Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,330 | Hads: 2,709
4.47/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy the bottle art of this beer.

The appearance is black. Black like tar. Even while back lit this beer is still dark. It has a nice head that lasts... I poured my bottle into a glass and left it on my desk for 20 or so minutes and it still has a nice frothy 1/4 inch of head.

I really need to read more, and smell more, when it comes to identifying aromas. The smell is not overwhelming in any particular direction... I want to say it smells of mocha, but I don't even know what that means! Mocha is in the name so I want to say that's the smell... It's, I guess, a balanced aroma of coffee without any strong smell of hops (the Kudzu Porter from Back Forty smells strongly of hops in comparison).

Someone more experienced than I can probably describe the complexity of the taste. The strongest is, of course, the mocha flavor... hints of chocolate... I find it absolutely delicious. They need to barrel age this stuff in Jack Daniel's barrels so I can contrast it with another local barrel aged porter that I love.

The mouthfeel is kind of creamy... thickish... but with a somewhat refreshing dryness to it...

Overall I love this porter very much. I expected I would from what I'd heard/read about it. I couldn't get it as a single from the liquor store so I had to get a whole six pack and I have no doubt that I will drink them all... maybe even tonight...! (1,370 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +1%

Decided to give this one a whirl recently, since American Porters are one of my favorites.

It had a fairly typical look, considering it's porter nature, deep brown to black in appearance. My sample being of the bottle variety may have had something to do with the head retention being kind of disapointing. It didn't pour off and leave much of anything, but a bit of lacing around the edges.

I always say that this is the sense I'm least adept in. I didn't notice any off sents or particularly noticable characteristics. A bit of a malty-nutty nature not unlike an iced cappachino.

The taste however was solid, definitely had the malted coffee and chocolate nature that is intended in this style.

Mouthfeel was solid and a bit heavier, which was desirable and of course expected, but not so much that it was difficult to drink during a summer day.

I would definitely like to try this beer again on draft to see what the differences would be, but for me this beer is average. I liked it and I would have it again, but I've had other Porters that I enjoyed more. (1,077 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +6.7%

Beer pours black into the bottle. The head is about 2 inches and sticks around for a good while. The smell has that nice porter/stout aroma, but their is a defenitie smell of coffee grounds at the back of the aroma. The taste begins with malted barley hints of caramels and i do believe their might have been a slight taste of berries. The end has a nice coffee grounds taste to it. This beer feels very creamy in the mouth. I could put a couple of these down on a cold day like today.
Overall a good winter time beer from Rogue. (531 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

I poured this 12oz bottle into a snifter, with generous fluffy, tan head. It started to resemble hot chocolate. Smells of coffee, crema, dark chocolate. Intense coffee or even espresso comes through, with mild chocolatey sweetness. I would actually describe as medium bodied, as a porter. The carbonation is adequate to deliver an oily brew. Very tasty. (353 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Bomber Bottle Opened on May 18 2010
Served into a River Horse tumbler
Paired with short ribs - a very good combination to taste although not so much for my keyboard

Appearance and Smell - Dark at first but actually dark ruby red when held up to the light. Head is tan to brown with a red hue to it. Smells like coffee chocolate and a surprising amount of hops

Taste and Mouthfeel - pretty significant chocolate in there as well as the coffee, both flavors are pretty balanced against eachother. Theres also a pretty good sized hop note in there which i actually like. the finish is very much coffee with a hint of chocolate, thus mocha with that dark bitterness in there. Mouthfeel is on the fuller side with pretty good carbonation.

Drink - This pint disappeared pretty quick and the rest of the bottle is very soon to follow. Very good but not the best

Notes: I really enjoyed this beer but i dont know very much about darker beers to offer a good opinion just yet so ill have to have it again when i develop that range of my palette. (1,041 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

Light don't easily pass through the glass as the beer is a very dark brown one.
After pouring, a small brownish head appears, leaving laces on the glass.

The smell is that of strong roasted malt, covering almost any other smell.

At the taste is very bitter, with aromas of malt and coffee, while the aftertaste has a lot of liquorice. Carbonation is mild but still noticeable while drinking.

Though not an easy beer, it's still quite drinkable and a good example of what porters should be.

Small notice about the (nice) bottle design: mine had a white background instead of the black one displayed on the picture. (617 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -1.5%

This one poured dark and opaque with a light and fluffy head. I just had to poke my finger in it, causing the nice froth to deflate shortly after I did that.

It smelled like a smoky tootsie roll, with chocolate and malty notes. I also detected a nose of citrusy hops. When I first had a taste, the hops were pretty overpowering. Soon after, a chocolatey, coffee flavor came through, follower by a smoky flavor. At the finish of the beer, it was back to the bitterness of the hops again. Citrus, then mocha, then bitter. Pretty complex. This beer smells malty, but tastes hoppy to the last drop. (597 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottle purchased at Fat Heads in Pittsburgh and poured into a Guinness pint glass.

A: Solid black with a nicely colored tan head.

S: Smells like chocolate and coffee as one would expect with a brew called "Mocha Porter."

T: Tastes like burnt chocolate and coffee about how you would expect.

M: This is the weak point of this beer. Fairly weak to average mouthfeel for a porter. Almost feels to light or thin in my mouth.

D: Since the mouthfeel is very weak and the taste is very good, I could drink several of these in a sitting and not get sick of them. So overall drinkability is very high.

All in all, a fairly light porter that I would reccommend to anyone as a good entry-level porter. (696 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance: Pours dark brown almost black. 1/2" gold colored head.

Smell: Malty with a hint of chocolate.

Taste: Malts are evident. Very little mocha flavor. No bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Heavy but smooth. No hint of carbonation.

Drinkability: Mild aftertaste but overall very drinkable. (294 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

Looks nice. Black with a short head. Not too dark though. It has some paleness to it.

Has a slight hint of chocolate. Some dark roast. Also smells of grass and pine. Earthy.

Tastes good. Was expecting more flavor. Tastes like it smells but the flavors seem subdued. Tastes unusually grassy.

Very smooth and has a light body (light for a porter).

It's a good porter. But the chocolate/coffee taste could be stronger. (420 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured in a pint glass

Appearance: Nice dark chocolate brown. Thin head.

Smell: This area was a real disappointment. There was no discernible aroma from this porter. Now, I admittedly have a weak sense of smell, so I let my wife take a whiff. Her nose is hyper-sensitive. Again nothing.

Taste: Nice coffee and chocolate flavors, some hops, but the finish is weak.

Mouthfeel: Perhaps a little over-carbonated with some nice chewiness.

Drinkability: Though the abv is slightly high (just over 5%), I would consider this a good session beer. It is easy on the palate and fairly well balanced.

Overall: I feel as though I needed a lot more time to let this beer warm up. It was entirely too cold and I feel as though much of the flavor may have been masked. (760 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

A: Very dark brown, almost black. Two finger tan head.

S: Appropriately named since it has a nice chocolately mocha smell. Malty as well.

T: Quite sour up front and an interesting aftertaste that is slightly smoky.

M: Somewhat runny, almost what I would call watery.

O: I'll admit my experience with porters is somewhat limited, but this beer was only so-so for me. It wasn't bad, but the watery feel and sour taste didn't thrill me. I would drink it again, but I wouldn't buy it again. (491 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -32.7%

I've only had a few Rogue beers before, this being my most recent. I had been putting off trying it because I haven't liked many of their beers except for their stouts. This beer was no acception, it was an over hopped and coffee lacking mocha porter. You dont get much coffee taste in it, a lot of bitter hops. Not well rounded at all, tried it at room temp and cold. Both were no good, nothing spectacular here. (413 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -16.8%

Out of the bottle it ran, dark. The color of espresso with a head somewhat lighter in color and somewhat less uniform but thicker and much longer lasting. Alcohol barely noticable,the beer smelled unexpectedly and faintly of berries. Bitterness was the prevailing flavor that lasted to the bitter, dry end. This beer drank unexpectedly. It flouted its darkness yet went down like a much lighter beer. Thus, it drank easily as well, its bitterness overcome by its unusual lightness of body. (489 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

A dense head lingered for a couple of minutes on this nearly opaque porter. I noticed a soft, but not overpowering roasty cocoa aroma as I sniffed. I detected no hop aroma.

Upon taking a sip, it became obvious why this is called mocha. The blend of cocoa, coffee carried though to the end with a pleasing aftertaste that made me want to have more. The slight maltiness was balanced well with the hop bitterness and roasted malts. The flavor really came through as the beer warms up.

Mouthfeel was pleasant and appropriate, improved as the beer warms, and carbonation dropped a bit. I really enjoyed this beer. (617 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured jet black with a coffee colored inch high head.

Smelled faintly of chocolate, not near as much rogues chocolate bomb stout.

Taste was decent, coffee and chocolate notes. I could taste a tartness that seemed a little overpowering. I have had a few meals with the beer and for some reason when drank with food, this beer tastes a heck of a lot better. The tartness goes away, and i can even taste more chocolate.

Mouthfeel is a little bubbly. A little too bubbly for this style.

the tartness makes this a little tough to down more than one.

I recommend eating with the beer. (587 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured out with a nice tan head that seems to hold. Dark. Looks like a porter should.

I love the smell. Then again I love coffee. A little bit of smoke, dark chocolate, and alcohol.

The taste is quite bitter. Think dark rather than milk chocolate. I found myself wishing there was a touch more creamy sweetness, but there's definitely some good stuff going on. I managed to find a little caramel. The coffee taste really hits after the initial bitterness.

I found my mouth to be a little sticky after swallowing. I enjoyed the brew. Thanks Rogue! (550 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours deep black, but not motor oil black. Aromas are wonderful. Coffee? Chocolate? Yes...it's in there.

Taste is incredible. Very evident coffee and chocolate flavors. Very smooth for a porter style beer. Not bitter, very chewy and enjoyable.

This one is hard to find, but well worth purchasing if you can locate it. (320 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I'll start off by saying I bought a 6-pack of Dead Guy Ale and was surprised when i got home to find that someone had swapped one of the bottles for a Mocha Porter at the grocerie store.

I'm not a big fan of Porter's and Stouts but I do enjoy them on occasion.

This particular brew pours a deep dark brown/black color with a coffee colored head that remains about 2 finger-widths for some time.

The scent of coffee grinds, malts, soil and chocolate are extremely identifiable.

The front end of the sip is rushed by a nice flavor of alcohol and a subtle sweetness. The back end leaves you with a stale coffee taste in your mouth. It's not my favorite beer in the world but I quite like it for what it is. (708 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

poured into a pint glass this beer has the appearance of of a tall glass of coffee with some hints of red. The head dissapates rather quickly but was a finger tall. The head was tan and enticing. The smell is that of any coffee porter chocolate, coffee, and sweet. Mouthfeel is thick, not quite whole milk thick but 2% definately. Lacing is minimal. Taste sweet cocoa up front hint of coffee but a bitter finish that sticks for a few seconds. Not my favorite coffee porter but wouldn't dare turn it down. (504 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -9.5%

A - Pours black with a big, foamy, cream colored head. Lots of lacing.

S - Clean chocolate malt but not much else.

T - Chocolate and cream on the nose preceed the hop bitterness and a smidge of coffee. I'm not sure what's going on with this one but I am not picking up on much coffee at all.

M - Medium body, creamy and smooth. This along with a good level of carbonation make for an excellent mouthfeel.

O - This is a good beer but not great. I have to say that I was expecting a bit more, especially in the 'mocha' department. The mouthfeel and creaminess are wonderful but it's lacking in depth of flavor. (612 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottle in Amarillo, Smooth porter a little light on the expected chocolate tones you would expect. Rich and bittersweet with most of the choc taste coming from the malt. Fairly mellow mouthfeel maybe thinner than I would like in a porter. Nice dark brown appearance with long lasting tan head. (293 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -4.1%

poured one finger head into 20oz.pint glass.very dark brown almost black.zero light through the glass.chocolate in smell.taste was good and the chocolate comes out up and around the roof of my mouth.a little light when it came to mouthfeel.i could drink about three of these and that would be it.all in all a good beer with flavor. (331 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

The beer poured an opaque deep brown shade with rust colored highlights and produced a nice thick tan colored head. The head subsided to a thin pad, leaving splotchy lacing about the glass. I was hoping for a bit more head retention...The initial aroma of the beer is hoppy - a mostly piney scent with subtle citrus tones. The spiceyness of the hops does not linger, however. The aroma is also rich with roasted malt and chocolate notes. Roasted malt and bittersweet chocolate dominates the flavor, but there is also a hint of coffee. Burnt notes are also intermingled. The hops do not come through in the flavor quite as much as in the aroma, although the flavor is still pleasantly bitter and finishes dry and clean. Overall, the flavor profile is quite balanced. Solid medium-full bodied beer is almost a bit chewy. Maintained carbonation well but seems almost a bit more effervescent than should be for the style - although it does aid in smoothing out the body and bitterness. All in all, a good porter and worth trying. (1,025 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +14.4%

I found a single bottle of this beer for sale. I'll definitely be going back for a six-pack in the future.

Almost two inches of head, reducing to beautiful lacing.
Such an amazing smell. I picked up on the coffee and chocolate right off the bat.
This beer is definitely worthy of the title "Mocha". Huge chocolatey presence.
The mouthfeel is a best of both worlds of sorts. Starts off sweet and smooth early and gets a bit bitter and "dark chocolate" reminiscent toward the end.
I'm impressed! (495 characters)

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales