Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Mocha PorterMocha Porter

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
3.96/5  rDev +2.3%

LuukGx, Tuesday at 05:51 AM
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Executive Summary: I consider Rogue to have a solid lineup. I don't have any selections in my mind that are superstars, but each one delivers. Mocha Porter is no exception. It's a great porter and they've included the chocolate/coffee element quite nicely.

Appearance: Deep, deep mahogany with ruby accents when held up to the light. Coffee ice cream colored head, finger thick, reduces to a film. Minor lacing.

Smell: Roasted malts, slight hop aroma. Very typical porter aroma - no hint of the titular (giggle) element.

Taste: Aha - there's the mocha! Wow. What a combination. Deep roasted malts up front followed by a distinct (but not overpowering) hop flavor, and finishes out with the mocha accents. It's a nice mix of coffee and chocolate, all against the background of a fine porter profile.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. Light carbonation. Not thick at all, which is exactly the way I expect my porters to be - to me, a good porter should have the flavor boldness of a stout but isn't such an investment in the mouth and in the stomach. Very well done here.

Drinkability: Outstanding in this category. A smooth, pleasant flavor that isn't too overpowering to keep you from having a few. This is a great cool weather brew, and I'd easily kick back with several of these.

kpantz, Feb 17, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: Deep, dark black-brown body. Light brown, whipped-creamy head with lots of staying power and lace all over the place. Small cloud islands in a sea of darkness... doesn't get any more inviting.
Smell: This is a substantial porter... earthy, bitter-sweet chocolate, espresso, dried fruits, slightly smoked. A joy to the nose.
Taste: Porter is a tough style to define... this just might be it. Chocolate notes from both chocolate and chocolate malt. Dry hop bitter finish... very nice, but a tad bitter or me.
Mouthfeel: Not as substantial as a stout, more so than a brown... how about: porter. Creamy, low-medium carbonation level on the tongue.
Drinkability: Fine example of of the style... yet another winner from Rogue.

DagFishHead, Nov 02, 2003
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I never thought I'd come across a 6 pack around here MORE expensive than Lagunitas, but that time has come regarding the new availability of Rogue's Mocha Porter. Still, for the most part with this brewery you get what you pay for, and it is far cheaper than the price of gas it would take for a quick jaunt over the border, all things considered.

Pours out an intense deep opaque black, light impermeable, with a large chunky tan head that eventually settles to still a pretty thick firm cap. A sticky coral reef web of lacing left behind. A more complex aroma than I anticipated, I expected to be overwhelmed by coffee given my last experience with this stuff. Roasted malt, toasted notes, some smokiness, and of course coffee beans, but they're kept in balance with everything else.

Big coffee on the first sip however, along with smoke, wood and earth. An inherent dryness throughout, but very apparent on the finish and lingering long into the aftertaste. Earthy dry roasted coffee pretty much sums up my overall impression of the tastes I'm experiencing. Granted I'm not a coffee drinker, or a huge fan of the stuff, but I can certainly appreciate what they've managed to accomplish with this porter, it's not half-assed by any means. The mouthfeel is silky smooth, but a bit on the lighter side than what one would expect from something with such a massive flavour profile, and simply for a porter. On the plus side it makes all even more deceptively drinkable for such a robust dry tasting ale.

Very enjoyable, and I shall play the good Samaritan and save some of these bottles to share with others who I know will enjoy the coffee-packed experience of this porter.

IronDjinn, May 17, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

My instinct tells me that this one was sitting on the shelf for a long time where I bought it but it smells fine, just not sure how it reflects the fresh batch (bottle dates would help). Pours a very dark brown, almost black color with a two and a half finger head that looks pretty creamy on top but very bubbly around the sides. The head is a nice tan color and has better retention than most other beer. It leaves medium lacing around random spots of the glass. Smell has a lot of roasted coffee and malts in it but overall is kind of weak. Some chocolate is found also. Taste is big on the same things as smell. Lots of roasted malts, coffee and chocolate, although not as much as an RIS. It is a nice lighter version of these flavors and much easier to drink. This beer definitely has the same cocoa flavor of the chocolate stout but not as big. All of the Rogue beers have a similar key flavor to them but I can't describe it, I just feel it once it hits the tongue. The beer tastes a bit watery at times but not overly. The mouthfeel is good on this beer as well. There is definitely some creaminess to it along with a good amount of carbonation. A nice roasty flavor is left on the tongue well after I take my sip. The body is medium but on the watery side of that, it's just hard for me to like coffee/chocolate beers with any watery feel to them. No warming at all hear to speak of. Drinkability is good, the beer tastes good, the price was not bad at all, there really are no off flavors or alcohol so this one could definitely be sessioned reasonably.

cbutova, Nov 12, 2009

12oz bottle

Nice brown porter color with a nice bit of tan head. Orange tints on the side of the glass when held up to the light. Great looking beer.
I pulled Centennial hops when wafting it. When I stuck my nose into the glass it had a fairly rich barley smell. Pretty good smelling beer.
The taste was intriquing. I tasted the hop kick on the back of my throat before I was able to distinguish the roasted malts on the tip of my tongue. It was interesting, and I was pulling coffee in the aftertaste. Overall, it was a pleasurable experience. My only complaint is that it felt really thin for a porter. However, it did coat my tongue fairly nicely.
I really enjoyed this beer, even though I am not a huge porter fan. I will be drinking it again.

poluti, Feb 12, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

6 pack, from Brown Derby in Springfield, Brandee's choice, plus it is $21 for 6 in Calgary.
Poured dark, basically black, with chocolate milk brown foam. Very good head retention, and thick sheets of lace. Smell is malty, with some semi-sweet chocolate. Taste is slightly sweet with coffee and cocoa, has a nice hopped finish that keeps things balanced. Mouthfeel could be a bit fuller, but is not a fault. A top flight flavored porter.

BigBry, Jan 27, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance-Dark brown, caramel colored head. Excellent lacing

Smell-Awesome! Sweet fruit with a hint of coffee. Amazing!

Taste-Slight disappointment after the smell. Nothing ground breaking here. Average American Porter style. Smooth coffee flavor, was hoping for more of a fruit taste.

Mouthfeel-Nice heavy feeling on the tongue. You know this is a beer when you're drinking it.

Drinkability-Above average. I was surprised this had as low an ABV as it does, it feels like it would have more. All in all a nice beer.

billyzoom666, Mar 06, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.
A- A dark dark brown, almost ink black, with a 3/4" tan creamy looking head with a slight bit of lacing on the glass.
S-The smell definitely reflects the mocha. It smells like chocolate, coffee, and almost burnt malt.
T- The taste is similar with an almost burnt taste. Quite tasty with a chocolate/coffee taste immediately and then a late roasted malt taste with an aftertaste that is remeniscent of toast. Quite good. A good hop taste for a porter, particularly one that places such emphasis on chocolatiness.
M-Low carbonation. A lot lighter weight than I expected. Not quite watery, but thinner than I expected for a porter.
O-I really enjoyed the taste of this and it is light enough to drink a few but the coffee/chocolate taste of this one makes it a beer that I would limit to a couple per sitting.
Quite sessionable in comparison to other porter's.

jsprain1, Apr 27, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: 12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel glass. Thin 1 cm tan head on top of a dark brown beer. The head gradually thins leaving nice lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell: Toasty malt nose with a bit of coffee and a sandy scent. Very malty with a gritty brown sugar scent.

Taste: Big coffee flavor up front with a sweet caramel top to it. Very roasty and toasty with a gritty coffee ground feel. This beer lives up to its name very well. It is sweet with toasty dark malts like a good porter. The coffee flavor enhances the malt instead of covering it or hiding a lousy beer. Well balanced sweetness with toasty malt and coffee round out a this lovely brew.

Mouthfeel: Gritty and raw and rich. The texture matches the brown sugar and coffee flavors very well.

Drinkability: Very tasty and well rounded. Lovely coffee flavor in a tasty sweet porter. Enjoyable if you like coffee...and I like coffee.

BrewMaster, Sep 27, 2005
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

This is my first American craft beer if I don't count Samuel Adams and I'm very interested to taste an American interpretation of an English classic.

APPEARANCE: Typical porter brownish black. Head looks like that of an expresso, kind of yellowish.

SMELL: Soft porter smell, not strong. I can sense a sweetness. Sucking the last drip from the rim of the bottle I get a taste of mocha coffee and even rose water.

TASTE: A typical smokey, tart porter flavour with a pleasant softness that creates an interesting balance. The coffee is subtle, adding a levelling mellowness to the brew. Ever so slightly hoppy too. There's a subtle sherbet flavour which provides a tingling sensation on the gums.

OVERALL: Both disappointed and impressed. I thought the coffee would be way more upfront but it only imparted a soft mellowing sweetness to the balance, which actually made for a nice tasting porter anyway. One of the best I've had, albeit I've never had a bad one.

Hoppsbabo, Mar 21, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured an opaque black with a light brown creamy head. Aroma consisted of rich semi-sweet chocolate, a touch of hops and a bit of caramel. Full bodied flavor. Mouthfeel was sharp from the carbonation. Bittersweet chocolate flavor up front with a burnt malt and coffee middle. Finish is a somewhat dry with a bitter hop blast that follows up with a return to the chocolate flavor. An extremely delicious treat and another fine Rogue product.

Winter, Jan 02, 2003
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

What you have here its a nice porter but I was waiting for a more tastier brew.

Used my Sams pint glass, and it poured a very dark brown brew with a brownish medium crown. Full body, nice carbonation. Roasted dark coffe along with dark chocolate with some hints of darkend malts, no alcohol perceived. The chocolate lingers on from the first sip until the coffe its percieved closely towards the end. A coffe ruled aftertaste thats somewhat dry.

MeMyselfNAles7, Oct 11, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Imperial Pint Glass

A: Appears almost black, russet tones when held to light, massive light brown head that dissolves chunkily.

S: Mocha (surprisingly), quite sweet

T: Intense coffee and chocolate followed by rear-mouth bitterness, but after the first two sips I became slightly numbed to this

M: Slightly more watery than I expected, but this was after drinking a cream stout

D: The bitterness seemed to ruin my palate, but I would certainly buy this beer again another day

Rogue always gets points for style

RealityGrill, Jul 14, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: Creamy beige head that quickly dissipates. The body is dark brown-black.

Smell: Centennial hops is the only first impression. Looking beyond them there are dark roasted malts and some coffeish notes. Mocha? Not really.

Taste: Hoppy, coffeish, and even a bit of chocolate, in that order. Slightly burnt flavor from dark roasted malts that is spurred on by the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation.

I bought a six-pack of this to try. At first I was a little disappointed in the, perhaps excessive, use of Cascade-like Centennial hops. They are too prominent and aromatic for the style in my taste and they are too readily available in the nose to allow any mocha aroma to come through (if there is any in there). As I've worked through the sixer I've learned to appriciate it for what it is though. Great accompaniment to a dessert such as an almond cake.

zakery, Oct 04, 2002
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

The look of this beer is pretty good. Dark, dark, deep brown... almost black, but not quite. Nice head retention. Creamy/off-white with lacing to boot.

Smell is floral and of hops at first. Then chocolate and coffee. Roasted malt.

Palate is good... a touch rough on the carbonation front, but not horrible.

Overall a nice choice.

Fugazme, Nov 12, 2005
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: This beer is black. Period. No questions asked. It had a big, dark brown head that dissipated quickly and left a lot of pretty lace.

Smell: No surprises here. This beer smelled like it looked. Definitely bitter chocolate and coffee aromas. You can tell this bad boy is going to be bitter. Oh, yeah . . .

Mouthfeel: A little thin for me on the mouthfeel, and thinner than many other porters that I have had.

Taste: Once again, no surprises here. This was a powerful, bitter porter. It's hard for me to pick out individual flavors in beers with this much *umph*, so I won't even try. But trust me, it was good!

I've had it before and I will definitely have it again.

Quaffer, Feb 05, 2003
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. Beer is brown (dark) to black, carbonation is low, head is almost nonexistent, and there is no lacing.

The aroma is mostly roast, roasted malt and coffee. Second smell there may be some chocolate in there.

Beer tastes about as it smells. High roast, some chocolate bitterness and a little sweetness, coffee. Surprisingly, not a big aftertaste. Medium body, ok drinkability, good mouthfeel.

drabmuh, Nov 24, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

I took this out of the fridge to let warm up a bit before drinking; a good decision. Poured thick black with a ruby-brown tint. Nice head to start, but didn't stay too long. Smells very sweet and roasted. It has a nice thick taste, though the mouthfeel is a bit thin. Very prominent chocolate flavor, with slight roasted coffee aftertaste. I couldn't drink much of these in a sitting, but I'm definitely going to buy a sixer to keep in the fridge.

jubnat, Nov 10, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Muddy, dark chocolate body with minimal transparency. Huge 2+ finger, fluffy, tan head on top. Head decays slowly and unevenly, dragging lots of soapy lacing behind it.

Smell: Malt, chocolate flakes, faint mocha, herbs, and piney hops.

Taste: Lots of malt upfront, accompanied by dark chocolate, roasted notes, possibly some dairy, and a generous dosage of bitter, woody, hops. Aftertaste is of roasted malt and hop bitterness. Not getting a whole lot of mocha, but definitely enjoying this one.

Mouthfeel: Cool and creamy with close to a milk-like consistency. Not too heavy, which is nice. Carbonation is right where it should be, and providing some nice excitement on the palate. Finishes oily, a bit chewy, and bitter. Nice.

Drinkability: Hoppier than your average, and better than your average porter. Unique, tasty, and refreshing. I'd have no problem drinking a couple more of these, and I may seek this one out again in the future.

ThreeWiseMen, Feb 23, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Even for a porter, the Rogue Mocha pours a tremendously opaque brown, almost black. A thin, but uniformly solid tan head with minimal fragrances, mostly malt but with the faintest touch of cocoa also present.

The taste really built with every subsequent sip. The first provided a smooth, smokey, but otherwise unremarkable flavor. The second opened up the chocolate & the following drinks sustained these notes with the additional presence of tobacco & maltiness making for an exceptionally well-rounded porter.

The carbonation & thickness are just perfect as porters go, making for a supremely drinkable liquid. And as usual, the holywater used by Rogue prevents any lingering aftertaste to ruin the experience. A great beer.

malcontent, Aug 07, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: Deep black pour with chocolate edging. A nice tan head forms. I am disturbed by the yeast floaties that are moving throughout the body of this beer.

Smell: Roasted grains, bitter chocolate, a little creamed coffee on the nose as well.

Taste: Sweet coffee, burnt marshmallows, vanilla, a little oak, maybe a touch of chocolate, and french roasted coffee. A nice blend of coffee-chocolate-roast combinations that I've come to love in my porters. Definitely starts sweeter and there is a nice balance between coffee bitterness and the sweetness throughout the beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and dry. Leaves a touch of a bitter finish.

Drinkability: Pretty good overall. Very interesting and not a challenge on the palate at all. No off flavors and makes for an enjoyable session. Recommended.

mattcrill, Jul 17, 2005
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from bomber into pint glass @ 45 degrees.

A: Dark brownish-black with ruby hints at the edges. 1 finger of tan head that quickly turns into a solid blanket, and no sticky trails.

S: Roasted coffee beans and dark chocolate, bit of smokiness and some sweet caramel. Not terribly assertive, but pleasant.

T/M: Smoky roastiness up front with some coffee and chocolate flavors toward the middle. Neither is really dominant, which is odd for a beer called "Mocha Porter." The mocha is very mild, very subdued, and defers to the smokiness and bitterness at either end of the sip. Finish is dry, crisp, and bitter with a long, creamy, burned tail. Mouthfeel is creamy. Nicely hopped.

D: I'm becoming a pretty big Rogue fan. This beer is really, really nice. Perhaps I haven't been trying the right porters, but I've always defined them as "watery stouts." This isn't as robust as a stout, obviously, but it's not a watery anything. Clean flavors, well-balanced, and a really nice abv. I can, and will, drink more of this beer.

rarevos, Sep 22, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Pint on tap at the wonderful Bronx Ale House.

Appearance: Dark brown, with a light tan one-finger head. I like the color contrast, but I don't like how quickly the head vanishes with no lacing.

Smell: Delicious. Roasted espresso beans dominate with notes of bitter chocolate. I like where this is going.

Taste: Extremely reminiscent of those dark chocolate-covered roasted espresso beans I popped to stay awake for big papers in school (hey, it beats Ritalin). It's pretty bitter on the way down, which I like.

Mouthfeel: Body's on the light side for a Porter, with low carbonation. Not doing a lot for me.

Drinkability/Overall: A very solid Porter. I'd have one in place of a post-dinner coffee. The mediocre mouthfeel stops it from being the best Mocha beer I've had recently (Southern Tier), but it gets the job done.

CharlatanSin, Nov 29, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Handsome dark beer with a beautiful pour. Good head initially that settles to a heavy topcoat, good lacing. Good looking beer.

Lots of chocolate, coffee and malt in the nose, alongside a whiff of molasses. Solid and appetizing.

Slightly sweet up front, dry and bitter up the middle and to finish. Again, lots of chocolate and coffee, good hop presence. Slightly creamy, but also somewhat unexpectedly thin-bodied, touch of acidity to finish.

Overall an enjoyable beer with a number of interesting characteristcs. Definitely worth a try.

TerryW, Mar 21, 2006