Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,331 | Hads: 2,713

Served from a 22oz bomber into a glass
Pours a dark brown to mahogany color with a light brown almost white head. Great head retention and some lacing.
Smells mostly of roasted malts with faint coffee smell, couldn't find the chocolate smell like I could with the chocolate stout.
Taste has a great malty sweetness and finishes mostly with coffee hints the chocolate does show up but it's not as pronounced as I expected.
Mouthfeel is light and delicious some slickness on the tounge
Drinkability is exceptional this beer will be a regular in the fridge however I prefer the chocolate stout out of all the rogue beers I've had. (628 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

Rogue Mocha Porter 12oz bottle.

Pitch black with a light brown somewhat creamy head. As you hold it up to light it doesn't remain pitch black but contains ruby highlights throughout. Thick 3-finger head with aggressive pour but it dwindles pretty fast.

I smell some faint hops and roasted malt.

Taste has a pronounced bitterness on the front end, and fades into roasted chocolate in the aftertaste. Hops linger in the post-post-aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is a little slick, medium-heavy body, fair carbonation.

Excellent porter, with a little more bitterness than I've seen in other porters but in my opinion that doesn't detract from it one bit. You'll want another one if you like porters. (701 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

Dark black, lots of carbonation bubbles, huge sudsy/creamy cocoa head, beautiful.
The mocha aroma comes through right off the bat, followed by toasty malts.
Liquid chocolate burnt toast with just the right amount of hop balance.
Thick tongue coating with the fantastic cocoa-malt flavor lingering. The carbonation expands the flavors through the nose.
Very drinkable but the mocha, which adds so much to the flavor, might become tiresome after a while.
Great beer! (469 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours the color of slightly used motor oil. Thick foam head and great lacing.

Smells like toasted malts and some cocoa and vanillin.

Taste is refreshing but bold. All the flavors balance well and accent each other. Bitter hops balance with the malt, then the secondary flavors chime in with sweet caramel, coffee, chocolate, and vanilla. Leaves a pretty heavy bittersweet aftertaste. Great multi dimensional flavor.

Mouthfeel: it seems kind of in between cream and crisp. I'd prefer it to be one or the other.

Overall: Excellent brew. The flavor has been tuned to perfection. (579 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle from BevMo. Dark brown with a small light tan head. Aroma of chocolate, toasted malts, a bit of caramel and coffee. Taste is bittersweet chocolate, toasted caramel and coffee grounds. Backed by a resiny hoppiness that comes through as slightly acidic. Medium bodied with a light texture, dry finish and slightly higher than average carbonation. Could have easily been richer but they kept it drinkable. Love the low ABV. (433 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +14.4%

I found a single bottle of this beer for sale. I'll definitely be going back for a six-pack in the future.

Almost two inches of head, reducing to beautiful lacing.
Such an amazing smell. I picked up on the coffee and chocolate right off the bat.
This beer is definitely worthy of the title "Mocha". Huge chocolatey presence.
The mouthfeel is a best of both worlds of sorts. Starts off sweet and smooth early and gets a bit bitter and "dark chocolate" reminiscent toward the end.
I'm impressed! (495 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +14.4%

From a bottle into a pilsner glass.

A:Pour is a dark mahogany with light kaki head and wispy lace on the glass

S: the first smell is fantastic salted carmel with roasted malts in the background. Possibly some coffee as well

T: not as good as the smell. Mostly roasted malts and a bit of coffee. Totally disappointed that the carmel isn't in the flavor profile.

M: heavy almost chewy but not overwhelming.

O : really good. Might have been a new go to if the carmel was a bit more powerful. (497 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%

Another outstanding offering from the Rogue brewery. Pours pitch black with small beige head that doesn't last long. Tastes of dark roast coffee and semi-sweet chocolate. Nice tight carbonation that dances in your mouth. Good session brew, haven't found a food this one wont go with. (283 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%

A - Black porterly body with 2 finger off-white head (though light was low). Retention was fantastic, as the head was more stout-like in it's complete foaminess.

S - Wow - chocolate, coffee, roasted, nuts, and definitely more. Smelled like a desert and was a great way to end the night.

T - It's everything you could want in a porter or stout, with a sweet dessert treat flawlessly incorporated into it. You get a dominant chocolate/cocoa presence with some notes of coffee and nuttiness and even some blackberry type flavors coming through. One I need to try again, probably multiple times more, to describe the entire flavor. Want to give a 5 here, but need to try again.

M - Very smooth and medium-thick. Great winter drink. Somewhat sticky, very creamy/buttery on the palate. Lingering roasty bitterness that lasts.

D - Since it's so rich, probably couldn't drink all night. But, having one I really wanted another and will probably pick up a 6-pack in the future. (972 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I poured this porter into a pint glass.
Aroma- Dark bodied beer with hints of amber color when the lights hit the other side of the glass. Short head on the beer, that was dark color and thin. Head disappeared quickly. Small bubbles appeared throughout the drinking of the beer.
Smell- Aroma poured out of the bottle faster than the beer did. You can actually smell the roasted mocha flavor. Strong aroma that prepares you for the taste of the beer, and suites the taste of the beer well.
Taste- Classic porter. First taste is a bit of hoppy note. Next, the chocolate/ mocha settles over your tongue and bubbles bring out the roast flavor in the beer. Crisp finish with little aftertaste. Not overbearing by any means.
Mouthfeel- Light mouthfeel, not a "thick" beer at all. Does not bog down your tongue. This porter gives a smooth feeling as your swallow.
Drinkability- I could easily sit and drink one after another. Not too heavy to enjoy more than one of these porter's in one sitting. (989 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Absolutely completely love this one.

Great coffee black color with a darkish brown sticky head just like an espresso.

Smell is really damn close to being as great as Edmund Fitz. Coffee and molasses and like the name implies, mocha and chocolate with a good malty thing happening and a little bit of hops.

Taste is similar with the start being sweet mocha and malt and finishing with an absolutely perfect amount of bitterness and hop bite in the finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth but still pretty lively, really good.

Could drink this all day, all night, and have it for breakfast in the morning. (606 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very dark brew but the faintest hint of light does get through. Very creamy brown head with depth and moderate retention. There is a thick chocolate aroma. Very much like mocha (surprise). I also get a nice roasted malt aroma on the nose. This is my kind of porter. I like a hoppy porter that also exhibits the chocolate and roast qualites without fail. This is it. Similar to the SN Porter. I thought this had a good hop load and indeed it does. I looked up the IBU and it is 54.5 using perle and centennial hops. But this really accentuates the great porter traits in my opinion. I still get great mocha, coffe, bitersweet chocolate and roasted malt tastes. Very good porter. (690 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%

a: aggressive two fingers worth of head appears rapidly and has moderate staying power. almost black with some dark amber and ruby hues.

s: caramel, dark chocolate, coffee.

t: coffee and chocolate bitterness is apparent. malt sweetness follows through and ends with a caramel taste on the tongue.

m: creamy yet dry.

o: I know that Rogue doesn't get a lot of love and admittedly I don't like many of their brews, BUT, this is a great beer. I'm a big fan of porters so I'm happy to see Rogue doing this style right. (518 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured bottle into pint glass

A-Very dark brown that you can't see through except for the very outer edges.

S-A deep breath give you a noise full of the coffee smell you would expect. There is a healthy presence of good dark malt and a slight hint of a caramel malt.

T-Hits you off the bat with the mocha and stays with you all the way through. A very light presence of hops that is a touch more prevalent at the end. The taste of the mocha fades at the end to more of a smoky taste. Leaves with a slightly dry taste probably due to the hops

M-Has a good feel. Not too heavy but certainly not light. Just a little course, but certainly does not hurt the beer.

Overall-This is a great mocha porter for those that like the style and enjoy coffee. It was obviously brewed with this in mind.

Cheers... (803 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark, dark black, held it up to the light and there was not a hint of brown to be seen, just how I like it. Had a thick head to begin with but it faded after the first two sips and eft a bit of a lace on the glass.

The small was malty with a hint of coffee and chocolate, the taste was much the same, malty smooth with chocolate and coffee, however not too sweet.

Very drinkable. Took a sixer to my friend's superbowl party today and other's shyed away from this dark wonder, more for me! Now at the top of my porter's list. (540 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +14.9%

Frothy tan head dissipated quickly which is surprising for a rogue brew. Aroma is light yet carries a dark roasted character and a scent of fresh coffee that is not bitter at all yet it has a faint citrussy hop accent. Taste is superb with a deep chocolate flavor that is clean and delicious. Follows with a malt sweetness that is not carmely but provides a perfect balance and it finishes with a bitter chocolate flavor that has a hoppiness blended into it in a way that i wish i could describe adequately. Mouthfeel is very good as well as it has a very smooth carbonation that lets the flavors roll around your mouth without having a carbonic bite. Very drinkable and as of now it is the best American style porter i have had. (729 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +14.9%

Rogue Mocha Porter is a rich dark brown ale with a fluffy, light caramel colored head. The aroma is of sweet caramel, coffee, chocolate, brown sugar and maybe vanilla. It is full bodied and fluffy; very smooth with a clean finish. The flavor is well balanced with notes of coffee, licorice or fennel, and chocolate. There is a short aftertaste of licorice. Not as 'mocha' as I expected, but an excellent porter-- one that I will buy again!
(rated Jun 26, 2008) (460 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

Procured in Johnson City, Tennessee and shipped by air to Moscow. Lots of ingredients listed, including chocolate malt. No freshness info.

Clear dark chocolate brown under a one finger beige head that fades ever so slowly but leaving only a few wisps of lace. Nice caramel and malt nose with a hint of flowery hops. Quite prickly and reasonably heavy, particularly from the sweetness. Nice feel to it, even after the liquid fades. Strong chocolate flavors to start, with a bit of smokiness. Espresso flavors emerge later, particularly as it warms. That dry bite lingers well in the aftertaste, creating a lovely blend of chocolate and coffee. Nice. (652 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer is a dark brown color with a short but thick tan head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: Strong roasted coffee & chocolate malt aroma, as the name implies, along with some smokiness and a little bit of hops.

T: The smoked flavor hits first, then the sweet, roasted mocha-coffee taste, followed by a bitter dark chocolate & hops combination. The smoky flavor is what sticks around in the after-taste. I definitely wasn’t expecting such complexity, which is a pleasant surprise.

M: Rich and very smooth, with medium carbonation, medium body and a clean finish. It doesn’t leave the sticky or oily film that some other beers in this style can.

D: It’s tasty, smooth and goes down easy. Normally I take my time drinking a beer as I review it, but I found myself down to the last sip well before I finished typing the review. I could certainly make short work of a sixer, too bad I just bought one bottle (which is the only downside to mixing a six-pack in those liquor stores that allow it). However, it does seem possible that as you move through a sixer, it may fill you up just a bit. An excellent beer from Rogue. In comparing it within the style, I liked it a bit more the Stone Smoked Porter and the others that I’ve tried. I don’t smoke, but I would image this beer would go well with a cigar too. (1,402 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

The bottle i drank from was a similar label, but different. Almost a pitch black beer that pours with no head. On of the darkest beers i have ever seen. The theme starts off with a coffee color and continues in the same direction with the taste and smell. The smell is kind of like an iced coffee. I wanted to throw some cream and sugar in it. Taste is a coffee bitter, like a black coffee. Mouthfeel was good with an after taste just like coffee. This is a great porter. Glad Rogue is doing it like this. (505 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a dark, dark brown into my pint glass. Looks black until held up to the light, where it is a barely translucent and very dark brown. At first I thought I could only see light through the edges of my glass, but my friend pointed out that I wasn't holding it at a good angle and that you could indeed see a small amount of light through the whole thing. I got a little over a two finger, tan head that left very heavy lacing throughout.

Smells like an excellent porter. Roasted flavors coming through with a hint of coffee at the end.

Taste is also roasted, with a coffee and chocolate finish. Excellent, excellent taste. This is the best porter I've had in quite some time. Definitely one to keep handy whenever possible. (728 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

This is yet another Rogue beer that I enjoyed. The hops made the lighter mocha flavor more difficult to detect, but it still worked well. I'm glad the malt wasn't roasted any more, it seemed just right. (202 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, purchased in a sixer at BevMo for about $8.

This is a damn good porter. Smell hits you right out of the bottle, even before pouring. Rich flavor with strong coffee and more subtle chocolate.

Slightly over carbonated, meaning taste is a bit delayed - let this one sit in your mouth for a few seconds before swallowing to savor the flavor.

Could have used a tad bit better head retention, but good lacing, and impressively thick body.

Overall a fantastic American porter - another outstanding ale from Rogue. (548 characters)

From notes.

Undated 12oz poured into a pint.

Damn near black with a tan head that is rather large and shows good retention for a porter. Nice lacing effect.

Smells of chocolate, good coffee, and mild hops. Has a slightly nutty aroma.

Tastes very smooth. Roasted malts andcaramel balanced with just the right amount of hop bitterness. Delicious!

Smooth, almost milky mouthfeel. I'm not much of a porter drinker, but I could session with this one for sure. (469 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy the bottle art of this beer.

The appearance is black. Black like tar. Even while back lit this beer is still dark. It has a nice head that lasts... I poured my bottle into a glass and left it on my desk for 20 or so minutes and it still has a nice frothy 1/4 inch of head.

I really need to read more, and smell more, when it comes to identifying aromas. The smell is not overwhelming in any particular direction... I want to say it smells of mocha, but I don't even know what that means! Mocha is in the name so I want to say that's the smell... It's, I guess, a balanced aroma of coffee without any strong smell of hops (the Kudzu Porter from Back Forty smells strongly of hops in comparison).

Someone more experienced than I can probably describe the complexity of the taste. The strongest is, of course, the mocha flavor... hints of chocolate... I find it absolutely delicious. They need to barrel age this stuff in Jack Daniel's barrels so I can contrast it with another local barrel aged porter that I love.

The mouthfeel is kind of creamy... thickish... but with a somewhat refreshing dryness to it...

Overall I love this porter very much. I expected I would from what I'd heard/read about it. I couldn't get it as a single from the liquor store so I had to get a whole six pack and I have no doubt that I will drink them all... maybe even tonight...! (1,370 characters)

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales