Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,341 | Hads: 2,757
2.95/5  rDev -23.8%

Dark brown,almost black body with a brown head that fell pretty fast.Some lacing on the glass.

"Rogue" smell, I think its the pac man yeast.Some chocolate and coffee.

Chocolate taste ,pac man yeast.Dank taste on the top middle and sides of my tongue.I dont really taste the hops in this brew but the IBU is around 50.You can taste the malts in this one.

Sorda heavy on the carbonation but goes down smooth.

Does Rogue use there PMY in all there beers? It sure taste like it,I always wonder how these beers would taste if they never had that strain of yeast in them.I dont mind this beer but it wasnt the best porter ive had recently.I dont think I'll be coming back to this one.

2.96/5  rDev -23.5%

A: Dark brown with almost no head, very much like a cola.

S: Malt roastiness with coffee and chocolate notes.

T: Bold roasted coffee with a nice balance of bitterness and chocolate sweetness. I'd have liked there to have been more chocolate present.

M: Way too thin and carbonated for a "porter". Much like the appearance, this aspect reminds me more of a cola than a beer.

O: It tastes pretty good, I'll give it that. Hell, maybe I'll drink it again sometime just for that. I do wish it tasted more distinctly of mocha. It seems to lack the characteristics that I'd expect from a porter, though. It loses a lot of points on that. It should be thicker and less carbonated.

2.96/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

153 calories per bottle at 5.1% ABV. Strong taste that is too bitter for my taste. I could sense the slight kick of mocha which didn't quite stand-out over the bitterness of the porter to make it desirable for me. I would not consider buying this again not being a strong bitter beer fan though I'd think this would be about average in that category.

2.96/5  rDev -23.5%

Good dark colour and good lacing.

Don't get much out of this. Nose is green apple. Bit of that cardboard roast malt.

Taste is similarly nondescript. Perhaps a little bit of cidery coffee/chocolate.

Mouthfeel is thin. A little cidery.

Don't get much from this. Typical boring porter. No real chocolate character, despite the promises of the description.

2.98/5  rDev -23%

Black as pitch, I expected Rogue's Mocha Porter to have a powerful smell and taste. The smell lacks. The mocha scent is there but it's more faint than I expected. The taste is a bit chalkier than expected too. It's almost more espresso than mocha. But it's not terrible. Generally smooth in the mouth, if a bit watery, at least more than I expected it to be. It's definitely drinkable, but nothing I'll rush out to get again. The overall theme of my review appears to be that my great expectations were not met.

2.98/5  rDev -23%

When you pay as much as you do for Rogue, you expect exceptional quality, and I really didn't find that for this sample... an average, run-of-the-mill porter in all respects, appearance was the best thing about this beer, an opaque color with a slight tan head... smell was somewhat bland and wasn't too appealing... taste was average in all respects, some burnt coffee and mocha present, but too bland to warrant a great review... wouldn't purchase this one again, copped it singly in a 12 oz... Dead Guy Ale was awesome, but this one wasn't up to par... not recommended but worth a try...

2.98/5  rDev -23%

Appearance: Almost perfect. It's black (or nearly black) with a delicious looking head that coats the sides of the glass with its frothy goodness.

Smell: Chocolate and more chocolate.

Taste: OK so the chocolate is definitely featured here but it's not what I expected. It seems a little subdued while some other aspects become more and more distracting. There is a burnt and somewhat metallic taste at first that turns into a bit of a smoky flavor by the end. Drastic improvements could be made with a few fixes.

Mouthfeel: Red flag! It's thin, watery, and just kind of icky on the tongue.

Drinkability: Well, despite what I've said, it's not a bad beer and I could surely drink a few. Though it wouldn't be my first choice.

Beef Notes: Mocha what? Is this really a porter? I guess after their Hazelnut and Chocolate Stout I might be expecting too much from this one, but I just know there's a better beer here somewhere.

12oz bottle poured into a Lakefront Brewery pint glass

Appearance- Jet black in color with a finger and a half of mocha head that dissipates into a thin layer and stays that way throughout.

Smell- Getting lots of chocolate with a pine hop thrown in.

Taste- Lots and lots of coffee with a very slight hint of unsweetened chocolate. A tart hophits the sides of your tounge on the front end and then the coffee swoops in for the finish.

Mouthfeel- Very very watery. Reminds me of a watered down iced black coffee.

Overall- Im not a fan. More coffee then mocha. No real sweetness for balance. Good for any black coffee lover.

Appearance: dark and well, non-descript.
Smell: kind of what I would expect in a mocha porter but watered down. Not bad, just not outstanding.
Taste: again, a watered down version of expectations.
Overall: grabbed a 6 hoping for something at least above average based on ratings and reviews. Frankly disappointed. Just not much happenin.

Ok. As a teacher who has a love for the Porters and Stouts, I would give this a solid passing grade.

Very thick and smooth. As far as taste, average.

Pours a dark to almost black. Small head with very thin lacing.

Rogue is a good brewery with good beers. However, since they have become so popular, thier prices have gone sky high.

Don't get me wrong, this is a wonderful Porter but is there better? YES.

12 oz bottle which pours a dark brown to black color. Thin to no head. Average taste with some slight coffee overtones. Complex in tast...No. Could I drink more than one...Yes.

However, 2 is max for one night. I would be scrapping the fuzz off of my tongue in the morning if more than this were consumed.

Had this on tap at the brewery and found it to be rather lacking in flavor. The beer had a pretty good carbonation which was apparent despite the fact that you could not see through the glass to the other side. Kind of surprised. Will try reviewing again at a later date.

3.03/5  rDev -21.7%

Very dark in glass; big bubble medium tan head that stays.

Light, unassertive dark chocolate nose that is simple with no complexities or layers.

Pleasant, though weak, simple brewed coffee with dark chocolate flavors in a medium to thin body with little character and no complexities.

Lasting coffee/chocolate finish, although simple-the finish is perhaps the only redeeming quality in this one; light fresh hop character is integrated. Pleasant in the most simple of ways; a "refreshing" porter if such a thing exists. Very bitter chocolate all around character but a relatively thin, somewhat weak and watery effort.

Another disappointing effort from Rogue in my opinion.

3.03/5  rDev -21.7%

Poured into a becker glass. Coler near black with a light fluffy cinnnimon brown head. Smell is predmonitly cocco powder nothing really sticks out. Taste of coffee, cream and choclate malt, bitter hop background quickly comes and goes. All of which are subtle. mouthful very creamy i really think of this more of a cream stout not a porter. Highly drinkable brew but nothing really all that special about it. I don't know if id buy this again. Average cream stout in my opinion.

3.03/5  rDev -21.7%

12 oz. bottle purchased on recommendation of the beer dude in local store.

Appearance was nice - I like the reddish tints in the dark, compact head that persisted until the end. Regular old pint glass.

Aroma was OK - a little coffee/chocolate/caramel, but I didn't think it much different or better than other beers in the category.

To me, the taste was a disappointment. There was no date of any kind on the bottle, so I don't know if it was fresh or had been in stock a while. The taste seemed pretty generic and reminded me mostly of Guiness. Got the coffee/toffee/chocolate flavors but I wouldn't say it was outstanding. Did not think it had the complexity and mouthfeel of the porters I have tried.

Good, not great IMHO. I'd drink it again, certainly not bad tasting or anything. But I wouldn't go out of my way to find it again.

3.03/5  rDev -21.7%

I picked this up at the Pit Stop in Nelsonville, OH.

Appearance: dark, almost black with a 1/2" white head
Smell: nuts, coffee
Taste: seems a little watered down, a sweet coffee flavor, nutty
Mouthfeel: light to medium bodied
Drinkability: decent, didn't want another right away because the taste wasnt too impressive

I remember having this on-tap over the summer and it being a lot better; this is the first beer I've had from rogue that has not impressed me too much

3.03/5  rDev -21.7%

Appearance is one of a opaque brown with a decent head which sticks around. It smells like coffee and burt malts. The taste is much like the smell. There are malts, hints of chocolate and a definite coffee bitterness. The mouthfeel is slightly oily and lightly carbonated. The bitter coffee taste is slightly stronger than I would like. An occasional beer.

3.06/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I was not a fan at all of this beer. Drank from a chilled bottle, it smelled like coffee and sugar, but was bitter, and the mocha gave it an awesome aftertaste. Maybe it's just not for me, but I did not enjoy this beer one bit and will not be drinking it again.

3.06/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours a black with red showing thru a big mocha head that leaves some lace behind. Nice looking porter.

Aroma is subdued, light roasted character , some hints of light chocolate. Over all a disappointment especially for a Rouge.

Taste is light roasted, black patent malts hints of light chocolate notes blend with some light coffee flavors. Also a light hop profile is noted that leave some lingering bitterness and blend with the coffee. Overall its ok(avg) but nothing to make you want to revisit this one at all.

Mouthfeel is light side of medium, with mellow carbonation almost a watery feel in the finish.

Drinkability is avg. nothing exciting going on here many porters are lot more exciting to the taste buds.

3.06/5  rDev -20.9%

Bottle picked up at Total Wine in Alexandria. Served in a Hill Farmstead wine glass.

Pours near black with a thin off-white head and quite a bit of lacing as it eventually moves down. The nose brings some very dryly-roasted malt plus a bit of faint chocolate with some bold coffee in the background. The flavor has some strong roast and nothing much more than that. Very, very small amount of chocolate there as well. With the finish, the espresso and coffee from the nose begin to take over. Finish is very dry and uncompromising; it's also quite bitter. Not a bad beer, but not something I'd go out of my way to get again.

3.06/5  rDev -20.9%

12 oz bottle I had at Cooter Browns tonight due to them being without taps for a while. Didn't realize I have never reviewed this beer, so why not? Served up in a standard pint glass.

A: Well it pours a pretty dark brown color that looks damned near black. Held to the light, it is clear to see that this beer is brown. Held to the light you get a bit of brown and red hues at the top and bottom of the body. The head is a pretty decent tan in color and sits at a pretty nice finger. The retention is pretty good and long lasting. Lacing is spotty but there.

S: Smell is a bit on the subdued side. I mean I am getting some sugary malts with some chocolate, caramel and brown sugar. I really have to go searching though. The coffee is minute to put it best. There is a strange almost fruity smell that I think is coming from the hops area, its slightly bitter and tangy.

T: Not really doing it for me. The malts are there with some chocolate and caramel malts. The mocha quality is minimal with a slight sweet coffee flavor. There hops seem to come out a bit too much. Tastes a bit like some citrus WTF? hops in here that seem to be way to much for the style and the other flavors being kicked around here. It just really takes this beer to another area that isn't very appealing. Its just those creamy and sweet flavors bouncing around with those typical Rogue yeast and hops. Just doesn't work for me.

M: Really on the light side of medium in body. Doesn't have that weight you want from a porter. Carbonation seems a bit high for the style and seems to add to the thinness to this beer. It does somehow keep from being watery somehow. ABV is low and its noticable. Seems a bit weak on the palate. Aftertaste is that bitter, citrusy hops.

D: Uh, this beer seems like a mess to me. The flavors are just very distorted and all over the place. Best part of this beer is the look. This is probably the weakest of the Rogue beers I have had, and it seems like this beer has faltered since the last time I had it a few years ago. The beer is just a mess and rather disappointing.

3.07/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured into a shaker from the bottle. Deep brown color like french roast coffee with off-white head that dissipates pretty quickly. Creamy chocolate and roasted coffee on the nose. Smoky espresso taste with a bitterness that kind of sits on your tongue, out of place. Medium body with long bitter aftertaste. Felt like it was just missing...something I cant put a finger on.

3.07/5  rDev -20.7%

Serving type-bottle poured into a snifter.

A-Thin tan head that quickly dissapates. Dark complection with appearance of high carbonation.

S-Sweet coffee and chocolate, earthy.

T-Starts out more smokey sweet than I was expecting with burnt coffee beans on the forefront with bitterness from the dark chocolate. To me, the smokiness overpowers the coffee and doesn't provide for a very good balance. I was hoping for more coffee than this. There is a high amount of carbonation here.

M-Again, high carbonation makes this less enjoyable than it could be. Feels thin.

D-I'm disappointed with the balance and the overpowering smokiness. Just not my style of a porter.

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

Appearance is dark brown to black, rich light brown foam. The smell is strong on the coffee side. The mouthfeel is ok while the beer is in your mouth. After the beer leaves your mouth there is a strong coffee taste on the back of the tongue, which is good if you like that. The taste is good as porters go, but we feel it falls short of the other great porters out there. Overall if you like strong coffee in your beer you will like this beer. This is a muffin beer. enjoy...BR

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

[Best served in a English pint]

Poured a very dark brown with a medium (1-2 fingers) sized creamy tan head that was mostly lasting and had fair lacing.

The aroma was moderately strong with the scent of roasted bread malts, mild resin hops and a dark leathery yeast with notes of dark chocolate, coffee, and molasses.

It tasted nice and malty with a hint of bitterness and a dose of coffee at first and finished with a strong bitter and a mild sweet flavor that had a hint of chocolate at the end. The flavor that was left did not nearly last long enough.

Mouthfeel was medium in body and a little watery yet a tad creamy in texture with a very soft carbonation.

Overall not a bad Porter, although it was rather tasty it could of had a little more body for my liking. With that said I enjoyed it totally and it is definitely worth a try.

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Good, Not great porter. Dry nutty taste. Refreshing, but still moderately heavy, chewy mouthfeel. I didn't get much coffee or chocolate in the taste. Seems closer to an English style porter than a "Mocha" porter. Would repeat.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales