Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,331 | Hads: 2,712
3.18/5  rDev -18%

Black label with a blue clothed figure drinking a beer tipping his hat.

Appearance: Half a finger head, that dissipates medium quickly. Pitch black in color. Smooth-liquidy appearance.

Smell: Mocha, coffee and chocolate aromas present.

Mouthfeel: Has the coffee/porter bite to it initially.

Taste/Drinkability: The chocolaty flavors I was expecting are not that present. More of a bitter flavor, which I guess is to be expected from the coffee portion of the moca equation. (487 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18%

Pours a very dark cola color. dark amber light visible only faintly around the bottom edges when held to the light. nice creamy off white head, retains well.

in the smell I get rich chocolate and toasted caramel malts. smells good.

Taste is not too complex, it is mostly toasted malts as mentioned above with a fairly noticeable hop presence leaving bittering towards the end. I'm pretty disappointed here, and expected a more complex malt body.

Mouthfeel is very thin and more watery than it looks.
Some tingling from the hops and moderate carbonation.

It goes down easy, but I don't think i'll be revisiting it, as it is a bit pricey at a little over $2 for a single. Definitely worth trying, but not my favorite porter. (726 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18%

Pitch black with a light tan head.

Smells of molasses and blackberries to create an odd irony fruitiness. Ground coffee finds its way in.

Taste is metallic and strangely bitter. Dark fruits and yeast flavors repel each other while coffee additions remain constant. Aftertaste is more unwelcomed bitterness and char.

Medium bodied with smooth even carbonation.

Not in line with most delicious porters. (404 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured in a pint glass

Appearance: Nice dark chocolate brown. Thin head.

Smell: This area was a real disappointment. There was no discernible aroma from this porter. Now, I admittedly have a weak sense of smell, so I let my wife take a whiff. Her nose is hyper-sensitive. Again nothing.

Taste: Nice coffee and chocolate flavors, some hops, but the finish is weak.

Mouthfeel: Perhaps a little over-carbonated with some nice chewiness.

Drinkability: Though the abv is slightly high (just over 5%), I would consider this a good session beer. It is easy on the palate and fairly well balanced.

Overall: I feel as though I needed a lot more time to let this beer warm up. It was entirely too cold and I feel as though much of the flavor may have been masked. (760 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -18.6%

Deep brown head, dense and frothy; like a capit keeps the beer in the glass. Makes it appear thicker than it is.
Dark brown pour, like cola color. Great aroma, good earthy qualities and bit chocolaty.

Tastes like a bitter chocolate. The bitterness is pronounced in every sip, but that seems typical from the few Rogues I've had. (332 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -18.6%

A: Dark color with a tiny brown head that didn't stick around for long

S: Hints of roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, vanilla and berries.

T: Very sour and roasty.

M: Fairly full bodied which is a good aspect to a brew this size.

D: Slightly above average due to the sour notes from the coffee flavours. (306 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -18.6%

A dark dark beer with a bitter, coffee smell. It came to the table with a tan blanket of head that was on the thin side, and a decent collar with pretty good lacing.

I couldnt get a good smell out of this one. There was the basics: Roasted and Chocolate smells, some hops. The taste was a good, well rounded and tasty.

an all around decent beer. (351 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -18.6%

I'm not sure what the date was on this, so it could have been new or a few years old. It poured black with a small tan colored head. The smell was mostly roasty, with a slight hint of dark chocolate.There was mainly a roasted coffee taste, again with a slight hint of chocolate, but not as much chocolate as expected for a Mocha Porter. The mouthfeel was quite nice as this was a cool, smooth, and creamy beer. This wasn't a bad beer by any means. I'm glad I tried it but I wouldn't rush out to buy more. I get the feeling that it was a year or two old so I'd like to try it new. (579 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -18.6%

Haven't had this in a while but I remembered not being floored by it. Similar impression today. Beautiful, thick, tan head with very nice lacing all the way down. Similar to other observations, I noticed a distinct metallic/musty smell. Pretty thin mouthfeel. The rich, malty, toasted barley flavor was the high point but it didn't last long and was eventually overtaken by the bitter coffee/mocha flavor. The coffee/mocha flavor made for an interesting taste during the first few sips but eventually it was all I noticed and boy did it linger: I still taste it now. I didn't note what I consider hops balancing out the beer but I am fairly new to analyzing complex tastes and don't quite notice all the subtleties yet. It might be well paired with a red meat as it is not too filling and bitter but I don't think I would have a craving for this like some other porters. It is an interesting beer at first, and I would drink it over some others, but it's not my first choice. (975 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

Bottle poured into a chalice.
Nice head, good appearance. Pleasant enough coffee taste.
A nice beer but the aftertaste is a bit off putting. Slight cloy that makes me wish I had selected something else.
I'm glad I tried this beer but wouldn't recommend it. (258 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

pours black with red highlights when held up to the light, medium tan head that left quite quickly leaving a ring around the edge with slight lacing as i drink.

smelled strong of roasted malt, slight coffee, chocolate.... whiff of hops right off the top...

taste was immediately of hop bitterness, followed by bitter chocolate and barely a touch of coffee... i was hoping for more coffee flavor, a little bit less hops i guess, although i have noticed that most rogue beers i have tried seem to all be a little heavy on the hops (IMO)... as it warmed the chocolate flavor strengthened as did the hop flavor, still not as much mocha as i would have liked for a mocha porter...

the back end was dry with all the hops, leaving a clean palate that makes this beer drinkable. i finished it with no problems, but with so many other porters out there i dont know if i would choose this one again any time soon, but i wouldnt snub my nose at it if someone handed me a cold one! (973 characters)

Purchased as a bottle from Capital Ale house in Glen Allen, VA - pint

Pours a dark brown with minimal to moderate head and not really any lacing. Smells like a mild porter. Not much coffee or chocolate to note. Taste follows. A basic porter with no real stand out characteristics.

Overall this is an overpriced, okay porter. (327 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

I am not a coffee drinker, so please keep that in mind when reading my notes.

A - dark brown thin but creamy head

S - roasted coffee and bitter chocolate with a burnt overtone

T - three flavors jump out at me in this order, burnt, coffee, roasted nuts

M - a little metallic, lighter body than I predicted, leaves a lingering burnt coffee taste.

D - To me this was below the line of acceptability in terms of drinkability.

Overall I'd say that this is an ambitious attempt from one of my very favorite breweries. Coffee drinkers might love it but I sure don't. Not of of Rogues gems, of which there are many. (613 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

Served from a 12 oz bottle with no discernible freshness date. The bottle was a bit cold since it had been in my fridge for two days, but I allowed it to slowly warm to room temperature while I drank it. Poured a coal black with a thin, off-white head. Very little retention. Smells of light chocolate, burnt sugar/caramel, sweet toasted barley. Tastes much of the same; ends with a dark chocolate bitterness. Few traces of any hops. Mouthfeel is decent, but a little watery for porter. Overall, another good offering from Rogue, although not my favorite of theirs or my favorite porter. (587 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

Haven't had this in a few years, and realized that I hadn't reviewed it, so here goes.

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a slightly translucent deep brown, as porters should be, with over an inch of dark khaki head that dissipated quickly and left minimal lacing.

The coffee aromas are thankfully minimal, but a very pleasing chocolaty sweetness dominates the nose. Underlying are some subdued roasted tones. The evil coffee (I know, it's a coffee beer, but I hate coffee) shows up on the tongue more than the aroma leads you to expect. The other expected tastes, roast, malt and a touch of hops, are there in the expected proportions.

The body is on the thin side for the style and probably should have received a half point less than I gave it, but hell, it's the holidays. Drinkability is actually good, it's even better if you like coffee.

Overall, a decent, solid beer that you can be comfortable relying on as a go-to. It won't be so long again before I have my next one. (985 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%

Deep dark brown almost black in color. Huge foamy, dark tan head that lasted all the way to the bottom of the glass followed with lace all along the sides. Chocolate, coffee, and hops aroma. Dark roasted mocha, malt, bittersweet chocolate taste with plenty of bitterness from the hops. Nicely carbonated body that feels slightly thin and watery. Finishes very hoppy and slighty on the dry side. Above average bitterness for a porter and not quite as sweet as most.. It was more acidic than bitter, like the rind of a grapefruit. Good, but not what I was looking for in a porter (584 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

A: Very dark brown, almost black. Two finger tan head.

S: Appropriately named since it has a nice chocolately mocha smell. Malty as well.

T: Quite sour up front and an interesting aftertaste that is slightly smoky.

M: Somewhat runny, almost what I would call watery.

O: I'll admit my experience with porters is somewhat limited, but this beer was only so-so for me. It wasn't bad, but the watery feel and sour taste didn't thrill me. I would drink it again, but I wouldn't buy it again. (491 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

pours really dark almost opaque from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass. big foam head the dissipates rather quickly to to a half finger lace. um... it's got a bitter sweet taste that leaves a bitter hop malty flavor on the back of the tongue. it smells really good and portery. not my favorite porter. I like sierra nevada and anchor porter better than this. drinkability is poor for me ....I'm not too hot on the taste. But, i could drink it again. just not on a summer night in Florida. (485 characters)

My 100th beer reviewed.

A - Pours a small one finger tan head that rests over a very deep brown sea. No lacing, too bad.

S - A faint coffee odor with some very faint pine hops. Not much in the aroma department.

T - A coffee and very faint slightly sweet chocolate malt with only a touch of bitterness in the aftertaste. Alcohol was evident in the taste at higher temperatures. A nutty flavor also emerged.

M - Thinner than I expected, dissapointing in a way. Carbonation is high at first, it is refreshing though.

D - This is the beer's best point by far. It is so mild that it makes a fabulous session beer. It would go well with countless dishes. A very mild, but good porter. (693 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -19.6%

330 ml. bottle. Very dark colour, with a big brown head, but it doesn't have much retention. And not much lace either. Smells of coffee, licorice, dark fruits and brown sugar. Honey and vanilla too, but never too strong. And... it's too thin in the palate, taste is very faint also, more chocolate than coffee, sweet, dark fruits. Easy to drink, but not the best I've had. (372 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -19.8%

poured mildly chilled into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass

A: Dark brown, ruby at edges - nice 2 finger head - quickly dissipated into 1/4" head - limited lacing.

S: Picking up roasted malts, a bit of caramel malt...not much else.

T: Decent, but overly roasted. Bit astringent, husky on the finish... Needs a bit more backbone/body... Surprisingly one-dimensional - not really getting a lot of the chocolate/coffee flavor - just the roasted malt mainly.

M: Well carbonated, bit thin, overall not too bad, but nothing special.

D: Not a terrible porter, but not especially notable. Probably not a repeat purchase. (615 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -19.8%

A dark brown not much light got through, light brow two finger head not much retention

S everything was kindof week faint coffee and dark malts

T enjoyable but lacking in a way i think i just like my beers overly flavorfull this was on the mellow side

M thin but creamy

D good might try it again but for now there are others i like more (342 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

A: Dark brown body with a with a bit of a beigge head that left some wisps of lace on the sides.

Smell: Has some chocolate, bitter coffee and expresso, and richer toffee notes. Nothing exotic, but nothing to complain about

Taste: Coffee dominated, somewhat bitter, with lesser notes of unsweetened chocolate. Slight amount of grassy taste on the end for some reason..

Mouthfeel: Mediumish body with soft carbonation.

Drinkability: Wish this one had a bit more heft, not a favorite, would pass on it next time.. (516 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

Black pour with a creamy medium lasting tan head. Smells like it will be bitter, dark and roasty. Not too much coffee smells if any coming in yet. Taste is roasted coffee like, with some definite chalky bitterness, and burnt taste. Very creamy nice, thick, almost oily, moutfeel, though that I really like. Got better as it warmed, and towards the end of the beer. This is a decent porter. Not one I'd crave again, but it's certainly not bad if you like porters. Not as much of a coffee flavor as Fuller's London Porter though, I'd say, if that is something you really are looking for. (585 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

From a 22 oz. bottle, poured into a pint glass.

The aroma that this Mocha Porter gives off would lead you to believe that you were in for something more than what the end product actually is, which would be a so-so porter that leaves an aftertaste that is rather disappointing and on the biting side of town. It’s certainly not a terrible bottle of beer (I didn’t hate drinking it) but there really isn’t anything that positive to say otherwise.

I tried it once and probably never will again, given the several others of its kind that are superior. (558 characters)

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales