Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Mocha PorterMocha Porter

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
tmm313

Colorado

04-05-2012 05:32:12 | More by MarkyMOD
hooligan

2.53/5  rDev -34.6%

Beer pours to a beautiful black with a tan head, foam clings to the side of the glass and dissapates after pouring. Smells very roasted and almost astringent. The roasted malt is very aggressive, but is severely beaten down by hop bitterness. The beer has a very fizzy feel to it, which really is none too pleasant in a porter.
The roasted malt was huge in this beer, and right on, but the bitterness and effervescence were way to aggressive in a porter, in my opinion.

02-06-2002 22:57:25 | More by hooligan
liveandletdie

2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

I've only had a few Rogue beers before, this being my most recent. I had been putting off trying it because I haven't liked many of their beers except for their stouts. This beer was no acception, it was an over hopped and coffee lacking mocha porter. You dont get much coffee taste in it, a lot of bitter hops. Not well rounded at all, tried it at room temp and cold. Both were no good, nothing spectacular here.

05-31-2011 22:48:29 | More by liveandletdie
mjc410

Vermont

2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

The pour into my Fuller's nonic raises a one finger dark tan head that leaves slippery lacing. The head falls pretty fast to a thin glass ring over a very dark brown/ruby body. The nose is lightly roasted, with some bare hints of coffee and perhaps some citrusy hops. The taste is quite forward in its coffee/chocolate character, within some strong roast. Hoppiness hits early, but gives way to a lasting roasted bitterness. Finishes quite dry. Too roasted and bitter, in my opinion. The mouth is very thick, with smooth carbonation. I should have reviewed this the first time, almost two years ago. I won't be coming back.

11-14-2006 22:21:19 | More by mjc410
1whiskey

Oregon

2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

I tried this a long time ago and remembered liking it. So I thought I would try it again. I love coffee, I love beer (esp. porters). What could go wrong?

Pours a beautiful, nearly opaque black with a 1" tan head that quickly disappears. The smell is glorious...lovely malts, chocolate, sweetbread(?).

Taste is another beast. Yes, there is sweet malt here, but its overwhelmed by bad flavors. Burnt coffee (not in a good way), burnt bisquits, burnt everything. I like porters, but something is really wrong here. There is a odd chemical astringent taste, and it's overwhelming. Halfway through I have to eat some saltines just to continue. Something is out of whack here.

The mouthfeel is actually good, a medium body with good carbonation. It improves slightly as it warms, but this is not the beer I remember. Rogue is a good brewery and one that I respect, so I can only assume that I simply got a bad batch. I'll have to review this again some other time.

06-26-2005 18:20:50 | More by 1whiskey
AudioGilz

2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

This porter is a very very stout dark. The head is small, light brown, and doesn't hang out very long at all.
The smell is mainly hop aroma and a faint coffee.
My first taste, and oh man...way too much bitterness! I expected a rich, creamy, smooth porter. And what I got was a bitter, faintly coffee and roasted malt flavored, fizzy dark beer. I only noticed flavor other than bitterness when I swished the brew around my mouth for about 5 or 6 seconds. The mouthfeel was rather thin for a porter and the aftertaste was a long lasting unpleasant bitterness. I was very disappointed. I much prefer a less hoppy, more thick and creamy porter like Fuller's London or Edmund Fitzgerald. I highly recommend those two porters, but not this one, unless you love hop bitterness.

02-03-2003 14:29:23 | More by AudioGilz
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

2.63/5  rDev -32%

Perhaps not as "big" as i was expecting. Some light roasted malt and chocolate malt, with a fair hit of citrusy hops towards the finish, and perhaps some light smokyness, fairly pleasant, if a bit uncomplex, not really what i was expecting, but fairly tasty, i don't think the flavours quite blended either.

06-28-2003 01:45:12 | More by rastaman
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

2.73/5  rDev -29.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a regular glass.

A: Pours a very dark red color. The head is a very nice two finger mocha (ha!) shade with great texturing and excellent retention.

S: There's a coffee - albeit slightly stale - and hazelnut quality to the aroma in general, and even a little bit of licorice. The aroma could be stronger, and as a point of nitpicking, slightly less vegetal as well.

T:The flavor is more coffee forward in general, from the starting flavors all the way to the finish. Problem is, just like the aroma, it seems awfully stale and vegetal. The said quality kills the finish with excessive bitterness. The hoppiness and roast don't really get along, either. Can't say I enjoy this one too much.

M: Airy and bone dry; normally, this is a quality I enjoy in my dark beers, but not when it's so dry it comes off as watery. A thicker texture (not to mention a bit more residual sweetness) would really help this out, but it helps make an otherwise mediocre beer more drinkable.

O: This is way too thin, bitter, and vegetal for me to enjoy this in any significant capacity. Needless to say, I won't be repeating this one in the future.

10-31-2012 22:29:35 | More by ThisWangsChung

Sazz9

05-17-2014 03:09:05 | More by Sazz9
livingregret

Serving Type: Standard 12 oz bottle

Appearance: Pours a lovely almost black beer where no light can shine through. A dark tan head that leaves to quickly and has almost no lacing

Smell: Maybe it's just this particular one that I have but I find that the smell is rather tame. Some Porters you can easily pick up the different traces spread throughout the beer but this one it takes a bit to get a good smell. I get a faint dark chocolate w/ roasted coffee.

Taste: Has a chocolate taste that is almost overpowered by the roasted coffee taste. A light molasses taste lingers throughout the end of the drink. The balance of the 3 flavours seems a little off as the beer is a bit bitter than what I expected from smelling it. The roasted coffee comes across really strong compared to the chocolate

Mouthfeel: Smooth yet a little thick. It lingers in the mouth w/ a dry feeling

Drinkability: A enjoyable dark porter that is a touch bitter but not altogether what I was expecting. The bitterness overshadows any expectations you may have from the name of the beer

08-29-2007 19:39:18 | More by livingregret

09-23-2013 17:37:40 | More by GeoffreyM
loren01

Oregon

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

A: Poured a dark black color with lots of frothy white/tan head. Lots of lacing down the glass.
S: Smell is of chocolate and coffee with some hop spiciness at the end
T: Taste is the same as the smell, coffe and chocolate that was very bitter almost too bitter for me at the end. Actually pretty hard for me to drink all of this one. Didn't like the bitterness.
M: Mouthfeel is fairly watery and bitter
D: Not bad, but I'll go with many other Rogue brews before getting this one again.

02-01-2006 02:29:01 | More by loren01
Ally928

07-21-2012 00:32:06 | More by Ally928
tedho21

06-06-2012 14:43:38 | More by tedho21
mwa423

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

A - Nice dark brown colors with a finger and a half of slightly brown head. Can't even see through the beer, good

S - Roasty and chocolaty, but nothing special. Smell is a bit weak

T - No mocha at all, a weak porter (almost on par with the level of taste of Guinness) and far too much hop bite.

M - Average, nothing to write home about.

D - Not enjoying it, I was really looking forward to the style and I love dead guy and a lot of other Rogue stuff, but I was just flat unimpressed with this.

05-21-2009 01:24:37 | More by mwa423