Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
4.51/5  rDev +16.8%

Dark, dark, dark brown almost black. Light doesn't penetrate the glass from the side, but I can get a little bit thought the edges. Nice fine tan colored head that hangs around for a few minutes with a decent amount of lacing.

Smells of malty dark chocolates. Tastes of intense bitter chocolate coffee. Very creamy, almost a coffee with cream flavor and feel. Silky, yet some effervescence keeps the tongue from falling asleep. Finishes with bitter chocolates in the back of the mouth. This is masterful and not at all what I expected.

Notes: My second sip, I came to the conclusion this would be great first thing in the morning instead of coffee.

this is a hearty brew for hearty foods. Not a great summer meal accompaniment. Something to be sip nice and slowly on a cold evening or better yet, a cold morning.

This one reminded me of my first Taddy Porter years ago. It was a great experience and one I thought I'd never relive. So for that I thank Rogue.

4.51/5  rDev +16.8%

From notes 10-3-08

Eye: Very dark brown in color, I'd say dark chocolate brown with some blood red/garnet highlights coming through when light makes it through this beer. Head has good formation and retention, a little over a finger's width. Color of the head is tan and texture is creamy. Lacing is pretty nice, leaving rings around the glass with some thin curtains between layers of rings.

Nose: Before the cap is even off, just after the seal is broken, I can smell sweet chocolate malty aromas. With the glass right up in my nose the chocolate aroma is prevalant. No coffee aromas here, no burnt aromas...really only that chocolate aroma....with a bit of time elapsed I am getting more dark malt aromas which give a deeper character to the chocolate aroma, mabe some dark fruits as well, just hints of plum or rasin, I can't tell which...hidden pretty damn good in the very back.

Tongue: My second impression of this one is lots of chocolate as the name implies; first impression is dark fruits, though I'm not sure which ones-definitely juicy though, right there on the front of the tongue. The chocolate flavor gives balance to the sweet fruitiness that hits right upfront. Some smokey flavor and definite bitterness of black malt. A slightly sour/tart impression upfront with the fruity tones give the beer an "authentic" English porter taste that melds and balances quite nicely with the big chocolate flavor that follows and is in turn followed by black malt bitterness. Maybe that fruitiness that accompanies the tartness is black cherry? At any rate I think that its the tartness that implies a dark fruit flavor. Not to say that its not there, but I think that the slight tartness is definitely implying a fruit flavor, causing my palate to perceive a dark fruit flavor that might not necessarily be in the beer, but is still tasted because it is implied by the tartness. Seems alot like modern logic if you ask me. At any rate this is a great porter.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Medium bodied in the mouth with small delicate and light carbonation that only compliments the beer. Finish is on the dry side which fits real nicely with the sharp bitterness of black malt. Kinda slick or oily on in the mouth....the beer itself is really smooth, velvety, like ribbons of slik toying round the tongue. This is a really nice porter, perfect for drinking on those cool autumn days. This is one I'll be adding to my "standards" list as far as porters go. Give it a whirl, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales