Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Mocha PorterMocha Porter

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,336 | Hads: 2,721
4.45/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark, dark black, held it up to the light and there was not a hint of brown to be seen, just how I like it. Had a thick head to begin with but it faded after the first two sips and eft a bit of a lace on the glass.

The small was malty with a hint of coffee and chocolate, the taste was much the same, malty smooth with chocolate and coffee, however not too sweet.

Very drinkable. Took a sixer to my friend's superbowl party today and other's shyed away from this dark wonder, more for me! Now at the top of my porter's list. (540 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: Creamy beige head that quickly dissipates. The body is dark brown-black.

Smell: Centennial hops is the only first impression. Looking beyond them there are dark roasted malts and some coffeish notes. Mocha? Not really.

Taste: Hoppy, coffeish, and even a bit of chocolate, in that order. Slightly burnt flavor from dark roasted malts that is spurred on by the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation.

I bought a six-pack of this to try. At first I was a little disappointed in the, perhaps excessive, use of Cascade-like Centennial hops. They are too prominent and aromatic for the style in my taste and they are too readily available in the nose to allow any mocha aroma to come through (if there is any in there). As I've worked through the sixer I've learned to appriciate it for what it is though. Great accompaniment to a dessert such as an almond cake. (893 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

This is yet another Rogue beer that I enjoyed. The hops made the lighter mocha flavor more difficult to detect, but it still worked well. I'm glad the malt wasn't roasted any more, it seemed just right. (202 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

This Rogue is a beauty on the pour with a midnight black coffee body and delicate head that dissipates quickly, soon looking like froth on the top of an ice cream soda. A roasted malt smell predominates. The porter is full bodied with some hoppy bitterness. The finish has a strong french roast coffee flavor. I'm somewhat disappointed in getting almost no chocolate flavor - mocha is a misnomer with the lack of chocolate. I'm not complaining - thoroughly enjoyed the taste. Mouth feel is good but wouldn't want another to follow. (531 characters)

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Overall I thought that it would have had more coffee and chocolate flavors to this one, but definitely a beer I could drink more often. I've had better porters, but this one is up there.

Only the second rogue beer I have tried; the other being a dead guy ale. I am not very impressed but like I said could drink more than just one. It doesn't leave a very strong taste on the palette which is kind of disappointing. (416 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a 16 oz Pint glass

A-Deep dark color, a little purple when held up to a light, great brown/tan head. Not a lot of lacing.

S-Rich chocolate, coffee, maybe a hint of vanilla.

T-Roasted coffee, chocolate. Loved the almost iced coffee with cream flavors

M-Very smooth and creamy. Very easy beer to drink, wouldn't consider it session at all though.

D-I really enjoyed the Porter. I am a big fan of porters in general, and this one was really nice. I had sent my fiancee to the store to pick up a different beer, but this is the one she bought. I have been pleasantly surprised. (590 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +16.8%

The pour gave a tall, smooth head that stuck around for a long while. The color is dark and almost totally opaque; when held up to light a very dark brown shows through.

The smell is burnt toast with a bit of spiciness. The feel is thick and coating with a bit of carbonation. Initial flavor is roasted coffee (not surprising) with a strong bitterness. The aftertaste is surprisingly strong, bready and charcoal.

The flavor is strong enough that there is no taste of alcohol at any time. In some ways the flavor is overpowering, but it's not out-of-place or unexpected. (571 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +10.1%

Ah, Rouge!

From the bottle, poured into a pint glass the dark brown/near black American Porter pours rich and tops off with a nice head of light brown. As it reclines around the edges it leaves a delicate lace. The head stays billowed in the pillowed in the middle and just begs of mocha goodness!

What a lovely marriage of hops and mocha. Your nose wont have to look too hard for dark chocolate, full bodied coffee and hops.

As formidable in the nose, it is in the mouth (that's what she said). Fantastic mocha porter with just the right wash of bitterness you might expect.

Not a bad way to end a work day! (615 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +13.9%

Another fine Rogue brew. 1/2 finger of head that quickly dissipates. Spotty tan colored lacng down the sides of the tulip glass. Presents itself a very dark brown color with medium to slightly high carbonation. Nice malty beginning, then the hops biterness shows, ending with a creamy aftertaste.Felt good in the mouth, but a little too carbonated. I could finish off a sixer of these boys while reading a good book in front of the winter fire. (444 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

I got home, poured the sucker into my pint glass (no tilt) and watched a formidable, thick head form. The top bits of the head seemed to fall off quickly, but the areas around the reservoir of beer remained thick and had that nitrogen infused quality with the dark striations cascading through the head all to return to the beer.

I brought the glass to my nose and immediately got some caramel, coffee, hint of chocolate and maltish tones that were reminiscent of a strange sherry.

The coloring is very opaque. I can only make out color by tipping the glass and observing a thin pool of the beer. The color is a wonderful, rich "burnt root beer" bark. A bit too red to say it equals a rich coffee brown. There were minute chalky particles floating around in my glass.

The first taste is rather inviting as you are greeted by a lively effervescence. Not seltzer carbonation here... dense, quickly expiring yet boisterous bubbles. The taste is rich and sweet. The aftertaste is tactfully bitter. The bitter moment is enjoyable and doesn't overstay its welcome.

I really did like this porter, but feel that it is definitely a "treat" type. Not because of price or ease of locating it, but because its a bit sweet and made me feel like I just pigged out an a quarter pound of Cadbury's Fruit and Nut. (1,312 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

A-Dark ruby with a small head with some nice lacing.

S-Coffee, chocolate and roasted malts.

T-Sweeter than I thought it would be, tastes like roasted coffee, very nice.

M-Nice full bodied beer, taste kinda lingers on the tongue.

D-A great tasting porter, I will definately have another one of these. (303 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured a dark brown with a substatial tan head of foam.

Smell is sweet milk chocolate, Coffee, malt, vanilla. Very pleasant.

Taste, the chocolate is upfront but more subdued than on the smell. Well rounded across the entire pallet. Vanilla, oak, coffee.

Mouthfeelis substantial with a nice carbonation.

Overall a very nice porter. Balanced with subdued hops. Chocolate winds it's way through in just the right amount. Very tasty. (434 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium globe.
After a vigorous pour, it produced a really nice two finger head, but it didn't hang around for more than a few minutes. Very dark brown, near black. When I hold it up to light there is some slight dark amber coloring at the edges. There is no lacing to speak of.
Smell is definitely coffee forward, with some rich, roasty maltiness and maybe a hint of dark, bitter chocolate.
Taste is very coffee forward. Starts of with a strong coffee flavor, and quickly turns to a slightly bitter, roast maltiness. Mouth feel is fairly thin, but I think it really works well for this one.
Overall, an excellent porter, one of the best I've had. The coffee notes really work great. I will definitely be having this again. Thought it went great with Apple Pie! (797 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

I had my first taste of this beer on a cold day in Nov. Nice thick head after pour. Although not very carbonated. Nice dark color with a nice hint of chocolate and coffee and malty goodness. Very Good beer.

Thankfully in the privacy of my on home I don't have to worry about this being switched with a Pit Bull. (312 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Whole foods has massive amounts of beer...yeah! I bought this because of the curiosity factor of "mocha". I like the StarB's mocha fraps so I figured...why not.

A- Good solid porter look to it. Dark brown with tan head.

S- the smell isn't as aromatic as I thought it would be given it is a porter. It did have a nice roasted smell though.

T- Good taste. I can get the mocha out of it and the subtle bitterness was a plus. Not exceptional, but way above average.

M- A little carbonation mixed with creaminess. Could use more creaminess.

D- Good beer. 5.3% abv gets the most out of it.

Good beer..can't wait to try other Rogue stuff (638 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

What you have here its a nice porter but I was waiting for a more tastier brew.

Used my Sams pint glass, and it poured a very dark brown brew with a brownish medium crown. Full body, nice carbonation. Roasted dark coffe along with dark chocolate with some hints of darkend malts, no alcohol perceived. The chocolate lingers on from the first sip until the coffe its percieved closely towards the end. A coffe ruled aftertaste thats somewhat dry. (446 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

appearance: dark brown with a slow-fading light tan head

smell: coffee, chocolate, very hoppy

taste: bitter coffee, hoppy porter, hints of chocolate. pretty much like is smells.

mouthfeel: medium body with good carbonation.

drinkability: maybe a little bitter for some, but great if you like hour-old gas station coffee, which many do. it's good, but other rogues are better. (379 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance = Very dark brown, almost black, with a little dark red showing on the edges of the glass. One finger of light tan head that goes down to a thin lace. Some lacing sticks to the sides of the glass.

Smell = Nice sweet malt smell, with chocolate and maybe dark cherries.

Taste = Noticeable oily hops, a bitter coffee finish, and less malty sweetness than the smell would indicate. There's a slight dark chocolate flavor in there. Some floral and grassy notes are found in the background.

Mouthfeel = Fairly smooth. Medium body with a medium-to-low level of carbonation. A little dry in the finish. A bit of hoppy bitterness coats, and stays in, the mouth.

Drinkability = It's a good beer, but not one that I'd go out of my way to get. For my personal taste, I didn't like the way the hoppy bitterness coats the mouth and I was hoping for a bit more sweetness for better balance. (931 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This is mocha fudge in a glass. Such a nice, sweet porter. So well balanced with just a dash of hoppiness to give it a nice edge, but the aftertaste is a smooth coffee and cream with dark chocolate fudge at the back of the tongue. The brew is dark, and the head is a dark tan.

I'll be drinking this again. and again. (318 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -3.9%

The appearance is quite beautiful, pitch black with a tan head. Like others have said I was also surprised by the aroma and taste. The aroma is hoppy and toasty. The taste hoppy, burnt, and heavy. The mouth feel is great, thick and full. It finishes with a slight burnt orange. (277 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +10.1%

It has an average porter appearance and head. I have seen darker porters, but I was very impressed by this one.

I was very pleased by the light coffee and chocolate notes on the first sip with a very good finish. It is a nice beer to finish a long meal. I have yet to be disappointed by this brewery. (305 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in my stolen cigar city snifter from a 12oz bottle. Looks pretty good, blackish dark brown with tan head that settles leaving small ring of bubbles around the sides of the glass. No lacing to be seen but thats ok. From opening this bottle i cought whiffs of chocolate milk and toffee. Once poured the coffee and dark chocolate seem more apparent. Taste is good, malty and semi sweet with toffee and coffee notes. Doesnt sit on the palate too long which could be good or bad depending on personal style preference. Doesnt leave a bad after taste or linger on flavor, a decent trade off i suppose. Honestly i could kick back with in front of the fish tank reading a magazine and drink this all night, its easy on the drinkability side. (740 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

Another tasty offering from Rogue. Deep dark brown, almost black, light brown head. Lots of coffee and chocolate in the nose. Taste is bitter coffee notes with hints of chocolate and slight hop bitterness. Smooth in the mouth and finishes dry and bitter. Very easy to drink several in one session and at 5.3% it won't hurt you much at all. (339 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured into my test mug

A- Dark brown, almost black. Very little light gets through. Fluffy tan head, disappears fairly quickly. Looks very inviting.

S- Smells like coffee, smoky malts, and a hint of chocolate. This is one I love to stick my nose in.

T- Taste follows the smell closely. Lots of coffee and a smoky/burnt taste. There is a hint of bitter chocolate in there too. Finishes with a taste of hops and a slight bitter aftertaste, just enough to balance the other flavors.

M- Very smooth, carbonation was a bit above medium. It felt just right for this beer.

D- This one didn't stay in the mug long. I would love to put a few of these away, and at 5.3% abv, it wouldn't knock me over. I'll definitely have to explore porters some more. (748 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -19.8%

A dark brown not much light got through, light brow two finger head not much retention

S everything was kindof week faint coffee and dark malts

T enjoyable but lacking in a way i think i just like my beers overly flavorfull this was on the mellow side

M thin but creamy

D good might try it again but for now there are others i like more (342 characters)

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales