2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Mocha PorterMocha Porter

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001)
Ratings: 2,232 | Reviews: 1,302 | Show All Ratings:
jlindros

3.53/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a creamy thick large 1.5 finger head that fades at a med pace but leaves tons of lacing, very dark black beer.

Nose starts with a blend of coffee grinds and cocoa powder, little baker's chocolate, cocoa powder and hint dark chocolate like, light roast with some burnt coffee grinds, and some light smoked malt in there as well, and a hint of vanilla somehow.

Taste starts with the light smoke actually, a little smoked meat and campfire, which is not what I was expecting. Then dark malts, light roast and black malt char, little burnt coffee grinds, then into a very light powdered cocoa and charred chocolate somehow. Bitterness comes with acrid roast, and hint of bitter earthy hops. The middle seems like it's missing something too despite all those contrasting sharp flavors. Finish is drier but a long lingering earthy roasted malt and charred slightly burnt like flavor lingering, and a little smoke.

Mouth is med to a little fuller bodied, nice carb.

Overall meh... doesn't really go where it should, barely mocha, too much acrid burnt flavors, the smoke is out of left field and tastes like it, bitterness is more from the dark malts than hops which are also meh, beer just doesn't seem to come through. This seems to sum up Rogue pretty well lately IMO. They just seem to throw a bunch of ingredients together and hope for the best, and not only that but a hodgepodge of different things to try that shouldn't be like that. This is a mocha porter, it should have more chocolate, more coffee, no burnt or acrid flavors, no smoke (although a little would be OK if it blended well which this doesn't), too many sharp not so great flavors that don't blend well, eh.

03-10-2013 03:49:23 | More by jlindros
scratch69

Missouri

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Almost black in color with a fingers worth of light brown head. Thick amount of lacing.

Smell- Mellow aroma of roasted malt, chocolate, and some smokiness.

Taste- Starts off with a roasted malt and bitter hop flavor that fades into a bittersweet chocolate finish. Hints of smoke and caramel throughout.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and a tad watery. An average amount of carbonation with a dry finish.

Overall- A good porter with some well-balanced flavors. If the body wasn't so watery this would be great.

03-02-2013 01:46:41 | More by scratch69
Birtacus

3.64/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

The Rogue Mocha Porter is a quality brew for sure which I have come to expect from all things Rogue.

After the pour I was given about a quarter inch caramel head that dissipated quickly after it had settled. The quick dissipation gave me a a good idea of what the overall mouth feel would be like.

The aroma I thought was a little subtle but delicious regardless!

During my first taste I got a bold dark roasted coffee flavor that finished very smooth and didn't leave me with a tangy/bitter coffee after taste. I didn't get any of the mocha flavor that the name refers too but regardless I thought it was quite delicious and would go very well with breakfast.

The only "knock" that I had on the brew was its mouthfeel. I would have liked a heavier feel, to me I thought it was a bit watery for porter.

Overall an enjoyable beer from Rogue.

02-23-2013 17:26:43 | More by Birtacus
Hoptometrist

Oregon

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

Served on tap into a shaker glass

A- Poured a dark brown color with soapy mocha colored head that left minimal lace

S- Some smokiness, roasted malt, sweet breadiness and caramel. Pretty nice aroma, not all that strong though

T- Some smokiness, roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, breadiness, and caramel. Really balanced flavor profile, however there is a watery quality to this beer that mutes a lot of these flavors from being more bold

M- Lighter bodied, soft carbonation, and quite watery on the finish

O- Some really nice balances flavors, the hint of smokiness was quite nice. The mouthfeel and watery qualities of this beer bring it down for me though.

02-17-2013 05:33:49 | More by Hoptometrist
docnose

Alabama

4.46/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy the bottle art of this beer.

The appearance is black. Black like tar. Even while back lit this beer is still dark. It has a nice head that lasts... I poured my bottle into a glass and left it on my desk for 20 or so minutes and it still has a nice frothy 1/4 inch of head.

I really need to read more, and smell more, when it comes to identifying aromas. The smell is not overwhelming in any particular direction... I want to say it smells of mocha, but I don't even know what that means! Mocha is in the name so I want to say that's the smell... It's, I guess, a balanced aroma of coffee without any strong smell of hops (the Kudzu Porter from Back Forty smells strongly of hops in comparison).

Someone more experienced than I can probably describe the complexity of the taste. The strongest is, of course, the mocha flavor... hints of chocolate... I find it absolutely delicious. They need to barrel age this stuff in Jack Daniel's barrels so I can contrast it with another local barrel aged porter that I love.

The mouthfeel is kind of creamy... thickish... but with a somewhat refreshing dryness to it...

Overall I love this porter very much. I expected I would from what I'd heard/read about it. I couldn't get it as a single from the liquor store so I had to get a whole six pack and I have no doubt that I will drink them all... maybe even tonight...!

02-15-2013 05:21:30 | More by docnose
LuDookie

3.99/5  rDev +3.1%

I poured this from the bottle into a mug.

It looked great going in and had a good head, but it disappeared very quickly.

It smelled the part.

Upon first sip, I was a little disappointed. I picked up on a lot of carbonation and hardly any hint of mocha. I found it moderately bitter for a porter and not sweet at all, which is what I expected. However, I enjoyed it more as I drank it.

Could be a little creamier....I like a thick creamy beer.

Overall, it was a very good beer, and easy to finish, but if you really like porters but are looking for something a bit different, look elsewhere. This is just another good porter.

02-11-2013 00:25:10 | More by LuDookie
PhoenixShredds

3.86/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into Guinness Pub Pint glass.

A: Pours a thick, deep brown, near black. Under light it shows a hint of amber. Thin 1/2 finger head of mocha color which dissipates quickly.
S: Roasty with apparent coffee and chocolate character. Medium hops seem to add some earthiness.
T: Strong coffee-chocolate flavors, but also with a touch of oats-flavor. Med-hop bitterness balances the roasted malts and keeps it more complex.
M: Medium to full bodied with low-medium carbonation. It drinks fairly robust and a bit of a creamy tail.
O: A hearty porter with strong coffee and chocolate character. The Mocha in the name leads you expecting a bit more chocolate and sweetness, but still an enjoyable and robust beer. Plenty of roasted flavors were apparent, but the oat after-taste was a nice surprise and seemed to hint of unroasted malts, even if not actually present. I would drink this again, but not at the top of the list in this style.

02-06-2013 03:13:43 | More by PhoenixShredds
RWLawman

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Poured from a bottle into pint glass, yielding a jet black, milky-textured liquid with a generous head which dissipated to about a half-inch in thickness, and retained well throughout. Moderate lacing left behind.

S - Notable coffee grounds, bitter chocolate, and roasted malts along with a touch of alcohol. Smells delicious and inviting.

T - Chocolate nibs are immediately apparent, followed by roasted malts and bitter coffee notes. Also, a touch of dark fruit on the back, and the slightest hint of alcohol warming as it rolls down the back of your mouth and into your throat.

M - Velvety, with moderate thickness. Goes down smooth, with some creaminess as well. I was very impressed with the mouth feel on this one, especially since it was poured from a bottle. I would LOVE to try this out of a nitro-tap.

O - One of the finest porters I've ever had. I highly recommend this one. Like a previous reviewer said, "There are good porters, and great porters." This one is definitely ranked as a great. Can't say I'm surprised, as Rogue rarely disappoints.

01-31-2013 22:13:43 | More by RWLawman
scootpolute

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

Presentation: On tap @ the Isaquah Brewhouse (Rogue), Isaquah WA...into a cone pint...

Appearance: Very dark brown with a clinging tan lace that seems to stay for a while.

Smell: Mildly sweet in the nose with hints of charcoal, roasted malts and a touch of hops.

Taste: Silky smooth with a nice medium bodied mouth feel. After the luscious mouth feel come the flavour which is quite malty ... light acidic twang from the roasted malts, a little dark roasted coffee/chocolate flavour and an underlying toasted biscuit taste are balanced with a perfect combo of hop and roasted malt bitterness. The lingering after taste is of faded burnt sugar, drying grain and a slightly warming alcohol. A wonderful yet delicate hop character helps to round this brew also.

Notes: Yum! There are good porters and then there are great porters ... this one goes down as a great one, no doubt!

01-31-2013 00:18:04 | More by scootpolute
mfavoino

Washington

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass on 18 Jan 13.

A: Rich dark brown with a tiny head that dissipates to a rim around the glass.

S: Coffee aroma is pronounced along with a big dark roasted malt backbone.

T: Some chocolate sweetness, a subtle coffee flavor, and a burnt roasted malt flavors as it finishes dry.

A: Felt a bit thin to me, average carbonation, and easy drinking.

O: Straightforward porter from Rogue that is above average.

01-27-2013 21:52:15 | More by mfavoino
LampertLand

British Columbia (Canada)

3.86/5  rDev -0.3%

Rogue Ales 'Mocha Porter' @ 6.0% , with a April29/12 production date , a 650 ml bottle purchased for $7

A-pour is medium dark brown with some ruby hues along the glass edge when held up to the light , also a good size off white/tan head that is clinging to the pint glass after every sip

S-hops not mocha/chocolate dominate , so hoppy it smells like a cascadian dark ale

T-slight hop bitterness at the start , a very bitter dark choclate , similar in taste to cascadian dark ale

MF-seems to be medium to high carbonation , medium body , pleasant enough on the palate if you know Rogue Ales

Ov-a bittersweet balance of malt and hops , key word bittersweet , not a true Porter more like a CDA

prost LampertLand

01-25-2013 05:51:27 | More by LampertLand
thecheapies

3.89/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12oz bottle with no freshness info poured straight down into a Guinness nonic.

Extremely dark brown, where it almost looks black, but I can see light through the bottom of the glass. A dark caramel-like glow shows through. The head was huge from the pour, some three inches or more. Tons of sticky lacing and rockiness of the head as it slowly fell. Looks damn lovely.

Roasty and lightly creamy in the nose. Picking up some of those dark mocha notes. Mostly black coffee. Light cocoa powder dustiness. Earthy aromas rise up into the nostrils along with some mild hop presence. A little milder than I would have liked, but still an agreeable aroma.

Dark roastiness with mocha and cocoa flavors that dry up the palate. Almost puckering with a solid bitterness aided by pithy hops that feature nuances of pine. Earthiness is here, too, following the nose. Represented by ashy malt char, soil minerality, and a distant medicinal quality. The finish is a bit long with lingering hop bitterness and dry burnt notes. The burps taste pretty good.

Medium-bodied with some decently lively carbonation. Drinks with good speed, and the beer is at session strength, so that's a big positive. Feels pretty good, if not just a tad too gassy.

A nice American Porter. It's good to know that I can turn to this, and more often. Not gushing with the mocha notes, as you'd might expect from the name, but still solid.

01-23-2013 00:50:55 | More by thecheapies
Uncle_Jimmy

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance- Opaque Black with a thin half finger of foam on top. Doesn't Linger

Aroma- roasty, chocolate grain, slight banana, earthy. I dont get hardly any coffee in the nose. As it warms I get more of a grassy hoppy aroma (not floral)

Taste- deep roast grain at the beginning some smooth chocolate and a slight coffee flavor in the middle with a sharper hoppy finish. I am not sure if this contains actual coffee. The hops are resin-y not unlike an Irish stout,

Mouth- it is silky smooth but also dry in the finish, I want this to have a fuller mouth feel, maybe lactose sugar, but that may take it out of the porter and make it more of a stout.

Overall- I like this beer because I think it is accomplishing a lot with just the grain. I don't know if it contains actual chocolate or coffee but The Term "Mocha" implies those two flavors, if not those ingredients. I like that attention is payed to the hops and keeps it all in balance. I would have this again.

01-14-2013 06:27:15 | More by Uncle_Jimmy
Bitter_Echo

Not really much of a porter drinker, but this one has me reconsidering my priorities. Really good. Pours dark like it should and really doesn't smell much of anything either. For the taste, the balance is terrific. Mouthfeel is good too. Like I said, for an IPA drinker, this one is better than just ok. A win.

01-10-2013 01:17:28 | More by Bitter_Echo
KingSlayer

355ml bottle served in a pint tumbler

poured dark brown almost jet black liquid, untranslucent, 3 finger tan head medium retention awesome lacing
nose composed of dark roasted malts, burnt caramel, dash of vainilla and soy beans.
palate composed of roasted dark chocolate bitter coffee maltyness, semi dry, nice hop balance, bitter coffee aftertaste.
medium silky body nice carbonation.
almost stoutlike, semi dry, bitter dry quick finish.
i liked it, will have again.

01-08-2013 06:05:34 | More by KingSlayer
patpbr

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours black with a head that dissipates but doesn't disappear. The smell is roast and coffee but not very strong. Taste of mild chocolate and coffee, dry fruit. Creamy with a mild bitterness. Thin feel, its smooth and easy to drink just to watery. Taste was similar to dropping a few ice cubes in a cup of coffee. A fine porter i just like mine more robust.

01-03-2013 03:26:56 | More by patpbr
Dodo2step

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

P- Thanks to my buddy Matt for this brew.

A- dark black and opaque and a frothy tan head that has a2 finger lacing on my pint.

S- choclolate and arak fruity esters with hints of sweet cream and espresso coffee.

T- Chocolate hits the palate in the forefront but then it tapers down to coffee and those dark fruity esters of grain. Very nice.

M- smoothest porter i have ever had. Very flavorful in the mouth. Not chewy but creamy enough. very well done

O- This is by far the best porter i have ever tasted and drank. I am not one for porters but i would have this beer again in an instant.

12-22-2012 20:34:27 | More by Dodo2step
bambam2517

Arizona

4.28/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22 0z. Bomber poured into a pint glass at 45F.

A - Dark and opaque ink-black. Very little froth and it dissipates into nothing rather quickly.

S - Just as advertised. Strong espresso dominates, with sweet cream and chocolate in the background.

T - Overwhelmingly dark roasted coffee, some background dark fruit esters and a milder chocolate finish than I expected. Missing the sweetness also.

M - Its watery, kind of like drinking coffee again but it's less astringent. Just so-so for me.

O - I like this one, but I will admit that I also really enjoy my coffee several times a day. If those arent flavors one enjoys, this would be a bit disappointing from a porter standpoint.

Having now had both the Mocha Porter and the Chocolate Stout from Rogue, I prefer the Stout. It's a little sweeter which goes better with the flavors evoked.

12-18-2012 06:36:55 | More by bambam2517
Dave1999

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured pure black with a foamy tan coloured head.

The smell is sweet malts and roasted coffee.

The taste of this is very strong mocha coffee, chile, sweet malts and some bitterness.

This beer is full bodied, slightly creamy and with medium carbonation.

I really like this, would be good for a desert, certainly pack a punch in the flavour department. One is probably enough though.

12-17-2012 22:27:23 | More by Dave1999
BrownAleMale

Wisconsin

2.95/5  rDev -23.8%

12oz bottle poured into a Lakefront Brewery pint glass

Appearance- Jet black in color with a finger and a half of mocha head that dissipates into a thin layer and stays that way throughout.

Smell- Getting lots of chocolate with a pine hop thrown in.

Taste- Lots and lots of coffee with a very slight hint of unsweetened chocolate. A tart hophits the sides of your tounge on the front end and then the coffee swoops in for the finish.

Mouthfeel- Very very watery. Reminds me of a watered down iced black coffee.

Overall- Im not a fan. More coffee then mocha. No real sweetness for balance. Good for any black coffee lover.

12-15-2012 07:45:19 | More by BrownAleMale
Braz

Washington

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

Dark pitch black color with a frothy head.

Very roasty aromatics with coffee ground scents.

Burnt coffee flavor is prominent, maybe a touch a dark chocolate as well. Fair amount of bitterness. Full body with a thick texture. Average carbonation with a long and bitter coffee aftertast.

This beer is exactly as the name says. Good one.

12-07-2012 00:45:04 | More by Braz
secondtooth

Indiana

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep, dark brown (nearly black), with subtle ruby highlights. Average head, and minimal lace.

Nose is a little roasty. I get a hint of mocha, but it's not strong at all.

Taste is deeply roasty, with hints of dark chocolate, coffee, burnt fruit. This is a rich porter, definitely with a heavy character, and the mocha tones come out better as it warms a bit. Still, not a favorite of mine, and not one I'd care to try again.

11-22-2012 01:39:17 | More by secondtooth
brother_rat

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

A: Pours out a frothy, dirty tan head with the color and pitting of bubbling caramel. The beer is very dark, an opaque black, with only a faint redness at the ends of the glass when held up to a lamp. Deep and dark. The head fades quickly, after a few minutes, with very minimal lacing. 3.5/5

S: Pours tart, with dry, salty, smoky notes. Very pronounced sweet malts, minimal hops. 4/5

T: A very delicious balance, with many flavors poking out with each sip: tannins, chocolate, smoky hints, shaved wood, espresso, charcoal, and unripe fruit, etc. Hops in the background, well balanced. Finishes dry, with a mouthwatering creaminess. 4.5/5

M: Very drinkable, with a meaty, thick taste up front, which I love in a good porter, and yet it finishes dry and yet with a touch of lactose. Medium carbonation. 4/5

O: Not sure if there's lactose in this, or if it just tastes like there is; in any event, this is a fabulous porter: drinkable, dark and tannic but balanced and complex. The coffee/chocolate flavor is there but not slapping you in the face. I've had this many times (bottle & draught) and it's delicious by itself or paired. Tons of flavors that release as it warms up. 4.5/5

11-21-2012 04:58:28 | More by brother_rat
jazzyjeff13

United Kingdom (England)

3.25/5  rDev -16%

A 12oz bottle with no visible BB date. Picked up a while back from Great Grog in Edinburgh.

Poured into a Delirium chalice. A dark ruby-brown hue. Yields a large head of creamy tan foam that hangs around for a few minutes before reducing to a thin surface layer. Aroma of dark roasted malt with notes of chocolate, mild coffee, burnt grain, hints of dried fruit and earthy yeast. A whiff of sweetness. Surprisingly subtle - I was expecting a more in-your-face olfactory experience.

Tastes of dark malt with a burnt, roasted character and a dry finish. The flavour seems muted. Mild notes of coffee, chocolate, burnt grain, a hint of molasses, faint dried fruit and earthy yeast. Slightly sweet, with a twinge of acidity in the background. A restrained, dry bitterness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth, dry, tingly and a little oily. Body seems rather thin and insubstantial for the style. Somewhat astringent, with an aftertaste of bitter roasted grain and hints of chocolate.

Hmmm - I'm left unimpressed by this one. It certainly has hints of mocha and chocolate, but both aroma and flavour seem deadened and lacklustre. I was hoping for more intensity - perhaps this bottle is simply too old (hard to tell with the lack of dating). The body also leaves something to be desired; it's too watery. An OK beer that goes down easily enough, but nothing special. No need to seek it out.

11-18-2012 23:47:21 | More by jazzyjeff13
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

2.73/5  rDev -29.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a regular glass.

A: Pours a very dark red color. The head is a very nice two finger mocha (ha!) shade with great texturing and excellent retention.

S: There's a coffee - albeit slightly stale - and hazelnut quality to the aroma in general, and even a little bit of licorice. The aroma could be stronger, and as a point of nitpicking, slightly less vegetal as well.

T:The flavor is more coffee forward in general, from the starting flavors all the way to the finish. Problem is, just like the aroma, it seems awfully stale and vegetal. The said quality kills the finish with excessive bitterness. The hoppiness and roast don't really get along, either. Can't say I enjoy this one too much.

M: Airy and bone dry; normally, this is a quality I enjoy in my dark beers, but not when it's so dry it comes off as watery. A thicker texture (not to mention a bit more residual sweetness) would really help this out, but it helps make an otherwise mediocre beer more drinkable.

O: This is way too thin, bitter, and vegetal for me to enjoy this in any significant capacity. Needless to say, I won't be repeating this one in the future.

10-31-2012 22:29:35 | More by ThisWangsChung