Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Mocha PorterMocha Porter

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

Appearance: Pours a dark (dark) brown body with a wispy, thinning beige head.

Smell: Fairly delicate, Kahlua-ish aroma of bittersweet chocolate and breakfast blend coffee.

Taste: Mildy bitter coffee flavor dominates, with lesser notes of unsweetened chocolate. Roasty, ashen dryness on the finish that bears a bit of grassiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Mild carbonation.

Drinkability: Its nice enough, but a bit too thin for me, both in depth of flavor and body.

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

12 oz bottle

A - Extremely dark in color - thick looking. Chocolate colored head appears quickly and is well retained. Carbonation is hot strong in the appearance and little haze can be detected.

S - Muted nose from this beer. At best there is a chocolate undertone hiding in there somewhere.

T - Also very light in its flavor. Starts with a very light roasted malt flavor which is immediately balanced by some bitter mid-stream notes. The trademark pacman yeast is noticeable to me. Bitter aftertaste.

M - Not as thick and creamy as the appearance would say - almost lacking in body I would say. Watery. No carbonation bite.

D - Easy to drink - not filling. Flavors are not so potent that it would be a single in a session. Probably not a an extended session beer however due to its sweeter flavors.

A solid porter - but nothing spectacular.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Served from a 12 oz bottle with no discernible freshness date. The bottle was a bit cold since it had been in my fridge for two days, but I allowed it to slowly warm to room temperature while I drank it. Poured a coal black with a thin, off-white head. Very little retention. Smells of light chocolate, burnt sugar/caramel, sweet toasted barley. Tastes much of the same; ends with a dark chocolate bitterness. Few traces of any hops. Mouthfeel is decent, but a little watery for porter. Overall, another good offering from Rogue, although not my favorite of theirs or my favorite porter.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

I am not sure if this one was not a bit too old on the shelf...
It is about time Rogue puts expiration dates, or at least bottling dates on its beers with ABV 7 or lower.
Anyway, it is a very dark, black beer with just a reddish hue when held against light.
Highly carbonated, with a bubbly brown head that dissipates leaving a nice lacing.
Smell is really faint, of roasted malts and coffee. As a matter of fact, alcohol is the most pronounced smell.
Taste is good, but again not very pronounced, with bitter chocolate and a hint of coffee that disappears in the mouth way too quickly, leaving only a little bit more hops than I like in a porter.
Medium body, not light enough for a session, but good enough for two in a row.
I would really love to know its bottling date, to take the doubt out of my mind - is this really just an OK beer or was it too old?

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Black label with a blue clothed figure drinking a beer tipping his hat.

Appearance: Half a finger head, that dissipates medium quickly. Pitch black in color. Smooth-liquidy appearance.

Smell: Mocha, coffee and chocolate aromas present.

Mouthfeel: Has the coffee/porter bite to it initially.

Taste/Drinkability: The chocolaty flavors I was expecting are not that present. More of a bitter flavor, which I guess is to be expected from the coffee portion of the moca equation.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

I'm always interested on what Rogue has to offer.. so when I spotted a Rogue's Mocha Porter at a Whole Foods Market in Orlando I picked it up.

This one poured well. A dark amber black with a coffee colored head. The head recedes to a small ring of foam..no lacing to be found on the way down.

The smell is nice .. caramel sweetness, chocolate and coffee. My first few gulps had lots of chocolate but after that the taste is dominated by bitter coffee. There is some complexity but it's hard to find in all that bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the poor side.. heavily carbonated and rather uninteresting. I could see this being more drinkable in the winter but right now (prime summer).. it's just not in the cards.

3.16/5  rDev -18.1%

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Black. Large, craggy beige head. Good retention that stayed until I finished and some foam splatter lace up top.

Smells of roast malt, dark roast coffee, rogue yeast, and faint bitter dark chocolate.

Tastes bittersweet. Roasted dark malt, coffee, and charcoal comprised the bitter whilst bitter baking chocolate, and burnt nut made up the sweet. The two tastes never really seamed to settle in together and this beer seemed confused as to what it was trying to do. Sour ash aftertaste and a light mouthfeel. The actual mocha aspect of the whole beer was played down which was a suprise; considering the name and all.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

A: Dark color with a tiny brown head that didn't stick around for long

S: Hints of roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, vanilla and berries.

T: Very sour and roasty.

M: Fairly full bodied which is a good aspect to a brew this size.

D: Slightly above average due to the sour notes from the coffee flavours.

Purchased as a bottle from Capital Ale house in Glen Allen, VA - pint

Pours a dark brown with minimal to moderate head and not really any lacing. Smells like a mild porter. Not much coffee or chocolate to note. Taste follows. A basic porter with no real stand out characteristics.

Overall this is an overpriced, okay porter.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

I am not a coffee drinker, so please keep that in mind when reading my notes.

A - dark brown thin but creamy head

S - roasted coffee and bitter chocolate with a burnt overtone

T - three flavors jump out at me in this order, burnt, coffee, roasted nuts

M - a little metallic, lighter body than I predicted, leaves a lingering burnt coffee taste.

D - To me this was below the line of acceptability in terms of drinkability.

Overall I'd say that this is an ambitious attempt from one of my very favorite breweries. Coffee drinkers might love it but I sure don't. Not of of Rogues gems, of which there are many.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

A dark dark beer with a bitter, coffee smell. It came to the table with a tan blanket of head that was on the thin side, and a decent collar with pretty good lacing.

I couldnt get a good smell out of this one. There was the basics: Roasted and Chocolate smells, some hops. The taste was a good, well rounded and tasty.

an all around decent beer.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

I'm not sure what the date was on this, so it could have been new or a few years old. It poured black with a small tan colored head. The smell was mostly roasty, with a slight hint of dark chocolate.There was mainly a roasted coffee taste, again with a slight hint of chocolate, but not as much chocolate as expected for a Mocha Porter. The mouthfeel was quite nice as this was a cool, smooth, and creamy beer. This wasn't a bad beer by any means. I'm glad I tried it but I wouldn't rush out to buy more. I get the feeling that it was a year or two old so I'd like to try it new.

My 100th beer reviewed.

A - Pours a small one finger tan head that rests over a very deep brown sea. No lacing, too bad.

S - A faint coffee odor with some very faint pine hops. Not much in the aroma department.

T - A coffee and very faint slightly sweet chocolate malt with only a touch of bitterness in the aftertaste. Alcohol was evident in the taste at higher temperatures. A nutty flavor also emerged.

M - Thinner than I expected, dissapointing in a way. Carbonation is high at first, it is refreshing though.

D - This is the beer's best point by far. It is so mild that it makes a fabulous session beer. It would go well with countless dishes. A very mild, but good porter.

3.14/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

Bottle poured into a chalice.
Nice head, good appearance. Pleasant enough coffee taste.
A nice beer but the aftertaste is a bit off putting. Slight cloy that makes me wish I had selected something else.
I'm glad I tried this beer but wouldn't recommend it.

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

After trying the Shakespeare Stout I was looking forward to this one. The head is a little less than creamy and dark brown fading to a cream colour. Rogue I have found is not one of the most talented group op Hop blenders I have tasted. And here it is proven. The hops are pleasant on the nose but the blend leaves something to be desired. There is a roughness to the finish that I just didn't like. The overall flavor is ok. I would say give it a try - but if you have other porters to choose from, then buy one of those instead. I was disappointed.

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

Deep brown head, dense and frothy; like a capit keeps the beer in the glass. Makes it appear thicker than it is.
Dark brown pour, like cola color. Great aroma, good earthy qualities and bit chocolaty.

Tastes like a bitter chocolate. The bitterness is pronounced in every sip, but that seems typical from the few Rogues I've had.

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

pours black with red highlights when held up to the light, medium tan head that left quite quickly leaving a ring around the edge with slight lacing as i drink.

smelled strong of roasted malt, slight coffee, chocolate.... whiff of hops right off the top...

taste was immediately of hop bitterness, followed by bitter chocolate and barely a touch of coffee... i was hoping for more coffee flavor, a little bit less hops i guess, although i have noticed that most rogue beers i have tried seem to all be a little heavy on the hops (IMO)... as it warmed the chocolate flavor strengthened as did the hop flavor, still not as much mocha as i would have liked for a mocha porter...

the back end was dry with all the hops, leaving a clean palate that makes this beer drinkable. i finished it with no problems, but with so many other porters out there i dont know if i would choose this one again any time soon, but i wouldnt snub my nose at it if someone handed me a cold one!

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours a very dark cola color. dark amber light visible only faintly around the bottom edges when held to the light. nice creamy off white head, retains well.

in the smell I get rich chocolate and toasted caramel malts. smells good.

Taste is not too complex, it is mostly toasted malts as mentioned above with a fairly noticeable hop presence leaving bittering towards the end. I'm pretty disappointed here, and expected a more complex malt body.

Mouthfeel is very thin and more watery than it looks.
Some tingling from the hops and moderate carbonation.

It goes down easy, but I don't think i'll be revisiting it, as it is a bit pricey at a little over $2 for a single. Definitely worth trying, but not my favorite porter.

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

Pitch black with a light tan head.

Smells of molasses and blackberries to create an odd irony fruitiness. Ground coffee finds its way in.

Taste is metallic and strangely bitter. Dark fruits and yeast flavors repel each other while coffee additions remain constant. Aftertaste is more unwelcomed bitterness and char.

Medium bodied with smooth even carbonation.

Not in line with most delicious porters.

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

Haven't had this in a few years, and realized that I hadn't reviewed it, so here goes.

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a slightly translucent deep brown, as porters should be, with over an inch of dark khaki head that dissipated quickly and left minimal lacing.

The coffee aromas are thankfully minimal, but a very pleasing chocolaty sweetness dominates the nose. Underlying are some subdued roasted tones. The evil coffee (I know, it's a coffee beer, but I hate coffee) shows up on the tongue more than the aroma leads you to expect. The other expected tastes, roast, malt and a touch of hops, are there in the expected proportions.

The body is on the thin side for the style and probably should have received a half point less than I gave it, but hell, it's the holidays. Drinkability is actually good, it's even better if you like coffee.

Overall, a decent, solid beer that you can be comfortable relying on as a go-to. It won't be so long again before I have my next one.

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

Haven't had this in a while but I remembered not being floored by it. Similar impression today. Beautiful, thick, tan head with very nice lacing all the way down. Similar to other observations, I noticed a distinct metallic/musty smell. Pretty thin mouthfeel. The rich, malty, toasted barley flavor was the high point but it didn't last long and was eventually overtaken by the bitter coffee/mocha flavor. The coffee/mocha flavor made for an interesting taste during the first few sips but eventually it was all I noticed and boy did it linger: I still taste it now. I didn't note what I consider hops balancing out the beer but I am fairly new to analyzing complex tastes and don't quite notice all the subtleties yet. It might be well paired with a red meat as it is not too filling and bitter but I don't think I would have a craving for this like some other porters. It is an interesting beer at first, and I would drink it over some others, but it's not my first choice.

3.12/5  rDev -19.2%

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

poured mildly chilled into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass

A: Dark brown, ruby at edges - nice 2 finger head - quickly dissipated into 1/4" head - limited lacing.

S: Picking up roasted malts, a bit of caramel malt...not much else.

T: Decent, but overly roasted. Bit astringent, husky on the finish... Needs a bit more backbone/body... Surprisingly one-dimensional - not really getting a lot of the chocolate/coffee flavor - just the roasted malt mainly.

M: Well carbonated, bit thin, overall not too bad, but nothing special.

D: Not a terrible porter, but not especially notable. Probably not a repeat purchase.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales