Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,336 | Hads: 2,721
1.68/5  rDev -56.7%

From 12 ounce bottle.

The first thing on opening the bottle is the sour smell that hits the nose!

The pour looks beautiful, deep brown/black liquid with frothy beige head that lasted well untill I took a taste!

I will not finish a brew that I do not like, so this was tossed after 2 mouthfuls! It tasted to me of rancid coffee and it left a nasty aftertaste that unfortunately lingered quite a while! (403 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -48.7%

From notes verbatim on 10/8/10

A: Deep brown, spotting sheet of cream over beer. No visible rays of light.

S: Spicy cascade hops (surprise), touch of cocoa over the hoppy porter backbone.

T: Reminds me of leftover espresso grain that has been left behind. Not good to me.

M: Wish it was creamier or less combative on my tongue. I almost want to add sugar.

D: I don't care for this as a mocha beer. Need to tone down the carbonation. (437 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -48.2%

I don't know if I got an old bottle or something but this was very underwhelming. It looked good enough, dark and black, poured a decent head. No smell whatsoever. I see reviews saying that it smelled like coffee or chocolate, I just smell a very vague bitterness that has no real character.

The taste is extremely bland and very light. Again, no real character and to move on to mouthfeel, it's very very thin and there is basically no carbonation present.

It's somewhat drinkable because it's so inoffensive but that's not something I look for in a beer. I'll have to try this if I'm out in Oregon again but this time I was really not impressed at all. (656 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -47.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer poured black but had a amber opaqueness to sunlight. The head was almost nonexistant.

Smell: I could smell toasty roasty coffee but nothing else.

Taste: The taste had a combination of coffee and chocolate no surprises.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: Overall this beer strikes me as being thin and watery. (373 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Deep chocolate with dirty cream head

S: Medicinal, cough syrup, some coffee and roasted malt

T: Sweet and a bit sickly. Not flawed but not particularly pleasant.

M: Smooth though syrupy.

O: Not my style. Seems well enough made but there are lots of beers I look forward to drinking, this not being one of them. (317 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -34.3%

Dark mahogany brown, with a moderate sized tan head. Aroma has slight hints of chocolate, but no noticeable coffee. Flavor is mostly of chocolate with coffee highlights, and some roasted malt, but no hops. The surprising and overpowering sweetness of the flavor is offputting. Also, the mouthfeel is slick, greasy, and somewhat heavy. No need to come back to this one. (368 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -34%

Beer pours to a beautiful black with a tan head, foam clings to the side of the glass and dissapates after pouring. Smells very roasted and almost astringent. The roasted malt is very aggressive, but is severely beaten down by hop bitterness. The beer has a very fizzy feel to it, which really is none too pleasant in a porter.
The roasted malt was huge in this beer, and right on, but the bitterness and effervescence were way to aggressive in a porter, in my opinion. (471 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This porter is a very very stout dark. The head is small, light brown, and doesn't hang out very long at all.
The smell is mainly hop aroma and a faint coffee.
My first taste, and oh man...way too much bitterness! I expected a rich, creamy, smooth porter. And what I got was a bitter, faintly coffee and roasted malt flavored, fizzy dark beer. I only noticed flavor other than bitterness when I swished the brew around my mouth for about 5 or 6 seconds. The mouthfeel was rather thin for a porter and the aftertaste was a long lasting unpleasant bitterness. I was very disappointed. I much prefer a less hoppy, more thick and creamy porter like Fuller's London or Edmund Fitzgerald. I highly recommend those two porters, but not this one, unless you love hop bitterness. (774 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -32.7%

I've only had a few Rogue beers before, this being my most recent. I had been putting off trying it because I haven't liked many of their beers except for their stouts. This beer was no acception, it was an over hopped and coffee lacking mocha porter. You dont get much coffee taste in it, a lot of bitter hops. Not well rounded at all, tried it at room temp and cold. Both were no good, nothing spectacular here. (413 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -32%

Perhaps not as "big" as i was expecting. Some light roasted malt and chocolate malt, with a fair hit of citrusy hops towards the finish, and perhaps some light smokyness, fairly pleasant, if a bit uncomplex, not really what i was expecting, but fairly tasty, i don't think the flavours quite blended either. (307 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -31.7%

The pour into my Fuller's nonic raises a one finger dark tan head that leaves slippery lacing. The head falls pretty fast to a thin glass ring over a very dark brown/ruby body. The nose is lightly roasted, with some bare hints of coffee and perhaps some citrusy hops. The taste is quite forward in its coffee/chocolate character, within some strong roast. Hoppiness hits early, but gives way to a lasting roasted bitterness. Finishes quite dry. Too roasted and bitter, in my opinion. The mouth is very thick, with smooth carbonation. I should have reviewed this the first time, almost two years ago. I won't be coming back. (623 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -30.4%

Appearance- Dark, rich and non transparent

Smell- Toasty, Really couldn't smell it.

