Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a deep brown-black with a luscious coffee coloured head. Head retention isn't great but lacing is okay.

Fruity aromas team up with hints of chocolate and coffee. Not great as it is a bit weak.

Tastes are light with good emphasis on the coffee and bits of chocolate. An okay malt backbone but overall it seems to be a little lacking.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin but carbonation is good overall and it works reasonable well with this beer.

Overall a reasonably tasty brew with reasonable flavour but it lacks depth and intensity.

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

A- A nice dark opaque brown with about two inches of tan head that retain and lace well.

S- Not getting too much here. Some sweet malt with a hint of chocolate and coffee. Smells sweet and clean.

T- Coffee, chocolate, pale malt in the background. A bit of a menthol-like cooling sensation as well (phenols?). Reminds me a bit of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Finish is a bit hoppy, while also sweet from the malt. Well-balanced and interesting.

M- A bit dry on the finish, wet and coating in the mouth. A bit thin, IMO.

D- Can move through this one pretty quick. A good and enjoyable porter.

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance: Pours dark brown/black with a nice frothy tan head that has nice lacing.

Smell: Roasted toasted malt and nuts, caramel, touch of chocolate.

Taste: Just like the smell but not too sweet (which I like).

Mouthfeel: Nice astringent bite, watery.

Drinkability: Full of flavor but drinks as easy as water. There's no overwhelming hops or heaviness, it's not too sweet, and easy to drink as much of this great beer as you want.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

It seriously looks like there is tan colored whipped cream on top of this beer. Incredible retention. The entire inside of the glass if covered in fairly thick lace. The beer is a very dark brown and looks is opaque. I really don't even see lighter colors at the edges. Very, very dark.

Aroma is very light with slight mocha aroma.

Fairly dry flavor. When I think Mocha I think of a subtle sweetness melding the chocolate and coffee flavors. My first reaction was that there wasn't enough sweetness. Later the sweetness seemed to open up a bit, but there was still a real graininess to the flavor. The roasted flavor was nice and smooth. I'm not getting as much coffee flavor as I had thought. More of a straight roasted malt flavor.

Mouth feel is medium bodied and them smooth...

This is a pretty good porter, but one of the few beers that I wish had a hint more sweetness for balance.

Glad I tried it.

3.05/5  rDev -21%

Serving type-bottle poured into a snifter.

A-Thin tan head that quickly dissapates. Dark complection with appearance of high carbonation.

S-Sweet coffee and chocolate, earthy.

T-Starts out more smokey sweet than I was expecting with burnt coffee beans on the forefront with bitterness from the dark chocolate. To me, the smokiness overpowers the coffee and doesn't provide for a very good balance. I was hoping for more coffee than this. There is a high amount of carbonation here.

M-Again, high carbonation makes this less enjoyable than it could be. Feels thin.

D-I'm disappointed with the balance and the overpowering smokiness. Just not my style of a porter.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

A- Dark brown with a little bit of light squeezing through. Thin tan head, nice lacing.

S- Roasted malts, semi sweet chcocolate, coffee and carmel and molasses hints

T- Dark roasted malts, carmel, coffee, semi sweet chocolate and roasted nuts

M- Smooth and dcent carbonation. Could have been a little more creamy.

D- Enjoyable porter with some unique flavors.

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Pazzo's in Lexington. 20oz draft.

A: Deep, opaque brown body with a thick, rocky, milk chocolate-colored head. Just the slightest bit of lacing attempts to cling to the sides.

S: A mild, roasted coffee aroma followd by some dark chocolate. Really, thats about all I got out of the nose. I was kinda underwhelmed, but we were in a restaurant/pub so there were alot of other things in the air - fresh baked pizza for example!

T: Mild roasted coffee followed by a dash of dark chocolate and a faint smoky flavor. Malt backbone holds firm throughout, with a mild sweetness and some residual roasted flavors. Really, I was expecting more mocha/chocolate flavors to be present - what was there just seemed really subdued to me. And this was my first beer of the evening, so I know it wasn't due to my palate not being fresh.

M: Medium carb that is prickly and lends an edge; otherwise, hard pressed to call this beer thick or thin - its right in the middle really.

D: Not hard to drink at all, but I think I would probably prefer a coffee or a chocolate stout (Young's Double Chocolate, anyone?) if I wanted to get a mocha or coffee fix from my beer.

Not bad, I was just kind of underwhelmed by this beer, and I really love and try to seek out most beers that feature prominent mocha, chocolate or coffee flavors. That being said, there are many others out there that have more vibrant flavor profiles IMO.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

-beer looked nice
-not a ton of smell, but decent
-the mocha flavors were subtle, but you could definitely distinguish both coffee and chocolate. i liked it, but it didn't wow me
-in and out without much residue
-could definitely drink more, but not a top 10 porter or anything

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

poured into a rogue tumbler, this is a VERY appetizing looking porter. with a 1 finger head that slowly recedes to a thin layer, leaving a sporadic lace down the side of the glass, the body of the beer looks formidable and delightful. all of this beer's color stays true to both the mocha and the porter. the head is mocha in color and holding it up to a light, just a shade of dark reddish brown shows through in the thinnest parts of the glass.

smells nice and light. roasted malts, brown sugar and the slightest hint of chocolate. all of which give way to a wonderful taste of all of the above with a bitter coffee bite to finish things out. the "mocha" in this is not at all overbearing, as some may think about rogue's chocolate stout. it's really a nice balance!

mouthfeel for me is just a BIT off. this is definitely a bit more creamy than I would have liked. it's not bad necessarily, just a bit much for me.

definitely a very drinkable porter overall. almost a desert beer, but not quite. I could drink plenty as the ABV is entirely tolerable.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

I am not a coffee drinker, so please keep that in mind when reading my notes.

A - dark brown thin but creamy head

S - roasted coffee and bitter chocolate with a burnt overtone

T - three flavors jump out at me in this order, burnt, coffee, roasted nuts

M - a little metallic, lighter body than I predicted, leaves a lingering burnt coffee taste.

D - To me this was below the line of acceptability in terms of drinkability.

Overall I'd say that this is an ambitious attempt from one of my very favorite breweries. Coffee drinkers might love it but I sure don't. Not of of Rogues gems, of which there are many.

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

pours very dark mahogany with deep red edges when held to light. nice frothy tan head that holds together fairly well. nice lacing. smells like roasted coffee beans, and just a tad fruity sweet (dates? prunes?). tastes coffee-like, malty and burnt caramel/chocolate....about as advertised. not bad, but nothing out of this world. mild carbonation and smooth mouthfeel, and fairly thick. not a bad beer at all, though not the best from rogue. i would recommend giving it a go, but one i probably won't be craving any time soon.

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

This beer pours a dark,ruddy,murky brown colour which is very well carbonated and leaves a nice three finger cappicino laced head that slowly dissapates to a nice frothy mound shape in the glass and leaves nice sticky lacing all down the glass,it has nice aromas of chocolate,coffee and sweet roasted malts,it has a full mouthfeel which gives you lots of coffee,chocolate tastes and has a nice bittersweet afterfinish i like it, a very nice beer indeed the use of such sweet malts and the hops they used is just perfect to make this beer not that sweet yet moreish definately one of my favourite beers from the rogue range.

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Chilled bottle into a glass at a friend's house. She knows I generally don't care for Rogue, so she always makes a point of getting some when I visit. Damn it.

A: Pours a dark brown that is opaque in the center and lightly translucent at the edges of the glass. Has a couple of inches of tan head that retreat to half an inch. Retention is indefinite, and the head looks nice throughout the drink. Good lacing too.

S: Coffee, chocolate, caramel, roasted malt, earth, and hops (pine).

T: Not quite as hoppy as I expected. I'm not a huge fan of hops in my stouts and porters. The coffee/dark chocolate blend is very forward, and it leans toward the bitter side. Caramel and roasted grains are noticeable while the beer is cold, as is an earthy finish, but it becomes more straightforward bitter chocolate / coffee / roast / with a pine hop and tea-like finish as the beer warms. I kind of prefer the cold flavor.

M: Medium-bodied, with high carbonation. The bubbles are a bit off-putting.

D: This is one of the better Rogue beers I've had. I could see myself getting a sixer down the line. Would not mind having it again.

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours dark brown, clear and nearly opaque. There's a moderate latte colored head that recedes into nice lace. Roasted barley in the aroma, what one would expect from a porter. You get a bite from the carbonation up front, a bit of alcohol in the middle and some sweetness and hints of burnt coffee in the finish. I've had this before and remember better.

3.9/5  rDev +1%

12 oz. bottle at Winking Lizard last night. Review from notes. Poured by me into a clean, clear pint glass.

A Dark Dark body with medium brown head. 4.0

S Nice strong porter with a coffee and chocolate background. Dark roasted sweet malt as well. Exactly as advertised and I appreciate that. 4.0

T Smell carries right over into the taste. Nice dark roasted malt, coffee and chocolate notes with a nice sweetness that is nicely balanced by other tastes. 4.0

M A nice smoothness greets the taster while enjoying all of the tastes described above. This is a big beer overall though. 4.0

D One and done for me but I enjoyed every drop. 3.5

Notes: Nice, enjoyable beer that delivers exactly what is suggested by the name, style.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Deep dark brown with a large tan head. Head lasts forever and leaves lots of lace on the glass.

S- Chocolate, roasted malt, caramel, and an earthy undertone.

T- Malty and earthy, notes of coffee, dark bitter chocolate, and a dry finish.

M- More than medium in body but not overly heavy. Decent carbonation, smooth and creamy feel with a lingering dry earthy finish.

D- Pretty drinkable and at 5.3% ABV the alcohol doesn't show through.

Unusual finish, left me thirsty for more.

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured a nice, dark black with a nice brown head. Nose was sligthly chocolate and mocha. Taste was mocha, very light, expecting more flavor on this. Taste increased as it warmed up. Mouthfeel was nice and smooth, a little roasty and the ABV was nice.

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

Wow, quite a tasty brew. i need to order this again sometime, as well as alot of rogue's other beers. All you need to know is that this has great flavor to it. Tastes just as the name implies. I was impressed at the drinkability of this for the amount of floavor it had. If you like porters, or chocolaty/coffee type beers you really need to drink this.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Medium light tan head that really hangs on. Aroma of malt, nothing surprising there. Nicely balanced flavors, pleasant carbonation. Dark roast coffee with a touch of bittersweet chocolate. Overall one of the best tasting porters I've had.

4.8/5  rDev +24.4%

On-tap into pint glass @ Birreria Paradiso in DC.

Pitch black with a one finger light brown head. Rings of solid lacing along the glass. Lots of roasted malts and some mocha coffee bean. Burnt malt in the flavor, along with some bitter chocolate. The mocha coffee makes a pretty strong presence. There is an overall creaminess to the beer in the background. Full bodied.

Quite an enjoyable porter, and the mocha is a nice touch. Probably the gold standard of mocha porters. Recommended.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

I'm always interested on what Rogue has to offer.. so when I spotted a Rogue's Mocha Porter at a Whole Foods Market in Orlando I picked it up.

This one poured well. A dark amber black with a coffee colored head. The head recedes to a small ring of foam..no lacing to be found on the way down.

The smell is nice .. caramel sweetness, chocolate and coffee. My first few gulps had lots of chocolate but after that the taste is dominated by bitter coffee. There is some complexity but it's hard to find in all that bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the poor side.. heavily carbonated and rather uninteresting. I could see this being more drinkable in the winter but right now (prime summer).. it's just not in the cards.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured into my test mug

A- Dark brown, almost black. Very little light gets through. Fluffy tan head, disappears fairly quickly. Looks very inviting.

S- Smells like coffee, smoky malts, and a hint of chocolate. This is one I love to stick my nose in.

T- Taste follows the smell closely. Lots of coffee and a smoky/burnt taste. There is a hint of bitter chocolate in there too. Finishes with a taste of hops and a slight bitter aftertaste, just enough to balance the other flavors.

M- Very smooth, carbonation was a bit above medium. It felt just right for this beer.

D- This one didn't stay in the mug long. I would love to put a few of these away, and at 5.3% abv, it wouldn't knock me over. I'll definitely have to explore porters some more.

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%

From notes...

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint

The head poured tan, 2 finger thick. Left alone to settle the head left impressive lacing with a thin but persistent cap. The beer itself was dark brown with hues of red.
The smell had hints of roasted coffee, mocha, floral hops, and something I can't quite put my finger on though I'm fairly sure I have smelt it in other Rogue beers. It almost has an ocean/ beach quality to it. The yeast perhaps?
The taste led off with a blast of carbonation followed by the mocha coffee malt backbone. The hops follow soon after and take you through to the dry finish. The aftertaste has a mocha hop resiny feeling to it.
The feel is a bit light though I wouldn't call it watery. Carbonation may be dialed up a hair too much but nothing serious. Like most porters they can be drank in pairs before it's time to move on.

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Pours almost black with some dark ruby red highlights in the light. Nice dark head stays with you until the end.

S: Smell is of chocolate and coffee. Not a lot there... just enough to notice.

T: Chocolate and coffee is there as well... more coffee than anything. Very noticeable bitterness to this one. A dry finish with the bitterness sticking it out a little.

Overall a nice porter. I was hoping more for the mocha, but you mostly just get coffee. This would be perfect with just bit more chocolate and a creamier mouth feel.

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

A dark brown not much light got through, light brow two finger head not much retention

S everything was kindof week faint coffee and dark malts

T enjoyable but lacking in a way i think i just like my beers overly flavorfull this was on the mellow side

M thin but creamy

D good might try it again but for now there are others i like more

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales