Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,341 | Hads: 2,754
4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a deep deep brownish black hue with a quickly diminishing head. Malty aroma and taste with chocolate and coffee, and caramel overtones. Finishes with a little bitterness to round off the maltiness. A very solid enjoyable beer. This is certain to be a staple in my fride this fall.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass
A - Dark brown with ruby tinges. Quickly diminishing 2 finger tan head. Thin lacing on glass.
S - Roasted malt, chocolate and coffee.
T - Toasty malt with more coffee than the smell would indicate; bittersweet chocolate. Slight floral and citrus on finish.
M - Medium with a somewhat crisp carbonation. Well balanced, doesn't linger like some porters.
D - One of my favorite American Porters. The ABV is @5%, so I'm having another!

4.51/5  rDev +16.5%

Dark, dark, dark brown almost black. Light doesn't penetrate the glass from the side, but I can get a little bit thought the edges. Nice fine tan colored head that hangs around for a few minutes with a decent amount of lacing.

Smells of malty dark chocolates. Tastes of intense bitter chocolate coffee. Very creamy, almost a coffee with cream flavor and feel. Silky, yet some effervescence keeps the tongue from falling asleep. Finishes with bitter chocolates in the back of the mouth. This is masterful and not at all what I expected.

Notes: My second sip, I came to the conclusion this would be great first thing in the morning instead of coffee.

this is a hearty brew for hearty foods. Not a great summer meal accompaniment. Something to be sip nice and slowly on a cold evening or better yet, a cold morning.

This one reminded me of my first Taddy Porter years ago. It was a great experience and one I thought I'd never relive. So for that I thank Rogue.

4.51/5  rDev +16.5%

From notes 10-3-08

Eye: Very dark brown in color, I'd say dark chocolate brown with some blood red/garnet highlights coming through when light makes it through this beer. Head has good formation and retention, a little over a finger's width. Color of the head is tan and texture is creamy. Lacing is pretty nice, leaving rings around the glass with some thin curtains between layers of rings.

Nose: Before the cap is even off, just after the seal is broken, I can smell sweet chocolate malty aromas. With the glass right up in my nose the chocolate aroma is prevalant. No coffee aromas here, no burnt aromas...really only that chocolate aroma....with a bit of time elapsed I am getting more dark malt aromas which give a deeper character to the chocolate aroma, mabe some dark fruits as well, just hints of plum or rasin, I can't tell which...hidden pretty damn good in the very back.

Tongue: My second impression of this one is lots of chocolate as the name implies; first impression is dark fruits, though I'm not sure which ones-definitely juicy though, right there on the front of the tongue. The chocolate flavor gives balance to the sweet fruitiness that hits right upfront. Some smokey flavor and definite bitterness of black malt. A slightly sour/tart impression upfront with the fruity tones give the beer an "authentic" English porter taste that melds and balances quite nicely with the big chocolate flavor that follows and is in turn followed by black malt bitterness. Maybe that fruitiness that accompanies the tartness is black cherry? At any rate I think that its the tartness that implies a dark fruit flavor. Not to say that its not there, but I think that the slight tartness is definitely implying a fruit flavor, causing my palate to perceive a dark fruit flavor that might not necessarily be in the beer, but is still tasted because it is implied by the tartness. Seems alot like modern logic if you ask me. At any rate this is a great porter.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Medium bodied in the mouth with small delicate and light carbonation that only compliments the beer. Finish is on the dry side which fits real nicely with the sharp bitterness of black malt. Kinda slick or oily on in the mouth....the beer itself is really smooth, velvety, like ribbons of slik toying round the tongue. This is a really nice porter, perfect for drinking on those cool autumn days. This is one I'll be adding to my "standards" list as far as porters go. Give it a whirl, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

4.52/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The aroma at first gives off lots of brown sugar with a prune-like fruitiness; there is also some caramel, bready malt, milk chocolate, and dark roast coffee. The head is dense and deep tan; the body is a very dark brown but garnet highlights come through against the light. The flavor includes roasted malt and dark coffee with some tart fruitiness; the bitterness is husky and resiny; there is an undertone of malt sweetness. The husky, bread crust-like finish lingers. The body is somewhat light with a sharp bite from the carbonation.

Smells great, but the flavor doesn't follow the nose very closely. It's still complex and intense with a resiny bitterness that provides an American hop character.

4.53/5  rDev +17.1%

S: Had this on cask in a 20oz nonik at the rogue ale house in san francisco, they even made me a beer float out of it, so good.

A: liquid black gold, great head, with good retention, amazing after all it was a cask, it looked soild black, and I barely let the light pass through the glass!!

S: I literally inhaled the head trying smelling this stuff, It was like crack, but better. the smell of your favorite coffee house hits your right away, a long with malty notes. there's some bittering hops notes as well but just barely though, just right amount.

T: oily, thick and rich. coffee flavors, area first on the palete, followed by the rich chocolate and roasted malt notes. It finishes up clean with nice bitter hoppy/black coffee notes in the after taste.

MF: very smooth and oily, since this was a cask, it lacked the really fizzy feeling of the regular draft, but it retained just the right amount for me, it was also perfect room temp. not to warm.

D: I could drink several a day, till I got sick of it. the only thing was after 3 you need to drink some water to rid your self of the acidic taste left over from the coffee. I don't drink coffee, but I love this stuff. If you happen to encounter either the draft or cask order it.

4.53/5  rDev +17.1%

The pour gave a tall, smooth head that stuck around for a long while. The color is dark and almost totally opaque; when held up to light a very dark brown shows through.

The smell is burnt toast with a bit of spiciness. The feel is thick and coating with a bit of carbonation. Initial flavor is roasted coffee (not surprising) with a strong bitterness. The aftertaste is surprisingly strong, bready and charcoal.

The flavor is strong enough that there is no taste of alcohol at any time. In some ways the flavor is overpowering, but it's not out-of-place or unexpected.

4.54/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

A: Dark Amber. Very Foamy. Retains head.

S: Chocolaty with a hint of something else. I can't really put my finger on it. A fruity kind of smell.

T: You can taste the coffee but it doesn't overpower you. It goes down surprisingly smooth for a chocolate tasting beer.

M: A light carbonation. Not too heavy. It hangs like syrup on the back of your tongue.

O: When I saw that this was a "Mocha" beer, my first thought was ehhh. I want my beer to taste like beer, not a cheap Starbucks latte. However, I was pleasantly surprised. It doesn't knock you over with the coffee taste. Very smooth. Great balance. Great beer.

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%

A: pours dark brown with a solid tan head. good retention, very even. Nice looking brew.

S: Big sweet malt on the nose. Toffee and caramel up front. Roasted barley and light chocolate notes towards the end.

T: Sweet chocolate. Beautifully balanced. Toffee and caramel reappear after the chocolate at the forefront. Excellent balance. Roasted barley and smokiness emerge as it warms to room temp.

M: Great mouthfeel on this beer. Not quite chewy, but substantial enough for what I'm expecting from a Rogue Porter.

D: Superb. Dangerously drinkable. I love this beer, and want to savor it, but I can't put it down...

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%

This beer poured a nice black color with a finger of head that fell to coat the beer. The nose was a nice full chocolate with slight roasted tones, a touch of sweet caramel as well. The flavor was chocolate upfront and in my face, moving to a well hopped coffee bitter finish. Very nice. The feel was thick and creamy, smooth and very drinkable. A very well built beer, with a really nice flavor. I enjoyed this beer a great deal.

4.62/5  rDev +19.4%

This is one of my favorite beers. You really couldn't do a much better job of capturing a mocha flavor in a beer. The taste and drinkablity are great. Smouth mouthfeel and it finishes pretty clean for the abundance of mocha taste. All in all a highly drinkable beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle.

A- Creamy, ivory, thick head. about two inches (though I gave it somewhat of a vicious pour). Very dark golden brown. Golden Ruby when held to the light. Heavy lacing.

S- Wonderful coffee, nutty smell.

T- This beer has a great taste. The traditional porter style is there but with a slight bitter coffee spin. Warm, fairly dry flavor. You have to really search for the sweetness but it's there toward the end.

M- Good feel. Creamy and smooth. Not too watery or thick.

D- very.

This is a great beer. I'm very pleased with it. The after taste is wonderful also, like banana bread or something nutty.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a 16 oz Pint glass

A-Deep dark color, a little purple when held up to a light, great brown/tan head. Not a lot of lacing.

S-Rich chocolate, coffee, maybe a hint of vanilla.

T-Roasted coffee, chocolate. Loved the almost iced coffee with cream flavors

M-Very smooth and creamy. Very easy beer to drink, wouldn't consider it session at all though.

D-I really enjoyed the Porter. I am a big fan of porters in general, and this one was really nice. I had sent my fiancee to the store to pick up a different beer, but this is the one she bought. I have been pleasantly surprised.

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint-sized pub glass.

Appearance: This is one of the best looking beers I've ever seen. It has a hazy, deep reddish-brown color; it's very nearly black. I had to look at it in sunlight to tell that it's not. The head is beautiful: light brown, with a thickness of one finger that lasts for a lnog time. Eventually you get a nice, even covering, and excellent lacing.

Smell: Dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, and coffee.

Taste: Dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, and coffee. The coffee hides behind the malts a good bit. There's basically no bitterness here. Damn, is this refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy but not quite as thick as I'd expect. Actually, it reminds me a lot of a Guinnness Stout (not Extra Stout, mind), but with a bit more body, and more (better) flavor.

Drinkability: I could drink this all day. Because it's not as thick as some similar beers, it's not extraordinarily filling, although still very hearty.

I'll be keeping this one around.

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle. Leaves a big two finger espresso foam colored head that has excellent retention, and it leaves excellent lacing. Body is black. Beautiful to behold.

Smell - the nose is filled with rich aromas of chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, and bitter pine resin. Mouthwatering.

Taste - exactly as promised by the smell. A big wash of bitter pine resin upfront, followed by rich flavors of chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt. Very delicious.

Mouthfeel - full bodied, and slightly semi-dry.

Drinkability - this is excellent ale, and it is totally sessionable.

4.64/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For my money, this is the richest, best porter I've had to date. Despite its sort of flat appearance, the mocha smell and taste is strong and that's just what I wanted. It's a little creamier than some other popular porters, which is something else I appreciate. Last time I visited the Rogue alehouse I had the Hazelnut Brown and followed it up with this - tasted exactly like a chilled hazelnut coffee. Lovely!

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer, nice coffee aroma, good head that gets thin but persist during the whole time leaving scant lacing.
Very good aggressive coffee flavor, some smokiness, the body is medium, overall it is a delicious nicely done beer.

4.65/5  rDev +20.2%

I can't say enough good things about this beer. I had it from a pint glass. The appearance was great. Nice and dark, with a solid mocha colored head. The taste was amazing. Every mouthful was full of flavor, and went down smooth. I could drink it all day...and have lol. Run out and get some today.

4.65/5  rDev +20.2%

This comes out of the tap an opaque sable with a thick, camel color finely-bubbled head. Strong aroma is like smoky coffee and has a firm tone of unsweetened chocolate and hints of molasses. Rich, satisfying flavor is like a mocha, fine roast coffee and chocolate, not sweet but not bitter either. Finish is smooth and sleek. Recommended to all porter and stout fans.

4.66/5  rDev +20.4%

A-very dark brown, almost black with a good amount of dark tan head. has some nice lacing as well.

S-smells like ground coffee but mostly malty. it has medium strength

T-it honestly tastes like dark roasted fresh ground coffee in liquid form. In and out it keeps this great taste. The after-taste is matching. Every part of this strong flavored and lacks any poor qualities. I don't care much for Rogue brews but I am honestly quite happy with this! this might be one of the best, full bodied porters that I've had.

M-this has a good creamy, medium carbonation with a fairly dry finish.

D-Well I'll definitely have this again and I'll definitely bring this up anytime porters are mentioned. I could drink this all night long. Well done Rogue!

4.67/5  rDev +20.7%

Ap: This beers color is a dark brown. I cannot see through it in my glass. It seems to pour out as thick as a stout. Medium sized head that turned into islands of lace.

Smell: Coffee and caramel notes with a hint of alcohol in the background.

Taste: Expresso and burnt chocolate malts with (again) a hint of alcohol in the background. Despite the mocha label this is not a sweet beer but one that tends toward the bitter side.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Lighter than a stout but heavier than your average porter. I would even classify this as an imperial porter.

Drinkability/Notes: Not a bad porter at all. One of the better one's out there as a matter of fact. This is not one to introduce to new Ba's but reserve it for the more mature beer drinker.

4.67/5  rDev +20.7%

Went to a semi-local pub and with about a fifteen beers on tap and I went for the Rogue handle. The current Rogue selection was the Mocha Porter.

The porter served up dark brown with a thin head and some lacings. The smell was sweet and chocolatey and malty. The taste was exceptional and satisfying ... delicious.

The mouthfeel was very smooth and creamy, and it and so easy to drink, that I ordered a second. This beer fills up the belly, and would be great as a main course in itself, or nice as a desert beer.

4.7/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber bottle. Dark brown body with ruby highlights. Huge, mountainous tan head. Coffee and chocolate with hint of hops hiding in back in an apt description of both the aroma and taste. Starts down smooth, but there is a hop tickle at the end, to be expected from Rogue. This is a great porter. I'll say good night and finish the bottle over a good book.

4.73/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

For those who like the taste of porter and the taste of mocha, this is the perfect marriage. Pours to a soft, creamy, golden head that doesn't last very long but that is not surprising for a black beer that has substantial body. All this capped off by just smidgen of hops (bitterness) in the aftertaste.

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

On my 4th of six of these beauties and they keep getting better. Pours a dark bubly midnight black color with a soft pillowly tan head. I could smell the roasted coffee and subtle chocolate aroamas from across the room ! Taste was very rich roasted coffee, sweet chocolate undertones.Very crisp finish, leaves you wanting another taste. Very well carbonated and fresh tasting. Smooooooooth and silky feel. A really refreshing and tasty beer. Another winner from Rogue. How do they: 1. Ship it so far, 2. Sell it so cheap, and 3. Make it taste so good ? I will never know.........

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales