Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,331 | Hads: 2,713
4.62/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a 16 oz Pint glass

A-Deep dark color, a little purple when held up to a light, great brown/tan head. Not a lot of lacing.

S-Rich chocolate, coffee, maybe a hint of vanilla.

T-Roasted coffee, chocolate. Loved the almost iced coffee with cream flavors

M-Very smooth and creamy. Very easy beer to drink, wouldn't consider it session at all though.

D-I really enjoyed the Porter. I am a big fan of porters in general, and this one was really nice. I had sent my fiancee to the store to pick up a different beer, but this is the one she bought. I have been pleasantly surprised. (590 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +18%

A: pours dark brown with a solid tan head. good retention, very even. Nice looking brew.

S: Big sweet malt on the nose. Toffee and caramel up front. Roasted barley and light chocolate notes towards the end.

T: Sweet chocolate. Beautifully balanced. Toffee and caramel reappear after the chocolate at the forefront. Excellent balance. Roasted barley and smokiness emerge as it warms to room temp.

M: Great mouthfeel on this beer. Not quite chewy, but substantial enough for what I'm expecting from a Rogue Porter.

D: Superb. Dangerously drinkable. I love this beer, and want to savor it, but I can't put it down... (619 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +18%

This beer poured a nice black color with a finger of head that fell to coat the beer. The nose was a nice full chocolate with slight roasted tones, a touch of sweet caramel as well. The flavor was chocolate upfront and in my face, moving to a well hopped coffee bitter finish. Very nice. The feel was thick and creamy, smooth and very drinkable. A very well built beer, with a really nice flavor. I enjoyed this beer a great deal. (430 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

A: Dark Amber. Very Foamy. Retains head.

S: Chocolaty with a hint of something else. I can't really put my finger on it. A fruity kind of smell.

T: You can taste the coffee but it doesn't overpower you. It goes down surprisingly smooth for a chocolate tasting beer.

M: A light carbonation. Not too heavy. It hangs like syrup on the back of your tongue.

O: When I saw that this was a "Mocha" beer, my first thought was ehhh. I want my beer to taste like beer, not a cheap Starbucks latte. However, I was pleasantly surprised. It doesn't knock you over with the coffee taste. Very smooth. Great balance. Great beer. (621 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +16.8%

S: Had this on cask in a 20oz nonik at the rogue ale house in san francisco, they even made me a beer float out of it, so good.

A: liquid black gold, great head, with good retention, amazing after all it was a cask, it looked soild black, and I barely let the light pass through the glass!!

S: I literally inhaled the head trying smelling this stuff, It was like crack, but better. the smell of your favorite coffee house hits your right away, a long with malty notes. there's some bittering hops notes as well but just barely though, just right amount.

T: oily, thick and rich. coffee flavors, area first on the palete, followed by the rich chocolate and roasted malt notes. It finishes up clean with nice bitter hoppy/black coffee notes in the after taste.

MF: very smooth and oily, since this was a cask, it lacked the really fizzy feeling of the regular draft, but it retained just the right amount for me, it was also perfect room temp. not to warm.

D: I could drink several a day, till I got sick of it. the only thing was after 3 you need to drink some water to rid your self of the acidic taste left over from the coffee. I don't drink coffee, but I love this stuff. If you happen to encounter either the draft or cask order it. (1,255 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +16.8%

The pour gave a tall, smooth head that stuck around for a long while. The color is dark and almost totally opaque; when held up to light a very dark brown shows through.

The smell is burnt toast with a bit of spiciness. The feel is thick and coating with a bit of carbonation. Initial flavor is roasted coffee (not surprising) with a strong bitterness. The aftertaste is surprisingly strong, bready and charcoal.

The flavor is strong enough that there is no taste of alcohol at any time. In some ways the flavor is overpowering, but it's not out-of-place or unexpected. (571 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The aroma at first gives off lots of brown sugar with a prune-like fruitiness; there is also some caramel, bready malt, milk chocolate, and dark roast coffee. The head is dense and deep tan; the body is a very dark brown but garnet highlights come through against the light. The flavor includes roasted malt and dark coffee with some tart fruitiness; the bitterness is husky and resiny; there is an undertone of malt sweetness. The husky, bread crust-like finish lingers. The body is somewhat light with a sharp bite from the carbonation.

Smells great, but the flavor doesn't follow the nose very closely. It's still complex and intense with a resiny bitterness that provides an American hop character. (704 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +16.2%

Dark, dark, dark brown almost black. Light doesn't penetrate the glass from the side, but I can get a little bit thought the edges. Nice fine tan colored head that hangs around for a few minutes with a decent amount of lacing.

Smells of malty dark chocolates. Tastes of intense bitter chocolate coffee. Very creamy, almost a coffee with cream flavor and feel. Silky, yet some effervescence keeps the tongue from falling asleep. Finishes with bitter chocolates in the back of the mouth. This is masterful and not at all what I expected.

Notes: My second sip, I came to the conclusion this would be great first thing in the morning instead of coffee.

this is a hearty brew for hearty foods. Not a great summer meal accompaniment. Something to be sip nice and slowly on a cold evening or better yet, a cold morning.

This one reminded me of my first Taddy Porter years ago. It was a great experience and one I thought I'd never relive. So for that I thank Rogue. (971 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +16.2%

From notes 10-3-08

Eye: Very dark brown in color, I'd say dark chocolate brown with some blood red/garnet highlights coming through when light makes it through this beer. Head has good formation and retention, a little over a finger's width. Color of the head is tan and texture is creamy. Lacing is pretty nice, leaving rings around the glass with some thin curtains between layers of rings.

Nose: Before the cap is even off, just after the seal is broken, I can smell sweet chocolate malty aromas. With the glass right up in my nose the chocolate aroma is prevalant. No coffee aromas here, no burnt aromas...really only that chocolate aroma....with a bit of time elapsed I am getting more dark malt aromas which give a deeper character to the chocolate aroma, mabe some dark fruits as well, just hints of plum or rasin, I can't tell which...hidden pretty damn good in the very back.

Tongue: My second impression of this one is lots of chocolate as the name implies; first impression is dark fruits, though I'm not sure which ones-definitely juicy though, right there on the front of the tongue. The chocolate flavor gives balance to the sweet fruitiness that hits right upfront. Some smokey flavor and definite bitterness of black malt. A slightly sour/tart impression upfront with the fruity tones give the beer an "authentic" English porter taste that melds and balances quite nicely with the big chocolate flavor that follows and is in turn followed by black malt bitterness. Maybe that fruitiness that accompanies the tartness is black cherry? At any rate I think that its the tartness that implies a dark fruit flavor. Not to say that its not there, but I think that the slight tartness is definitely implying a fruit flavor, causing my palate to perceive a dark fruit flavor that might not necessarily be in the beer, but is still tasted because it is implied by the tartness. Seems alot like modern logic if you ask me. At any rate this is a great porter.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Medium bodied in the mouth with small delicate and light carbonation that only compliments the beer. Finish is on the dry side which fits real nicely with the sharp bitterness of black malt. Kinda slick or oily on in the mouth....the beer itself is really smooth, velvety, like ribbons of slik toying round the tongue. This is a really nice porter, perfect for drinking on those cool autumn days. This is one I'll be adding to my "standards" list as far as porters go. Give it a whirl, I don't think you'll be disappointed. (2,523 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Served in a standard 16 oz pint glass @ the Rogue Alehouse in San Francisco. Great representation of the style with a black body and tannish creamy head. The smell was dark cocoa beans and freshly gound coffee. The taste was just what the aroma advertised. Thick creamy mouthfeel and delicious coffee robustness dominated the aftertaste. Porters are my favorite and this one did not disappoint. Dead Guy Ale is one of the few Rogue beers I can get locally, but I'll be on the lookout for the Mocha Porter. (505 characters)

Bazzinga!

A: Dark, like cowboy chicory. Poured into an Imperial pint glass, the head is slightly less than a finger, with the perfect amount of lacing.

S: Mocha, coffee, caramel, hops, brown sugar

T: Prairie sludge: in a good way. Strong coffee flavor, with just the right amounts of porter and chocolate.

M: Creamy but not filling. The acidity of coffee hangs out with your buds for a few. The hops are well balanced, as a porter should be.

O: Drink, drank, drunk... gonna stock this one in my cooler trunk! (513 characters)

My 4th Rogue brew. I usually enjoy this brand very much

A- Transparent brown on the edges and black in the middle. Great mocha colored head with much lacing.

S- Smell is of much chocolate and some coffee and molasses

T- Tastes like bitter coffee balanced with chocolate. Good taste if you like coffee.

M- Feels very smooth with a medium-light body and ample carbonation

D- Drinks great with a light enough body to pound back easily. (437 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16%

A deep brown color with a light brown head. Two fingers of head yielded after it was poured into my 650ml Family Guy mug. Went from filmy foam to ring-o-foam at the end of the beer. The smell was a mix of hoppy coffee and baker's chocolate. Flavor was similar to the smell. With more of a bitter chocolate start, a smokey coffee middle, and a roasted mocha, vanilla, kona, hop finish. (384 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Had this on cask at Fatheads last week. Poured black into a mug with a nice fluffy light-brown head. The smell of roasted malts hits the nose up front followed by the scent of coffee and hints of baker's chocolate. The taste follows the scent. A nice roasted malt backbone followed by the taste of coffee and bitter chocolate. A very smooth and solid brew. I'm very happy that I got to enjoy this as my first cask beer. I could drink it every day if Fatheads didn't rotate casks. (479 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16%

In a word, Delicious! More "bodied-up" than the average porter, but not as dry as a stout. Pours a big brown head that stays the whole way (and I was "milking" this one as long as I could). Thoroughly enjoyable from the first sip to the last. I am going to hunt down more or order it from the Rogue website. (307 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Pours a deep deep brownish black hue with a quickly diminishing head. Malty aroma and taste with chocolate and coffee, and caramel overtones. Finishes with a little bitterness to round off the maltiness. A very solid enjoyable beer. This is certain to be a staple in my fride this fall. (286 characters)

12oz bottle poured into pint glass
A - Dark brown with ruby tinges. Quickly diminishing 2 finger tan head. Thin lacing on glass.
S - Roasted malt, chocolate and coffee.
T - Toasty malt with more coffee than the smell would indicate; bittersweet chocolate. Slight floral and citrus on finish.
M - Medium with a somewhat crisp carbonation. Well balanced, doesn't linger like some porters.
D - One of my favorite American Porters. The ABV is @5%, so I'm having another! (466 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +15.7%

This is a pitch-black beer with a burnt caramel hu at the edges. It has a thick, chocolate-milk head.

Bitterness from hops cascades over the palate and slides into roastiness, and then a mellow coffee tone with sweet chocolate only at the very end. Cane syrup and nut tones emerge with warmth. Aftertaste is sticky and slightly smokey.

The beautiful thing about this beer is how many simple, un-muddled flavors are stacked neatly on top of one another. It has sweetness and depth but still manages to forefront a great bitterness that doesn't rely on harsh roasted or acrid, or pushy, out-of-place hops. (611 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +15.7%

12oz. Bottle

A: Dark brown color with a little tan/brownish head. Light penetrates the beer only sightly on the edges.

S: Roasted malts with a very balanced characteristic. A little sweet with chocolate and with a small bit of hops at the end.

T: This beer is completely off the charts with the taste. Immediately your palette gets the roasted malt flavor with hints of chocolate and a little coffee. Smooth finish with slight bitter notes at the end.

This is an exceptional beer. The taste is what wow's me the most. Every aspect of it seem to be like a puzzle that's perfect in design and completion. One of the smoothest porters I've had the privilege of reviewing. GREAT BEER ROGUE BREWERY!!! (703 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +15.5%

Eye Candy: Thick, pillowy tan haed over ink black. Deep, dark, mysterious, and inviting.

The Nose Knows: Initial sweet fruit, touch of caramel, all chocolate, slight hop to clear the nose.

Tongueland: Slightly creamy, but just a tad thin. Slight sweet fruit, touch of rich cocoa, finishes bitter chocolate, burnt coffee, lingering hop aftertaste.

Bender: Somehow reminds me of Harveys Christmas Ale mixed with a rich Porter. Another one to add to the usual list. (472 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours black with a caramel head.

In the nose is sweet malt, bareley, coffee and chocolate.

Bitter coffee and chocolate balanced by the sweet malt - all rushes to the back of the mouth in a harmony of flavor. Some coffee notes linger in the front of the mouth - starts tasting thick and ends a little thin - a real nice mouthfeel, and considerably drinkable. (361 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +15.5%

A friend picked up a case to share at our friends going away party, a long with the many other cases that were brought. Out of all of them this was my favorite. For a porter it was hoppy up front, which at first I thought was just me, but then someone else said something out of the blue. Anyway the hops melded to roasted chocolaty malty goodness.

well anyway this beer wasnt spectacular but it was by no means bad, a nice beer for the cool summer night around the fire saying goodbye to a good friend. So what if i may be a little prejudice due to it (555 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

Procured in Johnson City, Tennessee and shipped by air to Moscow. Lots of ingredients listed, including chocolate malt. No freshness info.

Clear dark chocolate brown under a one finger beige head that fades ever so slowly but leaving only a few wisps of lace. Nice caramel and malt nose with a hint of flowery hops. Quite prickly and reasonably heavy, particularly from the sweetness. Nice feel to it, even after the liquid fades. Strong chocolate flavors to start, with a bit of smokiness. Espresso flavors emerge later, particularly as it warms. That dry bite lingers well in the aftertaste, creating a lovely blend of chocolate and coffee. Nice. (652 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer is a dark brown color with a short but thick tan head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: Strong roasted coffee & chocolate malt aroma, as the name implies, along with some smokiness and a little bit of hops.

T: The smoked flavor hits first, then the sweet, roasted mocha-coffee taste, followed by a bitter dark chocolate & hops combination. The smoky flavor is what sticks around in the after-taste. I definitely wasn’t expecting such complexity, which is a pleasant surprise.

M: Rich and very smooth, with medium carbonation, medium body and a clean finish. It doesn’t leave the sticky or oily film that some other beers in this style can.

D: It’s tasty, smooth and goes down easy. Normally I take my time drinking a beer as I review it, but I found myself down to the last sip well before I finished typing the review. I could certainly make short work of a sixer, too bad I just bought one bottle (which is the only downside to mixing a six-pack in those liquor stores that allow it). However, it does seem possible that as you move through a sixer, it may fill you up just a bit. An excellent beer from Rogue. In comparing it within the style, I liked it a bit more the Stone Smoked Porter and the others that I’ve tried. I don’t smoke, but I would image this beer would go well with a cigar too. (1,402 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

The bottle i drank from was a similar label, but different. Almost a pitch black beer that pours with no head. On of the darkest beers i have ever seen. The theme starts off with a coffee color and continues in the same direction with the taste and smell. The smell is kind of like an iced coffee. I wanted to throw some cream and sugar in it. Taste is a coffee bitter, like a black coffee. Mouthfeel was good with an after taste just like coffee. This is a great porter. Glad Rogue is doing it like this. (505 characters)

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales