2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Mocha PorterMocha Porter

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,234 | Reviews: 1,302 | Show All Ratings:
AleWynch

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

poured mildly chilled into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass

A: Dark brown, ruby at edges - nice 2 finger head - quickly dissipated into 1/4" head - limited lacing.

S: Picking up roasted malts, a bit of caramel malt...not much else.

T: Decent, but overly roasted. Bit astringent, husky on the finish... Needs a bit more backbone/body... Surprisingly one-dimensional - not really getting a lot of the chocolate/coffee flavor - just the roasted malt mainly.

M: Well carbonated, bit thin, overall not too bad, but nothing special.

D: Not a terrible porter, but not especially notable. Probably not a repeat purchase.

03-27-2010 04:12:19 | More by AleWynch
BRoberts914

Georgia

3.6/5  rDev -7%

I had anticipated trying this beer for quite some time. Finally got the chance last night. The appearance is what one would expect for the style--dark, with ruby highlights on the edges. The smell is pleasing with a healthy dose of dark malts, english hops, and a hint of roasted nuts. Unfortunately, the malts suggested by the aroma did not show up as prominently in the palate as I had expected. Maybe I'm being a little harsh here, but it seemed like the malt taste was too weak and gave way to the hoppy finish too quickly for a robust porter. The mouthfeel was very good--creamy, full bodied, but not overpowering. I could easily drink multiples of this beer, but I would probably go with an Anchor or a Sierra Nevada instead.

12-30-2005 22:32:11 | More by BRoberts914
gauchebag

I don't know if I got an old bottle or something but this was very underwhelming. It looked good enough, dark and black, poured a decent head. No smell whatsoever. I see reviews saying that it smelled like coffee or chocolate, I just smell a very vague bitterness that has no real character.

The taste is extremely bland and very light. Again, no real character and to move on to mouthfeel, it's very very thin and there is basically no carbonation present.

It's somewhat drinkable because it's so inoffensive but that's not something I look for in a beer. I'll have to try this if I'm out in Oregon again but this time I was really not impressed at all.

02-20-2010 22:56:36 | More by gauchebag
iamntbatman

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance: Very dark brown. Light gets through only on the extreme edges. The thick, tan head quickly dissipates and leaves behind moderate lacing.

Smell: Coffee, coffee, and more coffee with hints of bitter chocolate and nuts (I'm thinking hazelnuts).

Taste: Coffee, burnt malt bitterness, chocolate is more slight and again a little bit of nuttiness. The hops poke their tiny head through in the background, which was lost in the smell.

Mouthfeel: Prickly and thin at first but sticks to the tongue nicely. This would be a bit better if it was thicker in the mouth.

Drinkability: Fairly high, but the strong flavor keeps it from being a real session beer.

This porter is closer to some of the more coffee-flavored stouts I've had than most other porters I've had. One of the best porters I've had for sure.

03-25-2009 04:00:28 | More by iamntbatman
treble

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

Each time tasting this beer, it was poured from the bottle into an unchilled pint mug. The coloring is pretty typical of this style of beer, a very dark rich brown, caramel hued when held up to the light, slightly reddish. The head built up beautifully, a fluffy off-white, a good couple fingers tall and didn't dissipate too quickly. Lacing on the glass is not exactly like, well, lace, it's more a creamy ring with bubbles in it at the top and then gradually becomes more openwork as it sheets down the glass.

Smells rich, raisins and slight dark chocolate, but also with a bit of alcohol, sour-ish but not offensive, robust.

I have a funny relationship with porters, i either like them very much, or i can't even bring myself to finish my beer. I liked the taste of this one very much, it didn't have that terrible bitterness i dread experiencing. I actually liked this beer closer to the room temp. than very cold. Very complex in its flavors, tastes slightly alcoholic, you really can taste hints of cocoa initially and then it quickly develops into a full hoppy coffee with burned sugar that starts at the back and puckers the tip of your tongue. Not unpleasantly bitter, nor can i say it's at all sweet, pretty nice development and balance. The bitterness it does have stays in your mouth long after your sip though, a drawback in my opinion.

Hm, mouthfeel, i can see why one of the reviewers said that a thicker mouthfeel was expected, it is very dark and flavorful and there is quite a bit of carbonation, which is why the head was so beautiful. This beer is by no means thin, though, just big bubbles. I think that maybe finer carbonation would be an improvement but it's pretty smooth regardless. Definitely a drinkable beer, i did have four of them, but i like dark beer...

11-02-2008 21:27:22 | More by treble
RealityGrill

Arizona

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Imperial Pint Glass

A: Appears almost black, russet tones when held to light, massive light brown head that dissolves chunkily.

S: Mocha (surprisingly), quite sweet

T: Intense coffee and chocolate followed by rear-mouth bitterness, but after the first two sips I became slightly numbed to this

M: Slightly more watery than I expected, but this was after drinking a cream stout

D: The bitterness seemed to ruin my palate, but I would certainly buy this beer again another day

Rogue always gets points for style

07-14-2010 06:29:11 | More by RealityGrill
CrumpledFish

Ontario (Canada)

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

A: Very dark brown, almost black. Two finger tan head.

S: Appropriately named since it has a nice chocolately mocha smell. Malty as well.

T: Quite sour up front and an interesting aftertaste that is slightly smoky.

M: Somewhat runny, almost what I would call watery.

O: I'll admit my experience with porters is somewhat limited, but this beer was only so-so for me. It wasn't bad, but the watery feel and sour taste didn't thrill me. I would drink it again, but I wouldn't buy it again.

05-14-2011 00:37:13 | More by CrumpledFish
PorterForMe

Indiana

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A: Poured a 1 1/2-finger tan head with decent retention and excellent lacing. Dark brown with some light penetration producing a reddish appearance around the edges of the glass

S: Sweet, toasty malts and light hop presence

T: Follows the nose. Coffee and toasty malts over biscuit-flavored foundation and faint, bittersweet chocolate finish. The flavors are all there, they are just a little too thin.

M: Very nice, great carbonation and medium body.

O: Pretty good but not mind-blowing. There are more flavorful year-round porters to be had. If you have access, go for Deschutes Black Butte Porter instead.

06-08-2011 02:55:25 | More by PorterForMe
FlikkerDans

3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

I'm not sure what the date was on this, so it could have been new or a few years old. It poured black with a small tan colored head. The smell was mostly roasty, with a slight hint of dark chocolate.There was mainly a roasted coffee taste, again with a slight hint of chocolate, but not as much chocolate as expected for a Mocha Porter. The mouthfeel was quite nice as this was a cool, smooth, and creamy beer. This wasn't a bad beer by any means. I'm glad I tried it but I wouldn't rush out to buy more. I get the feeling that it was a year or two old so I'd like to try it new.

02-18-2009 14:48:22 | More by FlikkerDans
dkrusekontrol

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured out with a nice tan head that seems to hold. Dark. Looks like a porter should.

I love the smell. Then again I love coffee. A little bit of smoke, dark chocolate, and alcohol.

The taste is quite bitter. Think dark rather than milk chocolate. I found myself wishing there was a touch more creamy sweetness, but there's definitely some good stuff going on. I managed to find a little caramel. The coffee taste really hits after the initial bitterness.

I found my mouth to be a little sticky after swallowing. I enjoyed the brew. Thanks Rogue!

04-21-2011 01:42:27 | More by dkrusekontrol
mrmuskie

This beer poured a black with burgandy highlights and a 1/4" tan head.
The smell was a roasty maple sweetness with a slight coffee aromma and maybe a touch of pine.
The taste wasnt the typical mocha flavor i was used to it had a sweet maltiness with good hop balance, i found the coffee flavor can through in the finish (very nice).
All and all i would say this is a very drinkable porter not the typical cloying sweet malt bomb.

02-23-2011 15:40:10 | More by mrmuskie
Brewdacris

Alabama

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

I have had most of Rogues other offerings and and have enjoyed every one of them, so I am excited to have the Mocha Porter.

Appearance- Pours a mildy hazy dark brown with a light tan, 1 finger head... Dissipates quickly

Smell- Possibly my favorite part of this beer. Dark roasted malts with coffee and chocolate present. Very arousing scents

Taste- Chocolatey malts and roasted barley make themselves extremely apparent. The mocha is present as well. Very tasty beer

Mouthfeel- Light-medium body, appropriate amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is definitely one of my favorite Rogues, if not one of my favorite porters. A well-executed example of the style

12-14-2011 01:52:03 | More by Brewdacris
RPFinn

Colorado

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%

A: pours dark brown with a solid tan head. good retention, very even. Nice looking brew.

S: Big sweet malt on the nose. Toffee and caramel up front. Roasted barley and light chocolate notes towards the end.

T: Sweet chocolate. Beautifully balanced. Toffee and caramel reappear after the chocolate at the forefront. Excellent balance. Roasted barley and smokiness emerge as it warms to room temp.

M: Great mouthfeel on this beer. Not quite chewy, but substantial enough for what I'm expecting from a Rogue Porter.

D: Superb. Dangerously drinkable. I love this beer, and want to savor it, but I can't put it down...

09-06-2010 00:01:40 | More by RPFinn
Papabear55

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into a 10 oz snifter from 22 oz bomber

A:Nice two finger dark brown head. Looks thicker than it actually is.

S: Coffee with a bit of burn malts.

T:All coffee with a nice malty backbone to keep it from being overwhelming.

M: Thicker than most porters I've had. Not much coating of the mouth with this one.

O: Rogue is my favorite brewery and for me this beer delivers. Good price and goes well with a breakfast style dinner.

10-12-2012 02:45:37 | More by Papabear55
docnose

Alabama

4.46/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy the bottle art of this beer.

The appearance is black. Black like tar. Even while back lit this beer is still dark. It has a nice head that lasts... I poured my bottle into a glass and left it on my desk for 20 or so minutes and it still has a nice frothy 1/4 inch of head.

I really need to read more, and smell more, when it comes to identifying aromas. The smell is not overwhelming in any particular direction... I want to say it smells of mocha, but I don't even know what that means! Mocha is in the name so I want to say that's the smell... It's, I guess, a balanced aroma of coffee without any strong smell of hops (the Kudzu Porter from Back Forty smells strongly of hops in comparison).

Someone more experienced than I can probably describe the complexity of the taste. The strongest is, of course, the mocha flavor... hints of chocolate... I find it absolutely delicious. They need to barrel age this stuff in Jack Daniel's barrels so I can contrast it with another local barrel aged porter that I love.

The mouthfeel is kind of creamy... thickish... but with a somewhat refreshing dryness to it...

Overall I love this porter very much. I expected I would from what I'd heard/read about it. I couldn't get it as a single from the liquor store so I had to get a whole six pack and I have no doubt that I will drink them all... maybe even tonight...!

02-15-2013 05:21:30 | More by docnose
reillybeer

4.22/5  rDev +9%

A - Black color, dark amber when held up to light. Looks like coca cola. Frothy beige colored head, eighth inch high. Thin patchy lacing.

S - Mostly dark roasted coffee, tangy grapefruit hop undertones. Very sharp smelling.

T - Definitely lives up to its name as a mocha flavor dominates at first, then it segues into a bittersweet hoppy flavor.

M - Moderate carbonation. Light creaminess.

D - Surprisingly this is not a very heavy beer,which enhances its drinkability as its flavors are somewhat intense. This beer is tasty :)

10-25-2007 03:50:15 | More by reillybeer
chiefthreebeers

Vermont

4.22/5  rDev +9%

Great beer. Hearty, sweet and flavorful. I saw mocha porter and was worried about it being bitter and chalky. Not the case. Brilliant design and execution.

A- Dark

S- Roasted aromas

T- Chocolate and coffee notes are abundant.

M- Bitterness is offset perfectly with sweetness, a very well balanced beer in my humble opinion

D- I am nursing this one, not sure if it's a session beer. Probably better off for a after dinner beer

11-10-2008 00:26:35 | More by chiefthreebeers
Holden

New Hampshire

4.22/5  rDev +9%

A dense head lingered for a couple of minutes on this nearly opaque porter. I noticed a soft, but not overpowering roasty cocoa aroma as I sniffed. I detected no hop aroma.

Upon taking a sip, it became obvious why this is called mocha. The blend of cocoa, coffee carried though to the end with a pleasing aftertaste that made me want to have more. The slight maltiness was balanced well with the hop bitterness and roasted malts. The flavor really came through as the beer warms up.

Mouthfeel was pleasant and appropriate, improved as the beer warms, and carbonation dropped a bit. I really enjoyed this beer.

01-21-2005 01:37:39 | More by Holden
dmortens

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear glass stein.

A - A little more than a finger of dense, tan head with good retention and lots of lacing on the glass. Body is opaque, the color of black coffee, and only lets light through at the edges.

S - Aroma is roasted malt and coffee.

T - A bit like black coffee, with more alcohol and citrus in the finish than cream or sugar.

M - Medium body, little carbonation.

D - This beer smells nice and looks impressive, but the finish wasn't quite what I expected. I like the coffee, but there's a lot of citrus and acidity and maybe not enough roasted malt to balance. This porter is pretty drinkable, but I think the finish is lighter than I'd like it to be.

03-29-2009 02:48:13 | More by dmortens
OriginalHopHead

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%

I really liked this IPA although it's much smoother compared to regular IPAs I drink. Definitely sweet undertones; like coffee and chocolate but not overwhelming at all.
I'm a visual person too and I like the bottling, labeling, etc. However, I bought a single bottle and had no information on the beer at all. Usually like seeing some IBU info on the bottle.

10-08-2012 01:56:13 | More by OriginalHopHead
PhoenixShredds

3.86/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into Guinness Pub Pint glass.

A: Pours a thick, deep brown, near black. Under light it shows a hint of amber. Thin 1/2 finger head of mocha color which dissipates quickly.
S: Roasty with apparent coffee and chocolate character. Medium hops seem to add some earthiness.
T: Strong coffee-chocolate flavors, but also with a touch of oats-flavor. Med-hop bitterness balances the roasted malts and keeps it more complex.
M: Medium to full bodied with low-medium carbonation. It drinks fairly robust and a bit of a creamy tail.
O: A hearty porter with strong coffee and chocolate character. The Mocha in the name leads you expecting a bit more chocolate and sweetness, but still an enjoyable and robust beer. Plenty of roasted flavors were apparent, but the oat after-taste was a nice surprise and seemed to hint of unroasted malts, even if not actually present. I would drink this again, but not at the top of the list in this style.

02-06-2013 03:13:43 | More by PhoenixShredds
KLLG1021

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Reviewing this live as we speak.

Appearance is a dark, black coffee and oily mud. Poured into a pint glass, produces a strong taupe head that lingers then settles down. Smell is a nice dark rich coffee and dark chocolate. Tastes just like the nose, but intensifies with the robust coffee flavors, yet balanced by malts. Mouthfeel is heavy, but not over the top. Sits around on the palate for a while, then slowly fades away. Overall a great beer. I would definitely grab this again

09-29-2013 03:25:45 | More by KLLG1021
bjasvensk

Oregon

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

It's a rich taste, and if you like something dark w/a spot of mocha. It hits the spot. I'm a big fan of Rogue and what they brew. They are a big staple in Portland, adding to the rich history of micro brewing in beautiful Portland Oregon. Plus their Kobe Burger is delicious.

11-10-2008 19:03:49 | More by bjasvensk
Irishwallaby

Kentucky

4.45/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I poured this porter into a pint glass.
Aroma- Dark bodied beer with hints of amber color when the lights hit the other side of the glass. Short head on the beer, that was dark color and thin. Head disappeared quickly. Small bubbles appeared throughout the drinking of the beer.
Smell- Aroma poured out of the bottle faster than the beer did. You can actually smell the roasted mocha flavor. Strong aroma that prepares you for the taste of the beer, and suites the taste of the beer well.
Taste- Classic porter. First taste is a bit of hoppy note. Next, the chocolate/ mocha settles over your tongue and bubbles bring out the roast flavor in the beer. Crisp finish with little aftertaste. Not overbearing by any means.
Mouthfeel- Light mouthfeel, not a "thick" beer at all. Does not bog down your tongue. This porter gives a smooth feeling as your swallow.
Drinkability- I could easily sit and drink one after another. Not too heavy to enjoy more than one of these porter's in one sitting.

10-12-2010 21:40:49 | More by Irishwallaby
bpaugie06

Arizona

3.13/5  rDev -19.1%

Haven't had this in a while but I remembered not being floored by it. Similar impression today. Beautiful, thick, tan head with very nice lacing all the way down. Similar to other observations, I noticed a distinct metallic/musty smell. Pretty thin mouthfeel. The rich, malty, toasted barley flavor was the high point but it didn't last long and was eventually overtaken by the bitter coffee/mocha flavor. The coffee/mocha flavor made for an interesting taste during the first few sips but eventually it was all I noticed and boy did it linger: I still taste it now. I didn't note what I consider hops balancing out the beer but I am fairly new to analyzing complex tastes and don't quite notice all the subtleties yet. It might be well paired with a red meat as it is not too filling and bitter but I don't think I would have a craving for this like some other porters. It is an interesting beer at first, and I would drink it over some others, but it's not my first choice.

05-12-2011 07:08:25 | More by bpaugie06