Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Mocha PorterMocha Porter

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
firstprev| 1276-1300 | 1301-1325 | 1326-1350  | next → last
Reviews: 1,337 | Hads: 2,736
2.7/5  rDev -30.2%

Appearance- Dark, rich and non transparent

Smell- Toasty, Really couldn't smell it.

Taste- Well the name fits the taste, "Mocha"

Mouthfeel- You can make out the carbonation in it.

Head- Two inches at end of pour, Lacing is straight

I think Rogue has a great product line and this one certainly has potential but it's not me. Good Avg.

By the way it looks as if they change the label on the bottle.

2.65/5  rDev -31.5%

The pour into my Fuller's nonic raises a one finger dark tan head that leaves slippery lacing. The head falls pretty fast to a thin glass ring over a very dark brown/ruby body. The nose is lightly roasted, with some bare hints of coffee and perhaps some citrusy hops. The taste is quite forward in its coffee/chocolate character, within some strong roast. Hoppiness hits early, but gives way to a lasting roasted bitterness. Finishes quite dry. Too roasted and bitter, in my opinion. The mouth is very thick, with smooth carbonation. I should have reviewed this the first time, almost two years ago. I won't be coming back.

2.64/5  rDev -31.8%

Perhaps not as "big" as i was expecting. Some light roasted malt and chocolate malt, with a fair hit of citrusy hops towards the finish, and perhaps some light smokyness, fairly pleasant, if a bit uncomplex, not really what i was expecting, but fairly tasty, i don't think the flavours quite blended either.

2.61/5  rDev -32.6%

I've only had a few Rogue beers before, this being my most recent. I had been putting off trying it because I haven't liked many of their beers except for their stouts. This beer was no acception, it was an over hopped and coffee lacking mocha porter. You dont get much coffee taste in it, a lot of bitter hops. Not well rounded at all, tried it at room temp and cold. Both were no good, nothing spectacular here.

2.59/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This porter is a very very stout dark. The head is small, light brown, and doesn't hang out very long at all.
The smell is mainly hop aroma and a faint coffee.
My first taste, and oh man...way too much bitterness! I expected a rich, creamy, smooth porter. And what I got was a bitter, faintly coffee and roasted malt flavored, fizzy dark beer. I only noticed flavor other than bitterness when I swished the brew around my mouth for about 5 or 6 seconds. The mouthfeel was rather thin for a porter and the aftertaste was a long lasting unpleasant bitterness. I was very disappointed. I much prefer a less hoppy, more thick and creamy porter like Fuller's London or Edmund Fitzgerald. I highly recommend those two porters, but not this one, unless you love hop bitterness.

2.56/5  rDev -33.9%

Beer pours to a beautiful black with a tan head, foam clings to the side of the glass and dissapates after pouring. Smells very roasted and almost astringent. The roasted malt is very aggressive, but is severely beaten down by hop bitterness. The beer has a very fizzy feel to it, which really is none too pleasant in a porter.
The roasted malt was huge in this beer, and right on, but the bitterness and effervescence were way to aggressive in a porter, in my opinion.

2.55/5  rDev -34.1%

Dark mahogany brown, with a moderate sized tan head. Aroma has slight hints of chocolate, but no noticeable coffee. Flavor is mostly of chocolate with coffee highlights, and some roasted malt, but no hops. The surprising and overpowering sweetness of the flavor is offputting. Also, the mouthfeel is slick, greasy, and somewhat heavy. No need to come back to this one.

2.45/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Deep chocolate with dirty cream head

S: Medicinal, cough syrup, some coffee and roasted malt

T: Sweet and a bit sickly. Not flawed but not particularly pleasant.

M: Smooth though syrupy.

O: Not my style. Seems well enough made but there are lots of beers I look forward to drinking, this not being one of them.

2.03/5  rDev -47.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer poured black but had a amber opaqueness to sunlight. The head was almost nonexistant.

Smell: I could smell toasty roasty coffee but nothing else.

Taste: The taste had a combination of coffee and chocolate no surprises.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: Overall this beer strikes me as being thin and watery.

2.01/5  rDev -48.1%

I don't know if I got an old bottle or something but this was very underwhelming. It looked good enough, dark and black, poured a decent head. No smell whatsoever. I see reviews saying that it smelled like coffee or chocolate, I just smell a very vague bitterness that has no real character.

The taste is extremely bland and very light. Again, no real character and to move on to mouthfeel, it's very very thin and there is basically no carbonation present.

It's somewhat drinkable because it's so inoffensive but that's not something I look for in a beer. I'll have to try this if I'm out in Oregon again but this time I was really not impressed at all.

1.99/5  rDev -48.6%

From notes verbatim on 10/8/10

A: Deep brown, spotting sheet of cream over beer. No visible rays of light.

S: Spicy cascade hops (surprise), touch of cocoa over the hoppy porter backbone.

T: Reminds me of leftover espresso grain that has been left behind. Not good to me.

M: Wish it was creamier or less combative on my tongue. I almost want to add sugar.

D: I don't care for this as a mocha beer. Need to tone down the carbonation.

1.68/5  rDev -56.6%

From 12 ounce bottle.

The first thing on opening the bottle is the sour smell that hits the nose!

The pour looks beautiful, deep brown/black liquid with frothy beige head that lasted well untill I took a taste!

I will not finish a brew that I do not like, so this was tossed after 2 mouthfuls! It tasted to me of rancid coffee and it left a nasty aftertaste that unfortunately lingered quite a while!

firstprev| 1276-1300 | 1301-1325 | 1326-1350  | next → last