Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Appearance – 22oz bomber. Dark red/brown body, low head and some horizontal lacing.

Smell – Solid hop smell and some toasty malts.

Taste – Strong roasted malt flavor, fails to live up to its name on the mocha front, only the faintest bitter coffee finish.

Mouthfeel – Unfortunately a bit watery and thin, also, the hops did not quite live up to expectations either. I like a fuller, creamier body for the style.

Drinkability – Drinkable but I do not want another, there are better porters and even one's with stronger coffee malt flavors.

3.24/5  rDev -16.1%

A: Fairly opaque, not much head, just a thin wisp of bubbles and foam.

S: Coffee and hints of vanilla and nutmeg. Graham crackers, too.

T: Coffee and dark chocolate overshadow everything. A bit of a dry, spicy bitterness at the end.

M/D: Kind of disappointing, too much acidity from the roastedness. I've had better coffee porters/stouts.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very dark brown with a slight reddish tint when held to the light. Very large tan head with heavy lacing all the way down the glass.

The smell is slightly sweet with a coffee hint but also has a very off, pungent smell.

Taste is sweet with a strong espresso/coffee taste at the end. The hops are definitely there.

Slightly carbonated. Heavy feel. Dry on the way down and the beer seems to linger in your mouth. Very sticky.

Overall it's a good beer. I would drink again but don't know if I would buy.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Out of the bottle it ran, dark. The color of espresso with a head somewhat lighter in color and somewhat less uniform but thicker and much longer lasting. Alcohol barely noticable,the beer smelled unexpectedly and faintly of berries. Bitterness was the prevailing flavor that lasted to the bitter, dry end. This beer drank unexpectedly. It flouted its darkness yet went down like a much lighter beer. Thus, it drank easily as well, its bitterness overcome by its unusual lightness of body.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Dark brown colored porter with a strong coffee aroma.Taste is coffee,chocolate and roasted malt.This was not as good as I was expecting it to be,especially for how they charge you for it.Overall not bad,I will drink it again as long as I don't have to pay for it!!

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

I picked up this beer on a whim at the local Beerporium.

It poured pitch black with about a two finger head that quickly dissipated to about a quarter-finger head. The smell is very characteristic of a porter with undertones of burnt coffee. The taste didn't really floor me, and the somewhat pleasant and almost sweet taste of the beer gives away to an aftertaste that was a little too bitter for my liking at first that seemed to become less bitter as the beer warmed. Overall, I ended up enjoying it quite a bit more than I thought I would when I took the first sip. I can see what some people like about this beer, but to me as a fairly new beer drinker it didn't seem to have the depth that something like Gonzo Imperial Porter or Southern Tier Porter. I couldn't imagine myself drinking more than one of these at a time, as it seems to sit a little heavy in me. I'd say it's a fairly respectable porter that I was able to find at a fairly cheap price of about $1.75 a bottle. Decent beer aside, I can't imagine picking it up again unless I'm short on money and really want myself a porter.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours a deep brown-black with a luscious coffee coloured head. Head retention isn't great but lacing is okay.

Fruity aromas team up with hints of chocolate and coffee. Not great as it is a bit weak.

Tastes are light with good emphasis on the coffee and bits of chocolate. An okay malt backbone but overall it seems to be a little lacking.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin but carbonation is good overall and it works reasonable well with this beer.

Overall a reasonably tasty brew with reasonable flavour but it lacks depth and intensity.

3.22/5  rDev -16.6%

After trying the Shakespeare Stout I was looking forward to this one. The head is a little less than creamy and dark brown fading to a cream colour. Rogue I have found is not one of the most talented group op Hop blenders I have tasted. And here it is proven. The hops are pleasant on the nose but the blend leaves something to be desired. There is a roughness to the finish that I just didn't like. The overall flavor is ok. I would say give it a try - but if you have other porters to choose from, then buy one of those instead. I was disappointed.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales