Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 693 | Hads: 1,372
4.1/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This beer pours a slightly murky reddish amber color with a fair amount of foamy off white head that doesn't last for long Not much lacing going on either.

I was expecting to smell hot spicy peppers but it just smells alot like dead guy ale. There are some sweet malts that come up at the end but very little actual spicy pepper is there for me to pick out. Overall it smells sweet, which is surprising to me.

Its easy to pick out the pacman yeast at the beginning but then the chipotle peppers kick in at the end. Its a well balanced amber ale until the peppers hit your taste buds. This beer leaves a hot tingly sensation in the back of your throat and the peppers are definitely more on the aftertaste than the initial flavor. It has a nice low/medium carbonation level.

Overall this beer is awesome, I had never tried a chile beer before and I was really satisfied with it. I didn't know what to expect and I was impressed, definitely a great beer to enjoy on cinco de mayo. (981 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

A- 1in white creamy head sits on a slightly hazy orange-copper-amber brew with rising bubbles. decent foam retention, becoming a thing ring leaving moderate amounts of lace.

S- mild chipotle smoked jalapeno and adobo BBQ sauce. smells like the real thing. malty and sweet with slight citrus and bread aromas. maybe a lil bit of lime, the chipotle really takes over the whole thing. but in a good way.

T- pleasantly smoky, the smoked jalapenos really stand out over all other flavors along with the wood smoke and the special adobo sauce. flavor is still quite mild, and the chipotle isn't too hot, i believe alcohol is a solvent for capsaicin (the chemical that makes peppers hot) so it's no surprise this beer's not on fire. aside from pepper, faint charcoal and dark wood envelop a toasty malt and herbal hop finish. very well balanced.

MF- crisp, slick, with medium carbonation, goes down super smooth

D- this is a great tasty treat, but would be difficult to drink iin session, the chipotle taste might get annoying after a while. (1,038 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Nice reddish amber color with thick tan head (that retains well).

Sweet malt aroma and the peppers' spiciness comes through, too.

Mmm, very well balanced maltiness, hops and (at first) a very subtle pepper. Well laced, making the next swallow all-the-more inviting. Drinks very clean & 'bright' for a beer with this degree of complexity.

I'll be honest, I expected more chipotle kick, but nonetheless, this beer is very solid, very drinkable, and could easily qualify as session brew. (493 characters)

22oz. Bomber

I passed by this beer quite a few times and was always a little apprehensive about trying it. I felt a little adventurous today at the store so I picked up a bomber of it. We'll see if it was a smart thing to do or not.

I poured this into a pilsner glass so I could get the best idea of what it looked like. I poured a murky orangish amber. A solid slightly half inch off-white head sits on top that fades to a quarter inch but sticks around. Lots of carbonation rising from the depths.

I stick my nose in the glass and at first the only thing I smell is an open can of chipotle peppers. I know I'm smelling a beer but as I do my mind can't decipher between a beer and the peppers. It's strange. Playing tricks on my mind. After trying to smell deeper I do come up with a decent caramel backbone that just barely fights its way through the smoke. I actually like the smell even though it's not like a beer. It makes my mouth water.

Now for the taste test...-braces myself-...Wow! nothing like what I expected. The front starts out like a good red ale. Good caramel maltiness, grainy start. Mid-palate is where the smokiness kicks in. It's a heavy dark campfire like smokiness. The chipotle hits faintly at the swallow and lingers in the aftertaste. Good balance. The longer this beer sits the more the malts shine through and the more heat you get in the back of the throat. It must accumulate. I gave this what I did for taste because it goes above and beyond all others considering the style.

Mouthfeel is good. It's medium bodied and creamy which I think also helps the balance of all this beer. Finishs dry. A slight heat in the throat the more you drink.

Drinkability is good considering what kind of beer it is. I can't imagine another chili beer going down as good.

Overall I'm shocked at the quality of this beer. I was expecting the worst but got something much different. For what this beer is it does a fantastic job at it. Give it a try if you see it. Even if you don't like it it is an expierence worth having.

Slainte! (2,070 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +13.6%

Drank out of a bomber poured into a glass.
A. Pours a very reddish brown with not much head.
S. It smells very smokey. Something that I was not expecting, but tasted very good.
T. A lot different than any other chile beer that I have had. It has a very smokey taste with a slight peppered aftertaste.
M. Once again you get a smoked taste in the mouth with a little bit of a bite from the pepper taste.
D. Very good for the style, but it would be difficult to drink more than a glass or two. (490 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a deep amber color with a slight haze....one finger head gives way to a very small lacing

smells great. crispy hops and subtle malts all over the place....a slight smoky peppery smell in the background. interesting

tastes amazing. this beer hits you with a quick crispy flavor that gives way to a rich maltiness, then you get a kick of smoke after all of that you get a subtle kick of the chipolte in your throat. awesome.

mouthfeel is pretty good. well carbonated. not much else to say here

drinkability is great-- especially for a beer of this style.

overall- this is a very tasty beer. I love smoked beers (rauchbiers, etc). This one soft of tastes like a mixture Rogue's American Amber with a hint of their Smoke Ale....both of which are my favorites, so its not surprising that i like this. get it. (814 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +13.6%

A - One finger of off-white head forms on top of a slightly hazy, reddish copper body. The head doesn't stick around long, and there is no lace to speak of.

S - Caramel malt and the smoky, spicy aroma of roasted chili peppers.

T - Malt, caramel and some sweet, roasted pepper notes up front. Mild chili spice and moderate hop flavor come in together in the middle and compliment each other nicely. Hop bitterness, mild spice and a hint of smoke play off each other in the finish.

M - Medium body, high carbonation, and a moderately dry finish.

D - Easily drinkable. The chili pepper heat is just right to give the beer some spicy character without making it unpleasant, though I could stand a bit more chili flavor. The hops and peppers really play off each other well, and the medium amber maltiness balances everything nicely. This is certainly one of the best out of the few chili beers I have had.

I didn't pair this bottle with any food, but the natural choice would be anything mexican. It is kind of like a Dos Equis Amber, but more complex and with some heat. (1,072 characters)

22 oz bomber

nice orangy-amber color, with a great aroma of smoke and pepper. good mouthfeel, not too thin, but a slight dryness. flavor has a wonderful smoke up front with a clean spicy finish. good malt flavors linger in the background with a subtle sweetness. not much hop character to speak of, with the peppers and all. fantastic beer. the smoke flavor is great, and from what i understand, it's all from the smoked peppers, no smoked malt. one of my all time favorite beverages (486 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a light amber colour, with nice lacing that dissapates to the side of the glass.

Smells of malt, light hop, then tingly pepper aroma.

The taste is malty smooth, with gradual build of smoked and pepper flavour clinging to the cascade hops. The pepper taste is in no way overpowering. It clings to the back of your throat very lightly, just enough to let you know it's there.

The smokey nature of this brew stays with you as you drink it. Very well put together. All the ingrediants seem to be in good balance.

Cheers! (535 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

On tap at Old Bay in New Brunswick, NJ. Reviewed on my Droid.

Arrives a deep copper color with minimal head. Aroma is very malty with a hint of smokiness... first sip is Wow. What a nice unexpected smokiness to this brew. Very much like a rauchbier. A very pleasant suprise. There is no pepper hotness to this at all like I was expecting. I would certainly get this interesting brew again. (390 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

Thanks to Chris for sharing this with me. It pours a deep amber color with a finger of head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is slightly chile spicey, with a slight grainey sweet background. The chile is not all that strong, but it is well in the front of the brew. The flavor is not all that bad. There is a smokeyness that hits initially. The chile kicks in but not all that bed. No burning at all. Just nice roasted chile character. I would like to have this beer with some Mexican food. No real heat, just a slight spice in my stomach. I like it. The feel is moderate with a nice healthy carb. Overall, this is drinkable for a chile brew. The flavors are nicely balanced, the feel is good, the nose is nice. I think if you review this to style, it should be top dog. I take my hat off to Rogue for this brew. Very nice. (828 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

A: single finger head, little retention on a clear amber body.

S: fresh baked bread and lots of yeast with a mild chili note.

T: nice maltiness which fades to chile and chipotle but this one isn't hot. The spiciness is there but there is no burn or overwhelming chili aftertaste compared to others.

M: medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: I like how the chipotle adds to the taste and aroma but doesn't dominate either. Hands down the best chili beer I have had. Just the right amount of heat and chili flavor with nice malt balance. (547 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

First time I've ever tried a "Chile Beer," glad I get to try something from a company I'm fairly familiar with, here goes:

In a pint glass:

A: light amber colored body, really nice looking foamy lumpy white two finger head appears and lasts for a good three minutes before gently dieing into the body. Some carbonation is seen rising. Some spotty lacing is left.

S: wow, I can really smell the jalapeno peppers (honestly, I was a bit skeptical and thought it would be just another amber that displays undertones of peppers)

T: the same adding a very dry smokey aftertaste.

M: medium and sharp on the tongue, possibly because of the peppers that were added (just an assumption, but unfamiliar with the style so slightly unsure). I'm liking this "hot" feel rushing over my tongue after about five minutes of having a couple sips of this, interesting.

O: I've been wanting to try this for a very long time. I'm glad I was finally able to find one. I'm not sure if this is only a "Spring" beer anymore since only recently I saw a large amount added to Bow Street Market, Freeport, Maine. I guess its good for its style since it displays the normal smell and taste of "hot and spicy food" the mouthfeel I'm unsure of and am making an assumption on that part, but I think I would come back to this. I wonder how this would pair with chocolate cake at dessert? (1,359 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wonderful pour. Dark hazy amber, dark orange slipping to sunshine light orange, topped with a soapy, lacey head that sticks around for ages.

Smells of smokiness and lightly sweet malt. Strong, but not particularly complex. No big hints of meat and cheese like you get in a good smokebeer.

Tastes great, much more complex than the nose. Big salami and charcoal in the front, moving into a lightly sweet big malt middle and then the nodes of smokey yellow cheese kick up, moving into perfectly spicey but light pepper. Not at all hot, just peppery. Wonderfully blaalnced. Pepper burn lingers lightly. (604 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

A: amber-red with very small white lacing head
S: upfront smokiness and slightly peppery
T: a slight tingle/burn with a huge flavor of smoke and a tidbit of fruity hops. Almost citrus to counteract the burn. I like it!
M: moderately bodied with a lightly carbonated flush in the tip of the tongue.
O: I like this and as mentioned before I agree that this would pair extremely well with barbecued meats, even smoked spicy meat. Definitely would like honey and spicy bbq ribs slow cooked under cedar chips. My mouth is now drooling lol. Definitely a great experience as my first chili/hot pepper beer. Keep up the great work Rogue! (629 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

This is the first beer of this style that I have ever tried. I must say that I was pleased. Pours a orangish/light brownish/reddish like amber color. It initially has a nice white head about an inch thick that starts to shrink very quickly to almost nothing. Leaves some very decent lacing though. Has a sort of smoked aroma with malt, some caramel, and spices definetly strongly present, hence the chipotle. Tastewise there is some bread and caramel present along malt and most of all spice. this is probabley the most spicy beer I have ever had. The spices have a burning effect on the palate, like one would imagine having in thier mouth after doing shots of whiskey or bourbon, not quite that strong, but still stronger than I have ever had in a beer before. Has a spicy, slightly burning aftertaste that lingers on the palate. Surprisingly (at least to me) I found the mouthfeel to be frothy and creamy with moderate carbonation. Fairly easy to drink. I am happy to say that this was one of the most unique beers I have ever had. Every beer lover should try this at least once, especially those who like spicy food (like myself).

Eric (1,142 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured a 22oz bottle into my Smokestack goblet. The beer pours a reddish copper with a big off white head that dissipates into just a thin layer, leaving sticky lacing all the way down the glass. The aroma starts out as the sweet spiciness that comes from a fresh green jalapeno. There is a subtle sweetness that balances the spiciness very well. The taste is mildly oily and leaves a nice spiciness on the lips and tongue. For someone that really enjoys spicy food, this beer is really good. The mouthfeel is a bit thick honestly. I wish it was a bit thinner. I think that it would balance the spiciness a bit better. While, I think this is a good beer, it would be hard to drink more than a bomber. (700 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a nice dark hazy amber with a nice thick off-white head. Nice lacing, good retention.

Smells like chipotle peppers, no surprise there. Smokey smell also, a slight hop aroma also. This smells wonderful.

Tastes like chipotle peppers, very overpowering, basically the only thing you can taste. A slight hop bitterness, and a nice spicey/burning sensation at the back of my throat for an aftertaste, wow!

Spicey and smooth mouthfeel, considering that it burns as you drink it, its not very drinkable, but I like spicy food, so this isn't that bad to me! What a very unique beer, you either love it or hate it, everyone should try this at least once! (654 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Glowing amber orange with a creamy orange-tinged head with good lacing. I can’t believe the difference in color between this and the Golden is only the chipotles! It’s way to rich in color! Sweet malt with lots of smokiness. Close to a rauchbier in character with “something else” going on. Clean tasting beer, good malt presence, definite chipotle flavor. There is no mistaking this for a rauchbier. Slight spicy tingle builds after a few sips. Smokey aftertaste with lingering bitterness. Tasty brew. I wouldn’t go they *obvious* approach and pair this with a spicy dish, but this would be a nice compliment to simply prepared chicken or an assortment of mild cheeses. (675 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours dark orange color, medium sized head with some lacing left behind.
Strong roasted malt aroma, hint of hops maybe some pepper but I might be looking for it.
The flavor is of a really good hearty ale. Hint of caramel sweetness, lots of roasty malt, an occasional touch of smoke, a swirl of hops and then finishing with a little chili bite. The chili flavor builds the more I drink, but never to more than a pleasant afterthought.
Rather enjoyed this one, think it would be a good compliment to certain foods. (515 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

The beer pours an amber color with a decent head. The aroma has is a mixture of fruit and malt. A little smokiness joins the mix as well. Light to medium bodied on the palate.

The flavor has toasted malt, again with a touch of fruit. As it moves through the center a rich, smoky, pepper flavor rises. It finishes a little spicy, but not too much.

This is a unique brew. I enjoyed the the smoky, spicy finish. It provided a unique balance to the sweetish malt up front. (472 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Aye carumba, a spicy beer that works rather than burns and offends. This is a solid Rogue Ale with that great roasted chipotle taste on the finish. No, it doesn't scour your mouth out but rather it works with any spicy food or even better try it with food that is not spicy like a bowl of vegetable soup; it brings its own spice to the table. It is totally drinkable by itself( there is a smokiness to the finish like a lighter version of rogue smoke). Cool beer that is a benchmark for the style. (497 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Wife picked this up for lil ol me. I'll say I passed it many a times. My error.

Pint glass pour and I am met with a slightly hazy amber colored ale and a decent sized cream colored head. Touch of lacing. Light head stays throughout the session.

The aroma is on the malty almost musky side. Spices are present, meaty, light jalapeno shines through and I like it :o) Yeast. Smoke and leather.

The taste is excellent for the style. Just a touch of heat that lingers...the entire sip and well after. Dulled jalapeno flavor, meat, orange, white pepper and a decent kick of hops to go along with the spice. This beer takes me right to that edge between enough and too much.

Not overly carbonated as the hops and flavor work in unison here.

Overall I really dug this. A bomber is probably enough for the palate, but the overall session was very enjoyable. The right amount of peppers is key and the Rogue crew nailed it here. I'm still getting a little heat and numbing of the gums as I write. Definitely one of my favorite Rogue beers and one I will be hitting up again. (1,070 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Growing numerous varieties of peppers this year, when I saw this on the shelf at my beer store I knew I had to have it.

A: Very nice golden amber color with 2 fingers worth of head that simmer down to a very nice veil of lace that sticks to the sides of the glass well and remains for most of the way down.

S: Excellent floral hops with alot of distinct earthy "garden" aromas. Reminds me of weeding in the garden and smelling all the various vegetable plants and soil smells. Also a deep malty sweetness. Very intriguing.

T: Wow. Such a surprise on the palette and senses. Sweetness of the malt at first that instantly gives way to an incredible smokey flavor from the chilis. Reminds me of bacon wrapped jalapenos without the heat. Makes way to some floral hoppyness and a medium bitterness. I can feel an ever slight amount of heat as well, its so strangely unique. After tastes consists of slight bitterness and a hint of grain/wheat.

M: Average carbonation works well with the hop level and the smokeyness. Leaves a crisp clean taste and moderate ABV isn't noticeable at all.

O: Crazy game that is played on the senses. Flavors that should be coming from food but instead are sipped and a mild heat make this a very unique beer. Not your usual beer style but def worth the price of the bottle and worth trying. (1,321 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Large capped bottle, poured into a pint.

Amber in color, nice white head, average retention, lots of lacing.
Interesting and powerful aroma; lots of malts in here, caramel, roasted tones, and profound spiciness; peppers, of course.
It tastes something like a heavier malted amber ale, with a lot of spiciness, and some spicy heat to make it interesting, without being over the board as I was afraid. All in all, quite tasty, and not offensive. I am glad I tried. (466 characters)

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales