaving little to no trace.

Smell: Malty corn, not a whole lot going on here.

Taste: Nicely carbonated mouthfeel. Slightly sweet, corn-y and alcoholic in taste. Decent malt backbone, even some hop character present, but it is hard to get past the taste of the stale corn.

Overall: To me this tastes like most other malt liquors(I thinking a slightly hoppy OE here) that cost half as much for twice as much. I had this in a tasting with DFH Liquor De Malt and that blew this away. (610 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +25%

I've searched far and wide for this, but I only found a few in 4 months of searching and now I'm on the last one. The color is orange in color, slightly lighter than an orange peel and a slim amount of head. Smell and taste are sweet almost sugary, with a faint and i mean faint taste of butterscotch, and the mouth feel is creamy, which i think is the only true thing the this delicious craft malt liquor has with its mass produced 40oz brethren. (447 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -10.4%

Bought this one in a 22 oz. bomber. Kind of disappointed, if I'm going to drink some malt liquour I'd like to have it from the old 4-0. Nonetheless, I cracked this open with childlike anticipation, a new beer from Rogue! Imagine my surprise when I poured this straw yellow concoction into my pilsner glass. It looked like I had just sullied my glassware with Olde English (a good brew at the right time). It smelled as if I had just poured the farm into my glass, corn and alcohol scent creeped into the air, as if I had just distilled some bathtub moonshine in between feeding the livestock. However, one should never underestimate Rogue, one sip of this crazy beast and I knew for certain, this is the finest malt liquor I've ever consumed. The only problem, that's a little bit like being the prettyest girl at an ugly contest. This beer is drinkable, and the mouthfeel is a viscous smooth texture like Billy Dee Williams voice. Here's my only qualm, why should I pay 4.99 for 22 oz. of Rogue malt liquor, when I can pay 1.99 for 40 oz. of just anybody else's? And maybe more importantly, should I really be drinking beer just to get drunk? In the end, Rogue Beer's idea is hilarious, and their heart is in the right place, I just don't think it's fair to give them a complete pass on this one. (1,297 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%

Got this on sale for 1.99 at Kenny Road Market in Columbus.
Seems like the right drink for hard times.

Served in a plain, clean water glass at 47 degrees F.

Appearance: it's the color of honey. Almost no head retention. It's not particularly fizzy. Real minor lacing.

Smell: there's something familiar about this smell. It reminds me of the smell of Macallan Scotch whisky with a hint of radiator coolant. The malt kind of hides the corn, so it's not that corn city-watery-chlorine Anheiser Busch smell.

Taste: wow, this stuff tastes sweet. To me, it seems just as sweet as Coca-Cola. Zero bitterness as far as I could detect. What a strange thing to drink. A little roasty-toasty thing going on toward the end. A faint little medicinal aftertaste. To me, almost zero hops in the taste.

Mouthfeel: it's a little syrupy.

I'm not certain what the ABV is on this one. The web's contradicting itself... Depending on who you talk to, it's either 5.3%, 6.9%, 7.2%, or 8.5%. Judging by the buzz-factor, I don't think it's 5.3%.

The bottle says it's 17 degrees plato. If 1 degree plato is 1% sugar in the wort, that says this has around 17% sugar in the wort. I guess that explains the sweetness if any of that remains unfermented. (1,234 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +22%

Really enjoyed this. It was a surprise. This poured with a thick head into my standard pint glass. It is definitely malt liquor, but I would hesitate to call it that. It was remiscent of Don de Dieu from Unibroue to me for some reason.

Great beer for an evening watching movies and hanging out. (295 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Poured into a pint glass, served around 45 degrees

A: light golden brown, minimal head retention and no lacing to speak of

S: light aroma of malt and corn, no other notes to speak of

T: Sweet and malty with no noticeable hop presence

M: Lightly carbonated and smooth, as is characteristic of the style

D: Goes down easy, nothing spectacular jumps out at you, just a nice smooth beer. I have to admit, beer snob that I usually am, I have a soft spot for cheap malt liquors, and this tastes like everything I like about Mickey's with the quality improved to the point that it warrants the Rogue name. I expected a Rogue-quality malt liquor, and I got a Rogue-quality malt liquor (681 characters)

firstprev| 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next → last