Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
karst

Missouri

3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

Bomber from Luca's Liquors in Ellisville, Mo. Pours amber light tan head. Aromas of toasted malts and faint smokiness. Smoked Chipolte flavors come across as phenolic (band-aids) Hop bitterness only slightly noticed at finish. Medium body with thinish mouthfeel.

I recently had an Amber Chilli Ale from Flatbranch BrewPub in Columbia, Mo that was much more cohesive in its tastes.

About half way through this beer I got some relief as warming peppers finally overwhelmed the impression that I was drinking beer out of a box of Band-Aids. Not what I expected from Rogue a lot more drinkabe than Cave Creek's but the flavors don't meld and like Crazy Ed's it seems to only be a novelty brew.

07-23-2005 14:06:42 | More by karst
seh410

3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance: Fizzy off white/ivory head - it's super bubbly; the head looks like it is composed of rows of bubbles on top of each other. The actual beer is a amber cloudy color that reflects the light. It's pretty standard looking, minus the great head that lingers if you give it a hard enough pour

Aroma: Smells like an amber ale, lots of malt up front. There is some spice and sweetness in the background, along with some sourness. I smell pickled watermelon, chipotle ice cream and some smokiness. Smells yummy.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Wow, there is some spice. After you swallow, there is a definite burning in the throat that is very interesting. I've never experienced this in beer. It's a slow burn that becomes more evident over time. There is also some sweetness - hints of roasted bell peppers maybe? The spice definitely dominates though and the mouth feel is very thin. This is good but weird.

Notes: I was expecting more. This is super spicy, so much so that it is making my acid reflux act up. I would like it more if the spiciness could be minimized a bit, but I guess that's why it is called Chipotle Ale. Split a bomber and not looking for any more. Ever actually. This was nice thing to sample, but I'm not gonna go back for more.

06-15-2010 22:26:55 | More by seh410
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.1/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this for a buck, what the heck?

Pours amber with a 1 finger deep sand colored head. No head retention or lacing

S: Smokey with sweet malt notes

T: Smokey malt & slight spiceyness up front along with a diatechyl sweetness. A little caramel & cinamon sneaks in as well. Finishes smokey & too sweet. I liked the restrained smokiness & heat, but the sweetness detracts

MF: Medium bodied with all right carbonation.

Dranks okay, I could having a couple with a burger, bbq or chilli. Not a huge fan of the stlye, but is better than most others I've tried

12-20-2006 03:44:24 | More by russpowell
Mandrake

Nova Scotia (Canada)

3.1/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours a cloudy brown with a distinctly orange hue and a thick light tan head that lasts reasonably well and leaves a little lacing. Aroma is smoky, with a dark fruitiness and just a hint of hot peppers. Taste is once again dominated by a smoky note, which I've never been fond of. It's probably because, being from an Atlantic province, it's a smell and taste indelibly associated with fish for me. At any rate, other flavours include breads and plum, and the finish is dominated by the heat of the peppers, which try valiantly to save this beer for me, but ultimately come up short. Not bad in it's way, but not up my alley at all.

06-21-2006 00:14:36 | More by Mandrake
juju7

Australia

3.1/5  rDev -13.2%

An interesting beer for sure. It looks good with a bright copper body topped with a rocky, soft head. The nose is somewhat promising with a bit of honey, sweet caramel and light hotness hinting at the peppers. However on the palate it tastes a lttle bit like a prank beer. The kind of vibe where you think this probably would have been pretty good if it didn't have the chilli. Especially by the end of a 650ml bottle I was well over it. It's a well made beer with decent balance, weight carbonation and bitterness some cool smokiness and I guess it's appropriate to the "style" of chilli beer, but I don't really care if I never drink it again.

10-14-2009 11:20:31 | More by juju7
Newmerator

3.1/5  rDev -13.2%

Had this at their location in San Francisco.

Looks great, smells just like Chipotle. So they nailed that on the head. I personally think it's a good beer and they really got what they were going for.

Way too spicy for my liking ,and I could barely finish the sampler me and my buddies got.

worth trying. i don't see this beer coming around again though.

Serving type: nitro-tap

04-16-2009 03:43:16 | More by Newmerator
bryehn

Ontario (Canada)

3.08/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a nice amber colour with a soapy tan head that collars and leaves a small amount of lace at the top of the glass.

Whoa! I don't like this smell. It's like a weird, extremely astringent gasoline or magic marker smell with a chemically smoke overtone. It literally made me gag. I think I expected something softer and more peppery in tone.

The taste is sweet yet smoky after an oddly crisp start. Surprisingly malty and definitely better after it warms.

Mouth is light-medium bodied with a low carbonation. Gets malty and spicy on the back end.

I frankly didn't know that Chille Beer was a style (thought it'd be under herbed/spiced) and have never had one before so I'll give it a pass. But, the smell is just too much for me to consider drinking more than the two I bought already.

06-14-2011 21:03:32 | More by bryehn
jrenihan

Ontario (Canada)

3.08/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a semi-light amber, with two finger-widths of off-white head. Head is frothy, and begins to fade away quickly.

Chipotle is noticeable on the nose. A bit of sweet malt as well. It is a pretty faint smell. Not a lot going on for me. Perhaps a hint of hops.

Taste is mild. I can get a hint of chipotle, but not much. I get only the most mild hint of heat in the finish and aftertaste. Barely noticeable. Beer is otherwise pretty malt focused, but a little bit bland. There is nothing bad about it, but it is by no means exciting or particularly flavourful.

Beer is medium to light bodied, with pretty low carbonation.

Overall, pretty average. Fine but not exciting. Since the beer is assumedly meant to be focused on the chipotle, I was surprised how mild it is.

07-16-2011 00:25:01 | More by jrenihan
starvinbarley

3.08/5  rDev -13.7%

Appearance out of the pour was a dark amber. Aroma held malt and smokey spice. Taste was typical ale with distinct smokey pepper. Unique beer but the smokey chipotle flavor paired with a typical ale turned out distinct yet not tastey. Praise Rogue for originality.

04-23-2009 03:30:46 | More by starvinbarley
JoeMertens

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

A- Pour is cloudy with a red hue, slightly cloudy

S- Lots of smoke on the nose, no hops or malt detected. Smells like an Islay scotch, peated. Slight hint of spicy jalapeno tang.

T- Thin taste, once the smoke and mild heat fades (rapidly), the beer has no finish. Dominantly smoked flavor, as with the nose. Would not know it was from a chipotle unless I was told so.

M- Very light and highly carbonated. Like drinking a pilsner.

D- Enjoyable for one or two at a BBQ or something, would not recommend more than that, simply not interesting enough.

04-03-2010 18:40:38 | More by JoeMertens
slk22

Maryland

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours an amber/honey color, slightly cloudy, with a cream colored head. Aroma is mild with detectable caramel malt and honey notes. Taste is a bready malt with a hint of jalapeno that becomes more pronounced in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a medium body with medium carbonation. An interesting beer, but not one that I would keep on hand.

04-22-2009 02:49:39 | More by slk22
Brent

Kentucky

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

One of my lower scores for a Rogue beer, which is a lineup on which I can usually count. This was not a bad beer, but I was pumped for something special from the addition of the chipotle peppers - not much going on here. Perhaps my bottle was not fresh enough, and the peppers had faded into the background (why does Rogue so steadfastly resist any dating on the bottles?). Overall, this probably fell in the more mellow-end of the pale ale pool. Pretty boring.

01-04-2004 05:56:17 | More by Brent
Pmazz19

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A - Cloudy, light orange color. Nice head about 2 fingers high with decent retention.

S - Smell is almost all chipotle, spicy with a faint hint of malt in the background.

T - Very interesting, lingering spice followed by a light malt a very light hop character

M - Dry, medium carbonation. Kind of feels like its leaving a coating on my mouth

D - This is definitely not a beer I'd drink on a regular basis but as an occasional oddity its not bad. I found the taste to be very interesting although not that refreshing and it definitely did not leave me wanting more. I had it with steak tacos which turned out to be a great pairing. I'll probably drink this again but not in the near future.

03-28-2009 17:22:42 | More by Pmazz19
ectomorph

Tennessee

Another Rogue brew.

A - Dark copper in color like an old penny. Off white head hangs around and leaves thick lace.

S - Malty up front but the smoky/spicy smells aren't far behind.

T - Little bit of maltiness initially then BANG Smoke! Really deep smoke flavor and spiciness are new to me in beer. Not sure I'm a fan...

M - Medium bodied and carbonated.

D - Good for a starter, but not one to have a bunch of.

07-15-2008 22:47:28 | More by ectomorph
Mitchel

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

Hmmm… attention-grabbing. It pours a cloudy orange-brown. The head is moderate and pasty with great retention. It smells of chipotle (obviously) and smoky malts. Just a hint of fruitiness in the nose.

It is surprisingly smooth and soft on the palate. It is a little bready and just a tiny bit spicy. For me, the chipotle is overpowering. I wasn’t sure what I was looking for exactly, but I got a salsa flavored drink. The spiciness is from the chipotle and not from hops and it can get stronger as you drink. Nothing to be worried about though. Medium body and just a hint of citrus.

Rogue’s Chipotle Ale is interesting. The chipotle can be overpowering but if you are a lover of peppers, then this is a winner. This beer is not my favorite offering from Rogue, but they do have many more beers to offer. Mediocre in my book.

04-03-2006 02:19:08 | More by Mitchel
PorterLambic

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

I love beer (duh) & I love spicy things so this seemed a natural choice.

Pours (from the 650 ml bottle) a nice light brown with a red tinge. The light tan head lasts but it left no lace to speak of.
Smell is disappointing. I could feel the chipotle spice (capsaicin) in my nose, tickling and tempting me but could smell nothing except hops & malt.
Taste is a bit better with smoke (chipotles are just smoked jalapenos after all), malt and a slight peppery (chipotle) taste.
A medium body with very light heat from the peppers, barley noticeable to a capsaicin addict like me. Not overly hoppy for a Rogue either. I'd say it's safe for the masses to try, not to spicy, not to hoppy, not too much of anything really. I expected more though.

01-16-2006 20:09:11 | More by PorterLambic
xav33

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Rogue Chipotle Ale
Bomber
Brewed Spring 06, buvar 09/06
Medium pour in a stein.

Poured a hazy reddish brown with a small rocky white fully diminishing head.

Smelt of roasted habaneros and light dark bread.

Taste was upfront light sweet breadiness with the bitter roasted habanero taste kicking in afterwards and a touch of almost lemony acidity for a finish that is hidden by the spicyness. Mouthfeel was light, watery, with soft carbonation and light burning peppers.

Overall, the roasted habanero taste is subdued enough for this ale to be enjoyable, but is otherwise fairly boring tastewise.

09-13-2006 05:16:36 | More by xav33
mwagner1018

3.03/5  rDev -15.1%

A- Pours a nice coppery amber color, with a nice thick 2-3 fingers of head into pint glass.

S- An odd combination of bitterness, floral, and smokiness, definite pepper in the nostril, sweet, but distinct and different.

T- Honestly, I didn't enjoy the earthy, sticky, tingle from the off smoky chipotle flavor, nicely carbonated, but not balanced for me, too much on the taste buds. I generally like smoked peppers and the nice flavor associated with them, but this combination did not appeal to me.

M- Good carbonation, but an odd waxy feeling on the tongue and walls of mouth, goes down with a rough scratch.

D- One is more than enough, could not drink the entire bomber. The complexity that I was hoping for, and the balance of the sweet, bitter, and smoky peppers did not appear. Disappointed by this one.

Big fan of Rogue, but can do without this one. I would recommend to others to try it, but will not plan on doing this one again.

02-18-2009 23:35:51 | More by mwagner1018
wahhmaster

3.03/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured from a 650 mL bottle into a nonic imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a reddish-tan color with a thick foamy tan head that dissipates slowly leaving nice lacing.

Smell: Malty with a kind of musky roasted pepper aroma in the background.

Taste: Tastes like, well, chipotle. Has a roasted pepper taste that pretty much masks whatever else this beer has to offer. Not too spicy, but the pepper flavor is a little overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Light, and pretty refreshing. The peppers add a nice bite to this as well.

Drinkability: An interesting beer. If you're looking for something interesting to pair with tacos (I did) or Mexican food, this might be the beer for it. Not necessarily something I will go to in the future, but worth a try.

11-06-2009 23:25:24 | More by wahhmaster

07-12-2013 14:27:36 | More by TheMrFarnham
timjim1327

08-18-2013 02:40:47 | More by timjim1327
Troyone

Pours an amber color with a copper hue, little to no head, and the carbonation appears limited.

Sweet toasted malt aroma with resin orange hops and hints of vanilla and pepper in the background.

The taste has a sweet acidic flavor with roasted malt and resin grapefruit/orange hops.

The mouthfeel is smooth with a medium body, dry slightly syrupy texture, soft and lively carbonation, and a metalic/chalky finish.

The pepper flavor along with the chalky finish limits the drinkability.

04-29-2005 09:54:26 | More by Troyone