Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,341 | Hads: 2,754
4.46/5  rDev +15.2%

Frothy tan head dissipated quickly which is surprising for a rogue brew. Aroma is light yet carries a dark roasted character and a scent of fresh coffee that is not bitter at all yet it has a faint citrussy hop accent. Taste is superb with a deep chocolate flavor that is clean and delicious. Follows with a malt sweetness that is not carmely but provides a perfect balance and it finishes with a bitter chocolate flavor that has a hoppiness blended into it in a way that i wish i could describe adequately. Mouthfeel is very good as well as it has a very smooth carbonation that lets the flavors roll around your mouth without having a carbonic bite. Very drinkable and as of now it is the best American style porter i have had.

4.46/5  rDev +15.2%

Rogue Mocha Porter is a rich dark brown ale with a fluffy, light caramel colored head. The aroma is of sweet caramel, coffee, chocolate, brown sugar and maybe vanilla. It is full bodied and fluffy; very smooth with a clean finish. The flavor is well balanced with notes of coffee, licorice or fennel, and chocolate. There is a short aftertaste of licorice. Not as 'mocha' as I expected, but an excellent porter-- one that I will buy again!
(rated Jun 26, 2008)

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Procured in Johnson City, Tennessee and shipped by air to Moscow. Lots of ingredients listed, including chocolate malt. No freshness info.

Clear dark chocolate brown under a one finger beige head that fades ever so slowly but leaving only a few wisps of lace. Nice caramel and malt nose with a hint of flowery hops. Quite prickly and reasonably heavy, particularly from the sweetness. Nice feel to it, even after the liquid fades. Strong chocolate flavors to start, with a bit of smokiness. Espresso flavors emerge later, particularly as it warms. That dry bite lingers well in the aftertaste, creating a lovely blend of chocolate and coffee. Nice.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer is a dark brown color with a short but thick tan head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: Strong roasted coffee & chocolate malt aroma, as the name implies, along with some smokiness and a little bit of hops.

T: The smoked flavor hits first, then the sweet, roasted mocha-coffee taste, followed by a bitter dark chocolate & hops combination. The smoky flavor is what sticks around in the after-taste. I definitely wasn’t expecting such complexity, which is a pleasant surprise.

M: Rich and very smooth, with medium carbonation, medium body and a clean finish. It doesn’t leave the sticky or oily film that some other beers in this style can.

D: It’s tasty, smooth and goes down easy. Normally I take my time drinking a beer as I review it, but I found myself down to the last sip well before I finished typing the review. I could certainly make short work of a sixer, too bad I just bought one bottle (which is the only downside to mixing a six-pack in those liquor stores that allow it). However, it does seem possible that as you move through a sixer, it may fill you up just a bit. An excellent beer from Rogue. In comparing it within the style, I liked it a bit more the Stone Smoked Porter and the others that I’ve tried. I don’t smoke, but I would image this beer would go well with a cigar too.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

The bottle i drank from was a similar label, but different. Almost a pitch black beer that pours with no head. On of the darkest beers i have ever seen. The theme starts off with a coffee color and continues in the same direction with the taste and smell. The smell is kind of like an iced coffee. I wanted to throw some cream and sugar in it. Taste is a coffee bitter, like a black coffee. Mouthfeel was good with an after taste just like coffee. This is a great porter. Glad Rogue is doing it like this.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a dark, dark brown into my pint glass. Looks black until held up to the light, where it is a barely translucent and very dark brown. At first I thought I could only see light through the edges of my glass, but my friend pointed out that I wasn't holding it at a good angle and that you could indeed see a small amount of light through the whole thing. I got a little over a two finger, tan head that left very heavy lacing throughout.

Smells like an excellent porter. Roasted flavors coming through with a hint of coffee at the end.

Taste is also roasted, with a coffee and chocolate finish. Excellent, excellent taste. This is the best porter I've had in quite some time. Definitely one to keep handy whenever possible.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

This is yet another Rogue beer that I enjoyed. The hops made the lighter mocha flavor more difficult to detect, but it still worked well. I'm glad the malt wasn't roasted any more, it seemed just right.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, purchased in a sixer at BevMo for about $8.

This is a damn good porter. Smell hits you right out of the bottle, even before pouring. Rich flavor with strong coffee and more subtle chocolate.

Slightly over carbonated, meaning taste is a bit delayed - let this one sit in your mouth for a few seconds before swallowing to savor the flavor.

Could have used a tad bit better head retention, but good lacing, and impressively thick body.

Overall a fantastic American porter - another outstanding ale from Rogue.

From notes.

Undated 12oz poured into a pint.

Damn near black with a tan head that is rather large and shows good retention for a porter. Nice lacing effect.

Smells of chocolate, good coffee, and mild hops. Has a slightly nutty aroma.

Tastes very smooth. Roasted malts andcaramel balanced with just the right amount of hop bitterness. Delicious!

Smooth, almost milky mouthfeel. I'm not much of a porter drinker, but I could session with this one for sure.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy the bottle art of this beer.

The appearance is black. Black like tar. Even while back lit this beer is still dark. It has a nice head that lasts... I poured my bottle into a glass and left it on my desk for 20 or so minutes and it still has a nice frothy 1/4 inch of head.

I really need to read more, and smell more, when it comes to identifying aromas. The smell is not overwhelming in any particular direction... I want to say it smells of mocha, but I don't even know what that means! Mocha is in the name so I want to say that's the smell... It's, I guess, a balanced aroma of coffee without any strong smell of hops (the Kudzu Porter from Back Forty smells strongly of hops in comparison).

Someone more experienced than I can probably describe the complexity of the taste. The strongest is, of course, the mocha flavor... hints of chocolate... I find it absolutely delicious. They need to barrel age this stuff in Jack Daniel's barrels so I can contrast it with another local barrel aged porter that I love.

The mouthfeel is kind of creamy... thickish... but with a somewhat refreshing dryness to it...

Overall I love this porter very much. I expected I would from what I'd heard/read about it. I couldn't get it as a single from the liquor store so I had to get a whole six pack and I have no doubt that I will drink them all... maybe even tonight...!

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

The beer pours a deep, dark brown, with some garnet hues when held to light. The head on this fella was huge. It was a better than two finger head of pillowy tan foam that subsides to a lingering cap of foam and nice show of lace that lasts throughout.
The aroma is full of coffee and some chocolate, and a distinct Rogue aroma. I can't pinpoint it exactly, I just know it's Rogue. Must be the Oregon water or something...
The taste of this porter is delicious. It's full of coffee, roast, and bitter chocolate as well as a moderate hop bitterness. The finish has some astringincy and hint of bitter chocolate near the end. The mouthfeel is moderate in feel and carbonation.
I keep this on stock in my house. It's one of my favorite go-to beers. A wonderful offering from John Maier and Rogue.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Ap. Very dark beer with a great tan head that lingers awhile. Nice lacing on the glass, too.
Sm. Toasted coffee/malt? and chocolate, too.
Ta. Very toasted/burnt coffe/malt. Smooth finish.
Mf. Very mellow and soft with a nice carbonation.
Dr. I am really sorry there was only one cold bottle in the fridge. Fabulous with a Harry and David's Dark Chocolate Truffle.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a bottle into a Schooner glass. Didn't see a best before date on the bottle.

A - dark brown, but not black. Slightly lighter than other porters with a bit of light actually passing through! Nice fluffy half inch head that hangs around and adds some nice lacing as I drink this beauty.

S - very slightly grass with big chocolate malt and caramel, and just a hint of coffee.

T - initially a little bitter with a bite resolving into a nice complex malt and coffee with just a bit of booziness.

M - nicely balanced between lightness and satisfying "weight" of a darker beer. Just a hint of bitterness at the back of the throat.

D - exceptionally drinkable, surprisingly so. Was expecting something heavier, but this goes down very well.

This is a great beer; heard good things about it, came with expectations and wasn't disappointed.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours with an enormous head. So large that I could not pour the entire 12 oz bottle into a pint glass in one pour. After waiting a few minutes for the head to dissipate, I finished the pour. The head retention on this beer is great as well. I enjoyed the rocky, dark tan head for several minutes, and it left a very thick lace on the glass and kept a fairly thick ring around the edge of the glass througout the entire beer. The body of the beer is dark brown. The aroma is of sweet chocolate and some coffee notes mixed with a hint of hops aroma. The taste is a kaleidescope of flavors that seemed to change with every sip. From bitter hops, to dark chocolate, to coffee, to roasted malt, then sweet chocolate. This beer had very complex flavors that were extremely enjoyable. The mouthfeel was good, but not a thick as I think the beer deserves, as a thicker mouthfeel may complement the wide array of flavors better. The drinkability is also fairly good. This is an enjoyable brew, even considering the over agressive head I experienced on the pour (which often times can be frustrating).

4.48/5  rDev +15.8%

Eye Candy: Thick, pillowy tan haed over ink black. Deep, dark, mysterious, and inviting.

The Nose Knows: Initial sweet fruit, touch of caramel, all chocolate, slight hop to clear the nose.

Tongueland: Slightly creamy, but just a tad thin. Slight sweet fruit, touch of rich cocoa, finishes bitter chocolate, burnt coffee, lingering hop aftertaste.

Bender: Somehow reminds me of Harveys Christmas Ale mixed with a rich Porter. Another one to add to the usual list.

4.48/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours black with a caramel head.

In the nose is sweet malt, bareley, coffee and chocolate.

Bitter coffee and chocolate balanced by the sweet malt - all rushes to the back of the mouth in a harmony of flavor. Some coffee notes linger in the front of the mouth - starts tasting thick and ends a little thin - a real nice mouthfeel, and considerably drinkable.

4.48/5  rDev +15.8%

A friend picked up a case to share at our friends going away party, a long with the many other cases that were brought. Out of all of them this was my favorite. For a porter it was hoppy up front, which at first I thought was just me, but then someone else said something out of the blue. Anyway the hops melded to roasted chocolaty malty goodness.

well anyway this beer wasnt spectacular but it was by no means bad, a nice beer for the cool summer night around the fire saying goodbye to a good friend. So what if i may be a little prejudice due to it

4.49/5  rDev +16%

This is a pitch-black beer with a burnt caramel hu at the edges. It has a thick, chocolate-milk head.

Bitterness from hops cascades over the palate and slides into roastiness, and then a mellow coffee tone with sweet chocolate only at the very end. Cane syrup and nut tones emerge with warmth. Aftertaste is sticky and slightly smokey.

The beautiful thing about this beer is how many simple, un-muddled flavors are stacked neatly on top of one another. It has sweetness and depth but still manages to forefront a great bitterness that doesn't rely on harsh roasted or acrid, or pushy, out-of-place hops.

4.49/5  rDev +16%

12oz. Bottle

A: Dark brown color with a little tan/brownish head. Light penetrates the beer only sightly on the edges.

S: Roasted malts with a very balanced characteristic. A little sweet with chocolate and with a small bit of hops at the end.

T: This beer is completely off the charts with the taste. Immediately your palette gets the roasted malt flavor with hints of chocolate and a little coffee. Smooth finish with slight bitter notes at the end.

This is an exceptional beer. The taste is what wow's me the most. Every aspect of it seem to be like a puzzle that's perfect in design and completion. One of the smoothest porters I've had the privilege of reviewing. GREAT BEER ROGUE BREWERY!!!

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Served in a standard 16 oz pint glass @ the Rogue Alehouse in San Francisco. Great representation of the style with a black body and tannish creamy head. The smell was dark cocoa beans and freshly gound coffee. The taste was just what the aroma advertised. Thick creamy mouthfeel and delicious coffee robustness dominated the aftertaste. Porters are my favorite and this one did not disappoint. Dead Guy Ale is one of the few Rogue beers I can get locally, but I'll be on the lookout for the Mocha Porter.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

A: Dark, like cowboy chicory. Poured into an Imperial pint glass, the head is slightly less than a finger, with the perfect amount of lacing.

S: Mocha, coffee, caramel, hops, brown sugar

T: Prairie sludge: in a good way. Strong coffee flavor, with just the right amounts of porter and chocolate.

M: Creamy but not filling. The acidity of coffee hangs out with your buds for a few. The hops are well balanced, as a porter should be.

O: Drink, drank, drunk... gonna stock this one in my cooler trunk!

My 4th Rogue brew. I usually enjoy this brand very much

A- Transparent brown on the edges and black in the middle. Great mocha colored head with much lacing.

S- Smell is of much chocolate and some coffee and molasses

T- Tastes like bitter coffee balanced with chocolate. Good taste if you like coffee.

M- Feels very smooth with a medium-light body and ample carbonation

D- Drinks great with a light enough body to pound back easily.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

A deep brown color with a light brown head. Two fingers of head yielded after it was poured into my 650ml Family Guy mug. Went from filmy foam to ring-o-foam at the end of the beer. The smell was a mix of hoppy coffee and baker's chocolate. Flavor was similar to the smell. With more of a bitter chocolate start, a smokey coffee middle, and a roasted mocha, vanilla, kona, hop finish.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Had this on cask at Fatheads last week. Poured black into a mug with a nice fluffy light-brown head. The smell of roasted malts hits the nose up front followed by the scent of coffee and hints of baker's chocolate. The taste follows the scent. A nice roasted malt backbone followed by the taste of coffee and bitter chocolate. A very smooth and solid brew. I'm very happy that I got to enjoy this as my first cask beer. I could drink it every day if Fatheads didn't rotate casks.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

In a word, Delicious! More "bodied-up" than the average porter, but not as dry as a stout. Pours a big brown head that stays the whole way (and I was "milking" this one as long as I could). Thoroughly enjoyable from the first sip to the last. I am going to hunt down more or order it from the Rogue website.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales