Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Mocha PorterMocha Porter

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros

Dark brown pour with tan head that didnt stay long. Medium body, mouthfeel was very pleasant. Aroma was very pleasant with chocolate and coffee notes. Taste was also of chocolate and coffee with a slight fruit finish. Drinkability was very good on this one as well. I liked it a lot.

3.99/5  rDev +3.4%

I poured this from the bottle into a mug.

It looked great going in and had a good head, but it disappeared very quickly.

It smelled the part.

Upon first sip, I was a little disappointed. I picked up on a lot of carbonation and hardly any hint of mocha. I found it moderately bitter for a porter and not sweet at all, which is what I expected. However, I enjoyed it more as I drank it.

Could be a little creamier....I like a thick creamy beer.

Overall, it was a very good beer, and easy to finish, but if you really like porters but are looking for something a bit different, look elsewhere. This is just another good porter.

3.99/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a dark brown with a light brown coffee colored head. The smell was full of coffee and mocha with some sweetness, almost a toffee scent coming through. The taste was very rich with coffee and dark chocolate before finishing with a surprising amount of hops to make a lighter finish to the beer.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Executive Summary: I consider Rogue to have a solid lineup. I don't have any selections in my mind that are superstars, but each one delivers. Mocha Porter is no exception. It's a great porter and they've included the chocolate/coffee element quite nicely.

Appearance: Deep, deep mahogany with ruby accents when held up to the light. Coffee ice cream colored head, finger thick, reduces to a film. Minor lacing.

Smell: Roasted malts, slight hop aroma. Very typical porter aroma - no hint of the titular (giggle) element.

Taste: Aha - there's the mocha! Wow. What a combination. Deep roasted malts up front followed by a distinct (but not overpowering) hop flavor, and finishes out with the mocha accents. It's a nice mix of coffee and chocolate, all against the background of a fine porter profile.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. Light carbonation. Not thick at all, which is exactly the way I expect my porters to be - to me, a good porter should have the flavor boldness of a stout but isn't such an investment in the mouth and in the stomach. Very well done here.

Drinkability: Outstanding in this category. A smooth, pleasant flavor that isn't too overpowering to keep you from having a few. This is a great cool weather brew, and I'd easily kick back with several of these.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: Deep, dark black-brown body. Light brown, whipped-creamy head with lots of staying power and lace all over the place. Small cloud islands in a sea of darkness... doesn't get any more inviting.
Smell: This is a substantial porter... earthy, bitter-sweet chocolate, espresso, dried fruits, slightly smoked. A joy to the nose.
Taste: Porter is a tough style to define... this just might be it. Chocolate notes from both chocolate and chocolate malt. Dry hop bitter finish... very nice, but a tad bitter or me.
Mouthfeel: Not as substantial as a stout, more so than a brown... how about: porter. Creamy, low-medium carbonation level on the tongue.
Drinkability: Fine example of of the style... yet another winner from Rogue.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I never thought I'd come across a 6 pack around here MORE expensive than Lagunitas, but that time has come regarding the new availability of Rogue's Mocha Porter. Still, for the most part with this brewery you get what you pay for, and it is far cheaper than the price of gas it would take for a quick jaunt over the border, all things considered.

Pours out an intense deep opaque black, light impermeable, with a large chunky tan head that eventually settles to still a pretty thick firm cap. A sticky coral reef web of lacing left behind. A more complex aroma than I anticipated, I expected to be overwhelmed by coffee given my last experience with this stuff. Roasted malt, toasted notes, some smokiness, and of course coffee beans, but they're kept in balance with everything else.

Big coffee on the first sip however, along with smoke, wood and earth. An inherent dryness throughout, but very apparent on the finish and lingering long into the aftertaste. Earthy dry roasted coffee pretty much sums up my overall impression of the tastes I'm experiencing. Granted I'm not a coffee drinker, or a huge fan of the stuff, but I can certainly appreciate what they've managed to accomplish with this porter, it's not half-assed by any means. The mouthfeel is silky smooth, but a bit on the lighter side than what one would expect from something with such a massive flavour profile, and simply for a porter. On the plus side it makes all even more deceptively drinkable for such a robust dry tasting ale.

Very enjoyable, and I shall play the good Samaritan and save some of these bottles to share with others who I know will enjoy the coffee-packed experience of this porter.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

My instinct tells me that this one was sitting on the shelf for a long time where I bought it but it smells fine, just not sure how it reflects the fresh batch (bottle dates would help). Pours a very dark brown, almost black color with a two and a half finger head that looks pretty creamy on top but very bubbly around the sides. The head is a nice tan color and has better retention than most other beer. It leaves medium lacing around random spots of the glass. Smell has a lot of roasted coffee and malts in it but overall is kind of weak. Some chocolate is found also. Taste is big on the same things as smell. Lots of roasted malts, coffee and chocolate, although not as much as an RIS. It is a nice lighter version of these flavors and much easier to drink. This beer definitely has the same cocoa flavor of the chocolate stout but not as big. All of the Rogue beers have a similar key flavor to them but I can't describe it, I just feel it once it hits the tongue. The beer tastes a bit watery at times but not overly. The mouthfeel is good on this beer as well. There is definitely some creaminess to it along with a good amount of carbonation. A nice roasty flavor is left on the tongue well after I take my sip. The body is medium but on the watery side of that, it's just hard for me to like coffee/chocolate beers with any watery feel to them. No warming at all hear to speak of. Drinkability is good, the beer tastes good, the price was not bad at all, there really are no off flavors or alcohol so this one could definitely be sessioned reasonably.

12oz bottle

Nice brown porter color with a nice bit of tan head. Orange tints on the side of the glass when held up to the light. Great looking beer.
I pulled Centennial hops when wafting it. When I stuck my nose into the glass it had a fairly rich barley smell. Pretty good smelling beer.
The taste was intriquing. I tasted the hop kick on the back of my throat before I was able to distinguish the roasted malts on the tip of my tongue. It was interesting, and I was pulling coffee in the aftertaste. Overall, it was a pleasurable experience. My only complaint is that it felt really thin for a porter. However, it did coat my tongue fairly nicely.
I really enjoyed this beer, even though I am not a huge porter fan. I will be drinking it again.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

6 pack, from Brown Derby in Springfield, Brandee's choice, plus it is $21 for 6 in Calgary.
Poured dark, basically black, with chocolate milk brown foam. Very good head retention, and thick sheets of lace. Smell is malty, with some semi-sweet chocolate. Taste is slightly sweet with coffee and cocoa, has a nice hopped finish that keeps things balanced. Mouthfeel could be a bit fuller, but is not a fault. A top flight flavored porter.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance-Dark brown, caramel colored head. Excellent lacing

Smell-Awesome! Sweet fruit with a hint of coffee. Amazing!

Taste-Slight disappointment after the smell. Nothing ground breaking here. Average American Porter style. Smooth coffee flavor, was hoping for more of a fruit taste.

Mouthfeel-Nice heavy feeling on the tongue. You know this is a beer when you're drinking it.

Drinkability-Above average. I was surprised this had as low an ABV as it does, it feels like it would have more. All in all a nice beer.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.
A- A dark dark brown, almost ink black, with a 3/4" tan creamy looking head with a slight bit of lacing on the glass.
S-The smell definitely reflects the mocha. It smells like chocolate, coffee, and almost burnt malt.
T- The taste is similar with an almost burnt taste. Quite tasty with a chocolate/coffee taste immediately and then a late roasted malt taste with an aftertaste that is remeniscent of toast. Quite good. A good hop taste for a porter, particularly one that places such emphasis on chocolatiness.
M-Low carbonation. A lot lighter weight than I expected. Not quite watery, but thinner than I expected for a porter.
O-I really enjoyed the taste of this and it is light enough to drink a few but the coffee/chocolate taste of this one makes it a beer that I would limit to a couple per sitting.
Quite sessionable in comparison to other porter's.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: 12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel glass. Thin 1 cm tan head on top of a dark brown beer. The head gradually thins leaving nice lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell: Toasty malt nose with a bit of coffee and a sandy scent. Very malty with a gritty brown sugar scent.

Taste: Big coffee flavor up front with a sweet caramel top to it. Very roasty and toasty with a gritty coffee ground feel. This beer lives up to its name very well. It is sweet with toasty dark malts like a good porter. The coffee flavor enhances the malt instead of covering it or hiding a lousy beer. Well balanced sweetness with toasty malt and coffee round out a this lovely brew.

Mouthfeel: Gritty and raw and rich. The texture matches the brown sugar and coffee flavors very well.

Drinkability: Very tasty and well rounded. Lovely coffee flavor in a tasty sweet porter. Enjoyable if you like coffee...and I like coffee.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

This is my first American craft beer if I don't count Samuel Adams and I'm very interested to taste an American interpretation of an English classic.

APPEARANCE: Typical porter brownish black. Head looks like that of an expresso, kind of yellowish.

SMELL: Soft porter smell, not strong. I can sense a sweetness. Sucking the last drip from the rim of the bottle I get a taste of mocha coffee and even rose water.

TASTE: A typical smokey, tart porter flavour with a pleasant softness that creates an interesting balance. The coffee is subtle, adding a levelling mellowness to the brew. Ever so slightly hoppy too. There's a subtle sherbet flavour which provides a tingling sensation on the gums.

OVERALL: Both disappointed and impressed. I thought the coffee would be way more upfront but it only imparted a soft mellowing sweetness to the balance, which actually made for a nice tasting porter anyway. One of the best I've had, albeit I've never had a bad one.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured an opaque black with a light brown creamy head. Aroma consisted of rich semi-sweet chocolate, a touch of hops and a bit of caramel. Full bodied flavor. Mouthfeel was sharp from the carbonation. Bittersweet chocolate flavor up front with a burnt malt and coffee middle. Finish is a somewhat dry with a bitter hop blast that follows up with a return to the chocolate flavor. An extremely delicious treat and another fine Rogue product.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales