Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros

Dark brown pour with tan head that didnt stay long. Medium body, mouthfeel was very pleasant. Aroma was very pleasant with chocolate and coffee notes. Taste was also of chocolate and coffee with a slight fruit finish. Drinkability was very good on this one as well. I liked it a lot.

3.99/5  rDev +3.4%

I poured this from the bottle into a mug.

It looked great going in and had a good head, but it disappeared very quickly.

It smelled the part.

Upon first sip, I was a little disappointed. I picked up on a lot of carbonation and hardly any hint of mocha. I found it moderately bitter for a porter and not sweet at all, which is what I expected. However, I enjoyed it more as I drank it.

Could be a little creamier....I like a thick creamy beer.

Overall, it was a very good beer, and easy to finish, but if you really like porters but are looking for something a bit different, look elsewhere. This is just another good porter.

3.99/5  rDev +3.4%

Nice and black with just the tiniest bit of light showing through. It has a tan head that starts off tall, but quickly fades to a thin layer that stays with you.

The aroma is sweet. Almost reminds me of brown sugar.

My expectations for taste (judging by the aroma) were blown away. It starts off slightly bitter then follows that up with many complex flavors. Roastedness followed by coffee flavors delight the palate.

Wonderfully carbonated and chewy.

This is a highly drinkable porter. If you like coffee style porters, give this one a try. Although its coffee taste is more subtle than others, it’s definitely worth a try.

3.99/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a dark brown with a light brown coffee colored head. The smell was full of coffee and mocha with some sweetness, almost a toffee scent coming through. The taste was very rich with coffee and dark chocolate before finishing with a surprising amount of hops to make a lighter finish to the beer.

3.99/5  rDev +3.4%

Pint on tap at the wonderful Bronx Ale House.

Appearance: Dark brown, with a light tan one-finger head. I like the color contrast, but I don't like how quickly the head vanishes with no lacing.

Smell: Delicious. Roasted espresso beans dominate with notes of bitter chocolate. I like where this is going.

Taste: Extremely reminiscent of those dark chocolate-covered roasted espresso beans I popped to stay awake for big papers in school (hey, it beats Ritalin). It's pretty bitter on the way down, which I like.

Mouthfeel: Body's on the light side for a Porter, with low carbonation. Not doing a lot for me.

Drinkability/Overall: A very solid Porter. I'd have one in place of a post-dinner coffee. The mediocre mouthfeel stops it from being the best Mocha beer I've had recently (Southern Tier), but it gets the job done.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a dark brown almost black colour into the glass. The head is cream colour but not big. It has a nice smell of chocolate. The taste is all about chocolate and licorice with a nice bitter aftertaste. This is a nice beer that i found in a small pub for students. How it got there I don't know, but i'm glad i found it.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The first few sips were amazing - lots of dark chocolate and roasted coffee. But as the beer started to warm up, these flavors became less prominent. Maybe it's because my palate became overwhelmed or the flavor just changes as it warms up. Anyways, still very tasty.

12oz bottle

Nice brown porter color with a nice bit of tan head. Orange tints on the side of the glass when held up to the light. Great looking beer.
I pulled Centennial hops when wafting it. When I stuck my nose into the glass it had a fairly rich barley smell. Pretty good smelling beer.
The taste was intriquing. I tasted the hop kick on the back of my throat before I was able to distinguish the roasted malts on the tip of my tongue. It was interesting, and I was pulling coffee in the aftertaste. Overall, it was a pleasurable experience. My only complaint is that it felt really thin for a porter. However, it did coat my tongue fairly nicely.
I really enjoyed this beer, even though I am not a huge porter fan. I will be drinking it again.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

6 pack, from Brown Derby in Springfield, Brandee's choice, plus it is $21 for 6 in Calgary.
Poured dark, basically black, with chocolate milk brown foam. Very good head retention, and thick sheets of lace. Smell is malty, with some semi-sweet chocolate. Taste is slightly sweet with coffee and cocoa, has a nice hopped finish that keeps things balanced. Mouthfeel could be a bit fuller, but is not a fault. A top flight flavored porter.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

650ml Bottle bought in Sainsburys.

Pours quite a deep brown / nearly black colour. Head is quite thin and light brown in colour – doesn’t last very long…

Nice aroma of coffee and chocolate and also quite a lot of maltiness. Has just the right amount of tartness…

Smooth mouthfeel, nothing to heavy or cloying..

Quite a nice porter – very drinkable. There are much better examples out there though…

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.
A- A dark dark brown, almost ink black, with a 3/4" tan creamy looking head with a slight bit of lacing on the glass.
S-The smell definitely reflects the mocha. It smells like chocolate, coffee, and almost burnt malt.
T- The taste is similar with an almost burnt taste. Quite tasty with a chocolate/coffee taste immediately and then a late roasted malt taste with an aftertaste that is remeniscent of toast. Quite good. A good hop taste for a porter, particularly one that places such emphasis on chocolatiness.
M-Low carbonation. A lot lighter weight than I expected. Not quite watery, but thinner than I expected for a porter.
O-I really enjoyed the taste of this and it is light enough to drink a few but the coffee/chocolate taste of this one makes it a beer that I would limit to a couple per sitting.
Quite sessionable in comparison to other porter's.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

I"ve had several Rogues lately and have put this one off for a while. Mocha just doesn't sound right to me. Oh, well.
Pours a rich black with dark brown head, frothy. Nice presentation. Head lingered for a while, stayed a bit. Then faded to film. Nice look though.
Smell is a bit thin. Some coffee and rich chocolate. Anise and dried malt penetrate but not powerful. Black currant and fruits.
Taste is something like a chocolate stout, but without the intensity and hard bite. Sweetness in this brew is limited, mocha not really present. As an American Porter this is great, yet the label is misleading for me, anyway. A slight bite in the end livens it up. A solid porter.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Dark brown almost black with slight ruby hues when held up to the light. Thick and foamy tan head with a good amount of lacing and carbonation.

S - Malty with a slight smokey aroma. Subtle hints of strong espresso.

T - Slight degree of sweetness up front followed by a smokey and slightly bitter after taste. Hints of dark chocolate and alcohol throughout.

MF&D - Great porter character. Thick, flavorful and chewy. I'll have another!

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured an opaque black with a light brown creamy head. Aroma consisted of rich semi-sweet chocolate, a touch of hops and a bit of caramel. Full bodied flavor. Mouthfeel was sharp from the carbonation. Bittersweet chocolate flavor up front with a burnt malt and coffee middle. Finish is a somewhat dry with a bitter hop blast that follows up with a return to the chocolate flavor. An extremely delicious treat and another fine Rogue product.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

A-Pours a dark brown with a one finger mocha head that leaves decent lacing. Looks nice.

S-Coffee, chocolate, malt, caramel. Nose isn't very strong.

T-A nice balance of coffee, chocolate and malt.

M-Nice medium body, not overly carbonated. Coats the palate nicely.

D-Very drinkable. Makes a good session beer.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

The look of this beer is pretty good. Dark, dark, deep brown... almost black, but not quite. Nice head retention. Creamy/off-white with lacing to boot.

Smell is floral and of hops at first. Then chocolate and coffee. Roasted malt.

Palate is good... a touch rough on the carbonation front, but not horrible.

Overall a nice choice.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: This beer is black. Period. No questions asked. It had a big, dark brown head that dissipated quickly and left a lot of pretty lace.

Smell: No surprises here. This beer smelled like it looked. Definitely bitter chocolate and coffee aromas. You can tell this bad boy is going to be bitter. Oh, yeah . . .

Mouthfeel: A little thin for me on the mouthfeel, and thinner than many other porters that I have had.

Taste: Once again, no surprises here. This was a powerful, bitter porter. It's hard for me to pick out individual flavors in beers with this much *umph*, so I won't even try. But trust me, it was good!

I've had it before and I will definitely have it again.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Dark brown, opaque, nearly black with glints of light in the bottom of the abyss. Scant collar of brown head cap leaving decent lattice lace.

Light cake batter scents.

First swigs: Porter scents of cocoa with some citrous lemon in the background. Toasted rye, banana and almond hints with smoked peat moss that reminds me of pumpernickel crusts. Lingering aftertaste of cocoa with a dry finish.

Full bodied and crisply carbonated. Flavorful, overall but a bit one dimensional.

Last swigs: Perfect blend of cocoa and roasted malt dark bread flavor. Excellent English porter interpretaion. Reminds me a bit of Guiness.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales