Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Mocha PorterMocha Porter

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark, dark black, held it up to the light and there was not a hint of brown to be seen, just how I like it. Had a thick head to begin with but it faded after the first two sips and eft a bit of a lace on the glass.

The small was malty with a hint of coffee and chocolate, the taste was much the same, malty smooth with chocolate and coffee, however not too sweet.

Very drinkable. Took a sixer to my friend's superbowl party today and other's shyed away from this dark wonder, more for me! Now at the top of my porter's list.

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours with an enormous head. So large that I could not pour the entire 12 oz bottle into a pint glass in one pour. After waiting a few minutes for the head to dissipate, I finished the pour. The head retention on this beer is great as well. I enjoyed the rocky, dark tan head for several minutes, and it left a very thick lace on the glass and kept a fairly thick ring around the edge of the glass througout the entire beer. The body of the beer is dark brown. The aroma is of sweet chocolate and some coffee notes mixed with a hint of hops aroma. The taste is a kaleidescope of flavors that seemed to change with every sip. From bitter hops, to dark chocolate, to coffee, to roasted malt, then sweet chocolate. This beer had very complex flavors that were extremely enjoyable. The mouthfeel was good, but not a thick as I think the beer deserves, as a thicker mouthfeel may complement the wide array of flavors better. The drinkability is also fairly good. This is an enjoyable brew, even considering the over agressive head I experienced on the pour (which often times can be frustrating).

4.46/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy the bottle art of this beer.

The appearance is black. Black like tar. Even while back lit this beer is still dark. It has a nice head that lasts... I poured my bottle into a glass and left it on my desk for 20 or so minutes and it still has a nice frothy 1/4 inch of head.

I really need to read more, and smell more, when it comes to identifying aromas. The smell is not overwhelming in any particular direction... I want to say it smells of mocha, but I don't even know what that means! Mocha is in the name so I want to say that's the smell... It's, I guess, a balanced aroma of coffee without any strong smell of hops (the Kudzu Porter from Back Forty smells strongly of hops in comparison).

Someone more experienced than I can probably describe the complexity of the taste. The strongest is, of course, the mocha flavor... hints of chocolate... I find it absolutely delicious. They need to barrel age this stuff in Jack Daniel's barrels so I can contrast it with another local barrel aged porter that I love.

The mouthfeel is kind of creamy... thickish... but with a somewhat refreshing dryness to it...

Overall I love this porter very much. I expected I would from what I'd heard/read about it. I couldn't get it as a single from the liquor store so I had to get a whole six pack and I have no doubt that I will drink them all... maybe even tonight...!

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Another outstanding offering from the Rogue brewery. Pours pitch black with small beige head that doesn't last long. Tastes of dark roast coffee and semi-sweet chocolate. Nice tight carbonation that dances in your mouth. Good session brew, haven't found a food this one wont go with.

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Procured in Johnson City, Tennessee and shipped by air to Moscow. Lots of ingredients listed, including chocolate malt. No freshness info.

Clear dark chocolate brown under a one finger beige head that fades ever so slowly but leaving only a few wisps of lace. Nice caramel and malt nose with a hint of flowery hops. Quite prickly and reasonably heavy, particularly from the sweetness. Nice feel to it, even after the liquid fades. Strong chocolate flavors to start, with a bit of smokiness. Espresso flavors emerge later, particularly as it warms. That dry bite lingers well in the aftertaste, creating a lovely blend of chocolate and coffee. Nice.

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer is a dark brown color with a short but thick tan head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: Strong roasted coffee & chocolate malt aroma, as the name implies, along with some smokiness and a little bit of hops.

T: The smoked flavor hits first, then the sweet, roasted mocha-coffee taste, followed by a bitter dark chocolate & hops combination. The smoky flavor is what sticks around in the after-taste. I definitely wasn’t expecting such complexity, which is a pleasant surprise.

M: Rich and very smooth, with medium carbonation, medium body and a clean finish. It doesn’t leave the sticky or oily film that some other beers in this style can.

D: It’s tasty, smooth and goes down easy. Normally I take my time drinking a beer as I review it, but I found myself down to the last sip well before I finished typing the review. I could certainly make short work of a sixer, too bad I just bought one bottle (which is the only downside to mixing a six-pack in those liquor stores that allow it). However, it does seem possible that as you move through a sixer, it may fill you up just a bit. An excellent beer from Rogue. In comparing it within the style, I liked it a bit more the Stone Smoked Porter and the others that I’ve tried. I don’t smoke, but I would image this beer would go well with a cigar too.

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

This porter should be enjoyed in front of a roaring fire, in a lodge in a complete relaxing mode.
Exellent.
Almost coal black with a firm tan crown combining later with a thick ring and pleasing glass cling.
Carbonation is undetermined due to the hue, but it sure feels more than adequate.
The scent is that of a burnt dark chocolate.
The taste exceptional...burried malts to accent the hop lead.
Coffee beans, dark chocolate, assortment of nuts and cream.
Hats off Rogue, you have done it again.

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Eye Candy: Thick, pillowy tan haed over ink black. Deep, dark, mysterious, and inviting.

The Nose Knows: Initial sweet fruit, touch of caramel, all chocolate, slight hop to clear the nose.

Tongueland: Slightly creamy, but just a tad thin. Slight sweet fruit, touch of rich cocoa, finishes bitter chocolate, burnt coffee, lingering hop aftertaste.

Bender: Somehow reminds me of Harveys Christmas Ale mixed with a rich Porter. Another one to add to the usual list.

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a dark, dark brown into my pint glass. Looks black until held up to the light, where it is a barely translucent and very dark brown. At first I thought I could only see light through the edges of my glass, but my friend pointed out that I wasn't holding it at a good angle and that you could indeed see a small amount of light through the whole thing. I got a little over a two finger, tan head that left very heavy lacing throughout.

Smells like an excellent porter. Roasted flavors coming through with a hint of coffee at the end.

Taste is also roasted, with a coffee and chocolate finish. Excellent, excellent taste. This is the best porter I've had in quite some time. Definitely one to keep handy whenever possible.

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

This is yet another Rogue beer that I enjoyed. The hops made the lighter mocha flavor more difficult to detect, but it still worked well. I'm glad the malt wasn't roasted any more, it seemed just right.

From notes.

Undated 12oz poured into a pint.

Damn near black with a tan head that is rather large and shows good retention for a porter. Nice lacing effect.

Smells of chocolate, good coffee, and mild hops. Has a slightly nutty aroma.

Tastes very smooth. Roasted malts andcaramel balanced with just the right amount of hop bitterness. Delicious!

Smooth, almost milky mouthfeel. I'm not much of a porter drinker, but I could session with this one for sure.

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

The beer pours a deep, dark brown, with some garnet hues when held to light. The head on this fella was huge. It was a better than two finger head of pillowy tan foam that subsides to a lingering cap of foam and nice show of lace that lasts throughout.
The aroma is full of coffee and some chocolate, and a distinct Rogue aroma. I can't pinpoint it exactly, I just know it's Rogue. Must be the Oregon water or something...
The taste of this porter is delicious. It's full of coffee, roast, and bitter chocolate as well as a moderate hop bitterness. The finish has some astringincy and hint of bitter chocolate near the end. The mouthfeel is moderate in feel and carbonation.
I keep this on stock in my house. It's one of my favorite go-to beers. A wonderful offering from John Maier and Rogue.

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Ap. Very dark beer with a great tan head that lingers awhile. Nice lacing on the glass, too.
Sm. Toasted coffee/malt? and chocolate, too.
Ta. Very toasted/burnt coffe/malt. Smooth finish.
Mf. Very mellow and soft with a nice carbonation.
Dr. I am really sorry there was only one cold bottle in the fridge. Fabulous with a Harry and David's Dark Chocolate Truffle.

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a bottle into a Schooner glass. Didn't see a best before date on the bottle.

A - dark brown, but not black. Slightly lighter than other porters with a bit of light actually passing through! Nice fluffy half inch head that hangs around and adds some nice lacing as I drink this beauty.

S - very slightly grass with big chocolate malt and caramel, and just a hint of coffee.

T - initially a little bitter with a bite resolving into a nice complex malt and coffee with just a bit of booziness.

M - nicely balanced between lightness and satisfying "weight" of a darker beer. Just a hint of bitterness at the back of the throat.

D - exceptionally drinkable, surprisingly so. Was expecting something heavier, but this goes down very well.

This is a great beer; heard good things about it, came with expectations and wasn't disappointed.

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Rogue Mocha Porter is a rich dark brown ale with a fluffy, light caramel colored head. The aroma is of sweet caramel, coffee, chocolate, brown sugar and maybe vanilla. It is full bodied and fluffy; very smooth with a clean finish. The flavor is well balanced with notes of coffee, licorice or fennel, and chocolate. There is a short aftertaste of licorice. Not as 'mocha' as I expected, but an excellent porter-- one that I will buy again!
(rated Jun 26, 2008)

4.48/5  rDev +16.1%

a: aggressive two fingers worth of head appears rapidly and has moderate staying power. almost black with some dark amber and ruby hues.

s: caramel, dark chocolate, coffee.

t: coffee and chocolate bitterness is apparent. malt sweetness follows through and ends with a caramel taste on the tongue.

m: creamy yet dry.

o: I know that Rogue doesn't get a lot of love and admittedly I don't like many of their brews, BUT, this is a great beer. I'm a big fan of porters so I'm happy to see Rogue doing this style right.

4.49/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The aroma at first gives off lots of brown sugar with a prune-like fruitiness; there is also some caramel, bready malt, milk chocolate, and dark roast coffee. The head is dense and deep tan; the body is a very dark brown but garnet highlights come through against the light. The flavor includes roasted malt and dark coffee with some tart fruitiness; the bitterness is husky and resiny; there is an undertone of malt sweetness. The husky, bread crust-like finish lingers. The body is somewhat light with a sharp bite from the carbonation.

Smells great, but the flavor doesn't follow the nose very closely. It's still complex and intense with a resiny bitterness that provides an American hop character.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

This is a pitch-black beer with a burnt caramel hu at the edges. It has a thick, chocolate-milk head.

Bitterness from hops cascades over the palate and slides into roastiness, and then a mellow coffee tone with sweet chocolate only at the very end. Cane syrup and nut tones emerge with warmth. Aftertaste is sticky and slightly smokey.

The beautiful thing about this beer is how many simple, un-muddled flavors are stacked neatly on top of one another. It has sweetness and depth but still manages to forefront a great bitterness that doesn't rely on harsh roasted or acrid, or pushy, out-of-place hops.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales