Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,341 | Hads: 2,755
3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

I picked up this beer on a whim at the local Beerporium.

It poured pitch black with about a two finger head that quickly dissipated to about a quarter-finger head. The smell is very characteristic of a porter with undertones of burnt coffee. The taste didn't really floor me, and the somewhat pleasant and almost sweet taste of the beer gives away to an aftertaste that was a little too bitter for my liking at first that seemed to become less bitter as the beer warmed. Overall, I ended up enjoying it quite a bit more than I thought I would when I took the first sip. I can see what some people like about this beer, but to me as a fairly new beer drinker it didn't seem to have the depth that something like Gonzo Imperial Porter or Southern Tier Porter. I couldn't imagine myself drinking more than one of these at a time, as it seems to sit a little heavy in me. I'd say it's a fairly respectable porter that I was able to find at a fairly cheap price of about $1.75 a bottle. Decent beer aside, I can't imagine picking it up again unless I'm short on money and really want myself a porter.

3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a deep brown-black with a luscious coffee coloured head. Head retention isn't great but lacing is okay.

Fruity aromas team up with hints of chocolate and coffee. Not great as it is a bit weak.

Tastes are light with good emphasis on the coffee and bits of chocolate. An okay malt backbone but overall it seems to be a little lacking.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin but carbonation is good overall and it works reasonable well with this beer.

Overall a reasonably tasty brew with reasonable flavour but it lacks depth and intensity.

3.22/5  rDev -16.8%

After trying the Shakespeare Stout I was looking forward to this one. The head is a little less than creamy and dark brown fading to a cream colour. Rogue I have found is not one of the most talented group op Hop blenders I have tasted. And here it is proven. The hops are pleasant on the nose but the blend leaves something to be desired. There is a roughness to the finish that I just didn't like. The overall flavor is ok. I would say give it a try - but if you have other porters to choose from, then buy one of those instead. I was disappointed.

3.22/5  rDev -16.8%

I'm always interested on what Rogue has to offer.. so when I spotted a Rogue's Mocha Porter at a Whole Foods Market in Orlando I picked it up.

This one poured well. A dark amber black with a coffee colored head. The head recedes to a small ring of foam..no lacing to be found on the way down.

The smell is nice .. caramel sweetness, chocolate and coffee. My first few gulps had lots of chocolate but after that the taste is dominated by bitter coffee. There is some complexity but it's hard to find in all that bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the poor side.. heavily carbonated and rather uninteresting. I could see this being more drinkable in the winter but right now (prime summer).. it's just not in the cards.

3.21/5  rDev -17.1%

Presentation: 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. No indication of bottling/freshness date.

A- Very dark brown, nearly opaque. Pours with <1 finger of tan head, which fades slightly, leaving a thin layer throughout the duration of consumption. Heavy lacing.

S- Moderate hoppy/earthy aroma. Sadly, I'm almost completely missing the coffee/chocolate undertones that I was anticipating.

T- Slight citrusy tinge on the front. Strong burnt/bitter hops and coffee overwhelms the flavor. Chocolate flavors only become apparent towards final 1/3 of my consumption. Balance/enjoyment clearly improves as it warms.

M- Medium/light carbonation. Fairly smooth.

D- Decent. Not too heavy. Again, overall drinkability improves dramatically as it warms.

Future outlook: Iffy. I probably won't seek it out again anytime soon, but I wouldn't reject it if it were offered to me, nor would I kick it out of my fridge were it to magically materialize there...

3.21/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into my tulip.

A – Dark brown with ruby edges. One finger of light tan head that quickly recedes. Spotty lacing.

S – Vanilla, Mocha and light sweet chocolate.

T – First taste is almost a burnt roast with some bitter flavor from what tastes like dark chocolate. Trace hints of vanilla and mocha but does not make it sweet at all. Has a bit of smokiness.

M- Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Slick on the palate.

O – Eh it was ok for me but nothing special. Tad thin and not much mocha.

3.21/5  rDev -17.1%

Appearance: Pours a dark (dark) brown body with a wispy, thinning beige head.

Smell: Fairly delicate, Kahlua-ish aroma of bittersweet chocolate and breakfast blend coffee.

Taste: Mildy bitter coffee flavor dominates, with lesser notes of unsweetened chocolate. Roasty, ashen dryness on the finish that bears a bit of grassiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Mild carbonation.

Drinkability: Its nice enough, but a bit too thin for me, both in depth of flavor and body.

12 oz bottle

A - Extremely dark in color - thick looking. Chocolate colored head appears quickly and is well retained. Carbonation is hot strong in the appearance and little haze can be detected.

S - Muted nose from this beer. At best there is a chocolate undertone hiding in there somewhere.

T - Also very light in its flavor. Starts with a very light roasted malt flavor which is immediately balanced by some bitter mid-stream notes. The trademark pacman yeast is noticeable to me. Bitter aftertaste.

M - Not as thick and creamy as the appearance would say - almost lacking in body I would say. Watery. No carbonation bite.

D - Easy to drink - not filling. Flavors are not so potent that it would be a single in a session. Probably not a an extended session beer however due to its sweeter flavors.

A solid porter - but nothing spectacular.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Black. Large, craggy beige head. Good retention that stayed until I finished and some foam splatter lace up top.

Smells of roast malt, dark roast coffee, rogue yeast, and faint bitter dark chocolate.

Tastes bittersweet. Roasted dark malt, coffee, and charcoal comprised the bitter whilst bitter baking chocolate, and burnt nut made up the sweet. The two tastes never really seamed to settle in together and this beer seemed confused as to what it was trying to do. Sour ash aftertaste and a light mouthfeel. The actual mocha aspect of the whole beer was played down which was a suprise; considering the name and all.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

I am not sure if this one was not a bit too old on the shelf...
It is about time Rogue puts expiration dates, or at least bottling dates on its beers with ABV 7 or lower.
Anyway, it is a very dark, black beer with just a reddish hue when held against light.
Highly carbonated, with a bubbly brown head that dissipates leaving a nice lacing.
Smell is really faint, of roasted malts and coffee. As a matter of fact, alcohol is the most pronounced smell.
Taste is good, but again not very pronounced, with bitter chocolate and a hint of coffee that disappears in the mouth way too quickly, leaving only a little bit more hops than I like in a porter.
Medium body, not light enough for a session, but good enough for two in a row.
I would really love to know its bottling date, to take the doubt out of my mind - is this really just an OK beer or was it too old?

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Black label with a blue clothed figure drinking a beer tipping his hat.

Appearance: Half a finger head, that dissipates medium quickly. Pitch black in color. Smooth-liquidy appearance.

Smell: Mocha, coffee and chocolate aromas present.

Mouthfeel: Has the coffee/porter bite to it initially.

Taste/Drinkability: The chocolaty flavors I was expecting are not that present. More of a bitter flavor, which I guess is to be expected from the coffee portion of the moca equation.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a very dark cola color. dark amber light visible only faintly around the bottom edges when held to the light. nice creamy off white head, retains well.

in the smell I get rich chocolate and toasted caramel malts. smells good.

Taste is not too complex, it is mostly toasted malts as mentioned above with a fairly noticeable hop presence leaving bittering towards the end. I'm pretty disappointed here, and expected a more complex malt body.

Mouthfeel is very thin and more watery than it looks.
Some tingling from the hops and moderate carbonation.

It goes down easy, but I don't think i'll be revisiting it, as it is a bit pricey at a little over $2 for a single. Definitely worth trying, but not my favorite porter.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Pitch black with a light tan head.

Smells of molasses and blackberries to create an odd irony fruitiness. Ground coffee finds its way in.

Taste is metallic and strangely bitter. Dark fruits and yeast flavors repel each other while coffee additions remain constant. Aftertaste is more unwelcomed bitterness and char.

Medium bodied with smooth even carbonation.

Not in line with most delicious porters.

3.17/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured in a pint glass

Appearance: Nice dark chocolate brown. Thin head.

Smell: This area was a real disappointment. There was no discernible aroma from this porter. Now, I admittedly have a weak sense of smell, so I let my wife take a whiff. Her nose is hyper-sensitive. Again nothing.

Taste: Nice coffee and chocolate flavors, some hops, but the finish is weak.

Mouthfeel: Perhaps a little over-carbonated with some nice chewiness.

Drinkability: Though the abv is slightly high (just over 5%), I would consider this a good session beer. It is easy on the palate and fairly well balanced.

Overall: I feel as though I needed a lot more time to let this beer warm up. It was entirely too cold and I feel as though much of the flavor may have been masked.

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%

Deep brown head, dense and frothy; like a capit keeps the beer in the glass. Makes it appear thicker than it is.
Dark brown pour, like cola color. Great aroma, good earthy qualities and bit chocolaty.

Tastes like a bitter chocolate. The bitterness is pronounced in every sip, but that seems typical from the few Rogues I've had.

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%

A: Dark color with a tiny brown head that didn't stick around for long

S: Hints of roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, vanilla and berries.

T: Very sour and roasty.

M: Fairly full bodied which is a good aspect to a brew this size.

D: Slightly above average due to the sour notes from the coffee flavours.

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%

A dark dark beer with a bitter, coffee smell. It came to the table with a tan blanket of head that was on the thin side, and a decent collar with pretty good lacing.

I couldnt get a good smell out of this one. There was the basics: Roasted and Chocolate smells, some hops. The taste was a good, well rounded and tasty.

an all around decent beer.

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%

I'm not sure what the date was on this, so it could have been new or a few years old. It poured black with a small tan colored head. The smell was mostly roasty, with a slight hint of dark chocolate.There was mainly a roasted coffee taste, again with a slight hint of chocolate, but not as much chocolate as expected for a Mocha Porter. The mouthfeel was quite nice as this was a cool, smooth, and creamy beer. This wasn't a bad beer by any means. I'm glad I tried it but I wouldn't rush out to buy more. I get the feeling that it was a year or two old so I'd like to try it new.

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%

Haven't had this in a while but I remembered not being floored by it. Similar impression today. Beautiful, thick, tan head with very nice lacing all the way down. Similar to other observations, I noticed a distinct metallic/musty smell. Pretty thin mouthfeel. The rich, malty, toasted barley flavor was the high point but it didn't last long and was eventually overtaken by the bitter coffee/mocha flavor. The coffee/mocha flavor made for an interesting taste during the first few sips but eventually it was all I noticed and boy did it linger: I still taste it now. I didn't note what I consider hops balancing out the beer but I am fairly new to analyzing complex tastes and don't quite notice all the subtleties yet. It might be well paired with a red meat as it is not too filling and bitter but I don't think I would have a craving for this like some other porters. It is an interesting beer at first, and I would drink it over some others, but it's not my first choice.

3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

Bottle poured into a chalice.
Nice head, good appearance. Pleasant enough coffee taste.
A nice beer but the aftertaste is a bit off putting. Slight cloy that makes me wish I had selected something else.
I'm glad I tried this beer but wouldn't recommend it.

3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

pours black with red highlights when held up to the light, medium tan head that left quite quickly leaving a ring around the edge with slight lacing as i drink.

smelled strong of roasted malt, slight coffee, chocolate.... whiff of hops right off the top...

taste was immediately of hop bitterness, followed by bitter chocolate and barely a touch of coffee... i was hoping for more coffee flavor, a little bit less hops i guess, although i have noticed that most rogue beers i have tried seem to all be a little heavy on the hops (IMO)... as it warmed the chocolate flavor strengthened as did the hop flavor, still not as much mocha as i would have liked for a mocha porter...

the back end was dry with all the hops, leaving a clean palate that makes this beer drinkable. i finished it with no problems, but with so many other porters out there i dont know if i would choose this one again any time soon, but i wouldnt snub my nose at it if someone handed me a cold one!

Purchased as a bottle from Capital Ale house in Glen Allen, VA - pint

Pours a dark brown with minimal to moderate head and not really any lacing. Smells like a mild porter. Not much coffee or chocolate to note. Taste follows. A basic porter with no real stand out characteristics.

Overall this is an overpriced, okay porter.

3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

I am not a coffee drinker, so please keep that in mind when reading my notes.

A - dark brown thin but creamy head

S - roasted coffee and bitter chocolate with a burnt overtone

T - three flavors jump out at me in this order, burnt, coffee, roasted nuts

M - a little metallic, lighter body than I predicted, leaves a lingering burnt coffee taste.

D - To me this was below the line of acceptability in terms of drinkability.

Overall I'd say that this is an ambitious attempt from one of my very favorite breweries. Coffee drinkers might love it but I sure don't. Not of of Rogues gems, of which there are many.

3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

Served from a 12 oz bottle with no discernible freshness date. The bottle was a bit cold since it had been in my fridge for two days, but I allowed it to slowly warm to room temperature while I drank it. Poured a coal black with a thin, off-white head. Very little retention. Smells of light chocolate, burnt sugar/caramel, sweet toasted barley. Tastes much of the same; ends with a dark chocolate bitterness. Few traces of any hops. Mouthfeel is decent, but a little watery for porter. Overall, another good offering from Rogue, although not my favorite of theirs or my favorite porter.

3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

Haven't had this in a few years, and realized that I hadn't reviewed it, so here goes.

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a slightly translucent deep brown, as porters should be, with over an inch of dark khaki head that dissipated quickly and left minimal lacing.

The coffee aromas are thankfully minimal, but a very pleasing chocolaty sweetness dominates the nose. Underlying are some subdued roasted tones. The evil coffee (I know, it's a coffee beer, but I hate coffee) shows up on the tongue more than the aroma leads you to expect. The other expected tastes, roast, malt and a touch of hops, are there in the expected proportions.

The body is on the thin side for the style and probably should have received a half point less than I gave it, but hell, it's the holidays. Drinkability is actually good, it's even better if you like coffee.

Overall, a decent, solid beer that you can be comfortable relying on as a go-to. It won't be so long again before I have my next one.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales