Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Mocha PorterMocha Porter

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

This brew was solid black in my glass with a head that diminished fast but left a thin sheet of foam on top of the beer (could have been the pour). The aroma was all malt as far as I could tell, with a little chocolate mixed in. The taste was a bit sweet up front but that dissappeared quickly, followed by some chocolate flavors and a sharp bitter finish. This beer didn't go down as smooth as many other porters I've had but I would buy this one again.

Bruiser81, Feb 10, 2003
4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

This pour was as black as a crows eye at night. There was no way that even superman could see through the glass. There was a fair sized tan head that dissapeared very quickly. The smell Revealed two seperate scents. The smells of s sweetness and also a bitter one that was what I drank. It tasted like burnt coffee with thin hints of deep mocha, but was thin on the mouthfeel. Definitely a good beer.

GreatPondBrewer, Feb 08, 2003
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: This beer is black. Period. No questions asked. It had a big, dark brown head that dissipated quickly and left a lot of pretty lace.

Smell: No surprises here. This beer smelled like it looked. Definitely bitter chocolate and coffee aromas. You can tell this bad boy is going to be bitter. Oh, yeah . . .

Mouthfeel: A little thin for me on the mouthfeel, and thinner than many other porters that I have had.

Taste: Once again, no surprises here. This was a powerful, bitter porter. It's hard for me to pick out individual flavors in beers with this much *umph*, so I won't even try. But trust me, it was good!

I've had it before and I will definitely have it again.

Quaffer, Feb 05, 2003
2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

This porter is a very very stout dark. The head is small, light brown, and doesn't hang out very long at all.
The smell is mainly hop aroma and a faint coffee.
My first taste, and oh man...way too much bitterness! I expected a rich, creamy, smooth porter. And what I got was a bitter, faintly coffee and roasted malt flavored, fizzy dark beer. I only noticed flavor other than bitterness when I swished the brew around my mouth for about 5 or 6 seconds. The mouthfeel was rather thin for a porter and the aftertaste was a long lasting unpleasant bitterness. I was very disappointed. I much prefer a less hoppy, more thick and creamy porter like Fuller's London or Edmund Fitzgerald. I highly recommend those two porters, but not this one, unless you love hop bitterness.

AudioGilz, Feb 03, 2003
4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Black with a good tan head.

Smell: I'm congested, but toffee, tar and lots of malts!!!

Taste: At first sweet, and then you get a sense of burnt wood/vegetables; very bitter hoppy finish; a decent porter, but not my favorite.

Drinkability: If I were only allowed to drink one type of beer for the rest of my life, this wouldn't be that beer, but it would rank in my top 25 (thus not even making a mixed case...).

cbl2, Feb 03, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

Mmmmm....Roooooogue. I love the Rogue 22 oz. bottles. And the brews within are always phenomenal, and this one is no exception. Black, not really ruddy-brown in color as the bottle suggests, with a nice tan head atop. The nose has the signature Rogue hop aroma, with a mild dark chocolate scent as well.

Mouthfeel is smooth and slick with a slight hint of carbonation. Coffee and dark chocolate flavors run rampant, but balance well with the strong bittersweet hop finish. A kick-ass porter, one of the best I have ever tasted.

IrishRedRock, Feb 02, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

The pour is very dark, almost black with a nice tan head that will give you lace all over the glass. The aroma is loaded with dark malts and a whole lot of chocolate. Did I mention that there is chocolate in the aroma.

This beer is full of flavor. It is nice and rich with a crisp carbonation. You are hit with a mass of dark roasty malts with some coffee in there. Then, the chocolate comes in. It hangs around till the dry finish. There is a nice kick of spicey hops in the middle, but besides that, it is all dark malt and chocolate. It is in your face and dark as midnight with the moon covered in a black tarp.

ElGuapo, Jan 24, 2003
3.43/5  rDev -11.4%

This beer pours a dark brown if not black. The tan head is nice and creamy, but leaves little to no lace. Aromas of chocolate and coffee are dominate. Little to no hops were noticeable. The taste was a little bitte for me. It tastes almost exactly like coffee (this is of little surprise to me as the beer is a MOCHA porter). This is a very full-bodied beer. I have trouble drinking more than one of these at a time. To me, this beer does not taste good enough to merit a higher score and the smell is a little to much on the coffee side. This is a rather average beer to me.

Amdahl, Jan 20, 2003
4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Deep, dark brown, with a moderate-sized tan head. Head fades rather too quickly to lace. Smell full of barley malt, hints of fruit and coffee and chocolate. Bittersweet flavor - very hoppy - dominated by malt, but possessing quite a bit of coffee and chocolate flavors, especially in the oily finish. Very smooth brew. A very easy drinking, and interesting porter.

Viking, Jan 14, 2003
4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

Very dark beer with a light brown head that once it falls regains fast after a little swirling and stays well.
Strong smell, doesn't hide this is a porter with coffee flavors and maybe a hint of chocolate.
Taste great, the porter taste dominates but lets the coffee come through well, no masking of either which I think is a great accomplishment not easily done. After taste is deliciously bitter.
Body as full as a good stout and leaves your mouth slick.
A beer I will drink again no doubt.

-Oelergud

oelergud, Jan 11, 2003
3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

22 oz. bomber pours a deep chocolate brown with ruby hues. Caramel headiness that fades to a thin layer leaving little lace. Mochacciono aroma with a strong hoppy bite. What else would you expect from Rogue? Hoppy flavors are most prominent with coffee following right behind. Chocolate maltiness is overpowered by the hops. Thinner mouthfeel that I expected, but still adequate. Not my favorite style, but overall a pretty impressive beer.

cretemixer, Jan 10, 2003
3.45/5  rDev -10.9%

I was struck by its red tint while pouring. The head was good but because of the 8.0% alcohol retention was poor. The choclate malt aroma was evident and I could not detect any hop aroma. The first taste was overpowered by a hoppy bitterness that lingered on the roof of my mouth long after the liquid was swallowed. Only after holding the beer in my mouth did the choclate come out. It had a moderately creamy mouthfeel. Overall I was disappointed by this beer and would recommend it only to Rogue Hop Heads.

LarryKemp, Jan 09, 2003
3.13/5  rDev -19.1%

After trying the Shakespeare Stout I was looking forward to this one. The head is a little less than creamy and dark brown fading to a cream colour. Rogue I have found is not one of the most talented group op Hop blenders I have tasted. And here it is proven. The hops are pleasant on the nose but the blend leaves something to be desired. There is a roughness to the finish that I just didn't like. The overall flavor is ok. I would say give it a try - but if you have other porters to choose from, then buy one of those instead. I was disappointed.

AtrumAnimus, Jan 06, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

This is a very good brew! It has a very smooth taste to it and goes down smooth. Has a chocolate smell to it, with a tinge of alcohol. The color, is a dark brown, and the head is a reddish brown. The head started out thick, but dies out quickly to a very thin layer, almost nanometer-like. Anyways, the taste is almost like a espresso shot with chocolate undertones. The alcohol in the drink is evident, but not overbearing. There is some evidence of fruit in the initial taste. The after taste, is again just like espresso. All in all, this is a very good brew. I like this way better than the Santa's Reserve. But then again, they are nothing alike.

JISurfer, Jan 05, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

This is yet another Rogue beer that I enjoyed. The hops made the lighter mocha flavor more difficult to detect, but it still worked well. I'm glad the malt wasn't roasted any more, it seemed just right.

ethosx19, Jan 05, 2003
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured an opaque black with a light brown creamy head. Aroma consisted of rich semi-sweet chocolate, a touch of hops and a bit of caramel. Full bodied flavor. Mouthfeel was sharp from the carbonation. Bittersweet chocolate flavor up front with a burnt malt and coffee middle. Finish is a somewhat dry with a bitter hop blast that follows up with a return to the chocolate flavor. An extremely delicious treat and another fine Rogue product.

Winter, Jan 02, 2003
4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance: Poured black, finished with a nice tan head. The head slowly gave way to a thin lace that stayed till the end.

Smell, The aroma was almost all roasted malt with a slight hint of chocolate. Very nice.

Taste: This porter was great! A nice malted flavor with a smooth roasted after taste and maybe a very small hint of hops.

Mouthfeel and drink ability was also a pleasant adventure. Another fine product from Rouge!

Stubbie1, Jan 02, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

This beer poured into the glass almost black. Only way to see color is to hold it up to the light bulb at approx. 4" away. Then you see the dark ruby color. Which surprised for this style, most porters I have had where not this dark. The head was a medium beige, tan color with a thick rich head and the lace was apparent, spotty but lasting. The aroma was bitter/sweet roasted malt, earthy, coffee, tobaco hints and some fruit hops and cocoa. The taste was bitter /sweet cocoa coffee. There were hints of roasted malts and bitter hops all through the flavors mixing. It finished on the bitter side with some slight after taste. I rather enjoyed the experience. A nice beer for the style.

Jarod, Dec 16, 2002

Deep murky brown color, big creamy head. Chocolate roasty aroma, coffee and burnt chocolate flavors. Medium body with a creamy mouthfeel, nice burnt bitterness in the finish. I have yet to find a rogue I don't like,

maxpower, Dec 09, 2002
4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

Traditional porter color and aroma. Wonderful roasted malt flavor with hints of chocolate and coffee in the background, but not as much as the Mocha might lead you to think. The "mocha" simply being in the form of added complexity, not overpowering. Enough hops to balance the malt and finish with a bit of bitterness. A solid porter well worth the drinking.

PhantomVodoo, Nov 20, 2002
3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

The deepest muddy brown possible. With a well-formed gray-brown head.
Aromas of roasted malts and light vanilla bean sweetness. Hops seemed toned down coming from Rogue. Curious.
Husky grain out of the gate, morphing into a more roasted form. Gives a partial impression of coffee, but never quite reaches it. Not much sweetness. Just a little burnt caramel with trace vanilla hints. Moderately hoppy finish.
On the light side of medium bodied. Smooth with a slightly coarse edge.
A nice tasting, tradtional porter coming from Rogue. Seemingly one of their tamer offerings, but that is not meant as a critcism in any way.
Not one that will be burned within the memory, nevertheless a template for a solid porter.

cokes, Nov 20, 2002
4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours black with a reddish hue, thick coffee colored head, and nice lacing. Roasted aroma with hints of dark (bittersweet) chocolate and coffee. Could be fuller bodied, a little less on the tounge then expected. Different flavors hint you on the first sip, roasted malt, coffee, dark chocolate, hop citrusness. Finishes dry with some hop bitterness and a nice aftertaste. Another quality brew from the boys and Rogue!

Lupe, Nov 20, 2002
3.83/5  rDev -1%

Mocha Porter
The head was thick and tan full of flavor.
Color was dark brown with an almost redish tint.
Body was cloudy dark almost swamp like.
Taste was good kind of rosted malt with chocolat flavor.
A little too strong of mocha flavor for me!

Kwak, Nov 19, 2002
3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

A definate Porter that demands some consideration.

The color is a deep ebony with a tight, dark caramel head. It seems to be a bit darker than the Porters I am accustomed to...not that this is a bad thing. Just a point of interest.

This porter has a snappy, bitter, cocoa flavor. The complexity is really brought to the forefront when the bitterness of citrus and the cocoa flavors collide...now I can somewhat understand why people like orange chocolate. (I once thought that a private hell should be reserved for such enjoyment...heh)

However, it is a bit too far on the hoppy side for my personal liking...it's a bit on the side of "sensory overload". I enjoy it and it has a good quality to it...but if it was toned down just a notch, it would be excellent. The aftertaste hangs around a little bit too long. Maybe my judgement is a bit premature...I should probably have another one...:)

I think a nice food pairing with this brew would be something gamey. If not, hold off until the end of the night and have it to compliment a yummy slice of turtle cheesecake.

Zraly, Nov 11, 2002
4.45/5  rDev +15%

Pours with an enormous head. So large that I could not pour the entire 12 oz bottle into a pint glass in one pour. After waiting a few minutes for the head to dissipate, I finished the pour. The head retention on this beer is great as well. I enjoyed the rocky, dark tan head for several minutes, and it left a very thick lace on the glass and kept a fairly thick ring around the edge of the glass througout the entire beer. The body of the beer is dark brown. The aroma is of sweet chocolate and some coffee notes mixed with a hint of hops aroma. The taste is a kaleidescope of flavors that seemed to change with every sip. From bitter hops, to dark chocolate, to coffee, to roasted malt, then sweet chocolate. This beer had very complex flavors that were extremely enjoyable. The mouthfeel was good, but not a thick as I think the beer deserves, as a thicker mouthfeel may complement the wide array of flavors better. The drinkability is also fairly good. This is an enjoyable brew, even considering the over agressive head I experienced on the pour (which often times can be frustrating).

aaronh, Oct 22, 2002