2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Mocha PorterMocha Porter

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,230 | Reviews: 1,302 | Show All Ratings:
jeremy13586

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Had this on cask at Fatheads last week. Poured black into a mug with a nice fluffy light-brown head. The smell of roasted malts hits the nose up front followed by the scent of coffee and hints of baker's chocolate. The taste follows the scent. A nice roasted malt backbone followed by the taste of coffee and bitter chocolate. A very smooth and solid brew. I'm very happy that I got to enjoy this as my first cask beer. I could drink it every day if Fatheads didn't rotate casks.

Serving type: cask

03-24-2008 01:26:54 | More by jeremy13586
EnojysAnyBeer

Colorado

My 4th Rogue brew. I usually enjoy this brand very much

A- Transparent brown on the edges and black in the middle. Great mocha colored head with much lacing.

S- Smell is of much chocolate and some coffee and molasses

T- Tastes like bitter coffee balanced with chocolate. Good taste if you like coffee.

M- Feels very smooth with a medium-light body and ample carbonation

D- Drinks great with a light enough body to pound back easily.

05-19-2008 04:50:34 | More by EnojysAnyBeer
mcsquint

Missouri

12oz bottle poured into pint glass
A - Dark brown with ruby tinges. Quickly diminishing 2 finger tan head. Thin lacing on glass.
S - Roasted malt, chocolate and coffee.
T - Toasty malt with more coffee than the smell would indicate; bittersweet chocolate. Slight floral and citrus on finish.
M - Medium with a somewhat crisp carbonation. Well balanced, doesn't linger like some porters.
D - One of my favorite American Porters. The ABV is @5%, so I'm having another!

12-16-2008 22:44:11 | More by mcsquint
Taz_Michael

Bazzinga!

A: Dark, like cowboy chicory. Poured into an Imperial pint glass, the head is slightly less than a finger, with the perfect amount of lacing.

S: Mocha, coffee, caramel, hops, brown sugar

T: Prairie sludge: in a good way. Strong coffee flavor, with just the right amounts of porter and chocolate.

M: Creamy but not filling. The acidity of coffee hangs out with your buds for a few. The hops are well balanced, as a porter should be.

O: Drink, drank, drunk... gonna stock this one in my cooler trunk!

08-08-2013 23:40:08 | More by Taz_Michael
jlenik

4.48/5  rDev +15.8%

a: aggressive two fingers worth of head appears rapidly and has moderate staying power. almost black with some dark amber and ruby hues.

s: caramel, dark chocolate, coffee.

t: coffee and chocolate bitterness is apparent. malt sweetness follows through and ends with a caramel taste on the tongue.

m: creamy yet dry.

o: I know that Rogue doesn't get a lot of love and admittedly I don't like many of their brews, BUT, this is a great beer. I'm a big fan of porters so I'm happy to see Rogue doing this style right.

03-01-2012 02:12:25 | More by jlenik
ethosx19

Wisconsin

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

This is yet another Rogue beer that I enjoyed. The hops made the lighter mocha flavor more difficult to detect, but it still worked well. I'm glad the malt wasn't roasted any more, it seemed just right.

01-05-2003 16:35:48 | More by ethosx19
Globetrotter

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Procured in Johnson City, Tennessee and shipped by air to Moscow. Lots of ingredients listed, including chocolate malt. No freshness info.

Clear dark chocolate brown under a one finger beige head that fades ever so slowly but leaving only a few wisps of lace. Nice caramel and malt nose with a hint of flowery hops. Quite prickly and reasonably heavy, particularly from the sweetness. Nice feel to it, even after the liquid fades. Strong chocolate flavors to start, with a bit of smokiness. Espresso flavors emerge later, particularly as it warms. That dry bite lingers well in the aftertaste, creating a lovely blend of chocolate and coffee. Nice.

12-06-2004 18:08:06 | More by Globetrotter
wailingwench

New Mexico

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Eye Candy: Thick, pillowy tan haed over ink black. Deep, dark, mysterious, and inviting.

The Nose Knows: Initial sweet fruit, touch of caramel, all chocolate, slight hop to clear the nose.

Tongueland: Slightly creamy, but just a tad thin. Slight sweet fruit, touch of rich cocoa, finishes bitter chocolate, burnt coffee, lingering hop aftertaste.

Bender: Somehow reminds me of Harveys Christmas Ale mixed with a rich Porter. Another one to add to the usual list.

12-30-2004 23:37:39 | More by wailingwench
Shiloh

Ontario (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

This porter should be enjoyed in front of a roaring fire, in a lodge in a complete relaxing mode.
Exellent.
Almost coal black with a firm tan crown combining later with a thick ring and pleasing glass cling.
Carbonation is undetermined due to the hue, but it sure feels more than adequate.
The scent is that of a burnt dark chocolate.
The taste exceptional...burried malts to accent the hop lead.
Coffee beans, dark chocolate, assortment of nuts and cream.
Hats off Rogue, you have done it again.

01-15-2005 02:53:15 | More by Shiloh
ypsifly

From notes.

Undated 12oz poured into a pint.

Damn near black with a tan head that is rather large and shows good retention for a porter. Nice lacing effect.

Smells of chocolate, good coffee, and mild hops. Has a slightly nutty aroma.

Tastes very smooth. Roasted malts andcaramel balanced with just the right amount of hop bitterness. Delicious!

Smooth, almost milky mouthfeel. I'm not much of a porter drinker, but I could session with this one for sure.

06-07-2005 04:59:57 | More by ypsifly
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer is a dark brown color with a short but thick tan head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: Strong roasted coffee & chocolate malt aroma, as the name implies, along with some smokiness and a little bit of hops.

T: The smoked flavor hits first, then the sweet, roasted mocha-coffee taste, followed by a bitter dark chocolate & hops combination. The smoky flavor is what sticks around in the after-taste. I definitely wasn’t expecting such complexity, which is a pleasant surprise.

M: Rich and very smooth, with medium carbonation, medium body and a clean finish. It doesn’t leave the sticky or oily film that some other beers in this style can.

D: It’s tasty, smooth and goes down easy. Normally I take my time drinking a beer as I review it, but I found myself down to the last sip well before I finished typing the review. I could certainly make short work of a sixer, too bad I just bought one bottle (which is the only downside to mixing a six-pack in those liquor stores that allow it). However, it does seem possible that as you move through a sixer, it may fill you up just a bit. An excellent beer from Rogue. In comparing it within the style, I liked it a bit more the Stone Smoked Porter and the others that I’ve tried. I don’t smoke, but I would image this beer would go well with a cigar too.

05-11-2006 03:24:40 | More by TheManiacalOne
Nibbley

Georgia

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Another outstanding offering from the Rogue brewery. Pours pitch black with small beige head that doesn't last long. Tastes of dark roast coffee and semi-sweet chocolate. Nice tight carbonation that dances in your mouth. Good session brew, haven't found a food this one wont go with.

01-26-2008 01:00:58 | More by Nibbley
schanker21

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a dark, dark brown into my pint glass. Looks black until held up to the light, where it is a barely translucent and very dark brown. At first I thought I could only see light through the edges of my glass, but my friend pointed out that I wasn't holding it at a good angle and that you could indeed see a small amount of light through the whole thing. I got a little over a two finger, tan head that left very heavy lacing throughout.

Smells like an excellent porter. Roasted flavors coming through with a hint of coffee at the end.

Taste is also roasted, with a coffee and chocolate finish. Excellent, excellent taste. This is the best porter I've had in quite some time. Definitely one to keep handy whenever possible.

07-22-2008 04:15:21 | More by schanker21
yesyouam

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Rogue Mocha Porter is a rich dark brown ale with a fluffy, light caramel colored head. The aroma is of sweet caramel, coffee, chocolate, brown sugar and maybe vanilla. It is full bodied and fluffy; very smooth with a clean finish. The flavor is well balanced with notes of coffee, licorice or fennel, and chocolate. There is a short aftertaste of licorice. Not as 'mocha' as I expected, but an excellent porter-- one that I will buy again!
(rated Jun 26, 2008)

12-20-2008 03:19:07 | More by yesyouam
deaconoflove

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Ap. Very dark beer with a great tan head that lingers awhile. Nice lacing on the glass, too.
Sm. Toasted coffee/malt? and chocolate, too.
Ta. Very toasted/burnt coffe/malt. Smooth finish.
Mf. Very mellow and soft with a nice carbonation.
Dr. I am really sorry there was only one cold bottle in the fridge. Fabulous with a Harry and David's Dark Chocolate Truffle.

04-07-2009 23:47:18 | More by deaconoflove
KrisPaulk77

Mississippi

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

The beer pours a deep, dark brown, with some garnet hues when held to light. The head on this fella was huge. It was a better than two finger head of pillowy tan foam that subsides to a lingering cap of foam and nice show of lace that lasts throughout.
The aroma is full of coffee and some chocolate, and a distinct Rogue aroma. I can't pinpoint it exactly, I just know it's Rogue. Must be the Oregon water or something...
The taste of this porter is delicious. It's full of coffee, roast, and bitter chocolate as well as a moderate hop bitterness. The finish has some astringincy and hint of bitter chocolate near the end. The mouthfeel is moderate in feel and carbonation.
I keep this on stock in my house. It's one of my favorite go-to beers. A wonderful offering from John Maier and Rogue.

10-05-2009 00:04:37 | More by KrisPaulk77
DoktorZee

Alberta (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a bottle into a Schooner glass. Didn't see a best before date on the bottle.

A - dark brown, but not black. Slightly lighter than other porters with a bit of light actually passing through! Nice fluffy half inch head that hangs around and adds some nice lacing as I drink this beauty.

S - very slightly grass with big chocolate malt and caramel, and just a hint of coffee.

T - initially a little bitter with a bite resolving into a nice complex malt and coffee with just a bit of booziness.

M - nicely balanced between lightness and satisfying "weight" of a darker beer. Just a hint of bitterness at the back of the throat.

D - exceptionally drinkable, surprisingly so. Was expecting something heavier, but this goes down very well.

This is a great beer; heard good things about it, came with expectations and wasn't disappointed.

01-05-2011 04:05:40 | More by DoktorZee
docnose

Alabama

4.46/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy the bottle art of this beer.

The appearance is black. Black like tar. Even while back lit this beer is still dark. It has a nice head that lasts... I poured my bottle into a glass and left it on my desk for 20 or so minutes and it still has a nice frothy 1/4 inch of head.

I really need to read more, and smell more, when it comes to identifying aromas. The smell is not overwhelming in any particular direction... I want to say it smells of mocha, but I don't even know what that means! Mocha is in the name so I want to say that's the smell... It's, I guess, a balanced aroma of coffee without any strong smell of hops (the Kudzu Porter from Back Forty smells strongly of hops in comparison).

Someone more experienced than I can probably describe the complexity of the taste. The strongest is, of course, the mocha flavor... hints of chocolate... I find it absolutely delicious. They need to barrel age this stuff in Jack Daniel's barrels so I can contrast it with another local barrel aged porter that I love.

The mouthfeel is kind of creamy... thickish... but with a somewhat refreshing dryness to it...

Overall I love this porter very much. I expected I would from what I'd heard/read about it. I couldn't get it as a single from the liquor store so I had to get a whole six pack and I have no doubt that I will drink them all... maybe even tonight...!

02-15-2013 05:21:30 | More by docnose
Bighuge

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very dark brew but the faintest hint of light does get through. Very creamy brown head with depth and moderate retention. There is a thick chocolate aroma. Very much like mocha (surprise). I also get a nice roasted malt aroma on the nose. This is my kind of porter. I like a hoppy porter that also exhibits the chocolate and roast qualites without fail. This is it. Similar to the SN Porter. I thought this had a good hop load and indeed it does. I looked up the IBU and it is 54.5 using perle and centennial hops. But this really accentuates the great porter traits in my opinion. I still get great mocha, coffe, bitersweet chocolate and roasted malt tastes. Very good porter.

04-12-2002 21:46:18 | More by Bighuge
aaronh

4.45/5  rDev +15%

Pours with an enormous head. So large that I could not pour the entire 12 oz bottle into a pint glass in one pour. After waiting a few minutes for the head to dissipate, I finished the pour. The head retention on this beer is great as well. I enjoyed the rocky, dark tan head for several minutes, and it left a very thick lace on the glass and kept a fairly thick ring around the edge of the glass througout the entire beer. The body of the beer is dark brown. The aroma is of sweet chocolate and some coffee notes mixed with a hint of hops aroma. The taste is a kaleidescope of flavors that seemed to change with every sip. From bitter hops, to dark chocolate, to coffee, to roasted malt, then sweet chocolate. This beer had very complex flavors that were extremely enjoyable. The mouthfeel was good, but not a thick as I think the beer deserves, as a thicker mouthfeel may complement the wide array of flavors better. The drinkability is also fairly good. This is an enjoyable brew, even considering the over agressive head I experienced on the pour (which often times can be frustrating).

10-22-2002 19:42:47 | More by aaronh
Bang34

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark, dark black, held it up to the light and there was not a hint of brown to be seen, just how I like it. Had a thick head to begin with but it faded after the first two sips and eft a bit of a lace on the glass.

The small was malty with a hint of coffee and chocolate, the taste was much the same, malty smooth with chocolate and coffee, however not too sweet.

Very drinkable. Took a sixer to my friend's superbowl party today and other's shyed away from this dark wonder, more for me! Now at the top of my porter's list.

02-02-2004 06:50:04 | More by Bang34
mitchfor3

4.45/5  rDev +15%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, purchased in a sixer at BevMo for about $8.

This is a damn good porter. Smell hits you right out of the bottle, even before pouring. Rich flavor with strong coffee and more subtle chocolate.

Slightly over carbonated, meaning taste is a bit delayed - let this one sit in your mouth for a few seconds before swallowing to savor the flavor.

Could have used a tad bit better head retention, but good lacing, and impressively thick body.

Overall a fantastic American porter - another outstanding ale from Rogue.

10-14-2005 06:50:53 | More by mitchfor3
veggiemafia

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Absolutely completely love this one.

Great coffee black color with a darkish brown sticky head just like an espresso.

Smell is really damn close to being as great as Edmund Fitz. Coffee and molasses and like the name implies, mocha and chocolate with a good malty thing happening and a little bit of hops.

Taste is similar with the start being sweet mocha and malt and finishing with an absolutely perfect amount of bitterness and hop bite in the finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth but still pretty lively, really good.

Could drink this all day, all night, and have it for breakfast in the morning.

12-05-2005 05:28:12 | More by veggiemafia
MiScusi

4.45/5  rDev +15%

Rogue Mocha Porter 12oz bottle.

Pitch black with a light brown somewhat creamy head. As you hold it up to light it doesn't remain pitch black but contains ruby highlights throughout. Thick 3-finger head with aggressive pour but it dwindles pretty fast.

I smell some faint hops and roasted malt.

Taste has a pronounced bitterness on the front end, and fades into roasted chocolate in the aftertaste. Hops linger in the post-post-aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is a little slick, medium-heavy body, fair carbonation.

Excellent porter, with a little more bitterness than I've seen in other porters but in my opinion that doesn't detract from it one bit. You'll want another one if you like porters.

07-04-2006 01:31:29 | More by MiScusi
zymurgy4all

4.45/5  rDev +15%

This is another great one from Rogue. I got this in the bottle at Loco's in Auburn, AL, and I was immediately impressed. I am not a fan of porters, so all those out there who don't like the usual porter, try this one. It pours very dark, has a medium head, and has some chocolate overtones and balanced hoppiness that is just great. I highly recommend this brew. It leaves a residual flavor that can complement a steak, or other hearty meal. Keep it up Rogue--This one is a winner!

02-05-2007 01:02:31 | More by zymurgy4all