Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
2.64/5  rDev -31.6%

Perhaps not as "big" as i was expecting. Some light roasted malt and chocolate malt, with a fair hit of citrusy hops towards the finish, and perhaps some light smokyness, fairly pleasant, if a bit uncomplex, not really what i was expecting, but fairly tasty, i don't think the flavours quite blended either.

2.65/5  rDev -31.3%

The pour into my Fuller's nonic raises a one finger dark tan head that leaves slippery lacing. The head falls pretty fast to a thin glass ring over a very dark brown/ruby body. The nose is lightly roasted, with some bare hints of coffee and perhaps some citrusy hops. The taste is quite forward in its coffee/chocolate character, within some strong roast. Hoppiness hits early, but gives way to a lasting roasted bitterness. Finishes quite dry. Too roasted and bitter, in my opinion. The mouth is very thick, with smooth carbonation. I should have reviewed this the first time, almost two years ago. I won't be coming back.

2.7/5  rDev -30.1%

Appearance- Dark, rich and non transparent

Smell- Toasty, Really couldn't smell it.

Taste- Well the name fits the taste, "Mocha"

Mouthfeel- You can make out the carbonation in it.

Head- Two inches at end of pour, Lacing is straight

I think Rogue has a great product line and this one certainly has potential but it's not me. Good Avg.

By the way it looks as if they change the label on the bottle.

2.72/5  rDev -29.5%

I tried this a long time ago and remembered liking it. So I thought I would try it again. I love coffee, I love beer (esp. porters). What could go wrong?

Pours a beautiful, nearly opaque black with a 1" tan head that quickly disappears. The smell is glorious...lovely malts, chocolate, sweetbread(?).

Taste is another beast. Yes, there is sweet malt here, but its overwhelmed by bad flavors. Burnt coffee (not in a good way), burnt bisquits, burnt everything. I like porters, but something is really wrong here. There is a odd chemical astringent taste, and it's overwhelming. Halfway through I have to eat some saltines just to continue. Something is out of whack here.

The mouthfeel is actually good, a medium body with good carbonation. It improves slightly as it warms, but this is not the beer I remember. Rogue is a good brewery and one that I respect, so I can only assume that I simply got a bad batch. I'll have to review this again some other time.

2.73/5  rDev -29.3%

Serving Type: Standard 12 oz bottle

Appearance: Pours a lovely almost black beer where no light can shine through. A dark tan head that leaves to quickly and has almost no lacing

Smell: Maybe it's just this particular one that I have but I find that the smell is rather tame. Some Porters you can easily pick up the different traces spread throughout the beer but this one it takes a bit to get a good smell. I get a faint dark chocolate w/ roasted coffee.

Taste: Has a chocolate taste that is almost overpowered by the roasted coffee taste. A light molasses taste lingers throughout the end of the drink. The balance of the 3 flavours seems a little off as the beer is a bit bitter than what I expected from smelling it. The roasted coffee comes across really strong compared to the chocolate

Mouthfeel: Smooth yet a little thick. It lingers in the mouth w/ a dry feeling

Drinkability: A enjoyable dark porter that is a touch bitter but not altogether what I was expecting. The bitterness overshadows any expectations you may have from the name of the beer

2.76/5  rDev -28.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a regular glass.

A: Pours a very dark red color. The head is a very nice two finger mocha (ha!) shade with great texturing and excellent retention.

S: There's a coffee - albeit slightly stale - and hazelnut quality to the aroma in general, and even a little bit of licorice. The aroma could be stronger, and as a point of nitpicking, slightly less vegetal as well.

T:The flavor is more coffee forward in general, from the starting flavors all the way to the finish. Problem is, just like the aroma, it seems awfully stale and vegetal. The said quality kills the finish with excessive bitterness. The hoppiness and roast don't really get along, either. Can't say I enjoy this one too much.

M: Airy and bone dry; normally, this is a quality I enjoy in my dark beers, but not when it's so dry it comes off as watery. A thicker texture (not to mention a bit more residual sweetness) would really help this out, but it helps make an otherwise mediocre beer more drinkable.

O: This is way too thin, bitter, and vegetal for me to enjoy this in any significant capacity. Needless to say, I won't be repeating this one in the future.

2.78/5  rDev -28%

A: Poured a dark black color with lots of frothy white/tan head. Lots of lacing down the glass.
S: Smell is of chocolate and coffee with some hop spiciness at the end
T: Taste is the same as the smell, coffe and chocolate that was very bitter almost too bitter for me at the end. Actually pretty hard for me to drink all of this one. Didn't like the bitterness.
M: Mouthfeel is fairly watery and bitter
D: Not bad, but I'll go with many other Rogue brews before getting this one again.

2.78/5  rDev -28%

Appearance: This beer pours a deep dark brown that borders on black to the enter. There is only a slight light brown head that dissipates to a nice covering film.

Smell: This beer is a bit tight on the nose. It has a faint roasted aroma that hides behind some rich caramel and very slight chocolate notes.

Taste: This beer is forward with a roasted / burnt caramel flavor. It taste slightly of chard meat with, again, an extremely faint chocolate flavor to in the mid palette. The beer finishes with a slight bitter roast aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: This beer is rather medium light to light in body with a medium to medium high carbonation. This overall makes for a beer that seems a bit light for a porter.

Drinkability: The thin nature of this beer makes it easy to drink. I could quaff back quite a few of these with a meal as it tends to feel not overly heavy.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: For a porter I expect something with a more bold mouth feel and flavors. I was disappointed in the nose of this beer as well as its accompanying flavors. The light body, again, does not make this feel light a porter but instead more of a dark brown ale. I think the fact that this beer is dubbed a "Mocha" porter makes it even more disappointing due to the lack of chocolate flavors and aromas. I think this beer would pair nicely with spicy foods, but would not choose it as a stand alone beer to drink. Even with the food pairing at nearly $10.00 a six pack I would spend my money on other porters in the future.

2.78/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Nice dark brown colors with a finger and a half of slightly brown head. Can't even see through the beer, good

S - Roasty and chocolaty, but nothing special. Smell is a bit weak

T - No mocha at all, a weak porter (almost on par with the level of taste of Guinness) and far too much hop bite.

M - Average, nothing to write home about.

D - Not enjoying it, I was really looking forward to the style and I love dead guy and a lot of other Rogue stuff, but I was just flat unimpressed with this.

2.82/5  rDev -26.9%

From the bottle served in a snifter.

Appearance: black with a thin brown head

Smell: milk chocolate, coffee, cream

Taste/Mouthfeel: hop bite, spicy hops, very slight chocolate

I would have expected more chocolate out of something called "Mocha" Porter.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales