Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Mocha PorterMocha Porter

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros

Rgalvin, Nov 27, 2012

jucifer1818, Nov 30, 2012

tripledbrew, Nov 06, 2012
2.03/5  rDev -47.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer poured black but had a amber opaqueness to sunlight. The head was almost nonexistant.

Smell: I could smell toasty roasty coffee but nothing else.

Taste: The taste had a combination of coffee and chocolate no surprises.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: Overall this beer strikes me as being thin and watery.

nlmartin, Nov 06, 2005

Patriot19, Nov 11, 2012

DarthVegas23, Oct 08, 2013

troobie, Mar 02, 2013
2.44/5  rDev -37%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Deep chocolate with dirty cream head

S: Medicinal, cough syrup, some coffee and roasted malt

T: Sweet and a bit sickly. Not flawed but not particularly pleasant.

M: Smooth though syrupy.

O: Not my style. Seems well enough made but there are lots of beers I look forward to drinking, this not being one of them.

GarthT, Nov 13, 2013
2.48/5  rDev -35.9%

Dark mahogany brown, with a moderate sized tan head. Aroma has slight hints of chocolate, but no noticeable coffee. Flavor is mostly of chocolate with coffee highlights, and some roasted malt, but no hops. The surprising and overpowering sweetness of the flavor is offputting. Also, the mouthfeel is slick, greasy, and somewhat heavy. No need to come back to this one.

far333, Apr 27, 2003

tmm313, Dec 10, 2012

olbubba, Jun 10, 2012

MarkyMOD, Apr 05, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -34.6%

Beer pours to a beautiful black with a tan head, foam clings to the side of the glass and dissapates after pouring. Smells very roasted and almost astringent. The roasted malt is very aggressive, but is severely beaten down by hop bitterness. The beer has a very fizzy feel to it, which really is none too pleasant in a porter.
The roasted malt was huge in this beer, and right on, but the bitterness and effervescence were way to aggressive in a porter, in my opinion.

hooligan, Feb 06, 2002
2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

I've only had a few Rogue beers before, this being my most recent. I had been putting off trying it because I haven't liked many of their beers except for their stouts. This beer was no acception, it was an over hopped and coffee lacking mocha porter. You dont get much coffee taste in it, a lot of bitter hops. Not well rounded at all, tried it at room temp and cold. Both were no good, nothing spectacular here.

liveandletdie, May 31, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

The pour into my Fuller's nonic raises a one finger dark tan head that leaves slippery lacing. The head falls pretty fast to a thin glass ring over a very dark brown/ruby body. The nose is lightly roasted, with some bare hints of coffee and perhaps some citrusy hops. The taste is quite forward in its coffee/chocolate character, within some strong roast. Hoppiness hits early, but gives way to a lasting roasted bitterness. Finishes quite dry. Too roasted and bitter, in my opinion. The mouth is very thick, with smooth carbonation. I should have reviewed this the first time, almost two years ago. I won't be coming back.

mjc410, Nov 14, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

I tried this a long time ago and remembered liking it. So I thought I would try it again. I love coffee, I love beer (esp. porters). What could go wrong?

Pours a beautiful, nearly opaque black with a 1" tan head that quickly disappears. The smell is glorious...lovely malts, chocolate, sweetbread(?).

Taste is another beast. Yes, there is sweet malt here, but its overwhelmed by bad flavors. Burnt coffee (not in a good way), burnt bisquits, burnt everything. I like porters, but something is really wrong here. There is a odd chemical astringent taste, and it's overwhelming. Halfway through I have to eat some saltines just to continue. Something is out of whack here.

The mouthfeel is actually good, a medium body with good carbonation. It improves slightly as it warms, but this is not the beer I remember. Rogue is a good brewery and one that I respect, so I can only assume that I simply got a bad batch. I'll have to review this again some other time.

1whiskey, Jun 26, 2005
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This porter is a very very stout dark. The head is small, light brown, and doesn't hang out very long at all.
The smell is mainly hop aroma and a faint coffee.
My first taste, and oh man...way too much bitterness! I expected a rich, creamy, smooth porter. And what I got was a bitter, faintly coffee and roasted malt flavored, fizzy dark beer. I only noticed flavor other than bitterness when I swished the brew around my mouth for about 5 or 6 seconds. The mouthfeel was rather thin for a porter and the aftertaste was a long lasting unpleasant bitterness. I was very disappointed. I much prefer a less hoppy, more thick and creamy porter like Fuller's London or Edmund Fitzgerald. I highly recommend those two porters, but not this one, unless you love hop bitterness.

AudioGilz, Feb 03, 2003
2.63/5  rDev -32%

Perhaps not as "big" as i was expecting. Some light roasted malt and chocolate malt, with a fair hit of citrusy hops towards the finish, and perhaps some light smokyness, fairly pleasant, if a bit uncomplex, not really what i was expecting, but fairly tasty, i don't think the flavours quite blended either.

rastaman, Jun 28, 2003