Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Mocha PorterMocha Porter

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
fountainofyouth

District of Columbia

3.33/5  rDev -14%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased at RFD in Washington, DC. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: An impressively dark brown, like a stout would have. It's basically opaque. The head is thin, tan, and leaves almost no lacing.

Smell: Aroma of herbal hops is VERY strong and almost totally dominates the malt. Not what I expected at all.

Taste: The taste is more balanced than the smell -- the first notes and finish tends to be hoppier, while the middle is maltier. The roasty character communicates espresso and dark cocoa, but the flavors are not so intense as to overpower. The hops and malt, and the flavors within the malt, blend together very well. The grassy finish is elongated the slower you swallow. The booze is hidden well.

Mouthfeel: Light-to-medium body, but with a bit of slickness left over in the mouth. Carbonation is moderate, keeping within what's normal for a porter.

Overall: Well-deserved for its reputation as a good porter, although the malt could have been slightly bolder. (The restraint did make it easier to imagine having more than one, though.) I found the huge hoppy aroma off-putting, but that's my only major knock. No harm in trying this beer.

07-10-2011 05:00:53 | More by fountainofyouth
Ruger

Kentucky

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a brownish black with a tan head and thick lacing all around the glass.

S - Extremely sweet smelling, coffee then hops.

T - Tastes like coffee and then dark chocolate with a slight smoke feeling left in the mouth.

M - Extremely smooth light to medium carbonation very good mouthfeel.

07-09-2011 02:42:44 | More by Ruger
DCon

Missouri

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Bought a 12 fl oz bottle of this from the Wolf Public House in Ballwin, MO for $4.50. Poured from the black bottle into a Pint Glass and has no sign of a Freshness Date (like always with Rogue).

Aroma- Very complexed malts used that have a roasted coffee aroma. This malt character is sweet and great for the style! Almost dead on.

Appearance- Pours 3 fingers of off white head that has Awesome retention! A deep, pitch black color body is present and has good lacing afterwards.

Flavor- Has a nice beginning taste of chocolate and then goes into the roasty, coffee, and espresso tastes. A medium, sweet bitterness is then introduced.

Mouthfeel- Medium-thin bodied, Watery all the way through, and a lighter character on the finish. Leaves Coffee, good amount of Acidity in the finish.

Overall Impression- During the first couple sips, notes of this beer, I wasn't impressed, but sometimes you have to dig deeper and finish the whole pint to appreciate the beer for its style and what it calls for. This was an easy to drink porter and will be looking for it soon!

Overall Impression-

07-03-2011 19:22:08 | More by DCon
smakawhat

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Nice foamy cocoa brown head sitting on a dark chestnut body. Head forms about two fingers in size and had some good retention. Fairly large sized bubbles too for the head.

Whipped creamy chocolate mousse on the nose, and a mix of balanced malt and small roast. Real nice here very enjoyable.

Chocolate smell does not seem to come as much on the taste. Palate fills with a good solid roast and hint of coffee more than chocolate. Good balance and body in the feel, finishing with dark malts but also a little bit of carbonation fizz.

OVerall pretty solid to go porter. Best and a personal favorite no, but you could do a lot worse. Good solid beer.

06-26-2011 02:13:32 | More by smakawhat
AlCaponeJunior

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours nearly black, but is actually a relatively clear dark reddish-brown when held up to the light. The 1.5 finger head had some staying power and left nice lacing.

There's an obvious coffee and chocolate smell, along with plenty of roasted malts, and a touch of hops.

Taste wise it's a very smooth milk chocolate and latte combo, along with plenty of toasty, roasty malts. A light hops presence is there but faint.

It's well carbonated for a porter, medium bodied, and slightly slick going down, but relatively easy to drink.

Overall it's a tasty porter. If you like chocolate beer, this is an excellent choice.

IMO, Rogue's main problem is that the price of their sixers isn't commensurate with the level of quality (which is often equaled in similar styles, but at a considerably lower price with other breweries).

06-15-2011 17:58:55 | More by AlCaponeJunior
CamuMahubah

Nebraska

3.53/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had this beer many times and it always fails to fully impress...I keep thinking it's gonna be a coffee stout or a porter with real mocha...

And it ain't! So why the name?

I mean it's kinda got the acidic backbone...nah not really...

It's a very gorgeous beer with little rivers of caramel soap floats more like rapids in the chocolate sea!

It's a good beer it's just that I was expecting chocolate coffee and it just ain't here. In name and all I guess but asking malt to do this blatantly without help is just too much.

THat said...I must say this beer beats the heck outta any poser porters made by the big three and all...and is a finely crafted porter with a nice enough hop profile that would beat on lesser beers. It's just that it doesn't have mocha in it...

Maybe I'm missing the point?

06-15-2011 04:53:50 | More by CamuMahubah
PorterForMe

Indiana

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A: Poured a 1 1/2-finger tan head with decent retention and excellent lacing. Dark brown with some light penetration producing a reddish appearance around the edges of the glass

S: Sweet, toasty malts and light hop presence

T: Follows the nose. Coffee and toasty malts over biscuit-flavored foundation and faint, bittersweet chocolate finish. The flavors are all there, they are just a little too thin.

M: Very nice, great carbonation and medium body.

O: Pretty good but not mind-blowing. There are more flavorful year-round porters to be had. If you have access, go for Deschutes Black Butte Porter instead.

06-08-2011 02:55:25 | More by PorterForMe
indesertum

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

3 finger caramel foam. subsides pretty quickly

pitch black. like tar. cant see anything through it

smells of deep dark chocolate. a little sweet like apricots. nice flowery notes

strong rich deep taste. definitely cocoa nibs. sweet fruity after taste. finish is pretty long (6, 7 seconds). tastes a little bit like motor oil. strong hops but not overwhelming

mouthfeel is rich, smooth, creamy. medium to medium low carbonation

overall it's a good beer, but not great.

06-07-2011 18:29:56 | More by indesertum
MaltsOfGlory

Oregon

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

Pretty excited about this beer, I've been excited about Rogue beers before in the past (and they usually disappoint me a little bit) but not this much before. Pours a solid one and a half finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is very strange looking, I don't know what it is about it, but it looks weird. The head is full of small bubbles, but there are a fair amount of big ones too, the head also looks very creamy and a little pillowy, I guess that's why it looks weird, it just has so many qualities to it! The side of the head looks different (just like my last Rogue looks), it looks very soapy and not very appealing, but again, I'm more concerned with the top of it. The head is a very light milk chocolate color and it is leaving EXCELLENT lacing, man oh man. The body is black, with hints of brown, frankly it's not light by any means, but it still seems lighter in color than most porters. The head is hanging in there very well, most Rogue beers do, and this is no exception. Overall this beer looks really nice, the body is good, not great, but the head really makes up for it, man, great lacing, great creamy look. The smell of this beer is also fantastic, smells like chocolate, coffee, dark malts, all mixed in together. This is exactly what a porter should smell like, very good smell. The smell could be a tiny tiny bit bigger, but I'm really just being picky, the smell is for sure big enough for a good beer, and smells great. The taste is good, but for sure not as amazing as the smell was, pretty simple on the taste, nothing bad about it, just nothing that great, all the flavors are dumbed down a bit. The coffee is still somewhat present and the dark malts are for sure there, not getting too much in the way of chocolate though. Tiny tiny TINY hop bite in here, which is fine, but sometimes it's nicer to have a smoother porter, I guess it just depends on my mood, it is a beer after all, it should have hops in it. There were no hops on the smell though. Overall the taste isn't bad, just a little dulled down compared to the smell and especially the look. I am getting significantly more coffee as I drink this now tho. Anyways. The mouthfeel is interested, at first when it hits my mouth it just feels super smooth, and then it does a complete 180 and gets really harsh, the carbonation is just too high for a porter. I had the same feeling when I had the Rogue - Mom Hefeweizen, it was a bad carbonation mouthfeel, and that beer was exceptionally rough on the feel. This beer isn't as rough, it just has too much carbonation for the style. The drinkability isn't bad at all on this one, it's for sure a very easy dark beer to put back. Overall on this beer, it's good, and as I continue to drink it, the flavor continues to improve, but only by hairs here and there, it's not going to get better enough to make a 4 on taste. It's a good beer, and an excellent appearance (lacing has followed me all the way to the bottom of the glass), but it for sure has a few small problems. I'll make u for the improving taste and give it a 4 for the overall grade.

As I drank this beer more I was shocked at how....disappointing this beer tasted, I know I said the taste was getting better, but then it actually started to get worse. This taste barely makes 3.5.

06-07-2011 01:37:13 | More by MaltsOfGlory
liveandletdie

Washington

2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

I've only had a few Rogue beers before, this being my most recent. I had been putting off trying it because I haven't liked many of their beers except for their stouts. This beer was no acception, it was an over hopped and coffee lacking mocha porter. You dont get much coffee taste in it, a lot of bitter hops. Not well rounded at all, tried it at room temp and cold. Both were no good, nothing spectacular here.

05-31-2011 22:48:29 | More by liveandletdie
NWer

Washington

3.13/5  rDev -19.1%

Bottle poured into a chalice.
Nice head, good appearance. Pleasant enough coffee taste.
A nice beer but the aftertaste is a bit off putting. Slight cloy that makes me wish I had selected something else.
I'm glad I tried this beer but wouldn't recommend it.

05-27-2011 02:09:40 | More by NWer
ckollias

Maryland

Enjoyed this 22oz bomber out of a large snifter.

A: Dark blackish –brown beer with a thick brown-tan one-finger head that lingers for a while and leaves a persistent wispy lace.

S: Strong coffee and malt aroma that fills the nose, with a moderate hoppy smell in the background.

T: Smooth chocolate and coffee taste with a nice roasted malt background. Nice blend of the hops, malts, and coffee.

M: Light and smooth with a medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Overall a very decent coffee porter. Not the best I’ve tasted but very drinkable and enjoyable.

05-25-2011 00:06:43 | More by ckollias
andrenaline

Ontario (Canada)

A - Pours almost opaque with a dark red hue along the edges, two fingers of light mocha head with solid retention and some nice chunky lacing.

S - Some dark cocoa, bitter espresso, earthy leafy hops come through on the finish.

T - Quite tasty with dark cocoa coming through off the top, some nice espresso notes which don't come across bitter in the least, and some leafy hops on the finish. The dark cocoa really lingers on the palette and is scrumptious!

M - Medium bodied, a bit prickly going down, but finishes nicely with a touch of dryness.

O - A really tasty porter with some great chocolate notes. Easily sessionable and quality example of the style. I could take down a 6-er of this any day. Delicious!

05-23-2011 01:05:02 | More by andrenaline
WankelEngine

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a dark, nearly opaque black with just a bit of brown visible around the edges. There is a light tan head of maybe two fingers with excellent retention and a decent amount of lacing.

S: Smells of dark roasted and caramelized malt. There is a faint dry herbal smell.

T: There is a sweet malt flavor backed with a noticeable bitter taste from the hops. There are notes of chocolate, coffee and toffee. The aftertaste is dry, dark chocolate.

M: Fairly dry and smooth, a little bit creamy.

O: Chocolate and coffee dominate this beer with a notable hop bitterness.

05-22-2011 05:42:55 | More by WankelEngine
shaunb81

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance - Poured pretty black and had a nice 1", finger head accompanied by some beautiful lacing. Pretty average.

Smell - Roasted malts hit my nose first and were followed by amazing, burnt nuttiness. There was also some caramel notes and definite coffee aromas wafting from this glass.

Taste - Oh boy. Coffee and cocoa. That pretty much it. That's not a bad thing, though. There's also a little sweetness on the tip and minimal dry hops throughout.

Mouthfeel - Body was not too dense, but perfect. A little creamy and not too carbonated made this brew a good one.

Overall - This stuff is pretty good if you're not very daring, but want to be. It's safe, but it's super good. I will be having this again.

05-20-2011 23:36:59 | More by shaunb81
rickyleepotts

Arizona

I like coffee! So when I come across a beer with a name like Mocha Porter… well, needless to say I get excited! I have had several beers from Rogue before. As a matter of fact, I have had lunch in one of their breweries. It was one located in San Francisco, and I tried several of their beers while enjoying a nice salad. (Don’t ask me how I remember what I ordered. I just do!)

Porters are one of my favorite beers. Especially an after dinner beer. So taking a beer, a porter that is, and calling it a mocha porter… well, you had me at Rogue! The beer itself is VERY black, and without the head I would think it was coffee sitting in the glass. The smell is also quite intense, with a strong coffee note.

Cold the beer is delicious. But as this brew warms up, it gets better. Have you ever noticed that when you order a nice, good beer they serve it in a room temperature glass? Or perhaps you have seen bartenders warm the side of a glass before pouring the beer. There is a method to that madness… beer like this tastes better the closer it gets to room temperature.

My favorite part of this beer is the after taste. It’s almost the same flavors you get after eating a dark piece of chocolate. The aftertaste sticks around too, for quite some time. This beer is best served slightly chilled, with a room full of friends, after a nice meal. Of course I am drinking it straight out of the fridge sitting myself writing this review!

The beer is great, but not something you can drink a lot of. The ABV is low, but you’re not drinking this beer to get drunk. I am a HUGE fan of this beer… it combines coffee and chocolate… it’s a win win for me! Bottoms up people!

05-18-2011 03:04:05 | More by rickyleepotts
CrumpledFish

Ontario (Canada)

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

A: Very dark brown, almost black. Two finger tan head.

S: Appropriately named since it has a nice chocolately mocha smell. Malty as well.

T: Quite sour up front and an interesting aftertaste that is slightly smoky.

M: Somewhat runny, almost what I would call watery.

O: I'll admit my experience with porters is somewhat limited, but this beer was only so-so for me. It wasn't bad, but the watery feel and sour taste didn't thrill me. I would drink it again, but I wouldn't buy it again.

05-14-2011 00:37:13 | More by CrumpledFish
bpaugie06

Arizona

3.13/5  rDev -19.1%

Haven't had this in a while but I remembered not being floored by it. Similar impression today. Beautiful, thick, tan head with very nice lacing all the way down. Similar to other observations, I noticed a distinct metallic/musty smell. Pretty thin mouthfeel. The rich, malty, toasted barley flavor was the high point but it didn't last long and was eventually overtaken by the bitter coffee/mocha flavor. The coffee/mocha flavor made for an interesting taste during the first few sips but eventually it was all I noticed and boy did it linger: I still taste it now. I didn't note what I consider hops balancing out the beer but I am fairly new to analyzing complex tastes and don't quite notice all the subtleties yet. It might be well paired with a red meat as it is not too filling and bitter but I don't think I would have a craving for this like some other porters. It is an interesting beer at first, and I would drink it over some others, but it's not my first choice.

05-12-2011 07:08:25 | More by bpaugie06
DeltaGolfSierra

Tennessee

3.35/5  rDev -13.4%

Color is a dark brown to almost black with a tan head about an inch thick. Pretty nice looking. I picked up some fig-like scents in the smell, combined with some roasted malts. A coffee and slight cocoa flavor is up front in the taste, with some bitterness following. It's a pine/spruce bitterness, which I didn't much care for. Based on some other reviews, I was expecting a stronger chocolate taste, but the hops seemed to dominate the profile. Overall, it's pretty good, but there are other porters I liked more than this one.

05-10-2011 17:42:02 | More by DeltaGolfSierra
evanlarkin

District of Columbia

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

Appearance:
Dark brown, and a little lighter around the edges. Not gonna be seeing through this one. It looks kind of like dark chocolate. A single finger of tan head made of big bubbles.

Smell:
Toasted malts predominate with cocoa lingering in the background. No hops profile whatsoever. After spending some time on it, it has a slightly metallic scent.

Taste:
Toasted malts once again take the foreground. A slightly peaty smokiness comes in, with some coffee-like bitterness around the edges. It tastes a little watery. The finish is a bitter hoppiness.

Mouthfeel:
Like I've said, it's kind of watery. The taste hangs around in your mouth for a really long time, with the bitterness more pronounced.

Overall:
The quality seems alright, but it isn't my favorite. It does seem to be a good example of a porter however. I just don't care much for the wateriness.

05-04-2011 22:03:52 | More by evanlarkin
burkyburk

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

I found a single bottle of this beer for sale. I'll definitely be going back for a six-pack in the future.

Almost two inches of head, reducing to beautiful lacing.
Such an amazing smell. I picked up on the coffee and chocolate right off the bat.
This beer is definitely worthy of the title "Mocha". Huge chocolatey presence.
The mouthfeel is a best of both worlds of sorts. Starts off sweet and smooth early and gets a bit bitter and "dark chocolate" reminiscent toward the end.
I'm impressed!

05-02-2011 20:49:06 | More by burkyburk
vandemonian

3.25/5  rDev -16%

I didn't much like Rogue Mocha Porter. It had a sour and burnt flavour without much coffee flavour.

A: Black colour and a 5mm tan head that fades to good lacing. 4

S: Acidic malt and some charcoal. 3.5

T: Sour charcoal up front with a finish that is smoky with some sourness. 3

M: Foamy and nice. 4

O: I didn't particularly like the sour, burnt flavour. 3

04-29-2011 02:26:18 | More by vandemonian
match1112

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

poured black into my glass with a tan head. smells of chocolate, roast coffee, a little smokey. has a bitter chocolate taste up front, followed by smokey coffee and roasted malts. has a nice easy mouthfeel, very drinkable. overall a very good porter.

04-28-2011 01:48:04 | More by match1112
dkrusekontrol

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured out with a nice tan head that seems to hold. Dark. Looks like a porter should.

I love the smell. Then again I love coffee. A little bit of smoke, dark chocolate, and alcohol.

The taste is quite bitter. Think dark rather than milk chocolate. I found myself wishing there was a touch more creamy sweetness, but there's definitely some good stuff going on. I managed to find a little caramel. The coffee taste really hits after the initial bitterness.

I found my mouth to be a little sticky after swallowing. I enjoyed the brew. Thanks Rogue!

04-21-2011 01:42:27 | More by dkrusekontrol
Duff27

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

A- Solid half inch mocha head. Dark brown to black in color. Good head retention and some lacing left.

S- Dark chocolate.

T- Chocolate. Roasted malts. Not as much coffee notes as I usually notice in porters. "Tad smokey". Leaves the mouth watering for sure.

M- Smooth, creamy(!). Not unlike most porters.

D/O- Mmmm. Apparently this is the first Rogue beer I've reviewed. Would guess this would be near the top of the list as far as a craft drinkers first porter (it was one of mine back in the day)...and that's a good thing. Middle tier, nothing great but certainly above average. A few of these a happy camper would leave.

04-15-2011 03:45:05 | More by Duff27