Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Mocha PorterMocha Porter

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
maestrotmbg

District of Columbia

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Out of the bottle it ran, dark. The color of espresso with a head somewhat lighter in color and somewhat less uniform but thicker and much longer lasting. Alcohol barely noticable,the beer smelled unexpectedly and faintly of berries. Bitterness was the prevailing flavor that lasted to the bitter, dry end. This beer drank unexpectedly. It flouted its darkness yet went down like a much lighter beer. Thus, it drank easily as well, its bitterness overcome by its unusual lightness of body.

04-02-2003 10:54:21 | More by maestrotmbg
fattyre

Georgia

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

This beer pours a clear very dark brownish red color with a moderate sized dark tan head. The mouthfeel is just moderate-thinner than I had hoped and just slightly disapointing. The smell is sweet and smokey with a very slight coffee aroma. The taste is smoky faint coffee with a crisp bitter finish and a mild alcohol flavor. Quite enjoyable.

03-28-2003 19:47:55 | More by fattyre
Scooter77

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a dark brown color with just a hint of red showing through. Instantly a thick, rich tan head presents itself, then fades down slowly, that leaves a thick, sticky lace on the glass. Aroma is chocked full of roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate with mild hop undertones. Taste seems to mirror the smell exactly. There was a little bit too much of a bitter coffee-like aftertaste left. Other than the bitterness, this is a very smooth and creamy beer to drink.

03-28-2003 05:07:59 | More by Scooter77
Darkale

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%

Dark brown-black, with a thick tan head that settles down to a rim of foam around the glass. Moderate lacing. Aroma is of chocolate predominately, with coffee right behind it. Nicely carbonated. Chewy. Creamy at first, with a gritty aftertaste and mouthfeel. Long after the last sip, one tastes the mocha and coffee -- well named.

03-22-2003 13:44:12 | More by Darkale
beernbbq

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

In a word, Delicious! More "bodied-up" than the average porter, but not as dry as a stout. Pours a big brown head that stays the whole way (and I was "milking" this one as long as I could). Thoroughly enjoyable from the first sip to the last. I am going to hunt down more or order it from the Rogue website.

03-22-2003 03:49:18 | More by beernbbq
Denali

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

Package: 12 ounce bottle with a blue picture of this macho dude wearing a hat and sunglasses and holding a beer. No freshness date, but I’ll trust the cool dude on the label.

Appearance: Dark as night with gorgeous super-thick tan head with tiny bubbles present when viewed from the side. The head laces mightily.

Smell: Strong berry aroma with hints of chocolate.

Taste: Berry flavor and sweet malt tastes upfront. Chocolate malt and bitter flavors appear next. Finally, a major coffee aftertaste emerges. The flavors do not all appear at once but are on a time delay, like a fireworks show.

Mouthfeel: Slight carbonation up front which fades away quickly. Very thick and chewy.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable.

Comments: It’s the Fourth of July in my mouth. The flavors explode all over the place. Glorious. Thanks to Keith (stegmakk) for this bottle.

03-20-2003 18:40:29 | More by Denali
stegmakk

4.28/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured dark brown almost black, with a great dark tan light brown thick head.

Aroma slight unsweetened slightly burnt chocolate, and roasted malt.

Flavor Coffee unsweetened chocolate and bitterness...very nice mixture...

creamy mouthfeel

I will definately pick more of this up...maybe next week...

03-14-2003 21:16:15 | More by stegmakk
UncleJimbo

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

12 oz amber bottle, no freshness date.

This porter poured a very dark brown (hints of red if held to light), with tall, rich, brown foam that left good lace on the glass. The modest aroma was of roasted malt, floral hops, and chicory. The taste was bitter coffee, with some slight sweetness from the malt, and floral hops in the background. There was a hint of unsweetened chocolate on the tongue. Very low sweetness. The mouthfeel was dry, full bodied, with a floral hop flavor in the finish. The drinkability was very good. A nice porter, though I expected more "mocha" flavor.

02-28-2003 21:17:59 | More by UncleJimbo
texascarl

Kansas

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance = Black, opaque (held up to the light, nada comesthrough) creamy tan head, dissipated with light lacing. Light carbonation. Pretty as a speckled pup.

Nose = Mocha, just like the name implies. Coffee (dark roasted, no less) and bittersweet chocolate. Call me over when you plan to open a bottle, this one smells some kinda good.

Taste = Malt and coffee. Sweet with a medium slightly bitter 'burnt toast' finish, a creamy mouthfeel.

Good porter, going very well with a 'ploughman's lunch' for dinner. (Either I can't tell time or I'm an innovator.)

02-28-2003 18:57:12 | More by texascarl
Mitchster

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours out to a slightly cloudy dark brown-black with a tan, quickly thinning meringue-like head atop small to medium sized bubbles, with adequate lacing. Aroma is ripe with tons of fresh, fruity hops, some dark coffee and lots of dark, heavily roasted grains (Reminds me of a cross between Sierra Nevada Porter and Boonville Oatmeal Stout in aroma). Over-hopped for style, but good nonetheless. Taste starts out with an bright hop fruitiness and moderate bitterness, fading into sharp, dark coffees and some slight peppery alcohol. The finish is dry with roasted barley, a long and potent earthy hop finish, and a slightly sweet feel to the back of the throat. Mouthfeel is lightly harsh with a medium body.
With the name "Mocha Porter", I was hoping that this beer was made with chocolate and coffee, and coming from Rogue I expected a lot more. Sadly, neither the ingredients, nor much of a mocha taste is here, in contrast to their amazing chocolate stout. This porter would best many of the West Coast's drier stouts.

Made from Northwest Harrington, Klages, 135-165, 95-115, 70-80 Crystal; Beeston Chocolate, Black, Munich and Carastan malts; Perle and Centennial hops.
13 degrees Plato, IBU 54.5, Apparent Attenuation 73, Lovibond 77

02-21-2003 20:08:45 | More by Mitchster
Bunnyhop

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

A clear, very dark, brownish-red Porter with a moderate, dark tan head. The smell is malty and smokey. The taste is coffee and roasted with a slght bitter chocolate finish. It has a moderate to thin body in my mouth, but was thinner than expected. Overall, a nice porter with chocolate undertones.

The day I originally reviewed this was the day I signed up on Beer Advocate.

(source: Habersham Discount Beverage; Savannah, GA)

02-11-2003 17:08:12 | More by Bunnyhop
BeerBuilder

3.68/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours dark brown, pretty much black with a light brown head. This one leaves a decent amount of lacing. The aroma is roast and fruity; a citrus fruitiness from the hops. The citrus aroma reminds me more of an American pale ale. The flavor is somewhat roasty with hints of chocolate and coffee. The flavor is more fruity than anything. It has a dry hoppy finish. It is relatively smooth and easy drinking. Not really what I was expecting in a beer classified as a Robust Porter. Not too robust, but I did enjoy it none the less.

02-11-2003 08:29:11 | More by BeerBuilder
Bruiser81

Kansas

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

This brew was solid black in my glass with a head that diminished fast but left a thin sheet of foam on top of the beer (could have been the pour). The aroma was all malt as far as I could tell, with a little chocolate mixed in. The taste was a bit sweet up front but that dissappeared quickly, followed by some chocolate flavors and a sharp bitter finish. This beer didn't go down as smooth as many other porters I've had but I would buy this one again.

02-10-2003 14:22:54 | More by Bruiser81
GreatPondBrewer

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

This pour was as black as a crows eye at night. There was no way that even superman could see through the glass. There was a fair sized tan head that dissapeared very quickly. The smell Revealed two seperate scents. The smells of s sweetness and also a bitter one that was what I drank. It tasted like burnt coffee with thin hints of deep mocha, but was thin on the mouthfeel. Definitely a good beer.

02-08-2003 15:48:32 | More by GreatPondBrewer
Quaffer

Nevada

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: This beer is black. Period. No questions asked. It had a big, dark brown head that dissipated quickly and left a lot of pretty lace.

Smell: No surprises here. This beer smelled like it looked. Definitely bitter chocolate and coffee aromas. You can tell this bad boy is going to be bitter. Oh, yeah . . .

Mouthfeel: A little thin for me on the mouthfeel, and thinner than many other porters that I have had.

Taste: Once again, no surprises here. This was a powerful, bitter porter. It's hard for me to pick out individual flavors in beers with this much *umph*, so I won't even try. But trust me, it was good!

I've had it before and I will definitely have it again.

02-05-2003 17:37:44 | More by Quaffer
AudioGilz

2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

This porter is a very very stout dark. The head is small, light brown, and doesn't hang out very long at all.
The smell is mainly hop aroma and a faint coffee.
My first taste, and oh man...way too much bitterness! I expected a rich, creamy, smooth porter. And what I got was a bitter, faintly coffee and roasted malt flavored, fizzy dark beer. I only noticed flavor other than bitterness when I swished the brew around my mouth for about 5 or 6 seconds. The mouthfeel was rather thin for a porter and the aftertaste was a long lasting unpleasant bitterness. I was very disappointed. I much prefer a less hoppy, more thick and creamy porter like Fuller's London or Edmund Fitzgerald. I highly recommend those two porters, but not this one, unless you love hop bitterness.

02-03-2003 14:29:23 | More by AudioGilz
cbl2

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Black with a good tan head.

Smell: I'm congested, but toffee, tar and lots of malts!!!

Taste: At first sweet, and then you get a sense of burnt wood/vegetables; very bitter hoppy finish; a decent porter, but not my favorite.

Drinkability: If I were only allowed to drink one type of beer for the rest of my life, this wouldn't be that beer, but it would rank in my top 25 (thus not even making a mixed case...).

02-03-2003 14:27:54 | More by cbl2
IrishRedRock

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

Mmmmm....Roooooogue. I love the Rogue 22 oz. bottles. And the brews within are always phenomenal, and this one is no exception. Black, not really ruddy-brown in color as the bottle suggests, with a nice tan head atop. The nose has the signature Rogue hop aroma, with a mild dark chocolate scent as well.

Mouthfeel is smooth and slick with a slight hint of carbonation. Coffee and dark chocolate flavors run rampant, but balance well with the strong bittersweet hop finish. A kick-ass porter, one of the best I have ever tasted.

02-02-2003 18:18:11 | More by IrishRedRock
ElGuapo

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

The pour is very dark, almost black with a nice tan head that will give you lace all over the glass. The aroma is loaded with dark malts and a whole lot of chocolate. Did I mention that there is chocolate in the aroma.

This beer is full of flavor. It is nice and rich with a crisp carbonation. You are hit with a mass of dark roasty malts with some coffee in there. Then, the chocolate comes in. It hangs around till the dry finish. There is a nice kick of spicey hops in the middle, but besides that, it is all dark malt and chocolate. It is in your face and dark as midnight with the moon covered in a black tarp.

01-24-2003 20:12:21 | More by ElGuapo
Amdahl

Iowa

3.43/5  rDev -11.4%

This beer pours a dark brown if not black. The tan head is nice and creamy, but leaves little to no lace. Aromas of chocolate and coffee are dominate. Little to no hops were noticeable. The taste was a little bitte for me. It tastes almost exactly like coffee (this is of little surprise to me as the beer is a MOCHA porter). This is a very full-bodied beer. I have trouble drinking more than one of these at a time. To me, this beer does not taste good enough to merit a higher score and the smell is a little to much on the coffee side. This is a rather average beer to me.

01-20-2003 01:10:12 | More by Amdahl
Viking

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Deep, dark brown, with a moderate-sized tan head. Head fades rather too quickly to lace. Smell full of barley malt, hints of fruit and coffee and chocolate. Bittersweet flavor - very hoppy - dominated by malt, but possessing quite a bit of coffee and chocolate flavors, especially in the oily finish. Very smooth brew. A very easy drinking, and interesting porter.

01-14-2003 07:24:14 | More by Viking
oelergud

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

Very dark beer with a light brown head that once it falls regains fast after a little swirling and stays well.
Strong smell, doesn't hide this is a porter with coffee flavors and maybe a hint of chocolate.
Taste great, the porter taste dominates but lets the coffee come through well, no masking of either which I think is a great accomplishment not easily done. After taste is deliciously bitter.
Body as full as a good stout and leaves your mouth slick.
A beer I will drink again no doubt.

-Oelergud

01-11-2003 12:40:09 | More by oelergud
cretemixer

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

22 oz. bomber pours a deep chocolate brown with ruby hues. Caramel headiness that fades to a thin layer leaving little lace. Mochacciono aroma with a strong hoppy bite. What else would you expect from Rogue? Hoppy flavors are most prominent with coffee following right behind. Chocolate maltiness is overpowered by the hops. Thinner mouthfeel that I expected, but still adequate. Not my favorite style, but overall a pretty impressive beer.

01-10-2003 06:12:44 | More by cretemixer
LarryKemp

3.45/5  rDev -10.9%

I was struck by its red tint while pouring. The head was good but because of the 8.0% alcohol retention was poor. The choclate malt aroma was evident and I could not detect any hop aroma. The first taste was overpowered by a hoppy bitterness that lingered on the roof of my mouth long after the liquid was swallowed. Only after holding the beer in my mouth did the choclate come out. It had a moderately creamy mouthfeel. Overall I was disappointed by this beer and would recommend it only to Rogue Hop Heads.

01-09-2003 18:45:50 | More by LarryKemp
AtrumAnimus

3.13/5  rDev -19.1%

After trying the Shakespeare Stout I was looking forward to this one. The head is a little less than creamy and dark brown fading to a cream colour. Rogue I have found is not one of the most talented group op Hop blenders I have tasted. And here it is proven. The hops are pleasant on the nose but the blend leaves something to be desired. There is a roughness to the finish that I just didn't like. The overall flavor is ok. I would say give it a try - but if you have other porters to choose from, then buy one of those instead. I was disappointed.

01-06-2003 09:16:39 | More by AtrumAnimus