2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Mocha PorterMocha Porter

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,233 | Reviews: 1,302 | Show All Ratings:
TastyTaste

3.25/5  rDev -16%

Pours a stout black color, wwith only a little light getting through at the botttom of the glass. Huge 2" head that is very bubbly and appears to be sticky. Smell is not very potent, only slight coffee and hop notes. Taste is about the driest thing I have ever had. Just like a cup of regular joe. Hops combine with the bitterness of the coffee to make an odd aftertaste. Not my favorite Rogue product, but good nonetheless.

09-05-2004 00:46:25 | More by TastyTaste
TheTrevor

3.25/5  rDev -16%

I picked up this beer on a whim at the local Beerporium.

It poured pitch black with about a two finger head that quickly dissipated to about a quarter-finger head. The smell is very characteristic of a porter with undertones of burnt coffee. The taste didn't really floor me, and the somewhat pleasant and almost sweet taste of the beer gives away to an aftertaste that was a little too bitter for my liking at first that seemed to become less bitter as the beer warmed. Overall, I ended up enjoying it quite a bit more than I thought I would when I took the first sip. I can see what some people like about this beer, but to me as a fairly new beer drinker it didn't seem to have the depth that something like Gonzo Imperial Porter or Southern Tier Porter. I couldn't imagine myself drinking more than one of these at a time, as it seems to sit a little heavy in me. I'd say it's a fairly respectable porter that I was able to find at a fairly cheap price of about $1.75 a bottle. Decent beer aside, I can't imagine picking it up again unless I'm short on money and really want myself a porter.

10-14-2007 01:26:00 | More by TheTrevor
thisisbigrob

Kentucky

3.25/5  rDev -16%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Poured a dark black with a dense foamy brown-tinted head. The head receeded leaving significant lacing.

S: Tons of chocolate and a little coffee.

T: Tons of coffee and a little chocolate, not really tasting much in the way of hops. The taste if fairly disappointing compared to the smell.

M: While I can't taste the hops, I can definitely feel the bitterness on my tongue. While it's fairly smooth, it almost tastes a little thin.

D: Nothing special going on for me, I'd move on to something else after this one.

01-02-2008 00:51:58 | More by thisisbigrob
Proteus93

3.25/5  rDev -16%

Had this one at a Ruby Tuesdays which, surprisingly enough, I have not been to before.

A: Very dark brown pour. Sticky, light brown head... a little short lived.

S: Roasted malts, some chocolate notes, a bit of oily hops come through. Something of a citrus scent, and maybe a little bit tinny.

T: Burnt malts, a bit of dark roasted coffeebean and more of a hoppy kind of bitterness than coffeebean or dark chocolate bitterness. It seemed a little intense, and wasn't really the nicest flavour. Not sure if something happened here, and they changed from something to another with dirty lines, but it was kind of unpleasant.

M: The carbonation seems a bit aggressive. Medium body, and carbonation becomes a bit fizzy as it goes.

D: Not one I think I'd get again, or at least I'd be wary getting it here. A little tough to finish (though not far enough to be a drainpour, I suppose), but between the flavour & mouthfeel, I was pretty disappointed.

It did get a little better as it warmed a bit, but not a great deal, and maybe it was me just learning to tolerate it. Either way, based on that, I could up the taste and drinkability up to an average score.

04-10-2008 22:34:20 | More by Proteus93
matty

3.25/5  rDev -16%

Dark brown colored porter with a strong coffee aroma.Taste is coffee,chocolate and roasted malt.This was not as good as I was expecting it to be,especially for how they charge you for it.Overall not bad,I will drink it again as long as I don't have to pay for it!!

07-06-2008 04:37:32 | More by matty
dgilks

Australia

3.25/5  rDev -16%

Pours a deep brown-black with a luscious coffee coloured head. Head retention isn't great but lacing is okay.

Fruity aromas team up with hints of chocolate and coffee. Not great as it is a bit weak.

Tastes are light with good emphasis on the coffee and bits of chocolate. An okay malt backbone but overall it seems to be a little lacking.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin but carbonation is good overall and it works reasonable well with this beer.

Overall a reasonably tasty brew with reasonable flavour but it lacks depth and intensity.

08-04-2009 07:37:58 | More by dgilks
glid02

Georgia

3.25/5  rDev -16%

Cask at Deckard's American Tavern in Atlanta.

Pours a hazy dark brown color with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of moderately roasted malts with good amounts of lightly tart dark fruits. Also present are slight amounts of dark chocolate aromas however no coffee is discernable.

Tastes worse than it smells. Chalky roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined almost immediately by large amounts of dark fruit flavors that have turned, lightly tart raisins and pears. Midway through the sip hints of dark chocolate flavors attempt to salvage everything but fade out without being able to, finishing with a moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with decent carbonation.

Drinkability is not good. I had a tough time finishing my glass and would not go after another.

Overall this was a big disappointment, especially considering how many of Rogue's beers have been close to home runs. I'd certainly try this again if I could get a taster to see if the problems were a one-time deal but I would hesitate immensely before spending money on another glass.

Serving type: cask

11-20-2010 19:55:06 | More by glid02
Sneers

3.25/5  rDev -16%

Pours a dark, dark brown with milk chocolate highlights that, although opaque in my snifter, looked somewhat hazy on the pour. A nice sandy head sits on top, and is pretty well-retained; there's some lacing too.

The aroma falls victim to one of my biggest qualms with American porters: the mixture of robust American hops and the coffee and chocolate flavors of the malts (and, in the case, from the "natural chocolate flavor").

The hops are the first thing to hit the palate, and are quickly accompanied by the dark malts. The addition of the chocolate was kept subtle enough to let the rest of the beer come through, which I appreciate; it adds a dry, powdery cocoa taste. On the other hand, it's not remarkably pronounced, and I probably wouldn't throw around the term "mocha" in describing it. The finish is dry and hangs on to that black coffee taste.

I was a little surprised how thin the mouthfeel is on this.

Overall, I'm fairly disappointed with this one. I don't buy Rogue beer often, but I had once heard Rogue brewmaster John describe this as "his baby," so I figured it would be a good offering to pick up to perhaps pique my interest. Sadly, it didn't quite do the job.

02-04-2011 05:13:41 | More by Sneers
bayougutter

Louisiana

3.25/5  rDev -16%

A: pours darkest brown almost black with a one finger light brown head that quickly went away. decent lacing.

S: roasted malt, coffee, hops, and a little smoke.

T: Taste like it smells only muted a bit. Hop bitterness at the end. I expected bolder taste.

M: Medium to thin body with a little too much carbination for me.

O: Overall just an OK porter, maybe I expected more from Rouge. At $11 per six, I can think of many brews better for the cash.

03-25-2011 17:58:11 | More by bayougutter
vandemonian

Maryland

3.25/5  rDev -16%

I didn't much like Rogue Mocha Porter. It had a sour and burnt flavour without much coffee flavour.

A: Black colour and a 5mm tan head that fades to good lacing. 4

04-29-2011 02:26:18 | More by vandemonian
jazzyjeff13

United Kingdom (England)

3.25/5  rDev -16%

A 12oz bottle with no visible BB date. Picked up a while back from Great Grog in Edinburgh.

Poured into a Delirium chalice. A dark ruby-brown hue. Yields a large head of creamy tan foam that hangs around for a few minutes before reducing to a thin surface layer. Aroma of dark roasted malt with notes of chocolate, mild coffee, burnt grain, hints of dried fruit and earthy yeast. A whiff of sweetness. Surprisingly subtle - I was expecting a more in-your-face olfactory experience.

Tastes of dark malt with a burnt, roasted character and a dry finish. The flavour seems muted. Mild notes of coffee, chocolate, burnt grain, a hint of molasses, faint dried fruit and earthy yeast. Slightly sweet, with a twinge of acidity in the background. A restrained, dry bitterness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth, dry, tingly and a little oily. Body seems rather thin and insubstantial for the style. Somewhat astringent, with an aftertaste of bitter roasted grain and hints of chocolate.

Hmmm - I'm left unimpressed by this one. It certainly has hints of mocha and chocolate, but both aroma and flavour seem deadened and lacklustre. I was hoping for more intensity - perhaps this bottle is simply too old (hard to tell with the lack of dating). The body also leaves something to be desired; it's too watery. An OK beer that goes down easily enough, but nothing special. No need to seek it out.

11-18-2012 23:47:21 | More by jazzyjeff13
tjinohio

3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured in a pint glass

Appearance: Nice dark chocolate brown. Thin head.

Smell: This area was a real disappointment. There was no discernible aroma from this porter. Now, I admittedly have a weak sense of smell, so I let my wife take a whiff. Her nose is hyper-sensitive. Again nothing.

Taste: Nice coffee and chocolate flavors, some hops, but the finish is weak.

Mouthfeel: Perhaps a little over-carbonated with some nice chewiness.

Drinkability: Though the abv is slightly high (just over 5%), I would consider this a good session beer. It is easy on the palate and fairly well balanced.

Overall: I feel as though I needed a lot more time to let this beer warm up. It was entirely too cold and I feel as though much of the flavor may have been masked.

03-20-2010 22:51:14 | More by tjinohio
dowen17

Alabama

3.21/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very dark brown with a slight reddish tint when held to the light. Very large tan head with heavy lacing all the way down the glass.

The smell is slightly sweet with a coffee hint but also has a very off, pungent smell.

Taste is sweet with a strong espresso/coffee taste at the end. The hops are definitely there.

Slightly carbonated. Heavy feel. Dry on the way down and the beer seems to linger in your mouth. Very sticky.

Overall it's a good beer. I would drink again but don't know if I would buy.

07-27-2013 01:01:23 | More by dowen17
maestrotmbg

District of Columbia

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Out of the bottle it ran, dark. The color of espresso with a head somewhat lighter in color and somewhat less uniform but thicker and much longer lasting. Alcohol barely noticable,the beer smelled unexpectedly and faintly of berries. Bitterness was the prevailing flavor that lasted to the bitter, dry end. This beer drank unexpectedly. It flouted its darkness yet went down like a much lighter beer. Thus, it drank easily as well, its bitterness overcome by its unusual lightness of body.

04-02-2003 10:54:21 | More by maestrotmbg
akajimmyd

District of Columbia

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Appearance – 22oz bomber. Dark red/brown body, low head and some horizontal lacing.

Smell – Solid hop smell and some toasty malts.

Taste – Strong roasted malt flavor, fails to live up to its name on the mocha front, only the faintest bitter coffee finish.

Mouthfeel – Unfortunately a bit watery and thin, also, the hops did not quite live up to expectations either. I like a fuller, creamier body for the style.

Drinkability – Drinkable but I do not want another, there are better porters and even one's with stronger coffee malt flavors.

03-15-2006 01:36:26 | More by akajimmyd
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Appearance: Pours a dark (dark) brown body with a wispy, thinning beige head.

Smell: Fairly delicate, Kahlua-ish aroma of bittersweet chocolate and breakfast blend coffee.

Taste: Mildy bitter coffee flavor dominates, with lesser notes of unsweetened chocolate. Roasty, ashen dryness on the finish that bears a bit of grassiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Mild carbonation.

Drinkability: Its nice enough, but a bit too thin for me, both in depth of flavor and body.

07-07-2007 22:24:18 | More by ChainGangGuy
Drufus

Connecticut

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured jet black with a coffee colored inch high head.

Smelled faintly of chocolate, not near as much rogues chocolate bomb stout.

Taste was decent, coffee and chocolate notes. I could taste a tartness that seemed a little overpowering. I have had a few meals with the beer and for some reason when drank with food, this beer tastes a heck of a lot better. The tartness goes away, and i can even taste more chocolate.

Mouthfeel is a little bubbly. A little too bubbly for this style.

the tartness makes this a little tough to down more than one.

I recommend eating with the beer.

03-09-2008 22:53:21 | More by Drufus
DoctorDog

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Presentation: 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. No indication of bottling/freshness date.

A- Very dark brown, nearly opaque. Pours with <1 finger of tan head, which fades slightly, leaving a thin layer throughout the duration of consumption. Heavy lacing.

S- Moderate hoppy/earthy aroma. Sadly, I'm almost completely missing the coffee/chocolate undertones that I was anticipating.

T- Slight citrusy tinge on the front. Strong burnt/bitter hops and coffee overwhelms the flavor. Chocolate flavors only become apparent towards final 1/3 of my consumption. Balance/enjoyment clearly improves as it warms.

M- Medium/light carbonation. Fairly smooth.

D- Decent. Not too heavy. Again, overall drinkability improves dramatically as it warms.

Future outlook: Iffy. I probably won't seek it out again anytime soon, but I wouldn't reject it if it were offered to me, nor would I kick it out of my fridge were it to magically materialize there...

10-23-2008 03:06:30 | More by DoctorDog
katan

Colorado

12 oz bottle

A - Extremely dark in color - thick looking. Chocolate colored head appears quickly and is well retained. Carbonation is hot strong in the appearance and little haze can be detected.

S - Muted nose from this beer. At best there is a chocolate undertone hiding in there somewhere.

T - Also very light in its flavor. Starts with a very light roasted malt flavor which is immediately balanced by some bitter mid-stream notes. The trademark pacman yeast is noticeable to me. Bitter aftertaste.

M - Not as thick and creamy as the appearance would say - almost lacking in body I would say. Watery. No carbonation bite.

D - Easy to drink - not filling. Flavors are not so potent that it would be a single in a session. Probably not a an extended session beer however due to its sweeter flavors.

A solid porter - but nothing spectacular.

11-28-2008 01:18:55 | More by katan
diamondc

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

A: Fairly opaque, not much head, just a thin wisp of bubbles and foam.

S: Coffee and hints of vanilla and nutmeg. Graham crackers, too.

T: Coffee and dark chocolate overshadow everything. A bit of a dry, spicy bitterness at the end.

M/D: Kind of disappointing, too much acidity from the roastedness. I've had better coffee porters/stouts.

12-10-2010 08:50:42 | More by diamondc
GallowsThief

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into my tulip.

A – Dark brown with ruby edges. One finger of light tan head that quickly recedes. Spotty lacing.

S – Vanilla, Mocha and light sweet chocolate.

T – First taste is almost a burnt roast with some bitter flavor from what tastes like dark chocolate. Trace hints of vanilla and mocha but does not make it sweet at all. Has a bit of smokiness.

M- Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Slick on the palate.

O – Eh it was ok for me but nothing special. Tad thin and not much mocha.

09-06-2011 23:45:58 | More by GallowsThief
OatherS

Kansas

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Black label with a blue clothed figure drinking a beer tipping his hat.

Appearance: Half a finger head, that dissipates medium quickly. Pitch black in color. Smooth-liquidy appearance.

Smell: Mocha, coffee and chocolate aromas present.

Mouthfeel: Has the coffee/porter bite to it initially.

Taste/Drinkability: The chocolaty flavors I was expecting are not that present. More of a bitter flavor, which I guess is to be expected from the coffee portion of the moca equation.

05-06-2005 02:09:20 | More by OatherS
brdc

Wisconsin

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

I am not sure if this one was not a bit too old on the shelf...
It is about time Rogue puts expiration dates, or at least bottling dates on its beers with ABV 7 or lower.
Anyway, it is a very dark, black beer with just a reddish hue when held against light.
Highly carbonated, with a bubbly brown head that dissipates leaving a nice lacing.
Smell is really faint, of roasted malts and coffee. As a matter of fact, alcohol is the most pronounced smell.
Taste is good, but again not very pronounced, with bitter chocolate and a hint of coffee that disappears in the mouth way too quickly, leaving only a little bit more hops than I like in a porter.
Medium body, not light enough for a session, but good enough for two in a row.
I would really love to know its bottling date, to take the doubt out of my mind - is this really just an OK beer or was it too old?

12-08-2006 01:04:11 | More by brdc
ndekke39

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Served from a 12 oz bottle with no discernible freshness date. The bottle was a bit cold since it had been in my fridge for two days, but I allowed it to slowly warm to room temperature while I drank it. Poured a coal black with a thin, off-white head. Very little retention. Smells of light chocolate, burnt sugar/caramel, sweet toasted barley. Tastes much of the same; ends with a dark chocolate bitterness. Few traces of any hops. Mouthfeel is decent, but a little watery for porter. Overall, another good offering from Rogue, although not my favorite of theirs or my favorite porter.

01-06-2007 01:06:29 | More by ndekke39
Ralphus

Ontario (Canada)

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

I'm always interested on what Rogue has to offer.. so when I spotted a Rogue's Mocha Porter at a Whole Foods Market in Orlando I picked it up.

This one poured well. A dark amber black with a coffee colored head. The head recedes to a small ring of foam..no lacing to be found on the way down.

The smell is nice .. caramel sweetness, chocolate and coffee. My first few gulps had lots of chocolate but after that the taste is dominated by bitter coffee. There is some complexity but it's hard to find in all that bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the poor side.. heavily carbonated and rather uninteresting. I could see this being more drinkable in the winter but right now (prime summer).. it's just not in the cards.

06-25-2009 21:52:44 | More by Ralphus