Taste- Well the name fits the taste, "Mocha"

Mouthfeel- You can make out the carbonation in it.

Head- Two inches at end of pour, Lacing is straight

I think Rogue has a great product line and this one certainly has potential but it's not me. Good Avg.

By the way it looks as if they change the label on the bottle. (417 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -29.9%

I tried this a long time ago and remembered liking it. So I thought I would try it again. I love coffee, I love beer (esp. porters). What could go wrong?

Pours a beautiful, nearly opaque black with a 1" tan head that quickly disappears. The smell is glorious...lovely malts, chocolate, sweetbread(?).

Taste is another beast. Yes, there is sweet malt here, but its overwhelmed by bad flavors. Burnt coffee (not in a good way), burnt bisquits, burnt everything. I like porters, but something is really wrong here. There is a odd chemical astringent taste, and it's overwhelming. Halfway through I have to eat some saltines just to continue. Something is out of whack here.

The mouthfeel is actually good, a medium body with good carbonation. It improves slightly as it warms, but this is not the beer I remember. Rogue is a good brewery and one that I respect, so I can only assume that I simply got a bad batch. I'll have to review this again some other time. (967 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -29.6%

Serving Type: Standard 12 oz bottle

Appearance: Pours a lovely almost black beer where no light can shine through. A dark tan head that leaves to quickly and has almost no lacing

Smell: Maybe it's just this particular one that I have but I find that the smell is rather tame. Some Porters you can easily pick up the different traces spread throughout the beer but this one it takes a bit to get a good smell. I get a faint dark chocolate w/ roasted coffee.

Taste: Has a chocolate taste that is almost overpowered by the roasted coffee taste. A light molasses taste lingers throughout the end of the drink. The balance of the 3 flavours seems a little off as the beer is a bit bitter than what I expected from smelling it. The roasted coffee comes across really strong compared to the chocolate

Mouthfeel: Smooth yet a little thick. It lingers in the mouth w/ a dry feeling

Drinkability: A enjoyable dark porter that is a touch bitter but not altogether what I was expecting. The bitterness overshadows any expectations you may have from the name of the beer (1,063 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -28.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a regular glass.

A: Pours a very dark red color. The head is a very nice two finger mocha (ha!) shade with great texturing and excellent retention.

S: There's a coffee - albeit slightly stale - and hazelnut quality to the aroma in general, and even a little bit of licorice. The aroma could be stronger, and as a point of nitpicking, slightly less vegetal as well.

T:The flavor is more coffee forward in general, from the starting flavors all the way to the finish. Problem is, just like the aroma, it seems awfully stale and vegetal. The said quality kills the finish with excessive bitterness. The hoppiness and roast don't really get along, either. Can't say I enjoy this one too much.

M: Airy and bone dry; normally, this is a quality I enjoy in my dark beers, but not when it's so dry it comes off as watery. A thicker texture (not to mention a bit more residual sweetness) would really help this out, but it helps make an otherwise mediocre beer more drinkable.

O: This is way too thin, bitter, and vegetal for me to enjoy this in any significant capacity. Needless to say, I won't be repeating this one in the future. (1,155 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -28.4%

A: Poured a dark black color with lots of frothy white/tan head. Lots of lacing down the glass.
S: Smell is of chocolate and coffee with some hop spiciness at the end
T: Taste is the same as the smell, coffe and chocolate that was very bitter almost too bitter for me at the end. Actually pretty hard for me to drink all of this one. Didn't like the bitterness.
M: Mouthfeel is fairly watery and bitter
D: Not bad, but I'll go with many other Rogue brews before getting this one again. (490 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -28.4%

Appearance: This beer pours a deep dark brown that borders on black to the enter. There is only a slight light brown head that dissipates to a nice covering film.

Smell: This beer is a bit tight on the nose. It has a faint roasted aroma that hides behind some rich caramel and very slight chocolate notes.

Taste: This beer is forward with a roasted / burnt caramel flavor. It taste slightly of chard meat with, again, an extremely faint chocolate flavor to in the mid palette. The beer finishes with a slight bitter roast aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: This beer is rather medium light to light in body with a medium to medium high carbonation. This overall makes for a beer that seems a bit light for a porter.

Drinkability: The thin nature of this beer makes it easy to drink. I could quaff back quite a few of these with a meal as it tends to feel not overly heavy.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: For a porter I expect something with a more bold mouth feel and flavors. I was disappointed in the nose of this beer as well as its accompanying flavors. The light body, again, does not make this feel light a porter but instead more of a dark brown ale. I think the fact that this beer is dubbed a "Mocha" porter makes it even more disappointing due to the lack of chocolate flavors and aromas. I think this beer would pair nicely with spicy foods, but would not choose it as a stand alone beer to drink. Even with the food pairing at nearly $10.00 a six pack I would spend my money on other porters in the future. (1,501 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Nice dark brown colors with a finger and a half of slightly brown head. Can't even see through the beer, good

S - Roasty and chocolaty, but nothing special. Smell is a bit weak

T - No mocha at all, a weak porter (almost on par with the level of taste of Guinness) and far too much hop bite.

M - Average, nothing to write home about.

D - Not enjoying it, I was really looking forward to the style and I love dead guy and a lot of other Rogue stuff, but I was just flat unimpressed with this. (498 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -27.3%

From the bottle served in a snifter.

Appearance: black with a thin brown head

Smell: milk chocolate, coffee, cream

Taste/Mouthfeel: hop bite, spicy hops, very slight chocolate

I would have expected more chocolate out of something called "Mocha" Porter. (256 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -27.1%

I think they should have called this Espresso Porter. If this had caffeine, I would have a reason to drink it.

The smell was to me the standard, Rogue hoppiness that I've found in nearly all of their which beers I've tried. I personally don't like hoppiness in a porter, but I went with it.

The taste was too hoppy for my like as well, with only a hint of mocha and a blast of bitter coffee. My hopes of the aftertaste bringing this beer around were dashed as well.

The mouthfeel was okay, just seemed a little flat.

Drinkablilty for me would be tough since I didn't enjoy the flavor. (597 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -26.8%

Looks: pours a complete black with a fuzzy head about a finger in thickness that collapses quickly to a splotchy, filmy layer with a thick, sticky ring of accompanying foam. Some horizontal tracks of sticky lace grip the sides as the beer descends.

Smells: a little disappointing. More chocolatey than mocha-esque in aroma. Some ritz crackers and a tiny bit of espresso emerge after a search. There's not much to it at all.

Tastes: oddly, the flavors do a switcheroo from the nose -- now there's lots of coffee, but no chocolate. Maybe a tiny bit of bitter dark chocolate, but again, it's hardly noticeable.

Feels: unimpressive. Medium, fuzzy carbonation and a light, watery body. Meh.

Drinks: It goes down easily enough, but with a name like mocha porter, I'd expect both more mocha and more porter. Too light on flavor, body and aroma. Fail, Rogue. (857 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -26.8%

Reviewed 9/21/2008 (bottle):

Pours a black dark dark brown colored body, with a tannish colored head, smallish but lasting. Has a sweet malty aroma, with some sweet coffeeness Maybe some dark fruit too. But overall, not a strong aroma. Chocolate, coffee taste. Malty. (268 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -25.5%

A: [3.25] Dark black body. There is a 1/2 finger head of small to medium tan bubbles. The bottle does not list ABV or IBU. There is a date code on the bottom - but it means nothing to me.

S: [2.75] Wafts of mocha and some metallic scent.

T: [3.00] Bitter coffee - when it is cold. When it warms up - the taste mellows but there is a slight reduction in bitterness

M: [2.75] Lots of "buzz" on the tip of the tongue. The beer is creamy - but there is a tingle of carbonation.

O: [2.75] I wanted to like this. I like stouts and porters. I really like coffee flavored stouts and porters but I do not like this one. The nose has a metallic hint. The mouthfeel has too much carbonation. The flavor is a single note that isn't executed too well. I won't buy this again. I would drink this again - but there are lots of porters I would go for first. (857 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours nicely with a generous yellow tan head and black body, brown not red at the sides. Carbonation moderate, lacing plentiful.

First strong smell I get is chalky. Not sure why, but it's strong. Malty roast aroma, a hint of berry sweetness. Not overly complex, but pleasing.

Smooth in the mouth with a chaffy flavour and coffee aftertaste. A little sweet but nicely balanced. Not bad but doesn't stand out as a "mocha porter" - tastes like a decent homebrew stout. Mouthfeel is good though, not too heavy or slimy but not dry and quaffable either. I wouldn't have another of these though, because it's a bit boring - nice for a change but there isn't anything there that shocks you or really entices you to crack a second one. I'd follow this up with something zesty and tastebud-tickling, maybe a Hefeweizen or Wit.

Overall, decent, but could have been better. (865 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle from kjyost, cheers. From notes.

A - Poured black with red edges, two fingers of brown, filmy head. Spotty lace and a finger of retention.

S - Chocolate was strong upon intial opening but calmed and moved to a touch of coffee and some roasted notes with a cocoa element too.

T - And here's that classic weak porter element! Bad cocoa powder, dusty, chalky, cola, and roasted notes.

M - Mild carbonation, medium body with a decent bitterness.

O/D - Not overly drinkable with that chalky, powdery feel. I can't understand the hype for low strength porters and stouts when they so commonly taste like this. Sorry, just didn't like it. (643 characters)

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales