Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,336 | Hads: 2,722
4.27/5  rDev +10.1%

It has an average porter appearance and head. I have seen darker porters, but I was very impressed by this one.

I was very pleased by the light coffee and chocolate notes on the first sip with a very good finish. It is a nice beer to finish a long meal. I have yet to be disappointed by this brewery. (305 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in my stolen cigar city snifter from a 12oz bottle. Looks pretty good, blackish dark brown with tan head that settles leaving small ring of bubbles around the sides of the glass. No lacing to be seen but thats ok. From opening this bottle i cought whiffs of chocolate milk and toffee. Once poured the coffee and dark chocolate seem more apparent. Taste is good, malty and semi sweet with toffee and coffee notes. Doesnt sit on the palate too long which could be good or bad depending on personal style preference. Doesnt leave a bad after taste or linger on flavor, a decent trade off i suppose. Honestly i could kick back with in front of the fish tank reading a magazine and drink this all night, its easy on the drinkability side. (740 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

Another tasty offering from Rogue. Deep dark brown, almost black, light brown head. Lots of coffee and chocolate in the nose. Taste is bitter coffee notes with hints of chocolate and slight hop bitterness. Smooth in the mouth and finishes dry and bitter. Very easy to drink several in one session and at 5.3% it won't hurt you much at all. (339 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured into my test mug

A- Dark brown, almost black. Very little light gets through. Fluffy tan head, disappears fairly quickly. Looks very inviting.

S- Smells like coffee, smoky malts, and a hint of chocolate. This is one I love to stick my nose in.

T- Taste follows the smell closely. Lots of coffee and a smoky/burnt taste. There is a hint of bitter chocolate in there too. Finishes with a taste of hops and a slight bitter aftertaste, just enough to balance the other flavors.

M- Very smooth, carbonation was a bit above medium. It felt just right for this beer.

D- This one didn't stay in the mug long. I would love to put a few of these away, and at 5.3% abv, it wouldn't knock me over. I'll definitely have to explore porters some more. (748 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -19.8%

A dark brown not much light got through, light brow two finger head not much retention

S everything was kindof week faint coffee and dark malts

T enjoyable but lacking in a way i think i just like my beers overly flavorfull this was on the mellow side

M thin but creamy

D good might try it again but for now there are others i like more (342 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer will catch you off guard. First off I suggest you don't smell this beer because it may stray you away at first...but don't let that fool you. Smell is a really sweet, but not that great of smell. The up front taste right when it hits your lips and tounge is really sweet and hoppy...AGAIN don't let that fool you..the after taste is crazy good. Very Mocha/coffee like. Lots of Chocolate too. This beer is pricey, but I recommend you give it a try if you are into dark beers. (484 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours chestnut brown with a thin layer of head and minimal apparent carbonation.

Smell of brown sugar, raisins, slight coffee roast, and some chocolate.

Very nice, rich-tasting tones of dark malts mixed with some roasted coffee and faint toffee. Fairly bitter bite, gentle warming alcohol sensation after each sip.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Perfect carbonation level rounds out the flavors.

Nice beer, well-rounded beer. Satisfying after only a couple. (462 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Deep, deep brown color. Almost black. Opaque. Powerful brown head of two fingers that persists.

Strong chocolate caramel aroma. Coffee-bean like. Deep, rich, very nice.

Very strong, deep chocolate flavor. Bitterness is apparent. Coffee, burnt, rich, powerful.

A bit thin for a porter. Carbonation is also a bit too high. Not bad, but I was expecting more.

For this style, I would say it is drinkable, but not highly drinkable. the taste forces you to drink very slowly. Hardy.

Overall I like this one. The taste stands out, but it lacks somewhat in other areas. (566 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Poured into a pint glass, color was almost black with 1 1/2 inch head.

S: You get that mocha roasted coffee scent right away.

T: Taste the same as it smells, mocha, coffee. With a bitter aftertaste and slight alcohol presence.

M: Bubbly, bitter on the palate. I just wish it was a little thicker, it's a bit thin for my taste.

D: Very drinkable but I'm still aspiring for the best Porter & Stout. Drink up! (413 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -0.3%

Whenever I see Rogue 22 oz. bottles, I instinctively reach for the Chocolate Stout. I decided to change things up a bit and get Rogue's Mocha Porter offering out of the Wegman's cooler.

This Mocha Porter pours a dark brown with a dissipating head, leaving behind some lacing. The smell is a little bitter, but has a fitting coffee scent.

The coffee really comes through in the complex taste...bitter but satisfying. Very creamy, smooth mouthfeel. Drinkability is there, but I wouldn't go putting down too many of these babies at once.

Overall, very satisfied with Rogue's Mocha Porter. (588 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance: pours smooth, a very nice chocolate, head builds to one and a half fingers with a medium density tan which slowly fades. At first carbonation bubbles quickly built on the sides of the glass, but then released upon sitting. Completely opaque except on the edges. The carbonation is present and maintains the thin head while continually releasing the very nice aroma, it also results in some fairly heavy lacing that clings throughout the brew.

Smell: Deep rich mocha with strong under tones of dark malts, with high points of hops. On swirling the brew clings to the glass and rolls thickly. Some deep and rich sweetness like plums.

Taste: mostly dark malts, and a bit of hoppy spice, but nothing offensive. The malts are by far and away the dominant flavor along side with the pretty strong black coffee flavor. I didn't taste much of the mocha that I smelled after first pouring. There is a nice spicy flavor on the sides of the tongue, but there really isn't a lot doing on with the flavor. Fairly simple deep rich malts and floral hops for the spice, with a hint of the mocha on the finish. Although, there isn't a real bitter finish that I've gotten used to with porters and stouts.

Mouthfeel: thick almost like a very light maple syrup and leaves a slick feel in your mouth. The carbonation is present at the beginning but does not presist and doesn't distract.

Drinkability: an enjoyable brew, but on the BBQ meter (i.e. how many would you drink at an afternoon BBQ) it gets maybe a 2, but as far as a conosur meter is does much better in that it is a crafted beer that fits very nicely within the porter style, and doesn't not at all disappoint and it drinks very well. (1,692 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Black as a moonless night, with a relatively thick head--creamy brown.
S: Burnt coffee
T: coffee with a dark-chocolate bitter aftertaste
M: creamy but with noticeable carbonation
D: Oh, yeah. . .

Tend to prefer porters and stouts and this one is no disappointment. A little steep in price compared to some decent competition, but worth a try and many returns. (365 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%

This beer is only okay. I am a big fan of Rogue beer--being from PDX and all--but this one really did not hit the spot. I think I may enjoy it more on tap, but it was just okay,

The smell was in line with the title, Mocha.

T: It was a let down. I was high on life when I first saw this out here in VA. But, it did not do it for me.

M: Meh, it was okay.

I would drink this Porter, but I would not go out of my way to buy it. (429 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours the color of slightly used motor oil. Thick foam head and great lacing.

Smells like toasted malts and some cocoa and vanillin.

Taste is refreshing but bold. All the flavors balance well and accent each other. Bitter hops balance with the malt, then the secondary flavors chime in with sweet caramel, coffee, chocolate, and vanilla. Leaves a pretty heavy bittersweet aftertaste. Great multi dimensional flavor.

Mouthfeel: it seems kind of in between cream and crisp. I'd prefer it to be one or the other.

Overall: Excellent brew. The flavor has been tuned to perfection. (579 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the standard for which all Porters should be measured. I was very impressed with this Porter.

It poured a beautiful dark dark amber with a thin head that laced around my glass. I could pick out a faint coffee smell.

There is a slight coffee taste to the beer along with a nice maltiness. I really enjoyed the thcker mouthfeel. A lot of Porters seem to be to watery for me. The carbonation was perfect. Not too much nor too little. As I said before, a beer to judge others by. (490 characters)

3.88/5  rDev 0%

A - Very dark brown. Dark thick head.

S - Smells like coffee, chocolate, bittersweet malts.

T - Big coffee upfront with a bittersweet chocolate aftertaste.

M - Medium bodied. Medium carbonation.

D - Very drinkable. I bought five cases on sale at the brewery and after two cases I'm still happy to be drinking it. (316 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -14.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Poured a dark black with a dense foamy brown-tinted head. The head receeded leaving significant lacing.

S: Tons of chocolate and a little coffee.

T: Tons of coffee and a little chocolate, not really tasting much in the way of hops. The taste if fairly disappointing compared to the smell.

M: While I can't taste the hops, I can definitely feel the bitterness on my tongue. While it's fairly smooth, it almost tastes a little thin.

D: Nothing special going on for me, I'd move on to something else after this one. (560 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

I can't say enough good things about this beer. I had it from a pint glass. The appearance was great. Nice and dark, with a solid mocha colored head. The taste was amazing. Every mouthful was full of flavor, and went down smooth. I could drink it all day...and have lol. Run out and get some today. (298 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

650ml Btl. 2005

Beer pours dark brown but not black with a short tight head that fades to a thin film of carbonation and leaves a nice lacing. The nose is based on dark malts. It starts with roasted malts reminiscent of any porter but moves quickly to rich chocolate and coffee. There is little, if any, hops in the nose. Faint hints of caramel and sugar. The palate starts sweet and slightly dull. The malts come through beautifully. The main expression is roasted grains and coffee. As the malts fade there is a rather powerful hop bitterness to balance the sweetness of the malts. The hops do not last long however. They are quickly replaced by a strong aftertaste of pure chocolate that lingers for a minute of so. The mouthfeel is surprisingly crisp and clean for a beer as dark as this. It is highly carbonated which I believe makes the beer much more drinkable than the more syrupy dark beers.

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I was expecting it to be cloyingly sweet and thick. I was happy to discover that it is well balanced and crisp. A very nice surprise. (1,081 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a 12oz into a tulip style christoffel glass. I am usually not a porter or stout type of guy, but was amazed at how likable this beer is. Smells sweet and chocolately, not at all offensive. Taste is good also, somewhat dark and burnt tasting, very sweet as well. For a porter, very drinkable and smooth. I've had this beer before, but don't remember it being so nice. Will buy again, but probably not very often. (423 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%

Picked up a sixer of this recently. Delicious.

A--Bottle poured into a pint glass. Formed a light bubbly tan head two fingers tall. Quickly dissipated after the first sip, save for a bit of lacing and bubbles around the rim. Deep brown in color.

S--Toasty malt aroma with a resiny hop scent coming in at the end. Coffee aroma balances the toasty malt.

T--Very smooth smoky malt flavor at the nose. Balanced with light hop notes. Coffee malts really come through at the finish.

M--Fairly thin for such strong taste. Light carbonation tickles the tongue just as the hops come through. Silky coffee aftertaste is what does it for me though.

D--Just great. One upside to the thinner mouthfeel is that I could still drink this on a cool summer evening w/o it feeling too heavy. I like a dark beer even if its not winter, so this is a great pick for me. (852 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

This porter has a dark, chocolate appearance with a plentiful foamy head. The lacing is excellent as well.

You can smell a bit of the alcohol, but there is a definite burnt, nutty, cocoa bean kind of smell going on.

There are definitely a few dimensions of flavors when you take a sip of this porter. At first it tastes like a bitter brown ale, but then a roasted mocha flavor kicks in. As it finishes you crave more.

This porter is pretty smooth and almost feels like silk that finishes light.

A very drinkable porter. I am tasting this with my girlfriend and she is not a porter fan, but this may have changed her mind. (625 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%

I have had most of Rogues other offerings and and have enjoyed every one of them, so I am excited to have the Mocha Porter.

Appearance- Pours a mildy hazy dark brown with a light tan, 1 finger head... Dissipates quickly

Smell- Possibly my favorite part of this beer. Dark roasted malts with coffee and chocolate present. Very arousing scents

Taste- Chocolatey malts and roasted barley make themselves extremely apparent. The mocha is present as well. Very tasty beer

Mouthfeel- Light-medium body, appropriate amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is definitely one of my favorite Rogues, if not one of my favorite porters. A well-executed example of the style (667 characters)

3.88/5  rDev 0%

This is a very interesting beer. I've never had a mocha porter, so maybe it's just new to me. Much drier than I'm accustomed to in a porter. Overall came together higher than individual ratings. As a result of being slightly drier the chocolate takes on a cocoa powder property. Unique. (286 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

As a big fan of Rogue brews, it wasn't hard to convince myself to try this.

Pours a dark, murky brown with a creamy tan head. Looks good. Smells slightly malty, rather coffee-like. Big roasted malt flavors which recede into a burnt coffee flavor. Chocolate notes are present, but this isn't quite the little brother to Rogue's chocolate stout. Mouthfeel is dead-on for a good porter, and this makes an excellent substitute for an after-dinner coffee. A perfect brew for enjoying the coming cold season. Not a bad brew to enjoy a cigar with, either. (551 characters)

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales