Follow our progress ...

Reviews: 1,352 | Ratings: 2,820
4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Bomber Bottle Opened on May 18 2010
Served into a River Horse tumbler
Paired with short ribs - a very good combination to taste although not so much for my keyboard

Appearance and Smell - Dark at first but actually dark ruby red when held up to the light. Head is tan to brown with a red hue to it. Smells like coffee chocolate and a surprising amount of hops

Taste and Mouthfeel - pretty significant chocolate in there as well as the coffee, both flavors are pretty balanced against eachother. Theres also a pretty good sized hop note in there which i actually like. the finish is very much coffee with a hint of chocolate, thus mocha with that dark bitterness in there. Mouthfeel is on the fuller side with pretty good carbonation.

Drink - This pint disappeared pretty quick and the rest of the bottle is very soon to follow. Very good but not the best

Notes: I really enjoyed this beer but i dont know very much about darker beers to offer a good opinion just yet so ill have to have it again when i develop that range of my palette.

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

Light don't easily pass through the glass as the beer is a very dark brown one.
After pouring, a small brownish head appears, leaving laces on the glass.

The smell is that of strong roasted malt, covering almost any other smell.

At the taste is very bitter, with aromas of malt and coffee, while the aftertaste has a lot of liquorice. Carbonation is mild but still noticeable while drinking.

Though not an easy beer, it's still quite drinkable and a good example of what porters should be.

Small notice about the (nice) bottle design: mine had a white background instead of the black one displayed on the picture.

3.82/5  rDev -1.3%

This one poured dark and opaque with a light and fluffy head. I just had to poke my finger in it, causing the nice froth to deflate shortly after I did that.

It smelled like a smoky tootsie roll, with chocolate and malty notes. I also detected a nose of citrusy hops. When I first had a taste, the hops were pretty overpowering. Soon after, a chocolatey, coffee flavor came through, follower by a smoky flavor. At the finish of the beer, it was back to the bitterness of the hops again. Citrus, then mocha, then bitter. Pretty complex. This beer smells malty, but tastes hoppy to the last drop.

4.07/5  rDev +5.2%

Bottle purchased at Fat Heads in Pittsburgh and poured into a Guinness pint glass.

A: Solid black with a nicely colored tan head.

S: Smells like chocolate and coffee as one would expect with a brew called "Mocha Porter."

T: Tastes like burnt chocolate and coffee about how you would expect.

M: This is the weak point of this beer. Fairly weak to average mouthfeel for a porter. Almost feels to light or thin in my mouth.

D: Since the mouthfeel is very weak and the taste is very good, I could drink several of these in a sitting and not get sick of them. So overall drinkability is very high.

All in all, a fairly light porter that I would reccommend to anyone as a good entry-level porter.

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: Pours dark brown almost black. 1/2" gold colored head.

Smell: Malty with a hint of chocolate.

Taste: Malts are evident. Very little mocha flavor. No bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Heavy but smooth. No hint of carbonation.

Drinkability: Mild aftertaste but overall very drinkable.

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Looks nice. Black with a short head. Not too dark though. It has some paleness to it.

Has a slight hint of chocolate. Some dark roast. Also smells of grass and pine. Earthy.

Tastes good. Was expecting more flavor. Tastes like it smells but the flavors seem subdued. Tastes unusually grassy.

Very smooth and has a light body (light for a porter).

It's a good porter. But the chocolate/coffee taste could be stronger.

3.17/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured in a pint glass

Appearance: Nice dark chocolate brown. Thin head.

Smell: This area was a real disappointment. There was no discernible aroma from this porter. Now, I admittedly have a weak sense of smell, so I let my wife take a whiff. Her nose is hyper-sensitive. Again nothing.

Taste: Nice coffee and chocolate flavors, some hops, but the finish is weak.

Mouthfeel: Perhaps a little over-carbonated with some nice chewiness.

Drinkability: Though the abv is slightly high (just over 5%), I would consider this a good session beer. It is easy on the palate and fairly well balanced.

Overall: I feel as though I needed a lot more time to let this beer warm up. It was entirely too cold and I feel as though much of the flavor may have been masked.

3.13/5  rDev -19.1%

A: Very dark brown, almost black. Two finger tan head.

S: Appropriately named since it has a nice chocolately mocha smell. Malty as well.

T: Quite sour up front and an interesting aftertaste that is slightly smoky.

M: Somewhat runny, almost what I would call watery.

O: I'll admit my experience with porters is somewhat limited, but this beer was only so-so for me. It wasn't bad, but the watery feel and sour taste didn't thrill me. I would drink it again, but I wouldn't buy it again.

2.61/5  rDev -32.6%

I've only had a few Rogue beers before, this being my most recent. I had been putting off trying it because I haven't liked many of their beers except for their stouts. This beer was no acception, it was an over hopped and coffee lacking mocha porter. You dont get much coffee taste in it, a lot of bitter hops. Not well rounded at all, tried it at room temp and cold. Both were no good, nothing spectacular here.

3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

Out of the bottle it ran, dark. The color of espresso with a head somewhat lighter in color and somewhat less uniform but thicker and much longer lasting. Alcohol barely noticable,the beer smelled unexpectedly and faintly of berries. Bitterness was the prevailing flavor that lasted to the bitter, dry end. This beer drank unexpectedly. It flouted its darkness yet went down like a much lighter beer. Thus, it drank easily as well, its bitterness overcome by its unusual lightness of body.

3.25/5  rDev -16%

Poured jet black with a coffee colored inch high head.

Smelled faintly of chocolate, not near as much rogues chocolate bomb stout.

Taste was decent, coffee and chocolate notes. I could taste a tartness that seemed a little overpowering. I have had a few meals with the beer and for some reason when drank with food, this beer tastes a heck of a lot better. The tartness goes away, and i can even taste more chocolate.

Mouthfeel is a little bubbly. A little too bubbly for this style.

the tartness makes this a little tough to down more than one.

I recommend eating with the beer.

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured out with a nice tan head that seems to hold. Dark. Looks like a porter should.

I love the smell. Then again I love coffee. A little bit of smoke, dark chocolate, and alcohol.

The taste is quite bitter. Think dark rather than milk chocolate. I found myself wishing there was a touch more creamy sweetness, but there's definitely some good stuff going on. I managed to find a little caramel. The coffee taste really hits after the initial bitterness.

I found my mouth to be a little sticky after swallowing. I enjoyed the brew. Thanks Rogue!

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours deep black, but not motor oil black. Aromas are wonderful. Coffee? Chocolate? Yes...it's in there.

Taste is incredible. Very evident coffee and chocolate flavors. Very smooth for a porter style beer. Not bitter, very chewy and enjoyable.

This one is hard to find, but well worth purchasing if you can locate it.

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I'll start off by saying I bought a 6-pack of Dead Guy Ale and was surprised when i got home to find that someone had swapped one of the bottles for a Mocha Porter at the grocerie store.

I'm not a big fan of Porter's and Stouts but I do enjoy them on occasion.

This particular brew pours a deep dark brown/black color with a coffee colored head that remains about 2 finger-widths for some time.

The scent of coffee grinds, malts, soil and chocolate are extremely identifiable.

The front end of the sip is rushed by a nice flavor of alcohol and a subtle sweetness. The back end leaves you with a stale coffee taste in your mouth. It's not my favorite beer in the world but I quite like it for what it is.

3.83/5  rDev -1%

poured into a pint glass this beer has the appearance of of a tall glass of coffee with some hints of red. The head dissapates rather quickly but was a finger tall. The head was tan and enticing. The smell is that of any coffee porter chocolate, coffee, and sweet. Mouthfeel is thick, not quite whole milk thick but 2% definately. Lacing is minimal. Taste sweet cocoa up front hint of coffee but a bitter finish that sticks for a few seconds. Not my favorite coffee porter but wouldn't dare turn it down.

3.51/5  rDev -9.3%

A - Pours black with a big, foamy, cream colored head. Lots of lacing.

S - Clean chocolate malt but not much else.

T - Chocolate and cream on the nose preceed the hop bitterness and a smidge of coffee. I'm not sure what's going on with this one but I am not picking up on much coffee at all.

M - Medium body, creamy and smooth. This along with a good level of carbonation make for an excellent mouthfeel.

O - This is a good beer but not great. I have to say that I was expecting a bit more, especially in the 'mocha' department. The mouthfeel and creaminess are wonderful but it's lacking in depth of flavor.

3.89/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle in Amarillo, Smooth porter a little light on the expected chocolate tones you would expect. Rich and bittersweet with most of the choc taste coming from the malt. Fairly mellow mouthfeel maybe thinner than I would like in a porter. Nice dark brown appearance with long lasting tan head.

3.72/5  rDev -3.9%

poured one finger head into 20oz.pint glass.very dark brown almost black.zero light through the glass.chocolate in smell.taste was good and the chocolate comes out up and around the roof of my mouth.a little light when it came to mouthfeel.i could drink about three of these and that would be it.all in all a good beer with flavor.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

The beer poured an opaque deep brown shade with rust colored highlights and produced a nice thick tan colored head. The head subsided to a thin pad, leaving splotchy lacing about the glass. I was hoping for a bit more head retention...The initial aroma of the beer is hoppy - a mostly piney scent with subtle citrus tones. The spiceyness of the hops does not linger, however. The aroma is also rich with roasted malt and chocolate notes. Roasted malt and bittersweet chocolate dominates the flavor, but there is also a hint of coffee. Burnt notes are also intermingled. The hops do not come through in the flavor quite as much as in the aroma, although the flavor is still pleasantly bitter and finishes dry and clean. Overall, the flavor profile is quite balanced. Solid medium-full bodied beer is almost a bit chewy. Maintained carbonation well but seems almost a bit more effervescent than should be for the style - although it does aid in smoothing out the body and bitterness. All in all, a good porter and worth trying.

4.44/5  rDev +14.7%

I found a single bottle of this beer for sale. I'll definitely be going back for a six-pack in the future.

Almost two inches of head, reducing to beautiful lacing.
Such an amazing smell. I picked up on the coffee and chocolate right off the bat.
This beer is definitely worthy of the title "Mocha". Huge chocolatey presence.
The mouthfeel is a best of both worlds of sorts. Starts off sweet and smooth early and gets a bit bitter and "dark chocolate" reminiscent toward the end.
I'm impressed!

4.29/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

When I first poured the Rogue Mocha Porter into my Irish pint I was a little worried as it appeared a little lighter than I like my porters. Once I took my first drink everything was set right. Very rich and smokey flavors came through, the aroma of barley and dark chocolate hit my nose. It has a full-bodied flavor as it coats the mouth. Going down the gullet it feels rich and complex.

Not as complex and bitter and Founders Porter, or even Bell's Porter, Rogue has still made a wonderful porter that tastes as sophisticated as it does delicious.

3.34/5  rDev -13.7%

Cold, poured from a bottle into a snifter

Appearance: Dark brown, almost black color, pours with a half-inch tan head which disappears quickly. Lacing clings down the side of the glass.

Smell: Malty & roasty with hints of dark chocolate and caramel.

Taste: Light carbonation, medium body,

Mouthfeel: Nice aroma of espresso and nuttiness lingers for a while. Nothing much of any mocha or chocolate as the name implies. The finish is dry but creamy.

Overall
The mocha name is a little misleading as I was hoping it would be in the taste. It's slightly on the too-hoppy side of how I like porters but not nearly as bad as an Anchor.

3.51/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a deep dark black with a tan head that sits there quite a while.
Has a light chocolate caramel aroma to it.
Full and creamy on the palate, with lively carbonation. Has a mixture of chocolate, coffee and caramel taste to it. Very creamy.
This is a pretty good porter, but didn't surprise me with anything I haven't tasted before. Maybe a little too much carbonation for me.

3.49/5  rDev -9.8%

22oz Bomber bottle

A: excellent, very deep brown, nearly black; pours with a wonderful tan head that slowly dissipates; very nice lacing

S: mostly malty and chocolate, something slightly off about the chocolate notes

T: very quality porter, but difficult to pick up on the mocha; mocha is very residual, doesn't come out until slightly after a sip

M: good, nicely carbonated which brings out a little bite to balance against the malts

D: complexity of the mocha flavor requires a slow drink to really enjoy, makes for a nice nightcap

I'm usually partial to Bell's and Southern Tier porters and stouts, and this was the first Rogue porter I sat down to review while I drank; a pretty good beer, but not quite at the top of my rotation

3.57/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

You can always count on Rogue ales for a good brew. Here you have a dark beer that pours with a thin foamy head. Aroma is roasty with hints of mocha. Taste is rich with roasted malt. Overall, this isn't my favorite of Rogue's lineup, but it is pretty awesome, nonetheless.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales