Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Mocha PorterMocha Porter

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
CU570M

Washington

4.53/5  rDev +17.1%

The bottle i drank from was a similar label, but different. Almost a pitch black beer that pours with no head. On of the darkest beers i have ever seen. The theme starts off with a coffee color and continues in the same direction with the taste and smell. The smell is kind of like an iced coffee. I wanted to throw some cream and sugar in it. Taste is a coffee bitter, like a black coffee. Mouthfeel was good with an after taste just like coffee. This is a great porter. Glad Rogue is doing it like this.

01-23-2007 16:11:33 | More by CU570M
Chickenhawk9932

4.53/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours black with a caramel head.

In the nose is sweet malt, bareley, coffee and chocolate.

Bitter coffee and chocolate balanced by the sweet malt - all rushes to the back of the mouth in a harmony of flavor. Some coffee notes linger in the front of the mouth - starts tasting thick and ends a little thin - a real nice mouthfeel, and considerably drinkable.

09-01-2010 20:23:51 | More by Chickenhawk9932
scruffwhor

4.53/5  rDev +17.1%

A deep brown color with a light brown head. Two fingers of head yielded after it was poured into my 650ml Family Guy mug. Went from filmy foam to ring-o-foam at the end of the beer. The smell was a mix of hoppy coffee and baker's chocolate. Flavor was similar to the smell. With more of a bitter chocolate start, a smokey coffee middle, and a roasted mocha, vanilla, kona, hop finish.

07-02-2006 21:19:07 | More by scruffwhor
RenoZymurgist

Nevada

4.53/5  rDev +17.1%

Frothy tan head dissipated quickly which is surprising for a rogue brew. Aroma is light yet carries a dark roasted character and a scent of fresh coffee that is not bitter at all yet it has a faint citrussy hop accent. Taste is superb with a deep chocolate flavor that is clean and delicious. Follows with a malt sweetness that is not carmely but provides a perfect balance and it finishes with a bitter chocolate flavor that has a hoppiness blended into it in a way that i wish i could describe adequately. Mouthfeel is very good as well as it has a very smooth carbonation that lets the flavors roll around your mouth without having a carbonic bite. Very drinkable and as of now it is the best American style porter i have had.

09-10-2003 04:38:13 | More by RenoZymurgist
NiceGuyMike

4.55/5  rDev +17.6%

Dark, dark, dark brown almost black. Light doesn't penetrate the glass from the side, but I can get a little bit thought the edges. Nice fine tan colored head that hangs around for a few minutes with a decent amount of lacing.

Smells of malty dark chocolates. Tastes of intense bitter chocolate coffee. Very creamy, almost a coffee with cream flavor and feel. Silky, yet some effervescence keeps the tongue from falling asleep. Finishes with bitter chocolates in the back of the mouth. This is masterful and not at all what I expected.

Notes: My second sip, I came to the conclusion this would be great first thing in the morning instead of coffee.

this is a hearty brew for hearty foods. Not a great summer meal accompaniment. Something to be sip nice and slowly on a cold evening or better yet, a cold morning.

This one reminded me of my first Taddy Porter years ago. It was a great experience and one I thought I'd never relive. So for that I thank Rogue.

09-13-2005 01:56:48 | More by NiceGuyMike
jtw5877

4.55/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours a deep deep brownish black hue with a quickly diminishing head. Malty aroma and taste with chocolate and coffee, and caramel overtones. Finishes with a little bitterness to round off the maltiness. A very solid enjoyable beer. This is certain to be a staple in my fride this fall.

10-01-2006 18:17:33 | More by jtw5877
Ryan_Graham

Iowa

4.56/5  rDev +17.8%

A: Dark Amber. Very Foamy. Retains head.

S: Chocolaty with a hint of something else. I can't really put my finger on it. A fruity kind of smell.

T: You can taste the coffee but it doesn't overpower you. It goes down surprisingly smooth for a chocolate tasting beer.

M: A light carbonation. Not too heavy. It hangs like syrup on the back of your tongue.

O: When I saw that this was a "Mocha" beer, my first thought was ehhh. I want my beer to taste like beer, not a cheap Starbucks latte. However, I was pleasantly surprised. It doesn't knock you over with the coffee taste. Very smooth. Great balance. Great beer.

07-21-2013 04:21:36 | More by Ryan_Graham
becktone

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%

From notes 10-3-08

Eye: Very dark brown in color, I'd say dark chocolate brown with some blood red/garnet highlights coming through when light makes it through this beer. Head has good formation and retention, a little over a finger's width. Color of the head is tan and texture is creamy. Lacing is pretty nice, leaving rings around the glass with some thin curtains between layers of rings.

Nose: Before the cap is even off, just after the seal is broken, I can smell sweet chocolate malty aromas. With the glass right up in my nose the chocolate aroma is prevalant. No coffee aromas here, no burnt aromas...really only that chocolate aroma....with a bit of time elapsed I am getting more dark malt aromas which give a deeper character to the chocolate aroma, mabe some dark fruits as well, just hints of plum or rasin, I can't tell which...hidden pretty damn good in the very back.

Tongue: My second impression of this one is lots of chocolate as the name implies; first impression is dark fruits, though I'm not sure which ones-definitely juicy though, right there on the front of the tongue. The chocolate flavor gives balance to the sweet fruitiness that hits right upfront. Some smokey flavor and definite bitterness of black malt. A slightly sour/tart impression upfront with the fruity tones give the beer an "authentic" English porter taste that melds and balances quite nicely with the big chocolate flavor that follows and is in turn followed by black malt bitterness. Maybe that fruitiness that accompanies the tartness is black cherry? At any rate I think that its the tartness that implies a dark fruit flavor. Not to say that its not there, but I think that the slight tartness is definitely implying a fruit flavor, causing my palate to perceive a dark fruit flavor that might not necessarily be in the beer, but is still tasted because it is implied by the tartness. Seems alot like modern logic if you ask me. At any rate this is a great porter.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Medium bodied in the mouth with small delicate and light carbonation that only compliments the beer. Finish is on the dry side which fits real nicely with the sharp bitterness of black malt. Kinda slick or oily on in the mouth....the beer itself is really smooth, velvety, like ribbons of slik toying round the tongue. This is a really nice porter, perfect for drinking on those cool autumn days. This is one I'll be adding to my "standards" list as far as porters go. Give it a whirl, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

11-09-2008 16:41:16 | More by becktone
Ig0r

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%

The pour gave a tall, smooth head that stuck around for a long while. The color is dark and almost totally opaque; when held up to light a very dark brown shows through.

The smell is burnt toast with a bit of spiciness. The feel is thick and coating with a bit of carbonation. Initial flavor is roasted coffee (not surprising) with a strong bitterness. The aftertaste is surprisingly strong, bready and charcoal.

The flavor is strong enough that there is no taste of alcohol at any time. In some ways the flavor is overpowering, but it's not out-of-place or unexpected.

04-14-2008 23:48:03 | More by Ig0r
dedrick

4.6/5  rDev +18.9%

This was poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle.

A- Creamy, ivory, thick head. about two inches (though I gave it somewhat of a vicious pour). Very dark golden brown. Golden Ruby when held to the light. Heavy lacing.

S- Wonderful coffee, nutty smell.

T- This beer has a great taste. The traditional porter style is there but with a slight bitter coffee spin. Warm, fairly dry flavor. You have to really search for the sweetness but it's there toward the end.

M- Good feel. Creamy and smooth. Not too watery or thick.

D- very.

This is a great beer. I'm very pleased with it. The after taste is wonderful also, like banana bread or something nutty.

03-31-2010 23:39:14 | More by dedrick
birddogg66

Hawaii

4.6/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured into a 16 oz Pint glass

A-Deep dark color, a little purple when held up to a light, great brown/tan head. Not a lot of lacing.

S-Rich chocolate, coffee, maybe a hint of vanilla.

T-Roasted coffee, chocolate. Loved the almost iced coffee with cream flavors

M-Very smooth and creamy. Very easy beer to drink, wouldn't consider it session at all though.

D-I really enjoyed the Porter. I am a big fan of porters in general, and this one was really nice. I had sent my fiancee to the store to pick up a different beer, but this is the one she bought. I have been pleasantly surprised.

10-20-2010 21:01:12 | More by birddogg66
RPFinn

Colorado

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%

A: pours dark brown with a solid tan head. good retention, very even. Nice looking brew.

S: Big sweet malt on the nose. Toffee and caramel up front. Roasted barley and light chocolate notes towards the end.

T: Sweet chocolate. Beautifully balanced. Toffee and caramel reappear after the chocolate at the forefront. Excellent balance. Roasted barley and smokiness emerge as it warms to room temp.

M: Great mouthfeel on this beer. Not quite chewy, but substantial enough for what I'm expecting from a Rogue Porter.

D: Superb. Dangerously drinkable. I love this beer, and want to savor it, but I can't put it down...

09-06-2010 00:01:40 | More by RPFinn
Thiestru

Georgia

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint-sized pub glass.

Appearance: This is one of the best looking beers I've ever seen. It has a hazy, deep reddish-brown color; it's very nearly black. I had to look at it in sunlight to tell that it's not. The head is beautiful: light brown, with a thickness of one finger that lasts for a lnog time. Eventually you get a nice, even covering, and excellent lacing.

Smell: Dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, and coffee.

Taste: Dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, and coffee. The coffee hides behind the malts a good bit. There's basically no bitterness here. Damn, is this refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy but not quite as thick as I'd expect. Actually, it reminds me a lot of a Guinnness Stout (not Extra Stout, mind), but with a bit more body, and more (better) flavor.

Drinkability: I could drink this all day. Because it's not as thick as some similar beers, it's not extraordinarily filling, although still very hearty.

I'll be keeping this one around.

06-12-2008 17:05:09 | More by Thiestru
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%

This beer poured a nice black color with a finger of head that fell to coat the beer. The nose was a nice full chocolate with slight roasted tones, a touch of sweet caramel as well. The flavor was chocolate upfront and in my face, moving to a well hopped coffee bitter finish. Very nice. The feel was thick and creamy, smooth and very drinkable. A very well built beer, with a really nice flavor. I enjoyed this beer a great deal.

01-08-2005 21:48:40 | More by kmpitz2
ultralarry2006

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle. Leaves a big two finger espresso foam colored head that has excellent retention, and it leaves excellent lacing. Body is black. Beautiful to behold.

Smell - the nose is filled with rich aromas of chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, and bitter pine resin. Mouthwatering.

Taste - exactly as promised by the smell. A big wash of bitter pine resin upfront, followed by rich flavors of chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt. Very delicious.

Mouthfeel - full bodied, and slightly semi-dry.

Drinkability - this is excellent ale, and it is totally sessionable.

03-17-2008 16:29:00 | More by ultralarry2006
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%

This comes out of the tap an opaque sable with a thick, camel color finely-bubbled head. Strong aroma is like smoky coffee and has a firm tone of unsweetened chocolate and hints of molasses. Rich, satisfying flavor is like a mocha, fine roast coffee and chocolate, not sweet but not bitter either. Finish is smooth and sleek. Recommended to all porter and stout fans.

12-16-2008 00:26:42 | More by Cyberkedi
Murph

Arizona

4.65/5  rDev +20.2%

This is one of my favorite beers. You really couldn't do a much better job of capturing a mocha flavor in a beer. The taste and drinkablity are great. Smouth mouthfeel and it finishes pretty clean for the abundance of mocha taste. All in all a highly drinkable beer.

02-16-2001 18:12:24 | More by Murph
maddamish

Tennessee

4.65/5  rDev +20.2%

Ap: This beers color is a dark brown. I cannot see through it in my glass. It seems to pour out as thick as a stout. Medium sized head that turned into islands of lace.

Smell: Coffee and caramel notes with a hint of alcohol in the background.

Taste: Expresso and burnt chocolate malts with (again) a hint of alcohol in the background. Despite the mocha label this is not a sweet beer but one that tends toward the bitter side.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Lighter than a stout but heavier than your average porter. I would even classify this as an imperial porter.

Drinkability/Notes: Not a bad porter at all. One of the better one's out there as a matter of fact. This is not one to introduce to new Ba's but reserve it for the more mature beer drinker.

12-20-2005 08:56:01 | More by maddamish
lordbrad1

4.68/5  rDev +20.9%

I can't say enough good things about this beer. I had it from a pint glass. The appearance was great. Nice and dark, with a solid mocha colored head. The taste was amazing. Every mouthful was full of flavor, and went down smooth. I could drink it all day...and have lol. Run out and get some today.

12-03-2005 14:06:47 | More by lordbrad1
TheRealBigC

Nevada

4.68/5  rDev +20.9%

For my money, this is the richest, best porter I've had to date. Despite its sort of flat appearance, the mocha smell and taste is strong and that's just what I wanted. It's a little creamier than some other popular porters, which is something else I appreciate. Last time I visited the Rogue alehouse I had the Hazelnut Brown and followed it up with this - tasted exactly like a chilled hazelnut coffee. Lovely!

07-28-2012 19:48:09 | More by TheRealBigC
John

4.7/5  rDev +21.4%

Amazing brew. Robust and smooth. Rogue never ceases to amaze.

10-31-2001 08:54:11 | More by John
AdamBear

4.7/5  rDev +21.4%

A-very dark brown, almost black with a good amount of dark tan head. has some nice lacing as well.

S-smells like ground coffee but mostly malty. it has medium strength

T-it honestly tastes like dark roasted fresh ground coffee in liquid form. In and out it keeps this great taste. The after-taste is matching. Every part of this strong flavored and lacks any poor qualities. I don't care much for Rogue brews but I am honestly quite happy with this! this might be one of the best, full bodied porters that I've had.

M-this has a good creamy, medium carbonation with a fairly dry finish.

D-Well I'll definitely have this again and I'll definitely bring this up anytime porters are mentioned. I could drink this all night long. Well done Rogue!

02-16-2011 04:33:59 | More by AdamBear
thartman

4.7/5  rDev +21.4%

Went to a semi-local pub and with about a fifteen beers on tap and I went for the Rogue handle. The current Rogue selection was the Mocha Porter.

The porter served up dark brown with a thin head and some lacings. The smell was sweet and chocolatey and malty. The taste was exceptional and satisfying ... delicious.

The mouthfeel was very smooth and creamy, and it and so easy to drink, that I ordered a second. This beer fills up the belly, and would be great as a main course in itself, or nice as a desert beer.

11-29-2007 00:03:03 | More by thartman
yuenglingfan101

Indiana

4.72/5  rDev +22%

One of the best porters I have ever had. Looks great. Dark and rich with tan head. Smells chocolatety and taste of coffee and dark chocholate. The mouthful is the same as the taste. Not the best tasting, but it is very smooth for a crisp flavor if you like both chocolate and coffee. Could drink several of these beers as it smooth and creamy.

10-06-2010 15:38:36 | More by yuenglingfan101
RonfromJersey

4.72/5  rDev +22%

22 oz bomber bottle. Dark brown body with ruby highlights. Huge, mountainous tan head. Coffee and chocolate with hint of hops hiding in back in an apt description of both the aroma and taste. Starts down smooth, but there is a hop tickle at the end, to be expected from Rogue. This is a great porter. I'll say good night and finish the bottle over a good book.

07-27-2002 21:06:05 | More by RonfromJersey