Somer Orange Honey Wheat - Rogue Ales

11 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest 2-row, Wheat
Specialty: Oregon Wildflower Honey,
Sweet Orange Peel, Oats, Chamomile, Coriander
Hops: Crystal & Rogue Farms Willamette.
Yeast & Water: Rogue' s Top Fermenting Pacman Yeast from Hood River & Free Range Coastal Water.

13º PLATO
79 AA
3.5º Lovibond

(Beer added by: FightingEntropy on 11-13-2006)
1.5/5  rDev -57.3%

I'm usually very generous on here toward quality brew, but this is just insane. The bottle was new, so age was not a factor.
The smell was terrible. Almost remanent of low quality Blue Moon. It was disgusting.
The taste was nothing spectacular. Dry and unimaginative; a pleasing aftertaste, but one would expect so much more from this brewery. Needless to say, Rogue has gone down in my personal rankings since trying this beer.
Don't waste your money.

2.17/5  rDev -38.2%

A - Poured the bottle into a hefeweizen glass, orange and cloudy, but with only small head that quickly dies down. Color is perfect, head could be a little nicer.

S - Very little here, only slight hints of wheat malt, but very very little smell.

T - There's just nothing on the taste. It's like drinking thick water with little carbonation.

M/D - Mouthfeel is barely carbonated, it is just like drinking thick water, very little taste, blah.

There's absolutely nothing here, it's possible I'm just drinking the beer out of season, but I'm probably going to just drain pour this.

2.2/5  rDev -37.3%

I really like Rogue products. I keep Dead Guy and Mocha Porter close at hand, I treat my self to the overpriced XS series occasionally, and I just generally dig their philosopy and all. But this was a terrible beer. Not the worst beer I've ever had, but definatley the worst beer I've ever had with Rogue stamped on the front of it.

I poured the beer into a goblet, and it poured up very pretty indeed. It was a beaming golden color, slightly hazy, with a big old head of creamy white foam. It looked really good, so I thought things were off to a good start.
The aroma was pleasant, with a nice fresh floral aroma, slight malts and wheat with a touch of citrus.
The flavor is where this beer falls flat. There simply wasn't any. At least nothing discernable... There was a faint, and I mean faint sweetness somewhere in there, but to me, it was almost like drinking a slightly thickened, sweetend carbonated water.
I'm sorely disappointed with this beer. As I said, I'm a fan of Rogue, but with this beer, I'd like to have my money back.

2.25/5  rDev -35.9%

Pours a hazy honey color with a nice white head that rapidly fades.

Nose is simple fresh orange with hints of honey. Nose is delicate and elegant and has one thinking of summer gardening and perhaps a nice piece of simple whitefish or cold salmon for lunch!

Mouthfeel is medium, feels a little creamy but without character.

Flavors are weak white bread yeast and not much else. There may be a hint of honey but one has to really look for it.

Rogue continues to disappoint me. This tastes and feels like my expectation of a "light" beer, although I've not tasted one in many years. Rogue-great names; cool bottle graphics; beers - not so great.

2.5/5  rDev -28.8%

2.5/5  rDev -28.8%

2.6/5  rDev -25.9%

Beer was served in a tulip glass. I would have used a pint glass myself.

Little head. Little lace retention/ Light honey-amber in color.

Little to no nose.

Very light flavors - not an exciting beer. Good for summer quaffing. Orange and honey apparent with sweetness on back end from toasted malts. A little clove spice rounds out the palate.

Watery mouthfeel.

Good session beer for a hot day. I would not purchase a bottle, though.

2.68/5  rDev -23.6%

08/03/09- Purchased at Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, no freshness dating found. Poured into my 24oz mug.

Appearance- Darker orange colored pour, maybe a touch amber. Fizzy head which reaches a 1/2 inch but fades quickly. Light spots of lace left behind.

Smell- Really no real scent. Some light malt, maybe a hint of lemon-orange aroma. Pretty scentless.

Taste- Quite an average boring flavor. Some wheat notes, some dry malty notes, maybe even a touch of cardboard. Very light artificial orange flavor.

Mouthfeel- A bit over carbonated, some malty flavor in the aftertaste.

Drinkability- Come on Rogue...you can do better than this. Just plain boring.

2.8/5  rDev -20.2%

The appearance is pineapple yellow with a finger of pillowy pure white head. Clear but has some depth. Head lasts about 4-5 minutes.

The smell is some dry wheats, but also a quasi German bitterness. Touch of sweet honey and orange zest.

The taste is musty with a dry wheat flavor. Has some German pilsner attributes (citrus hops, bitter Euro malt). The aftertaste is of a bitter nature.

The feel is silky at first, watery finish. This is not the best of Rogue. Drink enough but lacking. Eh...

2.8/5  rDev -20.2%

Bomber with Pizza in Dekalb at Lord Stanleys Annex. I figure, $5 for a rogue bomber at a bar? yes please. lord Stanley is odd.
This one poured a light and clear yellow color, carbination is visual and signs of crispness. should be refreshing with our odd pizza with saurkraut/mushrooms on it.
Aroma is light but shows some citrusy hops that really give this beer a flavor profile that is clean and crisp andwhile the wheat aspects dont come through in a super prominant way makes this bomber one that is quite enjoyable to eat some food with.
Clean, refreshing, everything you'd expect me to say about a light flavorless beer in the mouthfeel, but this one has flavors worth pairing with food.

This is a good beer in the right conditions.
Get it for dinner, not for dessert.

2.88/5  rDev -17.9%

I saw this in the local store when I couldnt decide what I was gonna get. It sounded really interesting so I picked it up and went with it.

A: It pours a hazy yellow with a nice white head. The head disappears fairly quickly. It leaves minimal lacing.

N: It smells of lots of wheat, honey, orange and some sweet spices. The bit of spices reminds me of the gruit I had at Triumph.

T: At first it tasted cheap and watery, but it started to get a bit better. When it got better, it tasted like some spiced wheat and oranges and some lemons. As it warms, some bitterness comes through, though its only 10 IBUs. The finish is undesirable at worst and sweet wheat at best.

M: The mouthfeel was thin but a good deal of carbonation. It felt like a semiflat champagne.

D: Overall, I probably won't buy it again, though it wasn't horrible. It would probably have been better on a hot day after say, mowing the lawn. Hopefully Rogue has better stuff to offer.

2.93/5  rDev -16.5%

A: Pours a hazy yellowish orange color with a small white foam head with moderate retention. There is no real lacing down the sides.

S: Some mild hints of honey, wheat, yeast and spices (clove/corriander). Nothing is really overpowering and all the scents are faint.

T: Starts out with a gritty and grainy malt taste. Bread, yeast and wheat are the most predominant but it is very weak. In the middle the grittyness is balanced a tad with some honey. The same honey and grainy taste is there on the back end along with some mild spice and citrus.

M: A light to medium body that leaves a grainy taste on the palate.

O: Not as refreshing as I thought it would be. The wheat and grain tastes are more dominant then the citrus, spice and honey. A decent beer, but there are better options.

2.93/5  rDev -16.5%

Serving: Bomber into an ale glass.

A: Straw yellow with about half an inch of head. Seemed aggressively carbonated at first. The head dissipated quickly, didn't leave much lacing on the glass.

S: The faintest smell of wheat beer but not much else. Disappointing.

T: A smooth, but somewhat tasteless wheat beer. Has a flowery character in it but I cannot detect any of the honey the bottle claims it has. Not much going on in the taste department. Disappointing.

M: Overall pretty fizzy but nothing bad.

D: Comes off like a lager to me, really on the light side. Might be ok to drink on a really hot day if you're thirsty. Not my cup of tea though.

2.98/5  rDev -15.1%

A: Against natural light appeared a brassy-lemon, while against artificial lighting was more on an honey-orange. Good clarity with a strong visible carbonation presence topped off by a frothy, good sized head that was paper white in color leaving a modest pathwork for a lacing.

S: A soft nose offers little in the way of variety or complexity. Light orange candy sweetness is set against a dry wheat backing. Not much else follows.

T: Bitter orange peels are set against some honey on the initial sip with dry wheat and flaked oats being easily distinguishable as well. A moderate show of orange peel grinds and citrus peel appear midway masking the initial brief sweetness. On the finish was dried honey and flaked oats and straw along with a tart orangey flowery fade. Overall the bitterness conceals the honey sweetness, and more or less clashes with it as well. The whole drink lacks a certain smoothness, and fluid transition with a patchy bitterness that was rough and seemed more like a jumbled mess and patchwork affair, then rather a single smooth experience that I would expect from a summer drink. Thin in flavor and substance.

M: Good show of carbonation appears in the mouthful, one of the few highlights I think of this drink. Medium honey slickness that turns a bit watery on longer holds with a quickly dissipating carbonation factor.

D: Overall found this to be uninteresting, and rather bland, thin in enjoyment with a bomber lasting longer then it probably should per style. A reluctant finish with hesitation between sips confirms that I really did not find this all that smooth going down.

2.98/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a light golden colour, with a mountain of frothy white head which dissipates quite quickly. Lots of carbonation evident in the beer.

Smell is incredibly faint. I can catch whiffs of honey and orange. I can't detect the coriander, not much of the rest of the beer.

Taste is pretty dull as well, and greatly obscured by the heavy carbonation. I find it hard to taste much given the battering that my palate gets from the bubbles. Finish is a little bitter, which was unexpected. I do taste the honey, and the orange very slightly.

A pretty disappointing beer in my view. Not sure if my bottle is off somehow, but not the taste I expected and not something I would return to. Glad I only picked up a single bottle.

Somer Orange Honey Wheat from Rogue Ales