Monk Madness (JLS Release #18) - Rogue Ales

Monk Madness (JLS Release #18)Monk Madness (JLS Release #18)

good

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  7.40% ABV

(Beer added by: weeare138 on 10-02-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Monk Madness (JLS Release #18) Alström Bros
jhscarborough

1.98/5  rDev -46.6%

This one was recommended to me by the local purveyor, I think because they fancy me as a hop head - which I am. But, I like balance in my beer, too. Monk Madness was so excessively dry from the lack of balance that it's no wonder the monks are mad.

Carbonation was more than I expected, I'm guessing in the 2.6 volumes range.

Mouthfeel was insipid.

All in all I'd say the monk was over attenuated, and definitely singing off key.

I had to wrestle this on down, so I won't give it another glance.

11-18-2006 21:52:54 | More by jhscarborough
mymrnngjckt

2.05/5  rDev -44.7%

I had a bottle of this at the River Street Ale House.

The appereance was a chocolatly brown color. It looked very appealing to the eye. However, the look of it was the only good thing.

The beer smelled like burning plastic. The smell alone made me not want to drink this. Congratulations Rogue, this was a first.

If the beer smelled bad, the taste was 1000 times worse. It tasted like dirt. Old dirt.

Mouthfeel - It tasted like dirt and it felt like a pile of sod in my mouth.

Drinkability: I was happy when I was done drinking it. At one point, I thought about rinsing my mouth out with urinal water just to get the taste of dirt out.

This beer sucked.

04-21-2007 02:35:03 | More by mymrnngjckt
Dukeofearl

2.08/5  rDev -43.9%

When I bought this, I thought great, someone can punch up the Belgian Brown Ale style (not that there's anything wrong with it to start with, but for fun, why not?). What I got was a nice brown colored beer with foamy cola-like head (the best part of the brew), and hoppy, yeasty stuff that completely rode roughshod over what I would like to think was rich full slightly sweet malts intermingled with some nice spiciness. However, I'll never know, as the over-the-top approach of the hops made it impossible to ever know for sure. I'm sorry, I'm in the minority here I know, but I poured most of this one out. And at $5.49 a bomber, that's pretty expensive for the 8 or so ounces I was able to drink before the rest went bye-bye.

02-16-2007 16:30:38 | More by Dukeofearl
goodbyeohio

Oregon

2.15/5  rDev -42%

22oz bottle, dude is dressed as a monk with a necklace bearing the #12. he is drinking his monk ale, inappropriately, out of a big mug. oh well. it's called a brown ale on BA, but all signs (and ingredients) point to belgian dubbel. although, the hops are weird. rogue is, essentially, weird.

the beer pours beautifully. ruby red with golden highlights, thick gobs of cascading tan foam. alot of creamy topper is left after time, and peninsulas of concrete lace make maps on the glass surface. bubbles, over time, dot the cream. the beer smells just like candied dates... which is a good thing, considering the direction this beer is going in. there is a bready maltiness to it as well, more like sweet uncooked gingerbread dough. yeast comes through in the nose a bit, sharply.

first sip is a disaster. waaay too bitter for the loosely fruity sweetness in the background. sourness from the yeast permeates all flavors and mingles dangerously with what seems to be the flavor of oxidation. although in this case, i think its just ill-conceived beer. the hops add nothing useful, and do so in a painful abundance. its very bitter in the finish, but the maltiness that gets no respect here prevents excessive dryness or chalky grit in the finish.. which i guess is a good thing. the off flavors limit any semblance of drinkability. this is a barely passable brown ale, and if it's a belgian (oh god help you rogue if it is), it is clearly one of the worst belgian ales i've ever had the misfortune to sip painfully into my fat face.

please oh merciful god of the kitchen sink, accept this offering as my thanks to you for grinding up all my little food bits and disposing of water (and monk's madness) in such a timely fashion. praise to the god of the sink! blessed be thy name.

11-13-2006 23:57:54 | More by goodbyeohio
jabocu

Georgia

2.3/5  rDev -38%

Pours a ruddy brown with nice orange tones. Very full two finger cap that dissipated slowly. Aroma was slight fruitiness, caramel, and earthy backbone. Flavor was very little sweetness and almost zero malt. A little fruity sweetness in the back. The hop bite was very overpowering of everything else. Definite chinook piney bitterness, but ends with a harsh bitter chocolate resiny bite. The maltiness was not there to support the hops. Seems like they just threw some grains in to call it beer, and tried to put in as much hops as possible without paying attention to any sort of balance. Mouthfeel was very dry, and medium-high carbonation. Will pass on this in the future.

12-19-2006 18:27:55 | More by jabocu
RJLarse

Washington

2.38/5  rDev -35.8%

This one was on tap at the Elk Public House, served in a pint glass

Pours a medium brown color and is clear. A small head caps the beer, and leaves good lace in spite of it's small stature.

The smell is hoppy, evergreen scents, maybe some sour citrus.

The taste is sharp and medicinal like bourbon whiskey.

Mouth feel is sharp, hot and a little stinging.

Not a real drinkable beer. The taste is sharp and some what unpleasant. I'd make it a dark roasted cross between an IPA and a Bock. I'll pass on this one in the future.

01-28-2007 06:17:04 | More by RJLarse
MuddyFeet

2.7/5  rDev -27.2%

Served on-tap at The Village Draft House with my lunch and the Patriots game on October 22.

What is this? Thought it was some sort of Belgian brown ale. Thought this maybe was a mistake? Was not digging this beer. Took me over half the game to finish the beer.

Pours a ruby brown in color. fairly flat looking but with a slight brown head that vanishes altogether. Aroma has a slightly sour candy (butterscotch and toffee) tone.

Flavor was just way off for perhaps any style but a thin Belgian dark ale. Malts were overpowered by unripe green grapes and bananas. Slight hops bittnerness but just not enough to beat down the unripe fruit and help bring out any sweetness from the malts. Medium body that was in desperate need of thickening up a bit. Really struggled to finish this beer but it did improve as it warmed closer to room temperature.

I am not at all sure this is even close to being an American brown ale. Perhaps mis-styled?

10-22-2006 23:06:44 | More by MuddyFeet
lifeboyq

Washington

2.73/5  rDev -26.4%

Being a homebrewer, I was interested in the ingredient list but a little sceptical of the high alpha hops used and the number of hops used. I was also interested in how all the malts would come together with the pacman yeast. It turns out that the flavor is dominated by the grapefruit flavor that is common from using too much and too many of high alpha hops. Unfortunately it ruins the potential of the flavor combination that would come out the Munich, Special B, Amber, etc. malts . This beer would be better with time as the hops settle down. The monks wouldn't be impressed as most belgians are very conservative with the amount of hops and the acidity in them. I surely wasnt impressed.

02-24-2007 02:46:10 | More by lifeboyq
lawrence76

2.73/5  rDev -26.4%

I was looking forward to trying this beer after reading about it on the Brew like a Monk blog. Thought it was odd though, to find that they fermented this with their normal house yeast.

Appearance was of a nice brown ale, off white head, average lacing on the glass

Smell was of caramel, and warm crystal malts

Medium-full body. Heavily caramelized taste, with a decent hop bitternes to balance. Alcohol was subtle. Dark malts and tons of crytal malt flavour dominates this. No typical "belgian"-ness noticable

Overall I thought the beer was a mediocre brown ale. Almost too full-bodied even for that style, let alone a pseudo belgian style. I had a hard time drinking the second half of the 22oz bottle, especially seeing as how the guy next to me at the party was drinking a de ranke, guldenberg!

Don't think I'll be trying this beer again any time soon

12-18-2006 15:33:30 | More by lawrence76
drinknewbelgium

2.78/5  rDev -25.1%

nice brown pour with a little head that remains for about half the beer smells of caramel malts spices and hops tastes of sweet malts caramel and spices then comes the tsunami of hops finishes very bitter and wipes out the pleasing complexity of the malts alittle light for a brown ale in my experience and personally this is the last one ill ever pick up

well what can i say rogue ruins another beer with excessive hops i love hoppy beer much more than malty beer but i think that just adding excessive hops always kills it if i was you i wouldnt waste my time with this one

11-18-2006 16:58:20 | More by drinknewbelgium
aforbes10

Iowa

2.8/5  rDev -24.5%

we seem to get a lot of Rogue out here in South Bend and im glad to see that we get some of the special releases like this one too. poured brown, clear dark earthy color. odor was a weird blend of grass and poop...a good smell mixed with a kind of gross smell. Taste was strange...bitter, actually, VERY bitter. the hops hit home too fast and obscure the tiny little brown ale flavor underneath. i think it would actually be a tasty brown if not for the hops. i dont really know how i feel about this one...not a great flavor really. a bit unbalanced too. its kind of like an overhopped homebrew of mine. i can drink it but i really want something more professional-tasting. im not sorry i tried it but i wont buy this again.

11-14-2006 19:28:30 | More by aforbes10
dgfair

2.83/5  rDev -23.7%

22 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A - Deep ruby, garnet color with a thin layer of off-white head that dissipates quickly to almost nothing. Some minor lacing on the glass, but not much.

S - A little bit of hop aroma, but mostly a doughy, biscuity yeast smell that is anything but pleasant...even smells a little bit like stinky feet.

T - Really nice hop flavor here, trademark Rogue. A very earthy hop flavor that's very tasty. A little bit of the biscuity flavor comes through, but is outshined by the hops. I feel like there are some other flavors here that would be nice, but they are completely outmanned by the hops...perhaps that was the intention and the hops are certainly nice.

M - Nice carbonation and overall pretty smooth. Could be a little fuller, but not bad.

D - Pretty drinkable, but just not impressive enough to warrant another try. I would classify this beer as "just okay." Nothing special, an average offering from Rogue and I would rather have many of their other offerings than this one.

01-07-2007 04:09:09 | More by dgfair
meatyard

2.9/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours a cloudy brown with a short, light tan head that leaves light lacing.
The smell is a nutty and sweet malt.
The taste is slightly sweet, lightly breadlike but dominently bitter. I don't find this particular bitter taste very pleasant either.
The mouthfeel is medium.
For me the drinkability will be limited to this one.
It looks like this style is not for me. The name led me, too, to think this might be a Belgian style of some sort.

03-17-2007 01:12:47 | More by meatyard
NiceGuyMike

2.93/5  rDev -21%

I've recently developed a taste for hoppy beers. This beer proves to me that it is not that I did not like hoppy beers in the past, I just didn't very bitter beers.

a: nice brown ale with decent light tan head.
s: smells of sweet floral hops. Very nice.
t: sugar sweet (touch of brown sugar) along with some malt sweetness. Light alchole flavors present as wel. Very bitter. Not so much hop flavor, just a lot of bitterness. Very minimal belgian fruitiness.
m: full body with light creaminess which, in my opinion, was cancelled out by the bitterness.
d: once finished, I was ready to move on to something new.

This beer didn't do it for me. It kind of reminded me of the Santa's Private Reserve, but not as flavorful. Too bitter.

10-17-2006 17:30:01 | More by NiceGuyMike
Vancer

2.93/5  rDev -21%

More of a brown ESB than any Belgium beer. Way to much hops and not near enough malt for balance. Without seeing this one, I would have gussed APA – muchas pine and citrus in there. Also slightly oily, crisp and sharp tasting. Ok as an APA, off the mark as any type of brown ale.

Pour was the high point, deep amber / oak with a massive frothy ivory head. Nice lacing. Average drinking.

11-16-2006 14:44:26 | More by Vancer
NoLiberty

2.93/5  rDev -21%

App: Pours from the standard Rogue charactered bottle into Brewer's Art chalice. Soft, bright brown and deep red color. Very clear. Low head that mellows to very little film on top and eventually leaves.

Aroma: Slightly sweet with most nose coming from the moderate hop fruitiness with a subtle malt backbone. Pretty unoticeable and not noteworthy.

Taste: Taste is pretty much hops from front to back with mild accompaniment of malt. Strangely styled, since this has much more hop bitterness than most IPAs. Wildly flat with spikes of estringency and bitterness and an occasional pulse of roast, chocolate or malt sweetness. Pretty light all around for a brown and not well balanced for a hoppy beer in general.

Mouth: Bright, crips, tart and dry. Light on the front with quick follow through to the dry finish.

Drink: I guess you could drink this again if you wanted to, but it's probably not worth it.

01-26-2007 03:23:48 | More by NoLiberty
Jredner

Color=Brown
Aroma=Malt, Coffee and LOTSA Hops.
Flavor=HOPS...something beneath that I think probably tastes good, though it isn’t even remotely Belgian, but I can’t be sure because of all the hops.
Overall=I am starting to loathe Rogue.

Seriously Rogue seems to operate just like many of the Macro brewers but from the extreme opposite end. They just hop every beer they make all to piss as opposed to making them flavorless. This one is actually not all that bad, but it’s so not even remotelt Belgian (as the name implies) it annoys me the way their constant rebranding of what I suspect is actually only the 4 beers they make, annoys me.

12-18-2006 17:19:38 | More by Jredner
belgbeerdrinker

Colorado

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

a: dark copper color, good lacing and head that dissipates slowly
s: overtones of belgian bread & yeast, definite hops
t: mostly hoppy flavor tempered with a little malty sweetness, but hops overpower anything else going on
m: light to medium body, some carbonation, not quite smooth
d: interesting beer, but nothing stood out. relatively easy to drink, but not one i'd buy again.

02-08-2007 19:26:31 | More by belgbeerdrinker
BlindPig

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

A- About a 2" tan head on a cloudy brown body with few amber hues.
S- Sweet malt body underneath a bunch of hops. Light spice in the hops along with grapefruit and light grass.
T- A very different blend of flavors. It's sweet yet spicy. Grapefruit, grass, light pine, and some kind of spicy hops. Does have a really big bitterness to it. You can taste the malts underneath and gives it a big malty body.
M- Full/medium body with medium carbonation and a dry and bitter finish.
D- It is very different and seems like they couldn't make their mind up on what they wanted to do.

08-06-2007 04:03:54 | More by BlindPig
vanrassel

Alberta (Canada)

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

I'm not sure what this beer is supposed to be, and I wonder if the good folks at Rogue — whose craftsmanship is usually beyond reproach — know either. I mean, what's with the Belgian reference, "monk madness" when this isn't a Belgian style of any sort? Maybe I've lost my sense of humour....

At any rate, this is a good-looking beer, pouring with a three-finger beige head over a dark copper-coloured body. Not much to the smell, however: a vague chocolate aroma with a yeasty funk.

I thought the flavour had a bit of rye to it (I know it's not an ingredient) and bitter, dry hops really came through. Sweet chocolate and malted milk provide some balance but don't even things out. The carbonation is prickly and a sticky finish coated my palate. Overall an interesting experience, but not one I necessarily enjoyed — despite repeated attempts.

05-28-2007 22:58:33 | More by vanrassel
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

Saw this at the local store and thought - a rogue belgian?? Why not. Probably should have skipped this one. Looks great! Beautiful in the glass, great carbonation and head. It went downhill from there. Overwhelming hops dominate every other aspect of this brew - aroma and taste are all hops.

Some people like the dominating hops. With no belgian malt characteristics and no hint of belgian yeasts this one does not work for me. Rename it something along the lines of what it is and I might look at it differently. As is there's nothing belgian IMO, madness yes, belgian no.

12-04-2006 13:45:47 | More by barleywinebrewer
GClarkage

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

03/08/07- Purchased at Ledgers Liquors in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, as usual, no freshness info prrovided my Rogue...or even abv for that matter. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Chestnut in color. 1/4 inch head, smooth, white and creamy looking. Leaves frothy rim for the entire beer. Small lace spots are plotted to and fro.

Smell- Mostly sweet carmamel malt with an aray of hops. I also sense some alcohol and also a weird chlorine like scent.

Taste- WTF is this? I didn't look before I tried it. Was assuming it would be some kind of Belgian style ale from the name "Monk Madness". After reading the style, it makes a bit more sense. There is some sweet caramel malt hidden beneath the hopped out main flavor. Is this Rogue's idea of an Imperial Brown? I also get some kind of weird dark cherry flavor. The most bitter brown ale I have had.

Mouthfeel- Pretty creamy, especially in the finish as the beer really warms to room temp. Medium carbonation and a hefty bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability- I'm not sure it's just me, but I don't really dig 70 ibu's of hops in my brown ales. It was interesting, but I'll pass on this one in the future. Hop heads may really enjoy it though. To each his own.

03-09-2007 05:19:07 | More by GClarkage
weeare138

3.15/5  rDev -15.1%

On tap at Firewaters in Atlantic City...
Since the bartender couldn't tell me anything about this and they were too busy to grab me a sample, I decided to order this one in hopes that it emulated some Belgian style with the name "Monk Madness".
Appears a dark brown color with effervescent CO2 bubbles rising to the top. The small, off-white head slowly fades out and leaves streaks of lacing around the glass.
Smell is earthy, flowery, and definitely hoppy. There was also the trademark pacman yeast with it's doughy, Northwest Ale character that let me know that this wouldn't emulating a Belgian Ale. There weren't really too many other characteristics to pull from this one.
Taste was of the same aromas with a subtle hop punch that reminds me of an Americanized ESB.
Mouthfeel was medium bodied, mildly spicy, and sweet, with the yeast and hop profile taking over in this brew.
After reading what John was shooting for on the Rogue website, I understand what he was going for. Basically, an American Ale with a large base of Belgian Malts and a truckload of hops. This one just didn't do much for me. Maybe it was the name that deceived me?

10-02-2006 22:38:11 | More by weeare138
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.18/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours a medium brown, fairly clear with little head. Smells dry, slightly of malt, and a little salty. Tastes very odd, almost like cheese and bacon. Meaty, salty, a little bitter, and with protein flavors. Mouthfeel is a little thin and quite dry. Kind of interesting, and not terrible, but a little odd and not something I'd drink all of the time.

01-08-2007 23:57:27 | More by Georgiabeer
ccrida

Oregon

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%

Don't let the name (or label if you're having a bottle) fool you, this is not belgian styled at all, dubbel or otherwise! BA has it right, it's a (big) american brown. Not a bad thing, but stylistic expectations can really skew an experience sometimes...
Served on draft in Rogue's XS goblet, the Monk Madness is dark brown with a slight haze, small off-white head and only a touch of lace on the rim of the glass.
The aroma is strong and rich, almost all malt, caramel sweetness and a touch of hops.
The taste is MUCH more hop dominant, but still very malty, with toffee and caramel, and piney and spice hops. Really very assertive, more like an imperial brown. Although it is very malty, the strong bittering hops overpower the sweetness, giving a crisp, dry finish.
It has a moderate mouthfeel, with a medium body that is slightly syrupy with a sharp tang of carbonation.
The drinkability is pretty good, there is no overt sign of the ABV, but the bitterness builds up as you work through it.

02-16-2007 18:13:29 | More by ccrida