1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chipotle AleChipotle Ale

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,188 | Reviews: 681 | Show All Ratings:
charlottebeerguy

4.88/5  rDev +36.7%

oh man this beer is awsome .not the killer hops like most of the rougs ive tried but no matter. pours a nice deep ruby color. ON first smell i dont really smell to much spice, but its there. malty goodness. theres some pretty good lacing in the glass but then its rogue so.... you really know there are peppers in here after you have drank the beer you can feel that tingling sensation on the tip of your tounge like you just ate some spicy food.a+++ great beer

08-19-2005 22:14:31 | More by charlottebeerguy
msfoster77

4.88/5  rDev +36.7%

This is my first chipotle beer and as such I didn't know what to expect.

The beers pours a golden orange color with a thick frothy head.It smells malty and piny. It tastes like a good beer with the malts coming through and subtle hops. The chipotles hit you at the end of the beer after you swallow. I slight spice builds into a nice heat with every gulp. This beer is a must if you want to try something new and different. I really enjoyed it.

02-16-2011 20:27:14 | More by msfoster77
mgdeth

Montana

4.83/5  rDev +35.3%

Appearance - Slightly hazy, with a nice amber color. Not a lot of head on the beer, but retention is decent. Carbonation appears about medium.

Smell - Roasted peppers and roasted malt are what the smell of this beer is all about. Moreover, it is an excellent roasted aroma. I also pick up a smoky, phenolic smell.

Taste - Hop bitterness blends well with the malt. The heat from the peppers come, more in the aftertaste. The beer is smoky first, but without being a bad phenoilc flavor.

Mouthfeel - Medium or medium light body. Carbonation seems to be just right. The chipotle flavor adds traction to the beer's feel.

Drinkability - Very good drinkability. There is some peppery burn, but it is great. The beer is balanced very well, just like a good spicy food.

Comments - Obviously, this beer would be fun to pair with spicy food for a double whammy. Spicy food lovers take note: this beer is the greatest thing that ever happened anywhere! I could drink this stuff all night. I think I just found a new favorite beer.

05-26-2005 04:07:26 | More by mgdeth
fitzy84

4.78/5  rDev +33.9%

Oh my god. Had this in the 22 ounce bottle. Murky amber colors with a thin, frosty head was the general appearance. The aromas were fascinating: actual spices like light jalapenos and peppers. Incredible smells! The taste creates a lingering, mild spice that is infectious. Hops mixed with peppers and hot sauce create an eclectic mix that is just great. Good solid body helps the flavors really come out. My first Chile Beer was great; I cannot wait to have more!

05-21-2008 02:02:33 | More by fitzy84
Hokies

Rhode Island

4.7/5  rDev +31.7%

Poured from a bomber with little head to speak of and a deep copper color.

S: Very faint smell at first maybe hops or citrus then the pepper kicks in.

T: Light taste of chipolte pepper with a light oily hop taste to it. After the first sip you can feel the heat from the pepper creep from the throat back into the mouth.

M: Oily and very smooth the heat remains after the first sip, which is nice.

D: I will probably have it next time with some spicy food. Very nice beer if you are in the mood for something a little spicy. Definatly worth a try.

03-31-2008 02:35:58 | More by Hokies
Zorro

4.63/5  rDev +29.7%

From a 22 Oz Bomber.

Pours little hazy red to red amber colored ale.

Smell is malt and jalapeno tang on the first sniff. More effort reveals some dark roasted malt and a little spicy tickle from the peppers. Smoke comes next as you really concentrate on it and it starts to smell like a barbecue. There is also the scent of jalapenos baked into cornbread here. There is no mistaking the wonderful scent of roasting Chili peppers; I love that smell! This kindles for me memories of Chilie roasting time in Albuquerque New Mexico.

Taste is dry and SMOKEY! Smokey enough to show a lot of other smoked beers how to do it. A very good flavor of Jalapeno here that fruity and tart flavor is unmistakable. This brew accentuates the flavor of dried Chipotles perfectly; the fresh version would have more sweetness from the flesh of the pepper. Nice solid bitterness in the finish that mimics perfectly the slight bitterness you get from a little bit of charred pepper skin in fresh roasted chilies. Only possible improvement would be slightly more sweetness but I suspect those sugar just would never escape getting munched by the yeast. This isn't hot at all to me but I grew up in the Southwest and was eating hot peppers before I became conscious of my own existence.

Mouthfeel is very good.

Drinkable as all hell! To me THIS is the ultimate Barbecue or Tex-Mex beer. Or I would drink it anytime; I am a major Chilie Head.

08-05-2005 02:23:40 | More by Zorro
Brad007

Vermont

4.63/5  rDev +29.7%

I've had this beer in the past and enjoyed it, though I never reviewed it.

Pours a reddish/pale color with a thick head that leaves decent lacing. Aroma is strong and malty with the hint of chipotle on the nose. Reminiscent of a scottish ale of sorts. Chipotle itself adds a spiciness to the aroma of this beer.

Taste is strong and malty upfront with a chewiness and burn provided by the chipotle. Leaves a decent spiciness at the back of the tongue that goes down with a mild burn. A second sip confirms the same thing except that the chipotle dominates the palate here and nearly overwhelms the malt.

This is the type of beer that isn't for everyone. I personally enjoy it as I really like spicy foods. This beer would definitely go well with a burger or something more. I feel it's well done for the style as well.

12-30-2007 03:36:56 | More by Brad007
DrainBamage

4.55/5  rDev +27.5%

I wasn't sure what to except of this beer since the last chile beer I had was Crazy Ed's and I didn't care for that one bit. Based on the BA rating and knowing that it's a Rogue Ale I knew I wouldn't be let down. It pours a cloudy brown color with little head. For some reason I was excepting a strong chile smell, but it is quite mild as it that of brown ale. With the mouthfeel you have a nice sense of carbonation and is smooth. The taste is similar to a brown ale, but has hint of another flavor I just can't pinpoint. Even for people that don't like the idea of chile in beer should give this at try, I was pleasantly surprised and can easily drink several of these. Two thumbs up on this one.

04-24-2005 21:37:18 | More by DrainBamage
jwhancher

4.55/5  rDev +27.5%

Pours a cloudy orange with amber highlights. Nice orangish fluffy head. Smells mostly malty, but as it warms you ger a nice subtle smokey pepper character. Tastes fantastic! The chipotles really shine through and are beautifully balanced with the malts. Virtually no hop character - I'd imagine they're strictly for bittering purposes at 35 IBUs. Feels medium with very nice balance between malts, hops, & spices. Really well done pepper beer. Something I'd like to brew myself. Pleasantly surprised!

Note: do not drink this beer with anything that is chipotle spiced. I had a chipotle spiced chicken burrito (homemade) and it completely masked this beer. I'd say try it with something neutral to spice up your meal. And don't worry: there's no noticeable heat in this brew - just yummy goodness.

10-03-2012 23:17:36 | More by jwhancher
Perrumpo

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +26.1%

Purchased a bomber at Beltway Fine Wine nearby, poured into a DFH snifter.

I'm a fan of smoked and chili pepper type beers, so I had to buy it when I saw it and was excited to try it. It definitely lived up to its expectations!

Pours a reddish medium brown with light-tan head about 2 fingers tall. You can smell that smoked and chipotle aromas, and you can certainly taste them, too. I love the smoke flavor this beer has. It really tastes like the smoked chipotle ground spice I have in the cabinet... and in a very good way! It would certainly make a great stout, too.

02-28-2011 23:44:36 | More by Perrumpo
johnniemarg

4.47/5  rDev +25.2%

Appearance is a translucent amber-orange with a huge tan head. The individual bubbles on the side of the glass look larger than usual. Gorgeous lacing as I drink it down.

The smell is smoky chipotle. It's overwhelming.

Taste is, you guessed it, smoky chipotle. I've had beer infused with hot peppers before and they were disgusting. This one is great. It's not hot, it just gives you the smoke and the flavor of the chipotle pepper. There's a sweet smooth malt flavor underneath the chipotle. I made some enchiladas the other day with chipotles in them and I can't wait to eat the one I'm warming, accompanied by this beer, as soon as I finish this review. I love chipotle peppers and I can't believe it works this well in a beer.

Nice thick creamy mouthfeel.

This stuff is awesome. I wish I could have one of these every time I have mexican food.

01-24-2006 01:39:28 | More by johnniemarg
goochpunch

4.47/5  rDev +25.2%

Pours out a rich amber with moderate carbonation and a khaki head that settles to a sturdy, dimpled, and wavy 1/2". Leaves Very fine lace patterns. Smell is of faint chipotle at first, followed by a rich bready and nutty maltiness, floral hops, a smokiness (removed from the chile) not unlike that of a Scottish ale, and some buttery notes. Chipotle really comes out in the forefront of the flavor. Beneath it, I get a bready and nutty malt backbone, filled out with some soft, floral hops flavors. Finishes dry and slightly bitter. Mouthfeel is substantial, not too heavy or thin, with a softness in the carbonation that makes this wonderful. Leaves a little heat on my lips and a little bit less on the tongue. This would be a great session.

This could be written off as some sort of novelty beer, but I really think the chipotle works excellently at accenting the pale ale/amber ale base. Really reminds me of a Scottish ale but with a hint of chile.

11-12-2006 05:08:06 | More by goochpunch
ditch

4.45/5  rDev +24.6%

I picked this up because I flat out love chipotle peppers. I only had one other beer with peppers before and it was a porter. Anyhoo...

Poured a nice cloudy copper with a nice thick bone white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass about halfway through. Lacing is thin but slightly sticky. Overall a good looking ale.

The aroma is malty and smokey. After the first sip the smokey aroma leaves the nose and brings out the malts. Slightly sweet, a little woody.

This is an example of a beer that lives up to it's expectations. There is a quick malty sweetness in the front and then... did I eat a chipotle pepper? haha no! this has the perfect taste of chipotle peppers. The smoke comes through as if you had just ate something cooked with the peppers. The heat is in the background, but not over powering.

The mouthfeel is light and the carbonation is spot on. Again the spice is here with heat in the back of your throat, but not overwhelming.

Drinkability is good, but after drinking an entire bomber, I am not craving more. This beer has served it's purpose and I'm ready to move on. You'd have to be a big pepper fan to drink this one all night.

Well with all that being said, I'm glad I picked this one up. And, also glad I have another one in the fridge. I almost feel like attempting this as a homebrew to give as gifts. Thanks Rogue! Well played!

04-26-2010 18:09:06 | More by ditch
Abrandonship

Nevada

4.45/5  rDev +24.6%

Appearance:
I poured this beer directly from the bottle into red wine glass. The liquid was a reddish copper color and the head was a very pale tan. Just a shade off of white.

Smell:
The malt in this beer is very noticeable. The smell that the chipotle gives off is very faint. It's as if you walked into a room where chipotles where on display, rather than holding one up to your nose.

Taste:
The taste of this beer is very unique. The hop flavor is almost inevident, but chipotle fills that hole very nicely. It isn't a strong chile flavor though (scoville-phobes need not avoid this brew). The chipotle taste is not overbearing and definitely not spicy.

Mouth feel:
Drinking this beer gives me the feeling of having eaten a very spicy meal about 45 minutes ago. I just have a sort of a very gentle tingling in the gums and palate. I'm not sure I described that correctly, but it's a very enjoyable feeling.

Overall:
This is a very nice beer and a unique one to experience. This is my first chile beer, and I hope to explore many more offerings in the genre.

FULL DISCLOSURE: Though I wouldn't even call this spicy, I do enjoy really spicy food and the feeling you get from it.

09-09-2012 22:40:22 | More by Abrandonship
BrewMaster

4.43/5  rDev +24.1%

Appearance: Poured from the bottle with a reddish brown color and a thin white head. The head has some nie stickiness and leaves a good amount of lacing on the sides of my sniffer glass.

Smell: Wow, this smells like a smoked beer (Rauchbier). It smells roasty and like roasted vegetables.

Taste: Very smokey, malty, and roasty. It has a veggie character to it and some sweetness. There is a sweet flavor of roasted pepper skin as well as black peppercorns and a fresh cut grass. This a very tasty beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth. Coats the mouth well and allows me to enjoy the flavor with all of my taste buds.

Drinkability: Very good, very tasty and original. It'[s smooth and well done. I really like the roasted pepper taste in here.

07-02-2005 18:12:28 | More by BrewMaster
tavernjef

4.43/5  rDev +24.1%

A mold of clouded copper. Small, unlasting cap of big bubbly froth. Light lacing with some strings and tiny spots.

Aroma is lovely with a huge smokey malt and roasted pepper waft.
Round and spicy, smokey and resonating. Nice!

Taste is just as nice with moderate malts giving weight to the smokey ridge in which it rides. Fun lingering finish with the smokey leftovers and grab of roasted pepper spice. It wavers on the palate for good length with smokey pepperness. Quite nice. Never over the top with its spice, but definately present.

Feel is a sturdy medium body with a malty centered middle and one fun finish with the smokey spices and lightly textured dryness.

A drinkable, fun brew to behold if in the mood for something out of the ordinary. Perfectly spiced and smokey for this Northern boys' buds.

03-08-2006 01:50:04 | More by tavernjef
armstrnj

4.43/5  rDev +24.1%

Just want to start by saying that a Chipotle pepper is one of my favorite flavors, on/in anything. So naturally I was excited about this beer.

A- Even the color looks smoky, nice rust orange cloudy. Foreshadows the flavor.

S- Smells just like I hoped it would. Pepper aroma thats not over powering.

T- I don't know what a "perfect" chili beer tastes like but this will work for me. Great southwest spiced flavor with a hint of malt. Not overpowering or spicy but just dang tasty.

M- Good carbonation and just a touch dry, which works with the pepper flavors

D- I could see how after a few the taste would get old but I enjoyed the heck out of the one I had. Would be great with a southwest dish of comparable flavors.

Overall great beer and a different taste. This beer exceeded what I thought a chipotle beer would be like.

02-03-2011 19:32:13 | More by armstrnj
ledemie

4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

A - the beer light brown, with nice head.

S - Smells of some citrus along with hop aroma, cannot really smell the Chipotle.

T - Sweet malt with a hint of raisin flavor, not too sweet not to astringent.

M - I do not taste the Chipotle, I love spicy, and it might be spicy for someone else, but I do not see it. the mouth feel is nice

D - drinks nice, a good beer, not really a spiced beer for my taste.

04-22-2008 16:16:22 | More by ledemie
nikdistler

4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

Great brew for the spring. Goes very well will salsa or any mexican dish for that matter. Complex flavoring, tends to get bolder the warmer it is as expected. Not alot of head, about 1/4 an inch depending on your pour. I would recomend this beer to everyone, a great treat!

05-19-2010 23:47:07 | More by nikdistler
Buggies

4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

My first chile style beer, so I can't really score per the style.

Pours a pretty golden color with a thin head. Aromas are sort of mute. Smells sweet with citrus and fruit from the hops. Sweet malt aromas dominate the nose I think.

Tastes great. Has a sort of fruity and citrusy backbone from the hops. Light accents of sweet malt. I don't really get a lot of flavor from the chiles, but their heat is most definitely there.

The heat gets more noticeable as you drink it. It's not overbearing at all. And I got to say that this heat in beer is an interesting concept. It adds that background flavor that just makes it interesting.

07-13-2011 18:05:11 | More by Buggies
BeerLover99

4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

A: cloudy rust orange body, finger white head,
great lacing

S: smoky chipotle peppers, earthy malt, hint of pine

T: mild lemon grass, pine, earthy malt,
low slow roasted/chipotle smoky bitter/spice

M: med body, smooth/semi-dry mouth

O: WOW! This beer surprised me. Grabbed it
celebrate Cinco de Mayo and mad I didn't
grab more for future Mexican food nights.

DELICIOUS, GRAB A BOTTLE!

05-05-2012 20:09:14 | More by BeerLover99
botham

4.35/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle poured into a pub glass. pours a hazy amber color with two fingers of off white head that remain for a few minutes. nice moderate lacings.

aroma is earthy and malty, with a smokey character. a note of caramel and a bit of roasted malts show through as well.

taste is earthy and malty up front, with notes of caramel and a hint of roasted malts, along with a smoked character and a spiced quality. finishes on a spicy note, which comes from the peppers, and works quite well with the profile.

mouthfeel is medium bodied with a smooth texture and mild CO2. finishes spicy with residual peppers and smoke.

drinkability is good. this brew is exactly what it claims to be on the bottle: 'a delicate smooth crisp flavor with a subtle, smokey chipotle finish'. cheers!

05-04-2008 22:47:30 | More by botham
bark

Sweden

4.35/5  rDev +21.8%

The liquid is clear; the colour is deep amber. The high off-white head is compact, it leaves some fine lacing.

The smell is a bit smoked with hints of meat. Dried fruits, fresh chilli fruits, and some sweetness. I found notes of canned fruits and raisins too. Very pleasant.

The taste is fruity with some matured cellar.notes. Dried fruits and cask-matured notes. In the background, a very elegant chilli heat flavour emerges, but it is never allowed to dominate the palette. Some passing notes of fresh and dried fruits (apricots, mandarins). Medium bodied. The aftertaste is malty with hoppy hints: Some smoked cheese in the background and a mild chilli flavour. Very well kept together. Cream in the finish.

The carbonation is medium strong; small fresh bubbles. The liquid is smooth and a little sticky.

More of desserts drink than a BBQ-beer. Mellow and rounded flavours with chilli in the background. Almost like a light barley wine.

08-02-2009 13:34:11 | More by bark
Fatehunter

Oregon

4.35/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured from a bomber into a "Rogue Chipotle" glass. It is just a goblet with a stem that looks like a cactus. Copper/amber color, opaque. Light head that was just dusting the surface.

S - First some malt and then the chipotle. Very distinct chipotle smell. I usually do not like fruit in my beer, but this smells really nice.

T - Slightly sweet at first, followed by the chipotle pepper. Enough spice to know it is there but not obnoxious or overpowering.

M - Soft at first, then bubbly carbonation, followed by a crisp finish. I liked the soft start and crisp finish, but a little less carbonation would be better. Oh, the pepper's heat stays on the lips for awhile afterward.

D - Very good and drinkable. I love the spiceiness and smell. This is probably the only beer with a fruit added that I really liked.

11-19-2010 06:23:57 | More by Fatehunter
Jason

4.33/5  rDev +21.3%

Presentation: 22 oz. bomber with no freshness date.

Appearance: Richly golden in colour with a thick pasty white lace that retains very well.

Smell: Some fruitiness, malt sweetness and a touch of smoked tangy pepper.

Taste: Very smooth with a mild crispness, rich and medium bodied. A thin layer of malt is first then a mild smoke kicks in as well as a mellow tangy hot pepper that has a faint touch of heat to it, perhaps some of the tangy flavour is from the cascade hops. Soon after is an underlying malt (bready) and a bit of hop flavour ... yet the more you drink the more you feel the heat, though it does not get hot or over bearing. Very clean in the finish with a fading heat.

Notes: Seriously one of the best spiced/herbal ales we have ever had ... some complex yet very well balanced and oh so drinkable all at the same time. A generous addition of smoked chipotle peppers give this brew the heat and smoke.

03-09-2002 12:44:16 | More by Jason