Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,337 | Hads: 2,737
3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

I got home, poured the sucker into my pint glass (no tilt) and watched a formidable, thick head form. The top bits of the head seemed to fall off quickly, but the areas around the reservoir of beer remained thick and had that nitrogen infused quality with the dark striations cascading through the head all to return to the beer.

I brought the glass to my nose and immediately got some caramel, coffee, hint of chocolate and maltish tones that were reminiscent of a strange sherry.

The coloring is very opaque. I can only make out color by tipping the glass and observing a thin pool of the beer. The color is a wonderful, rich "burnt root beer" bark. A bit too red to say it equals a rich coffee brown. There were minute chalky particles floating around in my glass.

The first taste is rather inviting as you are greeted by a lively effervescence. Not seltzer carbonation here... dense, quickly expiring yet boisterous bubbles. The taste is rich and sweet. The aftertaste is tactfully bitter. The bitter moment is enjoyable and doesn't overstay its welcome.

I really did like this porter, but feel that it is definitely a "treat" type. Not because of price or ease of locating it, but because its a bit sweet and made me feel like I just pigged out an a quarter pound of Cadbury's Fruit and Nut.

4.22/5  rDev +9%

A-Dark ruby with a small head with some nice lacing.

S-Coffee, chocolate and roasted malts.

T-Sweeter than I thought it would be, tastes like roasted coffee, very nice.

M-Nice full bodied beer, taste kinda lingers on the tongue.

D-A great tasting porter, I will definately have another one of these.

4.16/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured a dark brown with a substatial tan head of foam.

Smell is sweet milk chocolate, Coffee, malt, vanilla. Very pleasant.

Taste, the chocolate is upfront but more subdued than on the smell. Well rounded across the entire pallet. Vanilla, oak, coffee.

Mouthfeelis substantial with a nice carbonation.

Overall a very nice porter. Balanced with subdued hops. Chocolate winds it's way through in just the right amount. Very tasty.

4.36/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium globe.
After a vigorous pour, it produced a really nice two finger head, but it didn't hang around for more than a few minutes. Very dark brown, near black. When I hold it up to light there is some slight dark amber coloring at the edges. There is no lacing to speak of.
Smell is definitely coffee forward, with some rich, roasty maltiness and maybe a hint of dark, bitter chocolate.
Taste is very coffee forward. Starts of with a strong coffee flavor, and quickly turns to a slightly bitter, roast maltiness. Mouth feel is fairly thin, but I think it really works well for this one.
Overall, an excellent porter, one of the best I've had. The coffee notes really work great. I will definitely be having this again. Thought it went great with Apple Pie!

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

I had my first taste of this beer on a cold day in Nov. Nice thick head after pour. Although not very carbonated. Nice dark color with a nice hint of chocolate and coffee and malty goodness. Very Good beer.

Thankfully in the privacy of my on home I don't have to worry about this being switched with a Pit Bull.

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Whole foods has massive amounts of beer...yeah! I bought this because of the curiosity factor of "mocha". I like the StarB's mocha fraps so I figured...why not.

A- Good solid porter look to it. Dark brown with tan head.

S- the smell isn't as aromatic as I thought it would be given it is a porter. It did have a nice roasted smell though.

T- Good taste. I can get the mocha out of it and the subtle bitterness was a plus. Not exceptional, but way above average.

M- A little carbonation mixed with creaminess. Could use more creaminess.

D- Good beer. 5.3% abv gets the most out of it.

Good beer..can't wait to try other Rogue stuff

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

What you have here its a nice porter but I was waiting for a more tastier brew.

Used my Sams pint glass, and it poured a very dark brown brew with a brownish medium crown. Full body, nice carbonation. Roasted dark coffe along with dark chocolate with some hints of darkend malts, no alcohol perceived. The chocolate lingers on from the first sip until the coffe its percieved closely towards the end. A coffe ruled aftertaste thats somewhat dry.

3.78/5  rDev -2.3%

appearance: dark brown with a slow-fading light tan head

smell: coffee, chocolate, very hoppy

taste: bitter coffee, hoppy porter, hints of chocolate. pretty much like is smells.

mouthfeel: medium body with good carbonation.

drinkability: maybe a little bitter for some, but great if you like hour-old gas station coffee, which many do. it's good, but other rogues are better.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance = Very dark brown, almost black, with a little dark red showing on the edges of the glass. One finger of light tan head that goes down to a thin lace. Some lacing sticks to the sides of the glass.

Smell = Nice sweet malt smell, with chocolate and maybe dark cherries.

Taste = Noticeable oily hops, a bitter coffee finish, and less malty sweetness than the smell would indicate. There's a slight dark chocolate flavor in there. Some floral and grassy notes are found in the background.

Mouthfeel = Fairly smooth. Medium body with a medium-to-low level of carbonation. A little dry in the finish. A bit of hoppy bitterness coats, and stays in, the mouth.

Drinkability = It's a good beer, but not one that I'd go out of my way to get. For my personal taste, I didn't like the way the hoppy bitterness coats the mouth and I was hoping for a bit more sweetness for better balance.

4.16/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This is mocha fudge in a glass. Such a nice, sweet porter. So well balanced with just a dash of hoppiness to give it a nice edge, but the aftertaste is a smooth coffee and cream with dark chocolate fudge at the back of the tongue. The brew is dark, and the head is a dark tan.

I'll be drinking this again. and again.

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

The appearance is quite beautiful, pitch black with a tan head. Like others have said I was also surprised by the aroma and taste. The aroma is hoppy and toasty. The taste hoppy, burnt, and heavy. The mouth feel is great, thick and full. It finishes with a slight burnt orange.

4.27/5  rDev +10.3%

It has an average porter appearance and head. I have seen darker porters, but I was very impressed by this one.

I was very pleased by the light coffee and chocolate notes on the first sip with a very good finish. It is a nice beer to finish a long meal. I have yet to be disappointed by this brewery.

4.14/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in my stolen cigar city snifter from a 12oz bottle. Looks pretty good, blackish dark brown with tan head that settles leaving small ring of bubbles around the sides of the glass. No lacing to be seen but thats ok. From opening this bottle i cought whiffs of chocolate milk and toffee. Once poured the coffee and dark chocolate seem more apparent. Taste is good, malty and semi sweet with toffee and coffee notes. Doesnt sit on the palate too long which could be good or bad depending on personal style preference. Doesnt leave a bad after taste or linger on flavor, a decent trade off i suppose. Honestly i could kick back with in front of the fish tank reading a magazine and drink this all night, its easy on the drinkability side.

3.83/5  rDev -1%

Another tasty offering from Rogue. Deep dark brown, almost black, light brown head. Lots of coffee and chocolate in the nose. Taste is bitter coffee notes with hints of chocolate and slight hop bitterness. Smooth in the mouth and finishes dry and bitter. Very easy to drink several in one session and at 5.3% it won't hurt you much at all.

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into my test mug

A- Dark brown, almost black. Very little light gets through. Fluffy tan head, disappears fairly quickly. Looks very inviting.

S- Smells like coffee, smoky malts, and a hint of chocolate. This is one I love to stick my nose in.

T- Taste follows the smell closely. Lots of coffee and a smoky/burnt taste. There is a hint of bitter chocolate in there too. Finishes with a taste of hops and a slight bitter aftertaste, just enough to balance the other flavors.

M- Very smooth, carbonation was a bit above medium. It felt just right for this beer.

D- This one didn't stay in the mug long. I would love to put a few of these away, and at 5.3% abv, it wouldn't knock me over. I'll definitely have to explore porters some more.

3.11/5  rDev -19.6%

A dark brown not much light got through, light brow two finger head not much retention

S everything was kindof week faint coffee and dark malts

T enjoyable but lacking in a way i think i just like my beers overly flavorfull this was on the mellow side

M thin but creamy

D good might try it again but for now there are others i like more

4.04/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer will catch you off guard. First off I suggest you don't smell this beer because it may stray you away at first...but don't let that fool you. Smell is a really sweet, but not that great of smell. The up front taste right when it hits your lips and tounge is really sweet and hoppy...AGAIN don't let that fool you..the after taste is crazy good. Very Mocha/coffee like. Lots of Chocolate too. This beer is pricey, but I recommend you give it a try if you are into dark beers.

3.87/5  rDev 0%

Pours chestnut brown with a thin layer of head and minimal apparent carbonation.

Smell of brown sugar, raisins, slight coffee roast, and some chocolate.

Very nice, rich-tasting tones of dark malts mixed with some roasted coffee and faint toffee. Fairly bitter bite, gentle warming alcohol sensation after each sip.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Perfect carbonation level rounds out the flavors.

Nice beer, well-rounded beer. Satisfying after only a couple.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Deep, deep brown color. Almost black. Opaque. Powerful brown head of two fingers that persists.

Strong chocolate caramel aroma. Coffee-bean like. Deep, rich, very nice.

Very strong, deep chocolate flavor. Bitterness is apparent. Coffee, burnt, rich, powerful.

A bit thin for a porter. Carbonation is also a bit too high. Not bad, but I was expecting more.

For this style, I would say it is drinkable, but not highly drinkable. the taste forces you to drink very slowly. Hardy.

Overall I like this one. The taste stands out, but it lacks somewhat in other areas.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Poured into a pint glass, color was almost black with 1 1/2 inch head.

S: You get that mocha roasted coffee scent right away.

T: Taste the same as it smells, mocha, coffee. With a bitter aftertaste and slight alcohol presence.

M: Bubbly, bitter on the palate. I just wish it was a little thicker, it's a bit thin for my taste.

D: Very drinkable but I'm still aspiring for the best Porter & Stout. Drink up!

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

This is a very interesting beer. I've never had a mocha porter, so maybe it's just new to me. Much drier than I'm accustomed to in a porter. Overall came together higher than individual ratings. As a result of being slightly drier the chocolate takes on a cocoa powder property. Unique.

3.87/5  rDev 0%

Whenever I see Rogue 22 oz. bottles, I instinctively reach for the Chocolate Stout. I decided to change things up a bit and get Rogue's Mocha Porter offering out of the Wegman's cooler.

This Mocha Porter pours a dark brown with a dissipating head, leaving behind some lacing. The smell is a little bitter, but has a fitting coffee scent.

The coffee really comes through in the complex taste...bitter but satisfying. Very creamy, smooth mouthfeel. Drinkability is there, but I wouldn't go putting down too many of these babies at once.

Overall, very satisfied with Rogue's Mocha Porter.

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance: pours smooth, a very nice chocolate, head builds to one and a half fingers with a medium density tan which slowly fades. At first carbonation bubbles quickly built on the sides of the glass, but then released upon sitting. Completely opaque except on the edges. The carbonation is present and maintains the thin head while continually releasing the very nice aroma, it also results in some fairly heavy lacing that clings throughout the brew.

Smell: Deep rich mocha with strong under tones of dark malts, with high points of hops. On swirling the brew clings to the glass and rolls thickly. Some deep and rich sweetness like plums.

Taste: mostly dark malts, and a bit of hoppy spice, but nothing offensive. The malts are by far and away the dominant flavor along side with the pretty strong black coffee flavor. I didn't taste much of the mocha that I smelled after first pouring. There is a nice spicy flavor on the sides of the tongue, but there really isn't a lot doing on with the flavor. Fairly simple deep rich malts and floral hops for the spice, with a hint of the mocha on the finish. Although, there isn't a real bitter finish that I've gotten used to with porters and stouts.

Mouthfeel: thick almost like a very light maple syrup and leaves a slick feel in your mouth. The carbonation is present at the beginning but does not presist and doesn't distract.

Drinkability: an enjoyable brew, but on the BBQ meter (i.e. how many would you drink at an afternoon BBQ) it gets maybe a 2, but as far as a conosur meter is does much better in that it is a crafted beer that fits very nicely within the porter style, and doesn't not at all disappoint and it drinks very well.

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Black as a moonless night, with a relatively thick head--creamy brown.
S: Burnt coffee
T: coffee with a dark-chocolate bitter aftertaste
M: creamy but with noticeable carbonation
D: Oh, yeah. . .

Tend to prefer porters and stouts and this one is no disappointment. A little steep in price compared to some decent competition, but worth a try and many returns.

3.45/5  rDev -10.9%

This beer is only okay. I am a big fan of Rogue beer--being from PDX and all--but this one really did not hit the spot. I think I may enjoy it more on tap, but it was just okay,

The smell was in line with the title, Mocha.

T: It was a let down. I was high on life when I first saw this out here in VA. But, it did not do it for me.

M: Meh, it was okay.

I would drink this Porter, but I would not go out of my way to buy it.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales