Follow our progress ...

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Reviews: 1,352 | Ratings: 2,819
3.87/5  rDev 0%

Whenever I see Rogue 22 oz. bottles, I instinctively reach for the Chocolate Stout. I decided to change things up a bit and get Rogue's Mocha Porter offering out of the Wegman's cooler.

This Mocha Porter pours a dark brown with a dissipating head, leaving behind some lacing. The smell is a little bitter, but has a fitting coffee scent.

The coffee really comes through in the complex taste...bitter but satisfying. Very creamy, smooth mouthfeel. Drinkability is there, but I wouldn't go putting down too many of these babies at once.

Overall, very satisfied with Rogue's Mocha Porter.

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance: pours smooth, a very nice chocolate, head builds to one and a half fingers with a medium density tan which slowly fades. At first carbonation bubbles quickly built on the sides of the glass, but then released upon sitting. Completely opaque except on the edges. The carbonation is present and maintains the thin head while continually releasing the very nice aroma, it also results in some fairly heavy lacing that clings throughout the brew.

Smell: Deep rich mocha with strong under tones of dark malts, with high points of hops. On swirling the brew clings to the glass and rolls thickly. Some deep and rich sweetness like plums.

Taste: mostly dark malts, and a bit of hoppy spice, but nothing offensive. The malts are by far and away the dominant flavor along side with the pretty strong black coffee flavor. I didn't taste much of the mocha that I smelled after first pouring. There is a nice spicy flavor on the sides of the tongue, but there really isn't a lot doing on with the flavor. Fairly simple deep rich malts and floral hops for the spice, with a hint of the mocha on the finish. Although, there isn't a real bitter finish that I've gotten used to with porters and stouts.

Mouthfeel: thick almost like a very light maple syrup and leaves a slick feel in your mouth. The carbonation is present at the beginning but does not presist and doesn't distract.

Drinkability: an enjoyable brew, but on the BBQ meter (i.e. how many would you drink at an afternoon BBQ) it gets maybe a 2, but as far as a conosur meter is does much better in that it is a crafted beer that fits very nicely within the porter style, and doesn't not at all disappoint and it drinks very well.

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Black as a moonless night, with a relatively thick head--creamy brown.
S: Burnt coffee
T: coffee with a dark-chocolate bitter aftertaste
M: creamy but with noticeable carbonation
D: Oh, yeah. . .

Tend to prefer porters and stouts and this one is no disappointment. A little steep in price compared to some decent competition, but worth a try and many returns.

3.45/5  rDev -10.9%

This beer is only okay. I am a big fan of Rogue beer--being from PDX and all--but this one really did not hit the spot. I think I may enjoy it more on tap, but it was just okay,

The smell was in line with the title, Mocha.

T: It was a let down. I was high on life when I first saw this out here in VA. But, it did not do it for me.

M: Meh, it was okay.

I would drink this Porter, but I would not go out of my way to buy it.

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours the color of slightly used motor oil. Thick foam head and great lacing.

Smells like toasted malts and some cocoa and vanillin.

Taste is refreshing but bold. All the flavors balance well and accent each other. Bitter hops balance with the malt, then the secondary flavors chime in with sweet caramel, coffee, chocolate, and vanilla. Leaves a pretty heavy bittersweet aftertaste. Great multi dimensional flavor.

Mouthfeel: it seems kind of in between cream and crisp. I'd prefer it to be one or the other.

Overall: Excellent brew. The flavor has been tuned to perfection.

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the standard for which all Porters should be measured. I was very impressed with this Porter.

It poured a beautiful dark dark amber with a thin head that laced around my glass. I could pick out a faint coffee smell.

There is a slight coffee taste to the beer along with a nice maltiness. I really enjoyed the thcker mouthfeel. A lot of Porters seem to be to watery for me. The carbonation was perfect. Not too much nor too little. As I said before, a beer to judge others by.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Very dark brown. Dark thick head.

S - Smells like coffee, chocolate, bittersweet malts.

T - Big coffee upfront with a bittersweet chocolate aftertaste.

M - Medium bodied. Medium carbonation.

D - Very drinkable. I bought five cases on sale at the brewery and after two cases I'm still happy to be drinking it.

3.3/5  rDev -14.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Poured a dark black with a dense foamy brown-tinted head. The head receeded leaving significant lacing.

S: Tons of chocolate and a little coffee.

T: Tons of coffee and a little chocolate, not really tasting much in the way of hops. The taste if fairly disappointing compared to the smell.

M: While I can't taste the hops, I can definitely feel the bitterness on my tongue. While it's fairly smooth, it almost tastes a little thin.

D: Nothing special going on for me, I'd move on to something else after this one.

4.65/5  rDev +20.2%

I can't say enough good things about this beer. I had it from a pint glass. The appearance was great. Nice and dark, with a solid mocha colored head. The taste was amazing. Every mouthful was full of flavor, and went down smooth. I could drink it all day...and have lol. Run out and get some today.

4.17/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

650ml Btl. 2005

Beer pours dark brown but not black with a short tight head that fades to a thin film of carbonation and leaves a nice lacing. The nose is based on dark malts. It starts with roasted malts reminiscent of any porter but moves quickly to rich chocolate and coffee. There is little, if any, hops in the nose. Faint hints of caramel and sugar. The palate starts sweet and slightly dull. The malts come through beautifully. The main expression is roasted grains and coffee. As the malts fade there is a rather powerful hop bitterness to balance the sweetness of the malts. The hops do not last long however. They are quickly replaced by a strong aftertaste of pure chocolate that lingers for a minute of so. The mouthfeel is surprisingly crisp and clean for a beer as dark as this. It is highly carbonated which I believe makes the beer much more drinkable than the more syrupy dark beers.

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I was expecting it to be cloyingly sweet and thick. I was happy to discover that it is well balanced and crisp. A very nice surprise.

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a 12oz into a tulip style christoffel glass. I am usually not a porter or stout type of guy, but was amazed at how likable this beer is. Smells sweet and chocolately, not at all offensive. Taste is good also, somewhat dark and burnt tasting, very sweet as well. For a porter, very drinkable and smooth. I've had this beer before, but don't remember it being so nice. Will buy again, but probably not very often.

4.18/5  rDev +8%

Picked up a sixer of this recently. Delicious.

A--Bottle poured into a pint glass. Formed a light bubbly tan head two fingers tall. Quickly dissipated after the first sip, save for a bit of lacing and bubbles around the rim. Deep brown in color.

S--Toasty malt aroma with a resiny hop scent coming in at the end. Coffee aroma balances the toasty malt.

T--Very smooth smoky malt flavor at the nose. Balanced with light hop notes. Coffee malts really come through at the finish.

M--Fairly thin for such strong taste. Light carbonation tickles the tongue just as the hops come through. Silky coffee aftertaste is what does it for me though.

D--Just great. One upside to the thinner mouthfeel is that I could still drink this on a cool summer evening w/o it feeling too heavy. I like a dark beer even if its not winter, so this is a great pick for me.

4.28/5  rDev +10.6%

This porter has a dark, chocolate appearance with a plentiful foamy head. The lacing is excellent as well.

You can smell a bit of the alcohol, but there is a definite burnt, nutty, cocoa bean kind of smell going on.

There are definitely a few dimensions of flavors when you take a sip of this porter. At first it tastes like a bitter brown ale, but then a roasted mocha flavor kicks in. As it finishes you crave more.

This porter is pretty smooth and almost feels like silk that finishes light.

A very drinkable porter. I am tasting this with my girlfriend and she is not a porter fan, but this may have changed her mind.

4.32/5  rDev +11.6%

I have had most of Rogues other offerings and and have enjoyed every one of them, so I am excited to have the Mocha Porter.

Appearance- Pours a mildy hazy dark brown with a light tan, 1 finger head... Dissipates quickly

Smell- Possibly my favorite part of this beer. Dark roasted malts with coffee and chocolate present. Very arousing scents

Taste- Chocolatey malts and roasted barley make themselves extremely apparent. The mocha is present as well. Very tasty beer

Mouthfeel- Light-medium body, appropriate amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is definitely one of my favorite Rogues, if not one of my favorite porters. A well-executed example of the style

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

As a big fan of Rogue brews, it wasn't hard to convince myself to try this.

Pours a dark, murky brown with a creamy tan head. Looks good. Smells slightly malty, rather coffee-like. Big roasted malt flavors which recede into a burnt coffee flavor. Chocolate notes are present, but this isn't quite the little brother to Rogue's chocolate stout. Mouthfeel is dead-on for a good porter, and this makes an excellent substitute for an after-dinner coffee. A perfect brew for enjoying the coming cold season. Not a bad brew to enjoy a cigar with, either.

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

Picked this case up because my lovely Wife now loves dark Brews!
Can't go wrong with Rogues!!

Poured into pint glass, and first thing that impresses me is the cloudy black mud colour.The brown chunk sediment floating around the glass is inviting. On top stands an inch thick tan/gold foamy tight bubble head that sticks.

Really love the nose on this one. Sweet caramel with nice burnt coffee, and chocalate notes. Also pickin up a hickory toffee aroma thats vedy, vedy nice.

Impressive well balance of burnt toasted malts with a rich mocha flavour, and dry hops. Great lacing going down, and as the Beer warms, getting a sweet sour malt on the nose, and the palate which is great.

Throw in the med-heavy creamy mouthfeel with good carbonation, and this Brew wins me over.

I'v got alot more Rogue Beers to try, and their Brewpub looks awesome.

Great quality Porter.

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

I bought this beer in a Micro sampler at Pazzo's Pizza Pub in Lexington, KY. Overall, I must say that out of the 4 I tried, this is most likely the best. You got the classic porter flavor, very tasty but the coffee flavor of this brew really stands out. It's almost like they brewed a fantastic porter and flavored it with coffee. Of course, this is not for those who dislike java. But I can guarantee I'll be buying more of this in the future.

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

A: pours a rich dark brown, almost black, with a tan creamy head.

S: smells of chocolate, coffee, and roasted malts.

T: nicely balanced flavor of chocolate and coffee.

M: Rich mouth feel but smooth and not overly heavy tasting.

D: Amazingly drinkable for a porter. Highly recommended!

Another great brew from the folks at Rogue!

3.83/5  rDev -1%

I poured this 12oz bottle into a snifter, with generous fluffy, tan head. It started to resemble hot chocolate. Smells of coffee, crema, dark chocolate. Intense coffee or even espresso comes through, with mild chocolatey sweetness. I would actually describe as medium bodied, as a porter. The carbonation is adequate to deliver an oily brew. Very tasty.

4.27/5  rDev +10.3%

Grabbed this delight from a create your own six-pack. Poured into a bottle (no freshness date on bottle) and noticed right away the great smell.. slight coco hints. Poured dark with very little head that quickly disappeared.

I didnt notice much of a mocha taste or smell other then slight chocolate hints. Yet very enjoyable and drinkable. I really enjoy a good Porter and I feel like that while this was not very thick I could drink all night.

4.29/5  rDev +10.9%

Got a 6-pack of this for $10.99 the other night.

A: standard porter color... not a whole lot of head at all, but the half centimeter that was there stayed there.

S: smells of coffee and chocolate... mocha, you might say. good and rich but not overpowering.

T: Doesn't taste like much to start off, maybe some toasted malt but the aftertaste or when it hits the back of your tongue is a great coffee and chocolate sensation. very pleasing indeed.

M: Not too rich so its pretty refreshing and feels medium bodied on the palate. I love that in a stout.

D: I only drank one but it went down very easily and pleasant. Very good drinking experience.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy the bottle art of this beer.

The appearance is black. Black like tar. Even while back lit this beer is still dark. It has a nice head that lasts... I poured my bottle into a glass and left it on my desk for 20 or so minutes and it still has a nice frothy 1/4 inch of head.

I really need to read more, and smell more, when it comes to identifying aromas. The smell is not overwhelming in any particular direction... I want to say it smells of mocha, but I don't even know what that means! Mocha is in the name so I want to say that's the smell... It's, I guess, a balanced aroma of coffee without any strong smell of hops (the Kudzu Porter from Back Forty smells strongly of hops in comparison).

Someone more experienced than I can probably describe the complexity of the taste. The strongest is, of course, the mocha flavor... hints of chocolate... I find it absolutely delicious. They need to barrel age this stuff in Jack Daniel's barrels so I can contrast it with another local barrel aged porter that I love.

The mouthfeel is kind of creamy... thickish... but with a somewhat refreshing dryness to it...

Overall I love this porter very much. I expected I would from what I'd heard/read about it. I couldn't get it as a single from the liquor store so I had to get a whole six pack and I have no doubt that I will drink them all... maybe even tonight...!

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

Dark brown. Smells of roasted coffee and malt. Sharp up front with tastes of bitter chocolate and coffee followed by tangy fig. Chocolate flavors in the aftertaste. It's sufficently carbonated and bubbly though I may prefer it just a but more bubbly.

3.92/5  rDev +1.3%

Decided to give this one a whirl recently, since American Porters are one of my favorites.

It had a fairly typical look, considering it's porter nature, deep brown to black in appearance. My sample being of the bottle variety may have had something to do with the head retention being kind of disapointing. It didn't pour off and leave much of anything, but a bit of lacing around the edges.

I always say that this is the sense I'm least adept in. I didn't notice any off sents or particularly noticable characteristics. A bit of a malty-nutty nature not unlike an iced cappachino.

The taste however was solid, definitely had the malted coffee and chocolate nature that is intended in this style.

Mouthfeel was solid and a bit heavier, which was desirable and of course expected, but not so much that it was difficult to drink during a summer day.

I would definitely like to try this beer again on draft to see what the differences would be, but for me this beer is average. I liked it and I would have it again, but I've had other Porters that I enjoyed more.

4.14/5  rDev +7%

Beer pours black into the bottle. The head is about 2 inches and sticks around for a good while. The smell has that nice porter/stout aroma, but their is a defenitie smell of coffee grounds at the back of the aroma. The taste begins with malted barley hints of caramels and i do believe their might have been a slight taste of berries. The end has a nice coffee grounds taste to it. This beer feels very creamy in the mouth. I could put a couple of these down on a cold day like today.
Overall a good winter time beer from Rogue.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales