Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown almost black color with a huge 3 finger head as thick as a foam pillow. The retention is amazing! Super heavy lacing.

Smell: Roasted malts and dark chocolate

Taste: Smooth and soft on the front end. As it enters the mouth it is easy malty and light but the flavors build quickly. The mid is very roasty and has strong suggestions of coffee, mocha, and mint (hop character) the finish is a dark bitter\sweet burnt chocolate espresso flavor that is very large; then it has an almost minty mocha aftertaste. Terrific! Makes me want my favorite ice cream, Mint Chocolate Chip.

Mouthfeel: Creamy creamy creamy!

Drinkability: I love this beer. I could drink it every day if only I could get it in 12ozers. This is the second one I bought and the first I reviewed. The last one disappeared quickly ;) Obviously it is a drinkable beer.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.9/5  rDev +1%

Shared a bomber of this with my brother last weekend. Poured halfs into oversized wine glasses. Dark brown, almost black in colour, but not quite opaque. Almost no head (a bit too cold since we were in a hurry to get to dinner), but what's there is a light mocha colour (surprise).

Aroma is somewhat faint -- bitter chocolate, mild winey alcohol, some coffee, and a bit of Coca Cola.

Taste is great, really enjoyed it. Buttery chocolate that gives way to a dry bitter cocoa and burnt wood aftertaste. Some espresso notes, and a definite hop presence. Slick mouthfeel and great body.

4.07/5  rDev +5.4%

I decided it would be good to go ahead and review this beer at the same time I used it to settle my nerves before game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. As I type, the NC Hurricanes are skating out onto the ice...

Poured into my Atlanta Brewing Company pint glass, it has an explosive tan head, shooting nearly to the top of the glass, then settling back. Progress slows at three fingers, but it's still going. Looks nice and black in the glass, but held to the lamp on my desk, it's a deep, rich burgundy colour.

(Hmmm...engineering student Holly Wilver is singing Oh, Canada... She makes me wish I'd gone into engineering. OK, hormones back in my pocket, let's get back to that beer...)

The smell is dark and sweet- molassases, yeast, almonds...a touch of hops...

(OK, faceoff...Carolina!)

The flavour right off is very smoky and chocolately. It fades at a decent rate, leaving a woody spiciness behind, which holds to the end. Rather pleasant.

Hearty liquid in the mouth, but a bit too carbonated for my taste. It's a high, loose carbonation.

(YAY! Carolina goal!!!)

Very drinkable. Maybe not the perfect mocha porter, but it goes down easily, and is complex enough to keep one interested. A good session beer, IMHO.

OK...now back to that game...I've seen the ratings on Stanley Cup in this market, and I may be one of two people watching....

Be well
-UF

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Pour was a thick and dark black with a nice creamy tan head.

Smell was of chocolate, toffee, carmel like and roasted coffee. Very inviting in the scent. Flavor is much the same sweet toffee and butter flavors with a tingle of chocolate and roasted malts with a coffee like taste. Very smooth with a compliment of hop bitter in there and leaves a dry semi-finish. Medium body with the carbonation. A very nice beer.

3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

This brew pours a black color. The head is very large for a porter, tan in color, and lasts forever. The aroma is of coffee and cream. Coffee is the first impression the taste gives, but it is quickly overpowered by a strong bitterness. This bitterness is too much for a porter for my liking. The mouthfeel is oily and medium bodied. Overall, I don't think I will be having this beer again as all of its elements are working agains each other instead of in harmony with each other.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured into the glass a deep dark brown color with ruby highlights. Head was a dense firm finger of tan colored foam. Lacing started thick and sticky.

Smell was sweet chocolate milk, rich caramel, dark roasted malts and buttery toffee.

Taste was a bittersweet mix of cocoa, coffee, dark toasted malt and a bit more hops than expected for the style. Bittering, dry finish.

Creamy milk-like mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation in a medium-heavy body.

It was drinkable, but a bit on the heavy side.

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

On cask at the Public House in SF.

A: Black with mahogany traces when held to direct sunlight. Otherwise, jet black. A very dark beer. Thick frothy white head, abundant and surprisingly lasting for cask.

N: Heavily roasted. Coffee, chocolate, a hint of something bitter to come.

T: Tastes like a roasty mocha with drops of caramel and slight pine hops. Heavier on the coffee side of the mocha. A bit light on cocoa.

MF: Sweet front, medium body, mildly bitter finish. Highly astringent. Dusty. Very dry.

D: Average.

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a black opaque body with a light tan head that last and last. No sign of carbonation in that thick body.

S- The smell of dark malt with a sour note gives way to a faint green hop note that has an earthy quality to it.

T- A tart taste surrounds the taste of chocolate malt the blends with a black roasted malt flavor and a cream flavor that follows. The finish is a bright tart note and the dark malt hangs on the tongue after each sip.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel

D- There is to much tartness and it mask a lot of the nice malt flavors. It would be nice to have the malt flavors be the main focus with the cream notes supporting it instead of the tartness.

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

22 ounce silkscreened bottle. Pours deep brown with russet highlights and a sticky tan foam cap -- loud fizziness and big carbonated bubbles make it look like a soda. Soft aromas of cocoa powder and earthy hops. Dark malt flavors, initially, then a more sour, vinous taste creeps in to finish with an essence of dusty cocoa. Sour aftertaste lingers. Thinnish body. Not a bad porter, and better than many, but still a little unimpressive.

4.41/5  rDev +14.2%

Another nicely painted bomber.

I had to pull out one of their chocolate stouts as well (for a side-by-side comparison).

A: Ruby-black with a tan head (neither as dark as the chocolate stout). Great retention, awesome lace.

S: Rich, chocolatey malt with a hint of fruity esters (a little more British than American).

T: Chocolate, chocolate & more chocolate. Though not actually as chocolatey as the stout. There seems to be a little more fruityness than usual (from their pacman yeast). There's not much hop flavour... this one's about the malt. Very chocolatey, with a little more roasted flavour than expected (from a porter). Pleasant roasted bitterness. A little dark caramel & raisin, mainly dark, bitter chocolate.

M: Moderately full, malty bod, slightly chalky, moderate carbonation. Not as thick (or chalky) as their chocolate stout, but certainly some substance for a porter!

D: Very approachable & drinkable... but it's a little heavy to pound back.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I never thought I'd come across a 6 pack around here MORE expensive than Lagunitas, but that time has come regarding the new availability of Rogue's Mocha Porter. Still, for the most part with this brewery you get what you pay for, and it is far cheaper than the price of gas it would take for a quick jaunt over the border, all things considered.

Pours out an intense deep opaque black, light impermeable, with a large chunky tan head that eventually settles to still a pretty thick firm cap. A sticky coral reef web of lacing left behind. A more complex aroma than I anticipated, I expected to be overwhelmed by coffee given my last experience with this stuff. Roasted malt, toasted notes, some smokiness, and of course coffee beans, but they're kept in balance with everything else.

Big coffee on the first sip however, along with smoke, wood and earth. An inherent dryness throughout, but very apparent on the finish and lingering long into the aftertaste. Earthy dry roasted coffee pretty much sums up my overall impression of the tastes I'm experiencing. Granted I'm not a coffee drinker, or a huge fan of the stuff, but I can certainly appreciate what they've managed to accomplish with this porter, it's not half-assed by any means. The mouthfeel is silky smooth, but a bit on the lighter side than what one would expect from something with such a massive flavour profile, and simply for a porter. On the plus side it makes all even more deceptively drinkable for such a robust dry tasting ale.

Very enjoyable, and I shall play the good Samaritan and save some of these bottles to share with others who I know will enjoy the coffee-packed experience of this porter.

3.67/5  rDev -4.9%

From a 12oz bottle pours shiny black, immediate head forms then immediately disappears (ok?) I first sighed at the site of the huge head that was forming from a slow, careful pour. But like a small child, it was uncontrollably hyper and then just flat out crashed. No lacing even. Nose is fairly hoppy, though slightly repressed for Rogue. Hops a saving grace for the mouthfeel, lending it a slight crisp, bitter roundness in the mouth. Aroma otherwise relatively flat in contrast to other highly reviewed porters I've recently had. Mouthfeel a little over carbonated in my opinion. Almost, but not quite creamy. Average finish. Flavour becomes more syrupy than anything as it warmed. Taste like some coffee was stirred in there, but doesn't seem to genuinely blend into the beer. You can find some malt in there if you look. Still a nice beer, but fell a little inferior to other big name American porters and not one of my favourite offerings from this great brewer.

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

This good morning sunshine poured lovely and doo doo brown into my over huge pint glass. A super dope pour yielded a pillow cap head of fluffy and craggy cocoa tan. Easily an inch tall sprawl and with some true grit. Delicate shreds of lace adorn the glass. Prissy looking. The nose is chocolate heavy. Mocha I guess. There is even a little bit of hop sting underneath. Overall, light in olfactory stimulation. The finish is strikingly dry. The taste that comes before it is strikingly weak. Just some slight powdery chocolate followed by this pronounced bitter and dry ending. The coffee aspects only add to the bitterness while contributing little to the flavour. This feels severely unbalanced. Mouthfeel is light. Drinkability suffers due to the lopsided nature of this one. Alright.

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer is a dark brown color with a short but thick tan head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: Strong roasted coffee & chocolate malt aroma, as the name implies, along with some smokiness and a little bit of hops.

T: The smoked flavor hits first, then the sweet, roasted mocha-coffee taste, followed by a bitter dark chocolate & hops combination. The smoky flavor is what sticks around in the after-taste. I definitely wasn’t expecting such complexity, which is a pleasant surprise.

M: Rich and very smooth, with medium carbonation, medium body and a clean finish. It doesn’t leave the sticky or oily film that some other beers in this style can.

D: It’s tasty, smooth and goes down easy. Normally I take my time drinking a beer as I review it, but I found myself down to the last sip well before I finished typing the review. I could certainly make short work of a sixer, too bad I just bought one bottle (which is the only downside to mixing a six-pack in those liquor stores that allow it). However, it does seem possible that as you move through a sixer, it may fill you up just a bit. An excellent beer from Rogue. In comparing it within the style, I liked it a bit more the Stone Smoked Porter and the others that I’ve tried. I don’t smoke, but I would image this beer would go well with a cigar too.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

6-pack of 12 oz bottles purchased at Reservoir Wine and Spirits in Brighton. Poured into a pint glass.

Jet-black, with a quickly receding head. The smell isn't that strong, but what's there is coffee with a little bit of yeast. The taste is chocolately, with some coffee. It is very smooth and drinkable, but the body is not as full as I would have liked. It is a pretty good offering.

3.76/5  rDev -2.6%

beer pours a dark brown with a substantial head that leaves chunky lacing on the glass.

aroma is very faint roasted malt.

flavor is dominated by coffee and bittering hops, this really tastes more like a stout than a porter, and has just about the most coffee flavor of any beer i've ever tried.

mouthfeel is viscous and moderately carbonated, pretty nice.

overall, a pretty decent beer, nothing wrong with it although it doesnt blow me away like some of the other rogue beers. worth a try.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

The Rogue has come to Alberta finally, and this Mocha Porter came in the 6-pack. The label is simple and typically ugly/lovely according to your preference. It shows the Rogue gentleman with his fist in the air and a mug of beer in his hand. Right from the get-go I could tell the head was around for a solid and full experience. A dense and light chocolate/red-coloured foam gathers on top of an intensely dark brew, near solid ebony with hints of sapphire edges when held to light. A dark brew, in both liquid and foam. The head became chunky and left viscous lacing that stuck tenaciously. I like what I see so far. A sturdy porter aroma: roasty, a little salty and with plenty of meatiness akin to beef or ham. The difference here between Mocha Porter and some other local styles I have had seems to be the malting: this is less sourish and less smoky. The dark malts hint at more creaminess, more coffee. Very dry with hints of hot dog aroma. Some hopping in the back, barely detectable. Beef, fresh ground coffee, soft black licorice and some charcoal. Very appetising, if not exceptional compared to most porters I have sampled. Solid, not outstanding. The first sip reveals a very firm and dry body, with medium carbonation. The first taste is creamy dark malt, bordering on tobacco or licorice, followed by a middle and finish that are extremely dry. The hopping combined with the roasty malts really dominates the aftertaste, leaving a puckering bitterness. The hops are there, but only in presence--the flavour of them is hard to discern behind those malts. Youch. Some of the bitterest malting I have had in a beer. A lovely array of flavours, but the coffee taste really DOES dominate this beer. This is like chewing a mouthful of coffee beans and then having a sip of water. Reminds me of Yukon Brewing's Espresso Stout, with more dryness. Dark chocolate and coffee and charcoal. Actually not overly complex, but definitely not dispassionate: the flavour is exactly what one would expect--full on coffee bitters and dark malts. A wonderful porter, though I'll say it again, porter is never my first choice. Drinkable...to a point. Gets a little dry after a couple. Nice to have available, and something I would pick up again. Rogueish charm.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured very dark brown, looks black in the glass. The head is creamy, tan coloured and has some staying power. Looks good.

Ground coffee beans and roasted malt aromas are most prevelant. Toasted whole wheat bread also pops out for me. Decent, but I've smelled many that were more exciting.

The same coffee flavour from the smell slightly sweetened is first up in taste. From there it fills out with a faint creamy roasted malt and a touch of sourness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is fairly creamy with a nice understated carbonation. Can't ask for much more here.

This is quite a nice one. I am mostly through my second bottle, and if this beer was the only one around I wouldn't hesitate to have another.

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

Appearance – This beer is extremely dark, almost black, with slightly red shades around the edges of the glass when held to light. The head is tan and frothy. It leaves some lacing around the glass.

Smell – The smell is dominated by coffee and chocolate with the addition of roasted malt. Aromas aren’t as strong as I would have expected or liked though.

Taste – This beer reminds me of chocolate covered coffee beans. I used to love eating those as a kid. Espresso is all over the place here and it’s good. The roasted malts kick in strongly towards the end and are accompanied by a nice bitterness from the hops. Very pleasurable.

Mouthfeel – Carbonation was right and the body was somewhat creamy but at the same time could have used a little more viscosity. Good feel all in all though.

Drinkability – For a guy who likes coffee flavors this one is easy. Very smooth with pleasant flavors all around.

Glad I picked this up. It’s a solid Porter and makes me look forward to more from Rogue Brewing.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Another great one from Rogue! Pours dark, nearly black with slight ruby tones when held to the light. A decent tan colored head. Smells of smoky coffee, a dark roast! Chocolatey overtones. Thick mouthfeel but smooth. As the beer is left to sit the mocha taste becomes stronger and sweeter. Starts and remains slightly hoppy. I was expecting sweeter, especially after having had their chocolate stout, but I still liked the unique flavor. Goes down easily and leaves a delicious coffee aftertaste with the sweet mocha flavor being VERY subtle. This is a good one, I'll have it again, to be sure!

2.98/5  rDev -22.8%

Black as pitch, I expected Rogue's Mocha Porter to have a powerful smell and taste. The smell lacks. The mocha scent is there but it's more faint than I expected. The taste is a bit chalkier than expected too. It's almost more espresso than mocha. But it's not terrible. Generally smooth in the mouth, if a bit watery, at least more than I expected it to be. It's definitely drinkable, but nothing I'll rush out to get again. The overall theme of my review appears to be that my great expectations were not met.

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance: Opaque, coffee black with a latte-colored head composed of fairly big bubbles. Adequate retention.

Smell: Hmm.. hoppier than most porters I've enjoyed. The hops are citric, herbal, and floral - my first guess was Cascade, but the Rogue website indicates that it's a mix of Perle and Centennial. Other than that, there are sweet, toasty, chocolatey malts with hints of s'mores, milk, and brown sugar.

Taste: Underwhelming, but good. Malts are pretty sweet, but balanced out with a burnt coffee flavor and citric hops. The mocha flavor is pleasantly subdued, with just a touch of cocoa coming through. There's also a roasted peanut taste. Finish is fairly light and full of peanuts and coffee.

Mouthfeel: Full and creamy, tingly in the middle and syrupy at the end.

Drinkability: This is a very drinkable porter, but not the most flavorful. I recommend it, and could drink many more, but it's nothing to write home about.

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured a deep braown color with creamy tannish head. Left beautiful lacing on the side of the glass. Smell is minimal with a light roasted note detected but littl else. Taste is of roasted malt with some chocolate and coffee present. Strong hop bitterness is a bit overpowering and the beer is not well balanced. Finishes very dry and bitter and am unable to detect malt. An OK beer , but there are better examples of the style.

3.54/5  rDev -8.3%

Piney, grapefruit-hop like aroma, with hints of roasted malt, chocolate and espresso. Aromatically vibrant, but it's disappointly hop accented. Dark brown color, full creamy light brown head that lasts. Taste is possibly a bit overlyroasted and coffee-like. I know it's a Mocha Porter, but a few other common porter characteristics could have balanced it out. Massively hopped, overly so.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

We seem to get a fair amount of Rogue offerings here in Maine, which is fine with me. This beer was a dark brown with a small coffee-colored head. It had a coffee, chocolate odor with a little roasted grain. I thought the taste was predominately coffee (like espresso) with a chocolate undertone along with some hops. A little bit on the light side, but still a nice beer.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales