Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.20% ABV

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond

(Beer added by: aforbes10 on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor Alström Bros
GeoCait

Tennessee

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

08-31-2012 20:36:54 | More by GeoCait
rodrot

2.05/5  rDev -39.2%

This was purchased more for the novelty than anything else. I wasn't expecting much and that's exactly what I got. The beer poured a light gold color with almost no head and very little carbonation. Aroma was similar to most macros, some light malt smell with a good bit of corn/vegetable mixed in. Taste was very light as well with the typical corn adjunct flavor, some malt and a barely perceptable hop taste. Mouthfeel was very light and thin. This beer had very little flavor and was quite watery and spritzy tasting to me. This is not worth the 4.79 I paid. Oh well, maybe Liquor De Malt will be a better experience.

06-30-2006 13:12:03 | More by rodrot
TheMistler

District of Columbia

3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Light golden color, with yellow hues in the thinner part of the glass. Pours with a fair amount of white head composed of bubbles of many sizes, though none are particularly large. Not very retention, no cap, and hardly any ring.

Aroma of [American] malt liquor. Tangy, grainy malt. I do detect some corn in the background, I think, but to my nose the corn quality is overstated by many other reviewers. The tang evidences a bit of a metallic quality. A very slight ethanol note.

Sweet taste, offset by just enough hops to keep the malt from being overwhelming, and a small but noticeable alcohol taste. Better than most malt liquors, but altogether its still not the most pleasant tasting brew. The 3.5 is by style, not my overall impression. Grainy but sweet bread taste to finish.

Alcohol presence lends some crispness to the feel, but the light carbonation becomes very creamy. The grain, slight alcohol tinge, and creamy feel just quite jibe to my mind.

05-03-2009 18:28:03 | More by TheMistler
jeffmonarch

Maryland

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

1 Pint 6 Oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Cloudy golden yellow with a thin white head.

S - Sweet and malty. Very faint.

T - Sweet wheat and malt flavors. Crisp and clean.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - Good beer. I feel like I should pour this into a 40 and drink it out of a brown paper bag. Really good though.

11-04-2008 03:01:28 | More by jeffmonarch
BigJTrucker

Oregon

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Picked up this 22oz bottle at Albertsons to have after my steak and potatoes dinner. Pours into my mug a crystal clear golden color, creamy billowing off white head with heavy lacing. Smell is very fruity sweet, some green apple notes coming first to mind. Taste is very sweet, again with some apple sweet malt flavor, negligeable hop presence. Mouthfeel is very sticky, finish is moister than i was expecting. Not my favorite Rogue offering, but certainly enjoyable, and knocks the pants off any other mass market Malt Liquor. I'd love to see Rogue bottle this in the traditional 40oz bottle, just for grins =)

01-22-2008 03:41:02 | More by BigJTrucker
CWiggins

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Okay, this is the first malt liquor I've sampled, so it's not really fair for me to rate the various aspects of appearance, smell, taste, etc. However, I know that Rogue makes better-than-average beers (for the most part) so I'm trusting that their version may be superior to many of the macros. Here's my admittedly guarded review.

Tyler's Taproom in Durham always has Rogue's "John's Locker Stock" on tap. This is a rotating selection based on seasonal releases by the brewery. Dad's Little Helper has been on tap for some time; the bartender confided to me that they were having a hard time moving it. I decided to forego the free sample and have a pint in the spirit of adventure.

It was served in a Rogue pint glass. To be honest, the color was quite striking: it was a dark golden straw, completely transparent. And it looked thick, if you can imagine what that means. No substantial head formed, and no bubbles were present with two minutes of pouring. The aroma certainly betrays the heavy malts, with an almost sickening sweetness and just a bit of hops. I really had no idea what to expect from the flavor. It was mostly of corn and other grains, with some sweet malts and a slightly hoppy finish. Is this what other malt liquors are like? Hmm.

07-19-2007 00:17:23 | More by CWiggins
jwhawkins81

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

Aroma - Sweet malts with saaz hops and a watery pils aroma, which I guess is a mineral water like aroma. Also a slight corn note as well.

Appearance - Pale golden yellow without a ton of carbonation but a decent creamy head that doesn't dissipate too quickly.

Taste - Light but slightly harsh corn lager taste. Not sweet at all really. Neither great nor bad but does provide a decent balance of sweet and bitter which is not your usual malt liquor.

Notes - I picked this up at the local on sale for $1.99 which would easily make it my go to malt liquor if it was always that price. Probably the best malt liquor I've had.

04-16-2010 20:26:04 | More by jwhawkins81
smi

04-06-2012 04:57:46 | More by smi
UncleFlip

Alabama

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%

First beer of the week as I spend a few days with good friends...lets hope that's a good sign. ;)

Nice strong yellow colour,slight orangy tint. Thin white head.

Smell is srt of like a swet malt liquor with a hint of wet towel (or as a friend said, wet dog).

Flavour is better than expected- a little woody and slightly spicy, with a thick strong maltiness.

I'd like the hearty body on this one, were it not for the turbocharged carbonation.

Overall, nice and drinkable- but with some shortcomings. Good lawnmower beer.

Be well
-UF

07-15-2006 04:22:25 | More by UncleFlip
medic25

Connecticut

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Never a big malt liquor fan, but after seeing it in BA magazine I had to pick this up and try it. Color is a clear yellow-amber, with a thick white head. Malty aroma. Taste is very sweet, bready, malty flavor, not as harsh as the typical OE-type malt liquor I remember from my younger days. Nice attempt at a style that doesn't get much respect in the micro community; still not enough to convert me to the malt liquor side, but better than the typical bodega offerings.

07-13-2008 02:37:20 | More by medic25
Onibubba

Kentucky

3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Bought this on a recommendation. Pours a clear light amber with practically no head. Not much to look at. Smell immediately informs that hops are not going to be a headliner at this party. Taste is all sweet malt and grain, becoming more cloying as the beer warms. Mouthfeel is fine, smooth, slick. Drinkability is fine also, esp at cooler temps. Alcohol is not readily appearant. Not a bad beer, but not one I'll be coming back to any time soon.

06-18-2007 12:28:19 | More by Onibubba
Xul

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Pours a slightly hazy straw color, with a half finger white head that disappears almost immediately.

S: Sweet malts, almost a caramel characteristic to it, with an ever so slight whiff of hops. Not a lot going on.

T: Grains, sweet malts and the caramel taste fully develops...again, nothing to speak of as far as complexity.

M: Medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation, fairly smooth.

D: Goes down reasonably easy but not interesting enough to want much of.

05-19-2010 05:17:23 | More by Xul
marvin213

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Not a great pour on my part, but it looks like a yellow fizzy mess. As it dissipates, I must note the stickiness as the suds slither down the glass sides. The side residuals are by far the most impressive aspect of this brew's appearance. Without that, I might wonder why a Butt Light is in this type of glass.

Smells purty much like a malt liquor. I'm reminded of ashtrays and cigarette buttes lingering on the floor of a bar in the morning. It's really spot-on for a malt liquor. I'll take style in mind as I rate what is actually a not-so-fragrant smell as "good." This beer smells like a malt liquor.

It tastes better than your average malt liquor. Granted, I grew up on King Cobras and MD 20/20s, so it ain't saying a whole lot if it's better than those (I guess MD is actually some sorta wine). It's light, well-carbonated, and--believe it or not--refreshing. I'm impressed. I think it's easy to say: it's the best malt liquor I've ever had. I keep sipping it, wondering how best to describe it. Astonishingly, it's purty good. Nothing to write home about, but a malt liquor...? It's incredibly well-balanced, easy to drink, and pleasant on the palate.

Even with style in mind, there ain't a whole lot going on in the palate. I'm unsure how to rate that because that's probably the intention. Flavors certainly don't burst thru the beverage as it rests in my mouth, but the cig and ashtray associations disappear as I enjoy this malt liquor beverage. I honestly think I'd argue vehemently that this isn't a malt liquor had I not seen the label. I didn't think malt liquors were supposed to be pleasant.

Though it's nowhere near my favorite beer, it's a darn drinkable malt liquor! Not one I'd have in stock all the time, but this was a Fathers' Day present. As I read the back and recognize this concoction is indeed a genuine tribute to dads, I feel certain it's worthy of Fathers' Day tradition. Needless to say, I'm proud to be a father; I'm ashamed, however, that I kinda scoffed at this beer when it was presented as a gift. I feel again like I did when I voiced displeasure as a kid about getting a He-Man carrying case (who would bought an 8yr old a carrying case, though?)--I got a spankin' then, and probably deserved one when I initially reacted to this. Fortunately, I'm the dad now. By the power vested in me as such, I'll deem this a purty darned good beer!

06-26-2009 21:31:35 | More by marvin213
juhl31

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%

-okay, looks reminiscent of a bud or coors. not much else to say

-got some nose to it. some apple indeed

-some apple, lager taste, good apple after taste

-carby, kinda mad feeling

-if you can not think about the price, or if nothing else think about how funny the fact is that rogue made a malt liquor...not too shabby for what it is

09-05-2009 04:19:56 | More by juhl31
Tupperwolf

Washington

3.6/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

My first malt liquor. No, I've never tried OE or anything, even in my sillier days. I haven't had a chance to try Liquor de Malt so this will be my first from a craft company.

Went ahead and poured the whole bottle into my biggest glass at a cold temp. It's yellow-gold in color, with a few streams of very energetic bubbles and a fizzy, short-lasting head. It looks better than a lot of lagers that are trying hard.

The scent is distinctly lagerish, with a mild whiff of sweet corn thrown in to let you know that it's not just hops, malts, water and yeast. Nothing bad - like a macro lager, but with actual substance.

Now this is my first malt liquor, but there's definitely nothing foul going on here. It tastes like a full-bodied American lager - yes, a bit corny, but no overpowering alcohol or chemical tastes. Very refreshing at the end of the day, when I just want to flop down on my LoveSac and watch TV.

Mouthfeel is smooth; Despite the energetic carbonation visible in the glass, nothing can be felt until swallowing, whereupon it feels nice and creamy. Going a while between sips, there's a nice, lightly sticky aftertaste that forms and hangs around, enticing more sips.

This is a highly drinkable beer. I know Rogue knows how to make a good lager, as evidenced by their Uber Pils - one of my favorite pilseners from any brewery in any country - and this is a good spin on their talent. The name is amusing, too!

05-16-2006 23:52:20 | More by Tupperwolf
Lee45102

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

09-13-2012 03:19:13 | More by Lee45102
erikm25

Washington

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Poured a bright sunset orange that has mild amber tinting. Head was minimal with fair retention. There was no lacing but this sat in the glass a crisply glowing liquid.

S: Not a whole lot in the nose. Hints of corn and grain cereal with a touch of honey.

T: Thin syrupy sweetness. No tastes of hops but plenty of caramel and candy malt flavors. Balances out nicely with some apple and pear roundness. Faint pinch of ginger spiciness towards the end.

M: Nice carbonation and a good heavy medium mouth feel

D: Actually for this style I found it to be very drinkable and very enjoyable. I like the idea of a craft malt liquor. I had no idea what to expect with this one but I was hoping for something more offensive and loaded with booze. This turned out to be quite the opposite which is a compliment to Rogue.

07-17-2009 01:26:04 | More by erikm25
cracgor

3.05/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours out the grassy color you'd expect of a malt liqour. Almost no head. Amazingly aromatic. I smell the sweet/fruity hops sitting across the room, the second I open the bottle. It has a very bland taste. The hop smell comes out a little, but it's very watery. Thin mouthfeel. It's okay as far as malt liquors go, but really Rogue and other breweries should really stay away from this style instead of trying to dress it up.

02-03-2008 03:37:00 | More by cracgor
dauss

Colorado

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: 22oz. bomber. Small blurb about dedicating this beer to dads. No stamp regarding bottle or lot.

Appearance: Slightly hazy golden straw color. Small white head forms with moderate-low retention. Small stream of bubbles from the glass is indicating a higher level of carbonation. Overall a very good looking beer. Although there is haze, it may be more of a sign of mishandling by the distributor and/or liquor store.

Aroma: Grassy noble hop aroma upfront with a load of malt sweetness. Very slight hint of dimethyl sulfide and an alcoholic fusels in the background, and getting a very occasional whiff of sulfur.

Taste: Corn sweetness with a light lingering hop bitterness in the finish and notes of alcohol fusels. Not much other flavor going on here.

Mouthfeel: The body is fuller than what I have expected.

Notes: Not a bad malt liquor. I think the hop aroma is a bit too strong and the body is too full for the style. Other than that, it is easily drinkable, but the sweetness of the malt and corn is just too strong for me to drink too much of it. Alcohol warmth is noticeable, but not hot or solventy.

06-27-2010 02:32:35 | More by dauss
kgotcher

Colorado

Not really a Malt Liquor guy.

Pours a pale clear color with no head. Aroma is malty for sure with very sweet notes. Has that distinct corny smell of adjunct beers. Taste is sickly sweet and corny, like an imperial PBR or something. . . Too sweet honestly, like drinking a corn syrup concoction.

Again I don't drink malt liquor normally, this is probably a really good one but I did not enjoy it at all. I expect Rogue to try something different, but this time I don't think it works. Hard to rate since I can't compare it so I'll rate it average. But considering the price $4.00 I would expect there are much cheaper options.

07-06-2006 06:36:48 | More by kgotcher

08-19-2012 15:32:47 | More by bicyclesnbeer
JasonA

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%

STYLE STYLE STYLE.

Pours a dehydrated urine with no head and zero lacing.

No hops present. Fresh malt, zero roast of course. Above average for no hops smell and freshness.

Tastes sweet. Almost a syrup taste. Alcohol byte, my guess would be 7 or less ABV.

Could be creamy. Pretty light like a pilsner, but smoother. Finish is definately malty, light bodied.

Drinkability is somewhat low only because its not a style I would go for. However, definately a try at least once. I might even try again if its offered or on tap though I dont see myself having more than 1 on any occasion.

12-23-2006 01:27:07 | More by JasonA
ryko

Nevada

08-21-2012 08:29:41 | More by ryko
cproioi

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Yellow in color with a white head that subsides quickly and left little lacing.

S: Very sweet. It had a large malt aroma.

T: Eh, it tasted good, for a malt liquor that is. It wasn't too bad but I wouldn't buy it again. However, for the style it was one of the best malt liquors I've had.

M: Highly carbonated. But yet rather watery.

D: Like I said I wouldn't go out a search for this beer again however if it was given to me I'd drink it. This beer went down smoothly and was very easily drank.

06-10-2006 13:56:06 | More by cproioi