Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,330 | Hads: 2,709
3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

Kind of a post-modern west coast USA thing going on here. West coast brewers seem to be influenced on the dry side these days. Remarkably how seldom they capitalize on the regions wide abundance of available fruit produce to tweak their products. Just a thought.

Anyway we have a nice dark brown porter here with a good creamy head to boot. The aromas are pretty much dry bitter coffee flavors to me. I can barely find a hint of chocolatte! That's a west coasty thing right there.

The flavor flavs mimic the aroma. Coffee bitters without much noticeable chocolate except a hint of unsweetened bakers chocolate. This is not your Starbucks mocha LOL. No, there's little sweetness unlike its Oregan competitor Black Butte Porter that gives a nice light sweetness of chocolate. (Just more my style, that's all_) Don't get me wrong this is a quality smooth nice beer just too bitter for me. I might pull this out of the darkness on a nice summer night for a sipper change of pace. Thirst quenching and all that.

Certainly deserves a quality pairing, and I might recommend the Charles Lloyd and his west coast flower power music or the more modern sounds from his "Which Way is East" surfer doods with Billy Higgins dueting with him with an array of percussion. Hang ten, bros! See how influential the west is? So look out! (1,320 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A-a dark chestnut with a thin layer of light tan head that quickly disappears to leave a bit of lace

S-nice mocha and slightly roasted malt backbone

T-taste does not have as much chocolate as the smell would suggest, much more coffee heavy. Roasted coffee, roasted malt, very light dark chocolate

M-thin to medium body, medium to high carbonation, slight dry roasted mouthfeel

Overall this is not the most amazing beer, but it is flavorful enough and easy to drink to make me get it again (492 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

1 pint bottle. This is well after the best by date, arghhh, didn't realize when I pulled it out of the discount bin. See how it goes. Pours a nice frothy head of soft tan foam. Colour is a ruby black. leaves a really good lacing.

S- chocolate, cocoa powder, orange peel, roast malt, (over?)ripe apples. Some lactose sweetness. A bit of a hay/barn note. Strong dairy note.

Taste has a bitter coffee roastiness, slightly herbal with some smooth milk chocolate, bitterness is quite balanced and some mild citrus and earthy notes. Overall quite pleasant. Some milk chocolate sweetness, really easy drinking. Finish is lactic, dry. Quite well put together, interesting.

Mouthfeel has little carbonation, feels a bit shallow but really smooth. Really sessionable.

Gonna chalk up some of the negatives to the fact that this is a stale brew, little carbonation and a bit of sour lactic flavour. Didn't love this beer but I'm going to try to try it fresh. Certainly quite well put together and interesting, this seemed a bit unbalanced by this date.If I didnt know it was stale I probably would have been less critical, looking forward to trying it in its prime. (1,157 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -1%

Appearance: Dark and portery!
Smell: Light chocolate. Malt and coffee.
Taste: Coffee, Malt, Chocolate and hop hints.
Mouthfeel: Carbonated, but smooth.

This is good porter. It is well-balanced, with chocolate undertones throughout; nothing really jumps out at you. It's a good example of the American porter. I'll probably get it again. (338 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%

Good dark colour and good lacing.

Don't get much out of this. Nose is green apple. Bit of that cardboard roast malt.

Taste is similarly nondescript. Perhaps a little bit of cidery coffee/chocolate.

Mouthfeel is thin. A little cidery.

Don't get much from this. Typical boring porter. No real chocolate character, despite the promises of the description. (356 characters)

3.88/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pour dark dark brown, close to black. Thin vanilla head with nice lacing

SMells rich dark chocolate/coffee

Tastes bitter dark coffee. A touch of dark fruit. Definitely more bitter and not sweetness much at all. Not very smooth and could be better balanced.

Mouthfeel is nice actually. I like a porter to be a bit thinner with a good amount of small bubbled carbonation.

Overall I'm happy I tried this. I'll drink this again but won't go out of my way to seek it out. There are better porters and stouts out there that aren't as bitter as this guy. I like the amount of flavor for the low abv though (604 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark brown with a hint of opacity when held up to light. Some head but disappates to a small rim around the glass. A bit of lacing. Aroma is dark malts laced with some chocolate. Flavor is a quality porter with a hint of darker chocolate but more subtle than anticipated. Still good beer. (296 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a creamy thick large 1.5 finger head that fades at a med pace but leaves tons of lacing, very dark black beer.

Nose starts with a blend of coffee grinds and cocoa powder, little baker's chocolate, cocoa powder and hint dark chocolate like, light roast with some burnt coffee grinds, and some light smoked malt in there as well, and a hint of vanilla somehow.

Taste starts with the light smoke actually, a little smoked meat and campfire, which is not what I was expecting. Then dark malts, light roast and black malt char, little burnt coffee grinds, then into a very light powdered cocoa and charred chocolate somehow. Bitterness comes with acrid roast, and hint of bitter earthy hops. The middle seems like it's missing something too despite all those contrasting sharp flavors. Finish is drier but a long lingering earthy roasted malt and charred slightly burnt like flavor lingering, and a little smoke.

Mouth is med to a little fuller bodied, nice carb.

Overall meh... doesn't really go where it should, barely mocha, too much acrid burnt flavors, the smoke is out of left field and tastes like it, bitterness is more from the dark malts than hops which are also meh, beer just doesn't seem to come through. This seems to sum up Rogue pretty well lately IMO. They just seem to throw a bunch of ingredients together and hope for the best, and not only that but a hodgepodge of different things to try that shouldn't be like that. This is a mocha porter, it should have more chocolate, more coffee, no burnt or acrid flavors, no smoke (although a little would be OK if it blended well which this doesn't), too many sharp not so great flavors that don't blend well, eh. (1,681 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Almost black in color with a fingers worth of light brown head. Thick amount of lacing.

Smell- Mellow aroma of roasted malt, chocolate, and some smokiness.

Taste- Starts off with a roasted malt and bitter hop flavor that fades into a bittersweet chocolate finish. Hints of smoke and caramel throughout.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and a tad watery. An average amount of carbonation with a dry finish.

Overall- A good porter with some well-balanced flavors. If the body wasn't so watery this would be great. (557 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

The Rogue Mocha Porter is a quality brew for sure which I have come to expect from all things Rogue.

After the pour I was given about a quarter inch caramel head that dissipated quickly after it had settled. The quick dissipation gave me a a good idea of what the overall mouth feel would be like.

The aroma I thought was a little subtle but delicious regardless!

During my first taste I got a bold dark roasted coffee flavor that finished very smooth and didn't leave me with a tangy/bitter coffee after taste. I didn't get any of the mocha flavor that the name refers too but regardless I thought it was quite delicious and would go very well with breakfast.

The only "knock" that I had on the brew was its mouthfeel. I would have liked a heavier feel, to me I thought it was a bit watery for porter.

Overall an enjoyable beer from Rogue. (850 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -10.3%

Served on tap into a shaker glass

A- Poured a dark brown color with soapy mocha colored head that left minimal lace

S- Some smokiness, roasted malt, sweet breadiness and caramel. Pretty nice aroma, not all that strong though

T- Some smokiness, roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, breadiness, and caramel. Really balanced flavor profile, however there is a watery quality to this beer that mutes a lot of these flavors from being more bold

M- Lighter bodied, soft carbonation, and quite watery on the finish

O- Some really nice balances flavors, the hint of smokiness was quite nice. The mouthfeel and watery qualities of this beer bring it down for me though. (665 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy the bottle art of this beer.

The appearance is black. Black like tar. Even while back lit this beer is still dark. It has a nice head that lasts... I poured my bottle into a glass and left it on my desk for 20 or so minutes and it still has a nice frothy 1/4 inch of head.

I really need to read more, and smell more, when it comes to identifying aromas. The smell is not overwhelming in any particular direction... I want to say it smells of mocha, but I don't even know what that means! Mocha is in the name so I want to say that's the smell... It's, I guess, a balanced aroma of coffee without any strong smell of hops (the Kudzu Porter from Back Forty smells strongly of hops in comparison).

Someone more experienced than I can probably describe the complexity of the taste. The strongest is, of course, the mocha flavor... hints of chocolate... I find it absolutely delicious. They need to barrel age this stuff in Jack Daniel's barrels so I can contrast it with another local barrel aged porter that I love.

The mouthfeel is kind of creamy... thickish... but with a somewhat refreshing dryness to it...

Overall I love this porter very much. I expected I would from what I'd heard/read about it. I couldn't get it as a single from the liquor store so I had to get a whole six pack and I have no doubt that I will drink them all... maybe even tonight...! (1,370 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +2.8%

I poured this from the bottle into a mug.

It looked great going in and had a good head, but it disappeared very quickly.

It smelled the part.

Upon first sip, I was a little disappointed. I picked up on a lot of carbonation and hardly any hint of mocha. I found it moderately bitter for a porter and not sweet at all, which is what I expected. However, I enjoyed it more as I drank it.

Could be a little creamier....I like a thick creamy beer.

Overall, it was a very good beer, and easy to finish, but if you really like porters but are looking for something a bit different, look elsewhere. This is just another good porter. (629 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into Guinness Pub Pint glass.

A: Pours a thick, deep brown, near black. Under light it shows a hint of amber. Thin 1/2 finger head of mocha color which dissipates quickly.
S: Roasty with apparent coffee and chocolate character. Medium hops seem to add some earthiness.
T: Strong coffee-chocolate flavors, but also with a touch of oats-flavor. Med-hop bitterness balances the roasted malts and keeps it more complex.
M: Medium to full bodied with low-medium carbonation. It drinks fairly robust and a bit of a creamy tail.
O: A hearty porter with strong coffee and chocolate character. The Mocha in the name leads you expecting a bit more chocolate and sweetness, but still an enjoyable and robust beer. Plenty of roasted flavors were apparent, but the oat after-taste was a nice surprise and seemed to hint of unroasted malts, even if not actually present. I would drink this again, but not at the top of the list in this style. (936 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

A - Poured from a bottle into pint glass, yielding a jet black, milky-textured liquid with a generous head which dissipated to about a half-inch in thickness, and retained well throughout. Moderate lacing left behind.

S - Notable coffee grounds, bitter chocolate, and roasted malts along with a touch of alcohol. Smells delicious and inviting.

T - Chocolate nibs are immediately apparent, followed by roasted malts and bitter coffee notes. Also, a touch of dark fruit on the back, and the slightest hint of alcohol warming as it rolls down the back of your mouth and into your throat.

M - Velvety, with moderate thickness. Goes down smooth, with some creaminess as well. I was very impressed with the mouth feel on this one, especially since it was poured from a bottle. I would LOVE to try this out of a nitro-tap.

O - One of the finest porters I've ever had. I highly recommend this one. Like a previous reviewer said, "There are good porters, and great porters." This one is definitely ranked as a great. Can't say I'm surprised, as Rogue rarely disappoints. (1,065 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Presentation: On tap @ the Isaquah Brewhouse (Rogue), Isaquah WA...into a cone pint...

Appearance: Very dark brown with a clinging tan lace that seems to stay for a while.

Smell: Mildly sweet in the nose with hints of charcoal, roasted malts and a touch of hops.

Taste: Silky smooth with a nice medium bodied mouth feel. After the luscious mouth feel come the flavour which is quite malty ... light acidic twang from the roasted malts, a little dark roasted coffee/chocolate flavour and an underlying toasted biscuit taste are balanced with a perfect combo of hop and roasted malt bitterness. The lingering after taste is of faded burnt sugar, drying grain and a slightly warming alcohol. A wonderful yet delicate hop character helps to round this brew also.

Notes: Yum! There are good porters and then there are great porters ... this one goes down as a great one, no doubt! (882 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass on 18 Jan 13.

A: Rich dark brown with a tiny head that dissipates to a rim around the glass.

S: Coffee aroma is pronounced along with a big dark roasted malt backbone.

T: Some chocolate sweetness, a subtle coffee flavor, and a burnt roasted malt flavors as it finishes dry.

A: Felt a bit thin to me, average carbonation, and easy drinking.

O: Straightforward porter from Rogue that is above average. (447 characters)

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Rogue Ales 'Mocha Porter' @ 6.0% , with a April29/12 production date , a 650 ml bottle purchased for $7

A-pour is medium dark brown with some ruby hues along the glass edge when held up to the light , also a good size off white/tan head that is clinging to the pint glass after every sip

S-hops not mocha/chocolate dominate , so hoppy it smells like a cascadian dark ale

T-slight hop bitterness at the start , a very bitter dark choclate , similar in taste to cascadian dark ale

MF-seems to be medium to high carbonation , medium body , pleasant enough on the palate if you know Rogue Ales

Ov-a bittersweet balance of malt and hops , key word bittersweet , not a true Porter more like a CDA

prost LampertLand (717 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12oz bottle with no freshness info poured straight down into a Guinness nonic.

Extremely dark brown, where it almost looks black, but I can see light through the bottom of the glass. A dark caramel-like glow shows through. The head was huge from the pour, some three inches or more. Tons of sticky lacing and rockiness of the head as it slowly fell. Looks damn lovely.

Roasty and lightly creamy in the nose. Picking up some of those dark mocha notes. Mostly black coffee. Light cocoa powder dustiness. Earthy aromas rise up into the nostrils along with some mild hop presence. A little milder than I would have liked, but still an agreeable aroma.

Dark roastiness with mocha and cocoa flavors that dry up the palate. Almost puckering with a solid bitterness aided by pithy hops that feature nuances of pine. Earthiness is here, too, following the nose. Represented by ashy malt char, soil minerality, and a distant medicinal quality. The finish is a bit long with lingering hop bitterness and dry burnt notes. The burps taste pretty good.

Medium-bodied with some decently lively carbonation. Drinks with good speed, and the beer is at session strength, so that's a big positive. Feels pretty good, if not just a tad too gassy.

A nice American Porter. It's good to know that I can turn to this, and more often. Not gushing with the mocha notes, as you'd might expect from the name, but still solid. (1,403 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance- Opaque Black with a thin half finger of foam on top. Doesn't Linger

Aroma- roasty, chocolate grain, slight banana, earthy. I dont get hardly any coffee in the nose. As it warms I get more of a grassy hoppy aroma (not floral)

Taste- deep roast grain at the beginning some smooth chocolate and a slight coffee flavor in the middle with a sharper hoppy finish. I am not sure if this contains actual coffee. The hops are resin-y not unlike an Irish stout,

Mouth- it is silky smooth but also dry in the finish, I want this to have a fuller mouth feel, maybe lactose sugar, but that may take it out of the porter and make it more of a stout.

Overall- I like this beer because I think it is accomplishing a lot with just the grain. I don't know if it contains actual chocolate or coffee but The Term "Mocha" implies those two flavors, if not those ingredients. I like that attention is payed to the hops and keeps it all in balance. I would have this again. (968 characters)

Not really much of a porter drinker, but this one has me reconsidering my priorities. Really good. Pours dark like it should and really doesn't smell much of anything either. For the taste, the balance is terrific. Mouthfeel is good too. Like I said, for an IPA drinker, this one is better than just ok. A win. (310 characters)

355ml bottle served in a pint tumbler

poured dark brown almost jet black liquid, untranslucent, 3 finger tan head medium retention awesome lacing
nose composed of dark roasted malts, burnt caramel, dash of vainilla and soy beans.
palate composed of roasted dark chocolate bitter coffee maltyness, semi dry, nice hop balance, bitter coffee aftertaste.
medium silky body nice carbonation.
almost stoutlike, semi dry, bitter dry quick finish.
i liked it, will have again. (471 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours black with a head that dissipates but doesn't disappear. The smell is roast and coffee but not very strong. Taste of mild chocolate and coffee, dry fruit. Creamy with a mild bitterness. Thin feel, its smooth and easy to drink just to watery. Taste was similar to dropping a few ice cubes in a cup of coffee. A fine porter i just like mine more robust. (357 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

P- Thanks to my buddy Matt for this brew.

A- dark black and opaque and a frothy tan head that has a2 finger lacing on my pint.

S- choclolate and arak fruity esters with hints of sweet cream and espresso coffee.

T- Chocolate hits the palate in the forefront but then it tapers down to coffee and those dark fruity esters of grain. Very nice.

M- smoothest porter i have ever had. Very flavorful in the mouth. Not chewy but creamy enough. very well done

O- This is by far the best porter i have ever tasted and drank. I am not one for porters but i would have this beer again in an instant. (593 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22 0z. Bomber poured into a pint glass at 45F.

A - Dark and opaque ink-black. Very little froth and it dissipates into nothing rather quickly.

S - Just as advertised. Strong espresso dominates, with sweet cream and chocolate in the background.

T - Overwhelmingly dark roasted coffee, some background dark fruit esters and a milder chocolate finish than I expected. Missing the sweetness also.

M - Its watery, kind of like drinking coffee again but it's less astringent. Just so-so for me.

O - I like this one, but I will admit that I also really enjoy my coffee several times a day. If those arent flavors one enjoys, this would be a bit disappointing from a porter standpoint.

Having now had both the Mocha Porter and the Chocolate Stout from Rogue, I prefer the Stout. It's a little sweeter which goes better with the flavors evoked. (841 characters)

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales