Mocha Porter - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mocha Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,690 | Reviews: 1,346
3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

A: Very dark brown, almost black. Two finger tan head.

S: Appropriately named since it has a nice chocolately mocha smell. Malty as well.

T: Quite sour up front and an interesting aftertaste that is slightly smoky.

M: Somewhat runny, almost what I would call watery.

O: I'll admit my experience with porters is somewhat limited, but this beer was only so-so for me. It wasn't bad, but the watery feel and sour taste didn't thrill me. I would drink it again, but I wouldn't buy it again.

2.61/5  rDev -32.4%

I've only had a few Rogue beers before, this being my most recent. I had been putting off trying it because I haven't liked many of their beers except for their stouts. This beer was no acception, it was an over hopped and coffee lacking mocha porter. You dont get much coffee taste in it, a lot of bitter hops. Not well rounded at all, tried it at room temp and cold. Both were no good, nothing spectacular here.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Out of the bottle it ran, dark. The color of espresso with a head somewhat lighter in color and somewhat less uniform but thicker and much longer lasting. Alcohol barely noticable,the beer smelled unexpectedly and faintly of berries. Bitterness was the prevailing flavor that lasted to the bitter, dry end. This beer drank unexpectedly. It flouted its darkness yet went down like a much lighter beer. Thus, it drank easily as well, its bitterness overcome by its unusual lightness of body.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

A dense head lingered for a couple of minutes on this nearly opaque porter. I noticed a soft, but not overpowering roasty cocoa aroma as I sniffed. I detected no hop aroma.

Upon taking a sip, it became obvious why this is called mocha. The blend of cocoa, coffee carried though to the end with a pleasing aftertaste that made me want to have more. The slight maltiness was balanced well with the hop bitterness and roasted malts. The flavor really came through as the beer warms up.

Mouthfeel was pleasant and appropriate, improved as the beer warms, and carbonation dropped a bit. I really enjoyed this beer.

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured jet black with a coffee colored inch high head.

Smelled faintly of chocolate, not near as much rogues chocolate bomb stout.

Taste was decent, coffee and chocolate notes. I could taste a tartness that seemed a little overpowering. I have had a few meals with the beer and for some reason when drank with food, this beer tastes a heck of a lot better. The tartness goes away, and i can even taste more chocolate.

Mouthfeel is a little bubbly. A little too bubbly for this style.

the tartness makes this a little tough to down more than one.

I recommend eating with the beer.

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured out with a nice tan head that seems to hold. Dark. Looks like a porter should.

I love the smell. Then again I love coffee. A little bit of smoke, dark chocolate, and alcohol.

The taste is quite bitter. Think dark rather than milk chocolate. I found myself wishing there was a touch more creamy sweetness, but there's definitely some good stuff going on. I managed to find a little caramel. The coffee taste really hits after the initial bitterness.

I found my mouth to be a little sticky after swallowing. I enjoyed the brew. Thanks Rogue!

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours deep black, but not motor oil black. Aromas are wonderful. Coffee? Chocolate? Yes...it's in there.

Taste is incredible. Very evident coffee and chocolate flavors. Very smooth for a porter style beer. Not bitter, very chewy and enjoyable.

This one is hard to find, but well worth purchasing if you can locate it.

3.55/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I'll start off by saying I bought a 6-pack of Dead Guy Ale and was surprised when i got home to find that someone had swapped one of the bottles for a Mocha Porter at the grocerie store.

I'm not a big fan of Porter's and Stouts but I do enjoy them on occasion.

This particular brew pours a deep dark brown/black color with a coffee colored head that remains about 2 finger-widths for some time.

The scent of coffee grinds, malts, soil and chocolate are extremely identifiable.

The front end of the sip is rushed by a nice flavor of alcohol and a subtle sweetness. The back end leaves you with a stale coffee taste in your mouth. It's not my favorite beer in the world but I quite like it for what it is.

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

poured into a pint glass this beer has the appearance of of a tall glass of coffee with some hints of red. The head dissapates rather quickly but was a finger tall. The head was tan and enticing. The smell is that of any coffee porter chocolate, coffee, and sweet. Mouthfeel is thick, not quite whole milk thick but 2% definately. Lacing is minimal. Taste sweet cocoa up front hint of coffee but a bitter finish that sticks for a few seconds. Not my favorite coffee porter but wouldn't dare turn it down.

3.51/5  rDev -9.1%

A - Pours black with a big, foamy, cream colored head. Lots of lacing.

S - Clean chocolate malt but not much else.

T - Chocolate and cream on the nose preceed the hop bitterness and a smidge of coffee. I'm not sure what's going on with this one but I am not picking up on much coffee at all.

M - Medium body, creamy and smooth. This along with a good level of carbonation make for an excellent mouthfeel.

O - This is a good beer but not great. I have to say that I was expecting a bit more, especially in the 'mocha' department. The mouthfeel and creaminess are wonderful but it's lacking in depth of flavor.

3.89/5  rDev +0.8%

Bottle in Amarillo, Smooth porter a little light on the expected chocolate tones you would expect. Rich and bittersweet with most of the choc taste coming from the malt. Fairly mellow mouthfeel maybe thinner than I would like in a porter. Nice dark brown appearance with long lasting tan head.

3.72/5  rDev -3.6%

poured one finger head into 20oz.pint glass.very dark brown almost black.zero light through the glass.chocolate in smell.taste was good and the chocolate comes out up and around the roof of my mouth.a little light when it came to mouthfeel.i could drink about three of these and that would be it.all in all a good beer with flavor.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

The beer poured an opaque deep brown shade with rust colored highlights and produced a nice thick tan colored head. The head subsided to a thin pad, leaving splotchy lacing about the glass. I was hoping for a bit more head retention...The initial aroma of the beer is hoppy - a mostly piney scent with subtle citrus tones. The spiceyness of the hops does not linger, however. The aroma is also rich with roasted malt and chocolate notes. Roasted malt and bittersweet chocolate dominates the flavor, but there is also a hint of coffee. Burnt notes are also intermingled. The hops do not come through in the flavor quite as much as in the aroma, although the flavor is still pleasantly bitter and finishes dry and clean. Overall, the flavor profile is quite balanced. Solid medium-full bodied beer is almost a bit chewy. Maintained carbonation well but seems almost a bit more effervescent than should be for the style - although it does aid in smoothing out the body and bitterness. All in all, a good porter and worth trying.

4.44/5  rDev +15%

I found a single bottle of this beer for sale. I'll definitely be going back for a six-pack in the future.

Almost two inches of head, reducing to beautiful lacing.
Such an amazing smell. I picked up on the coffee and chocolate right off the bat.
This beer is definitely worthy of the title "Mocha". Huge chocolatey presence.
The mouthfeel is a best of both worlds of sorts. Starts off sweet and smooth early and gets a bit bitter and "dark chocolate" reminiscent toward the end.
I'm impressed!

3.51/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a deep dark black with a tan head that sits there quite a while.
Has a light chocolate caramel aroma to it.
Full and creamy on the palate, with lively carbonation. Has a mixture of chocolate, coffee and caramel taste to it. Very creamy.
This is a pretty good porter, but didn't surprise me with anything I haven't tasted before. Maybe a little too much carbonation for me.

3.49/5  rDev -9.6%

22oz Bomber bottle

A: excellent, very deep brown, nearly black; pours with a wonderful tan head that slowly dissipates; very nice lacing

S: mostly malty and chocolate, something slightly off about the chocolate notes

T: very quality porter, but difficult to pick up on the mocha; mocha is very residual, doesn't come out until slightly after a sip

M: good, nicely carbonated which brings out a little bite to balance against the malts

D: complexity of the mocha flavor requires a slow drink to really enjoy, makes for a nice nightcap

I'm usually partial to Bell's and Southern Tier porters and stouts, and this was the first Rogue porter I sat down to review while I drank; a pretty good beer, but not quite at the top of my rotation

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance

Pours a dark brown, almost black color with traces of russett at the edges. A thin tan foamy head that laces well

Smell

roasty choocolate aromas dominate with slight vegetal undertones at the end

Taste

dark chocolate followed by roasted grain then the bitterness of the black malt takes over and gently leads you to the grassy, hoppy finish

Mouthfeel

Medium-full bodied that begins mid palate and quickly thins out to increase drinkability.

Overall, a very good beer that is dry enough to be enjoyed on a warm summer day yet roasty and full bodied enough to warm you up on winter nights.

4.62/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle.

A- Creamy, ivory, thick head. about two inches (though I gave it somewhat of a vicious pour). Very dark golden brown. Golden Ruby when held to the light. Heavy lacing.

S- Wonderful coffee, nutty smell.

T- This beer has a great taste. The traditional porter style is there but with a slight bitter coffee spin. Warm, fairly dry flavor. You have to really search for the sweetness but it's there toward the end.

M- Good feel. Creamy and smooth. Not too watery or thick.

D- very.

This is a great beer. I'm very pleased with it. The after taste is wonderful also, like banana bread or something nutty.

3.71/5  rDev -3.9%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Very dark, almost black. a Ruby Brown color when put close to light. Had a creamy, tan, 1.5 finger head that lasted only a few minutes. Some decent lacing on side of glass

S: Not a strong smell, some roasted malt.

T: Malty sweetness, Notes of chocolate and coffee are evident.

M: Very Smooth, slick feeling in the mouth. Medium to heavy body and low carbonation.

O: A solid Porter, great beer for a winter night. Would purchase again for sure.

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

Serving Type: bottle poured into clear glass beer mug.

Appearance: dark brown. not quite opaque. when held to the light there are hues of red. tan head that dissipates rapidly. some lacing.

Smell: sweet dark malty smell. hints of cocoa and mocha.

Taste: toasted malts with some cocoay bitterness. the toasted malt flavor is not all that robust. the cocoa bitterness is a persistent after taste.

Mouthfeel: a little carbonated prickliness on the tip of the tongue. semi-full-bodied.

Overall: not a bad porter, but not the best either. the after taste is good, but the initial impression is not great.

3.99/5  rDev +3.4%

I poured this from the bottle into a mug.

It looked great going in and had a good head, but it disappeared very quickly.

It smelled the part.

Upon first sip, I was a little disappointed. I picked up on a lot of carbonation and hardly any hint of mocha. I found it moderately bitter for a porter and not sweet at all, which is what I expected. However, I enjoyed it more as I drank it.

Could be a little creamier....I like a thick creamy beer.

Overall, it was a very good beer, and easy to finish, but if you really like porters but are looking for something a bit different, look elsewhere. This is just another good porter.

One two three four fife

4.53/5  rDev +17.4%

S: Had this on cask in a 20oz nonik at the rogue ale house in san francisco, they even made me a beer float out of it, so good.

A: liquid black gold, great head, with good retention, amazing after all it was a cask, it looked soild black, and I barely let the light pass through the glass!!

S: I literally inhaled the head trying smelling this stuff, It was like crack, but better. the smell of your favorite coffee house hits your right away, a long with malty notes. there's some bittering hops notes as well but just barely though, just right amount.

T: oily, thick and rich. coffee flavors, area first on the palete, followed by the rich chocolate and roasted malt notes. It finishes up clean with nice bitter hoppy/black coffee notes in the after taste.

MF: very smooth and oily, since this was a cask, it lacked the really fizzy feeling of the regular draft, but it retained just the right amount for me, it was also perfect room temp. not to warm.

D: I could drink several a day, till I got sick of it. the only thing was after 3 you need to drink some water to rid your self of the acidic taste left over from the coffee. I don't drink coffee, but I love this stuff. If you happen to encounter either the draft or cask order it.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a dark-chocolate black with an off color head that dissipates quickly leaving a small amount of lace on the glass.

Smell is relatively simple. Malt, Coffee, and Chocolate. I am surprised at how mild the smell is. I thought it would have been a bit stronger.

Taste matches the smell... the malt is the strongest with a subtle coffee and chocolate flavor behind with a touch of bitterness close to that found in a cup of coffee sneaking in at the end. With second sip I detect some more sweetness close to a raisin flavor.

Mouth feel is light with a mild warming sensation after the swallow. The light body and flavor makes this beer easy and drinkable.

This IS a good beer, but I expected much more given my experience with some of their other beers. Maybe it is my own fault for having expectations. I would drink it again, but I prefer their Shakespeare Stout or Chocolate Stout.

3.11/5  rDev -19.4%

poured mildly chilled into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass

A: Dark brown, ruby at edges - nice 2 finger head - quickly dissipated into 1/4" head - limited lacing.

S: Picking up roasted malts, a bit of caramel malt...not much else.

T: Decent, but overly roasted. Bit astringent, husky on the finish... Needs a bit more backbone/body... Surprisingly one-dimensional - not really getting a lot of the chocolate/coffee flavor - just the roasted malt mainly.

M: Well carbonated, bit thin, overall not too bad, but nothing special.

D: Not a terrible porter, but not especially notable. Probably not a repeat purchase.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales