Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,331 | Hads: 2,712
2.84/5  rDev -26.8%

Looks: pours a complete black with a fuzzy head about a finger in thickness that collapses quickly to a splotchy, filmy layer with a thick, sticky ring of accompanying foam. Some horizontal tracks of sticky lace grip the sides as the beer descends.

Smells: a little disappointing. More chocolatey than mocha-esque in aroma. Some ritz crackers and a tiny bit of espresso emerge after a search. There's not much to it at all.

Tastes: oddly, the flavors do a switcheroo from the nose -- now there's lots of coffee, but no chocolate. Maybe a tiny bit of bitter dark chocolate, but again, it's hardly noticeable.

Feels: unimpressive. Medium, fuzzy carbonation and a light, watery body. Meh.

Drinks: It goes down easily enough, but with a name like mocha porter, I'd expect both more mocha and more porter. Too light on flavor, body and aroma. Fail, Rogue. (857 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -26.8%

Reviewed 9/21/2008 (bottle):

Pours a black dark dark brown colored body, with a tannish colored head, smallish but lasting. Has a sweet malty aroma, with some sweet coffeeness Maybe some dark fruit too. But overall, not a strong aroma. Chocolate, coffee taste. Malty. (268 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -25.5%

A: [3.25] Dark black body. There is a 1/2 finger head of small to medium tan bubbles. The bottle does not list ABV or IBU. There is a date code on the bottom - but it means nothing to me.

S: [2.75] Wafts of mocha and some metallic scent.

T: [3.00] Bitter coffee - when it is cold. When it warms up - the taste mellows but there is a slight reduction in bitterness

M: [2.75] Lots of "buzz" on the tip of the tongue. The beer is creamy - but there is a tingle of carbonation.

O: [2.75] I wanted to like this. I like stouts and porters. I really like coffee flavored stouts and porters but I do not like this one. The nose has a metallic hint. The mouthfeel has too much carbonation. The flavor is a single note that isn't executed too well. I won't buy this again. I would drink this again - but there are lots of porters I would go for first. (857 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours nicely with a generous yellow tan head and black body, brown not red at the sides. Carbonation moderate, lacing plentiful.

First strong smell I get is chalky. Not sure why, but it's strong. Malty roast aroma, a hint of berry sweetness. Not overly complex, but pleasing.

Smooth in the mouth with a chaffy flavour and coffee aftertaste. A little sweet but nicely balanced. Not bad but doesn't stand out as a "mocha porter" - tastes like a decent homebrew stout. Mouthfeel is good though, not too heavy or slimy but not dry and quaffable either. I wouldn't have another of these though, because it's a bit boring - nice for a change but there isn't anything there that shocks you or really entices you to crack a second one. I'd follow this up with something zesty and tastebud-tickling, maybe a Hefeweizen or Wit.

Overall, decent, but could have been better. (865 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle from kjyost, cheers. From notes.

A - Poured black with red edges, two fingers of brown, filmy head. Spotty lace and a finger of retention.

S - Chocolate was strong upon intial opening but calmed and moved to a touch of coffee and some roasted notes with a cocoa element too.

T - And here's that classic weak porter element! Bad cocoa powder, dusty, chalky, cola, and roasted notes.

M - Mild carbonation, medium body with a decent bitterness.

O/D - Not overly drinkable with that chalky, powdery feel. I can't understand the hype for low strength porters and stouts when they so commonly taste like this. Sorry, just didn't like it. (643 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -25%

The appearance is typical, unfortunately somewhat lifeless,not much head,but a good lace. The smell is the worst of this beer,almost dirt -like or old soiled laundry..lol. The taste is much better and no after taste. The malt is a bit bitter or the mocha not sure which,and its a little dry. I apologize, my taste buds just are not high on porters. It reminds me of a dry dark wine. (382 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -25%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a deep brown color with a huge billowy tan colored head. The head has a great level of retention, slowly fading to leave a fantastic level of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is strongest of a roasted malt smell with some sweeter aromas of caramel and cola. Along with these smells are some notes of a dark chocolate smell as well as a bit of a coffee. Some grainy and grassy smells mingle with all the rest creating a somewhat odd blend of roasted, sweet and grass/grain.

Taste – The taste begins with a somewhat watery dark chocolate and roasted malt flavor with a sweetness of caramel and some vanilla. As the flavors advance the sweetness dwindles a bit with quite bitter and somewhat astringent flavors then hitting the tongue. Some bitter coffee begins developing in the middle of the taste, being accompanied by some grassy and hay like flavors. Along with these comes some light grainy flavors along with a flavor of char. While the caramel from the front fades toward the end, it is replaced by some cola like sweetness, where it mixed with the rest of the flavors to leave a rather off bitter, burnt coffee mocha flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is quite thin for a porter with a carbonation level that is on the slightly lower to average side. The thinner body is good for the porter nature of the beer, but the body is way too thin, with it rather incapable of supporting the darker flavors of the brew.

Overall – Nothing too great here. Way too thin and weak in flavors with it lacking much balance. Not one I will come back to. (1,688 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -24.5%

12 oz bottle pours a near-black color with a thick froth of tan head. Fades slow and leaves great lacing. If nothing else, Rogue usually masters the art of a good-looking beer.

Nose is roasty and cocoa with a surprising waft of smoke. Low on the fruit and has a decent amount of sweetness to it.

Taste is more muted than I expected, not quite sweet enough for me and lacks depth. Has some flashes of cocoa here and there, but nothing substantial to warrant the term 'Mocha'. Roastiness is decent, some coffee flavors come through. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and watery, seems a little one-dimensional with just a bit of dark malt really showing anything worthwhile. I am glad I finally found this as a single, I have been avoiding a full sixer for years due to the absurd price and my lack of love for the house Pacman yeast. That appears to have been wise, as this beer really does not do much for me. (901 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -24.2%

Presentation: 12oz. brown bottle; no "best by" or "bottled on" date; no ABV %; purchased as part of a ten beer "Winter Brew" (vel sim.) sampler pack for $14.99 from the Cost Plus on Westwood and Santa Monica.

Appearance: Completely opaque hue; thick, beautiful, cocoa-brown head; d-cup's worth of lace; fairly good head retention.

Aroma: Faintly of chocolate with hints of espresso and plum.

Taste: Assertive, disconcerting acidic twang upfront; thick, rolling, roasty bitterness in the finish; firm burnt grain flavor; faint, faint hint of residual sugars; medium bodied.

Notes: Disappointing; reminds me of bad coffee; found this to be simple, harsh and devoid of charm. (684 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -24.2%

Like a hella better Guinness Extra Stout

A: Looks great, guinness guinness guinna... you guessed it. Black with a brown hue to it. Translucent to say the least. Great head that dissipates through drinking and leaves a fine layer of lacing throughout.

S: Not much really. Far from being aromatic at all. Some hoppiness is noticeable but you might have a hard time guessing or believing it was a porter from the smell...that didnt really exist.

T: A bit weak. Smooth but weak. The coffee and chocolate flavors dont seep through until after it passes the back of the palate. The hops and what seems like roasted barley are the dominance here. But taking a weak approach to leadership they do. Nothing that hits the "o ya!" spot at all.

M: Maybe a little under carbed. Perfect for the style, extra stout all the way.

D: In all honesty, glad other patrons stole 2 from the 6 pack I was going to buy. Probably will be forcing my buddies to take it off my hands. Couldnt finish one.

O: Looking for a k(th)ick? This is probably not your go. But for its style, not too bad. (1,070 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -24%

Dark brown,almost black body with a brown head that fell pretty fast.Some lacing on the glass.

"Rogue" smell, I think its the pac man yeast.Some chocolate and coffee.

Chocolate taste ,pac man yeast.Dank taste on the top middle and sides of my tongue.I dont really taste the hops in this brew but the IBU is around 50.You can taste the malts in this one.

Sorda heavy on the carbonation but goes down smooth.

Does Rogue use there PMY in all there beers? It sure taste like it,I always wonder how these beers would taste if they never had that strain of yeast in them.I dont mind this beer but it wasnt the best porter ive had recently.I dont think I'll be coming back to this one. (690 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%

A: Dark brown with almost no head, very much like a cola.

S: Malt roastiness with coffee and chocolate notes.

T: Bold roasted coffee with a nice balance of bitterness and chocolate sweetness. I'd have liked there to have been more chocolate present.

M: Way too thin and carbonated for a "porter". Much like the appearance, this aspect reminds me more of a cola than a beer.

O: It tastes pretty good, I'll give it that. Hell, maybe I'll drink it again sometime just for that. I do wish it tasted more distinctly of mocha. It seems to lack the characteristics that I'd expect from a porter, though. It loses a lot of points on that. It should be thicker and less carbonated. (676 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

153 calories per bottle at 5.1% ABV. Strong taste that is too bitter for my taste. I could sense the slight kick of mocha which didn't quite stand-out over the bitterness of the porter to make it desirable for me. I would not consider buying this again not being a strong bitter beer fan though I'd think this would be about average in that category. (350 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%

Good dark colour and good lacing.

Don't get much out of this. Nose is green apple. Bit of that cardboard roast malt.

Taste is similarly nondescript. Perhaps a little bit of cidery coffee/chocolate.

Mouthfeel is thin. A little cidery.

Don't get much from this. Typical boring porter. No real chocolate character, despite the promises of the description. (356 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

Black as pitch, I expected Rogue's Mocha Porter to have a powerful smell and taste. The smell lacks. The mocha scent is there but it's more faint than I expected. The taste is a bit chalkier than expected too. It's almost more espresso than mocha. But it's not terrible. Generally smooth in the mouth, if a bit watery, at least more than I expected it to be. It's definitely drinkable, but nothing I'll rush out to get again. The overall theme of my review appears to be that my great expectations were not met. (511 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

When you pay as much as you do for Rogue, you expect exceptional quality, and I really didn't find that for this sample... an average, run-of-the-mill porter in all respects, appearance was the best thing about this beer, an opaque color with a slight tan head... smell was somewhat bland and wasn't too appealing... taste was average in all respects, some burnt coffee and mocha present, but too bland to warrant a great review... wouldn't purchase this one again, copped it singly in a 12 oz... Dead Guy Ale was awesome, but this one wasn't up to par... not recommended but worth a try... (590 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

Appearance: Almost perfect. It's black (or nearly black) with a delicious looking head that coats the sides of the glass with its frothy goodness.

Smell: Chocolate and more chocolate.

Taste: OK so the chocolate is definitely featured here but it's not what I expected. It seems a little subdued while some other aspects become more and more distracting. There is a burnt and somewhat metallic taste at first that turns into a bit of a smoky flavor by the end. Drastic improvements could be made with a few fixes.

Mouthfeel: Red flag! It's thin, watery, and just kind of icky on the tongue.

Drinkability: Well, despite what I've said, it's not a bad beer and I could surely drink a few. Though it wouldn't be my first choice.

Beef Notes: Mocha what? Is this really a porter? I guess after their Hazelnut and Chocolate Stout I might be expecting too much from this one, but I just know there's a better beer here somewhere. (936 characters)

12oz bottle poured into a Lakefront Brewery pint glass

Appearance- Jet black in color with a finger and a half of mocha head that dissipates into a thin layer and stays that way throughout.

Smell- Getting lots of chocolate with a pine hop thrown in.

Taste- Lots and lots of coffee with a very slight hint of unsweetened chocolate. A tart hophits the sides of your tounge on the front end and then the coffee swoops in for the finish.

Mouthfeel- Very very watery. Reminds me of a watered down iced black coffee.

Overall- Im not a fan. More coffee then mocha. No real sweetness for balance. Good for any black coffee lover. (626 characters)

Appearance: dark and well, non-descript.
Smell: kind of what I would expect in a mocha porter but watered down. Not bad, just not outstanding.
Taste: again, a watered down version of expectations.
Overall: grabbed a 6 hoping for something at least above average based on ratings and reviews. Frankly disappointed. Just not much happenin. (339 characters)

Ok. As a teacher who has a love for the Porters and Stouts, I would give this a solid passing grade.

Very thick and smooth. As far as taste, average.

Pours a dark to almost black. Small head with very thin lacing.

Rogue is a good brewery with good beers. However, since they have become so popular, thier prices have gone sky high.

Don't get me wrong, this is a wonderful Porter but is there better? YES.

12 oz bottle which pours a dark brown to black color. Thin to no head. Average taste with some slight coffee overtones. Complex in tast...No. Could I drink more than one...Yes.

However, 2 is max for one night. I would be scrapping the fuzz off of my tongue in the morning if more than this were consumed. (718 characters)

Had this on tap at the brewery and found it to be rather lacking in flavor. The beer had a pretty good carbonation which was apparent despite the fact that you could not see through the glass to the other side. Kind of surprised. Will try reviewing again at a later date. (274 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

Very dark in glass; big bubble medium tan head that stays.

Light, unassertive dark chocolate nose that is simple with no complexities or layers.

Pleasant, though weak, simple brewed coffee with dark chocolate flavors in a medium to thin body with little character and no complexities.

Lasting coffee/chocolate finish, although simple-the finish is perhaps the only redeeming quality in this one; light fresh hop character is integrated. Pleasant in the most simple of ways; a "refreshing" porter if such a thing exists. Very bitter chocolate all around character but a relatively thin, somewhat weak and watery effort.

Another disappointing effort from Rogue in my opinion. (678 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured into a becker glass. Coler near black with a light fluffy cinnnimon brown head. Smell is predmonitly cocco powder nothing really sticks out. Taste of coffee, cream and choclate malt, bitter hop background quickly comes and goes. All of which are subtle. mouthful very creamy i really think of this more of a cream stout not a porter. Highly drinkable brew but nothing really all that special about it. I don't know if id buy this again. Average cream stout in my opinion. (478 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

12 oz. bottle purchased on recommendation of the beer dude in local store.

Appearance was nice - I like the reddish tints in the dark, compact head that persisted until the end. Regular old pint glass.

Aroma was OK - a little coffee/chocolate/caramel, but I didn't think it much different or better than other beers in the category.

To me, the taste was a disappointment. There was no date of any kind on the bottle, so I don't know if it was fresh or had been in stock a while. The taste seemed pretty generic and reminded me mostly of Guiness. Got the coffee/toffee/chocolate flavors but I wouldn't say it was outstanding. Did not think it had the complexity and mouthfeel of the porters I have tried.

Good, not great IMHO. I'd drink it again, certainly not bad tasting or anything. But I wouldn't go out of my way to find it again. (838 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

I picked this up at the Pit Stop in Nelsonville, OH.

Appearance: dark, almost black with a 1/2" white head
Smell: nuts, coffee
Taste: seems a little watered down, a sweet coffee flavor, nutty
Mouthfeel: light to medium bodied
Drinkability: decent, didn't want another right away because the taste wasnt too impressive

I remember having this on-tap over the summer and it being a lot better; this is the first beer I've had from rogue that has not impressed me too much (478 characters)

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales