Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,636 | Reviews: 1,334
4.38/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - dark and opaque with a thick tan head, very enticing.
S - roasted and of course chocolate malts galore
T - strong coffee flavor accompanied loaded with chocolate and carmel flavors, just a supurb brew.
M - low carb and good body
D - delicious, don't pass this one up. I only wish I could brew something with this much flavor.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Mocha Porter pours a dark brown with very little head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is pretty hoppy, particularly for a porter, chocolate and coffee notes are also present. Taste is very enjoyable, nice mix of hops with coffee and chocolate flavors. Always nice to revisit this one. Recommended.

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

A very dark brown to a black color. When held up to the dim bar lights rubyish brown colors come through. A small head that dissipates. Smell is of sweet malt with roastiness and some chocolate flavors. Taste similar, but with a bit of hop flavor joining the party. The chocolate taste pulls through strong with a bit of coffee. Mouthfeel was right on medium. I had a couple of these and could have kept on going. Quite a tasty beer. I would think of it as desert

3.94/5  rDev +2.1%

Even for a porter, the Rogue Mocha pours a tremendously opaque brown, almost black. A thin, but uniformly solid tan head with minimal fragrances, mostly malt but with the faintest touch of cocoa also present.

The taste really built with every subsequent sip. The first provided a smooth, smokey, but otherwise unremarkable flavor. The second opened up the chocolate & the following drinks sustained these notes with the additional presence of tobacco & maltiness making for an exceptionally well-rounded porter.

The carbonation & thickness are just perfect as porters go, making for a supremely drinkable liquid. And as usual, the holywater used by Rogue prevents any lingering aftertaste to ruin the experience. A great beer.

3.61/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I love the way porters usually look, but this one seems something special. 2 fingers of nice tan head with a souffle top, that never quite disappears. A decent lace. One becomes aware of the deep red-brown glow after realizing that it is not in fact completely opaque. Smell is pretty standard, yet very well balanced. Burnt, chocolatey-coffee (as one might expect) is the big presence here, tending towards a more earthy smell. The taste on the front is very nice. Well balanced, malty, chocolatey, almost like an oatmeal stout. The back is not quite as nice. It tends to be a bit astringent, with a pithy and over-burnt taste overriding. The aftertaste follows this lead. The mouthfeel is good all around, quite smooth and full, except that it leaves a bit of a dry chalky feeling after all is said and done. All in all, I'd want to review this beer twice, once for its character on the front of the palate, and once for the back. I didnt actually get alot of mocha out of this beer. In a word: Good, not great

3.71/5  rDev -3.9%

My first Rogue and will not be my last.
Pours out like a root beer with a slight reddish brown tint. The bubbles stay with you and hang around the edge of the glass.
You smell chocolate and coffee hops and mabey apple/orange.
Slightly bitter at first taste but the flavors of the chocolate and coffee come through soon after. Mouthfeel is a mixture of carbonation and bitter hops with a slight oily feel.
There are better porters but this one isn't bad.

3.86/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another good, solid beer from the folks at Rogue. This beer pours a very dark brown color with a very tall and foamy tan head that sticks around for quite awhile and eaves some nice lacing as well. Aromas of dark chocolate and roasted coffee. the taste is pretty much the same as the smell with some malt thrown in as well. The taste also needs to be stronger IMO. The taste is very well balanced, but it is a bit too weak for my palate. It has a nice frothy and smooth mouthfeel with light to moderate carbonation. This might very well be the most drinkable porter I have had up to this point. This is a very good beer that could become even better.

Eric

3.46/5  rDev -10.4%

Rogue--another west coast brewery that I generally know to aviod in fear of my mouth shriveling from excessive northwest hops. But I had to try this one--it's a porter....pours nearly black with rubied highlights in the light and around the edges. A foamy molases tinted head...standard fare here, the head holds, good stuff. Smell is really northwest hoppy and resinous. A narrow aroma profile, not one that invites me to taste and enjoy. Taste is smooth up front, creamy, with a dry roasty, unsweetened chocolate and powdered cocoa flavor making a strong showing, good f lavors here and unique. The hops are certainly there in the finish and intense, but the malt has good character and holds up. Finishes dry. Mouthfeel is tangy carbonation, medium-full in body. On par--not a watery porter. Drinability wise, it's kind of drying, and it has some noticable bitterness, thought it is a great version. The northwestern hops really competed once I started drinking it alongside a burger which is not uncommon for when I'm drinking a good porter. But here, the beers body was overshadowed and now I was tasting just the hops, which competed with the food and was disapointing. Would be better with really spicy meat or bean burritos maybe. So this is a stand alone-drinker due to the excessive love for northwestern hops. Glad I had one.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours that nice dark reddish color with a nice inch head that is very sticky and adds to the complexity of the brew. Smell is of chocolate with espresso and other coffee fragrance. Taste is of Bitter sweet malt with a mouthfeel of chocolate coffee. I prefer to drink this after a nice meal prefebly some type of meat.

Big, bold, deep mahogany color, topped with a tan head that unfortunately settled down to a skim quicker than I had hoped.

Smell is of baker's chocolate and coffee. Dry and roasty with a sweet malt base. No hops are perceptable. I expect a dry, but semi-sweet brew.

I was right, but it's even drier than expected. Quite a bit of roasted barley was used in this brew. After the swallow, a nice expresso coffee flavour.

Mouthfeel is on the heavy side, but carbonation is agreeble. Quite nice mouthfeel and pretty good drinkability.

4.27/5  rDev +10.6%

It has an average porter appearance and head. I have seen darker porters, but I was very impressed by this one.

I was very pleased by the light coffee and chocolate notes on the first sip with a very good finish. It is a nice beer to finish a long meal. I have yet to be disappointed by this brewery.

3.92/5  rDev +1.6%

Decided to give this one a whirl recently, since American Porters are one of my favorites.

It had a fairly typical look, considering it's porter nature, deep brown to black in appearance. My sample being of the bottle variety may have had something to do with the head retention being kind of disapointing. It didn't pour off and leave much of anything, but a bit of lacing around the edges.

I always say that this is the sense I'm least adept in. I didn't notice any off sents or particularly noticable characteristics. A bit of a malty-nutty nature not unlike an iced cappachino.

The taste however was solid, definitely had the malted coffee and chocolate nature that is intended in this style.

Mouthfeel was solid and a bit heavier, which was desirable and of course expected, but not so much that it was difficult to drink during a summer day.

I would definitely like to try this beer again on draft to see what the differences would be, but for me this beer is average. I liked it and I would have it again, but I've had other Porters that I enjoyed more.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Had this in my fridge and thought I'd give it a whirl. Pours a nice deep brown color that turns almost blood red when held up to the light. Smells like roasted malt and strong coffee - very nice, reminds me of my days at the coffeehouse. Taste is excellent - coffee, dark chocolate, and a nice crisp finish. Great stuff.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

This one pours a very mahogany dark brown with a nice rocky head that sticks to the glass the whole way down. It smells of roasted malts, dark chocolate, yeast, and slightly hoppy. It tastes nice and chocolatly with some dark roasted coffee flavors. It finishes very dry and pleasing with a nice after taste. I would most likely drink this as a after dinner beer. Definatly a beer I would reccomend and definatly one of my more enjoyable porters.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

Served in a standard 16 oz pint glass @ the Rogue Alehouse in San Francisco. Great representation of the style with a black body and tannish creamy head. The smell was dark cocoa beans and freshly gound coffee. The taste was just what the aroma advertised. Thick creamy mouthfeel and delicious coffee robustness dominated the aftertaste. Porters are my favorite and this one did not disappoint. Dead Guy Ale is one of the few Rogue beers I can get locally, but I'll be on the lookout for the Mocha Porter.

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

Rogue Mocha Porter 12oz bottle.

Pitch black with a light brown somewhat creamy head. As you hold it up to light it doesn't remain pitch black but contains ruby highlights throughout. Thick 3-finger head with aggressive pour but it dwindles pretty fast.

I smell some faint hops and roasted malt.

Taste has a pronounced bitterness on the front end, and fades into roasted chocolate in the aftertaste. Hops linger in the post-post-aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is a little slick, medium-heavy body, fair carbonation.

Excellent porter, with a little more bitterness than I've seen in other porters but in my opinion that doesn't detract from it one bit. You'll want another one if you like porters.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

A deep brown color with a light brown head. Two fingers of head yielded after it was poured into my 650ml Family Guy mug. Went from filmy foam to ring-o-foam at the end of the beer. The smell was a mix of hoppy coffee and baker's chocolate. Flavor was similar to the smell. With more of a bitter chocolate start, a smokey coffee middle, and a roasted mocha, vanilla, kona, hop finish.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Pours a dark brown/black in color, some carbonation, nice small head, tons of lacing throughout the drink.

S - Scents of malts, toffee/caramel, and some slight yeast.

T - The taste is sweet and malty, with a nice flavor of coffee. Nice dry finish.

M - Medium body.

D - Very drinkable. This is an awesome little brew from Rogue, definitely will recommend to others.

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

12 oz bottle for $1.49 at World Market

A: Pours black in the glass, but when held up its really just a deep brown. Lots of creamy tan head that leaves big lacing on the glass.

S: Smells mostly of roasted malts and some hints of dark chocolate.

T: Not enough coffee for it to be called "Mocha." The taste is the malts first, then the chocolate comes through, and it finishes bitter. Very bitter.

M: What you'd expect from a porter.

D: I would be able to drink a few of these at a time, which is a good quality for a porter.

Nice try by Rogue, but it doesn't measure up to Bell's or GLBCs Edmund.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown almost black color with a huge 3 finger head as thick as a foam pillow. The retention is amazing! Super heavy lacing.

Smell: Roasted malts and dark chocolate

Taste: Smooth and soft on the front end. As it enters the mouth it is easy malty and light but the flavors build quickly. The mid is very roasty and has strong suggestions of coffee, mocha, and mint (hop character) the finish is a dark bitter\sweet burnt chocolate espresso flavor that is very large; then it has an almost minty mocha aftertaste. Terrific! Makes me want my favorite ice cream, Mint Chocolate Chip.

Mouthfeel: Creamy creamy creamy!

Drinkability: I love this beer. I could drink it every day if only I could get it in 12ozers. This is the second one I bought and the first I reviewed. The last one disappeared quickly ;) Obviously it is a drinkable beer.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.9/5  rDev +1%

Shared a bomber of this with my brother last weekend. Poured halfs into oversized wine glasses. Dark brown, almost black in colour, but not quite opaque. Almost no head (a bit too cold since we were in a hurry to get to dinner), but what's there is a light mocha colour (surprise).

Aroma is somewhat faint -- bitter chocolate, mild winey alcohol, some coffee, and a bit of Coca Cola.

Taste is great, really enjoyed it. Buttery chocolate that gives way to a dry bitter cocoa and burnt wood aftertaste. Some espresso notes, and a definite hop presence. Slick mouthfeel and great body.

4.07/5  rDev +5.4%

I decided it would be good to go ahead and review this beer at the same time I used it to settle my nerves before game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. As I type, the NC Hurricanes are skating out onto the ice...

Poured into my Atlanta Brewing Company pint glass, it has an explosive tan head, shooting nearly to the top of the glass, then settling back. Progress slows at three fingers, but it's still going. Looks nice and black in the glass, but held to the lamp on my desk, it's a deep, rich burgundy colour.

(Hmmm...engineering student Holly Wilver is singing Oh, Canada... She makes me wish I'd gone into engineering. OK, hormones back in my pocket, let's get back to that beer...)

The smell is dark and sweet- molassases, yeast, almonds...a touch of hops...

(OK, faceoff...Carolina!)

The flavour right off is very smoky and chocolately. It fades at a decent rate, leaving a woody spiciness behind, which holds to the end. Rather pleasant.

Hearty liquid in the mouth, but a bit too carbonated for my taste. It's a high, loose carbonation.

(YAY! Carolina goal!!!)

Very drinkable. Maybe not the perfect mocha porter, but it goes down easily, and is complex enough to keep one interested. A good session beer, IMHO.

OK...now back to that game...I've seen the ratings on Stanley Cup in this market, and I may be one of two people watching....

Be well
-UF

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Pour was a thick and dark black with a nice creamy tan head.

Smell was of chocolate, toffee, carmel like and roasted coffee. Very inviting in the scent. Flavor is much the same sweet toffee and butter flavors with a tingle of chocolate and roasted malts with a coffee like taste. Very smooth with a compliment of hop bitter in there and leaves a dry semi-finish. Medium body with the carbonation. A very nice beer.

3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

This brew pours a black color. The head is very large for a porter, tan in color, and lasts forever. The aroma is of coffee and cream. Coffee is the first impression the taste gives, but it is quickly overpowered by a strong bitterness. This bitterness is too much for a porter for my liking. The mouthfeel is oily and medium bodied. Overall, I don't think I will be having this beer again as all of its elements are working agains each other instead of in harmony with each other.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured into the glass a deep dark brown color with ruby highlights. Head was a dense firm finger of tan colored foam. Lacing started thick and sticky.

Smell was sweet chocolate milk, rich caramel, dark roasted malts and buttery toffee.

Taste was a bittersweet mix of cocoa, coffee, dark toasted malt and a bit more hops than expected for the style. Bittering, dry finish.

Creamy milk-like mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation in a medium-heavy body.

It was drinkable, but a bit on the heavy side.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales