Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
TheJudge

2.93/5  rDev -17.9%

The beer pours a nice red color, no real head to speak of. Not bad. The nose is disappointing. Some malt aroma, no hops, no pepper smell. I expected more, from Rogue and from the billing on the bottle.

The taste is SMOKEY. They call it subtle, but it ain't. No spice really, just smoke. Not what I was expecting. I wanted to get some pepper out of it, but it just wasn't really there. Felt good in the mouth, slight burn that was reminicent of pepper.

I dont think I will have another one of these. I admit I am not always a fan of smoke beers, but I love my peppers. I was disappointed.

04-12-2005 17:12:01 | More by TheJudge
robwestcott

Indiana

2.93/5  rDev -17.9%

poured a reddish brown to a dogfish head signature glass with a foamy tan head leaving a slight bit of lacing.

smoky nose, not much of a hint of chili.

taste of pepper and smoke up front and slightly bitter after.

not particularly refreshing, maybe best with spicy food (?)

average to below average.

06-02-2010 00:47:09 | More by robwestcott
alexhammond

Maine

2.93/5  rDev -17.9%

pours a light red with a thick tan head, and lots of lacing as this one drinks.
initially, I get a whiff of smokiness which reminds me a bit of pipe tobacco and leather. not unpleasant, but not what I was expecting.
the taste that hits you up front is definitely the BBQ-like smokey flavors, but I'm not getting much heat like you would from a hot pepper (which, perhaps, is not really the intention here). malty sweetness starts to come through as this one finishes, very little carbonation and a decent smooth mouthfeel.
I wasn't expecting to make this beer something I'd drink on the regular, but I was hoping for maybe a fun/gimmick type of brew that would be fun to buy every once and awhile to pair with appropriate cuisines. I think the smokey flavors don't really blend well with the malt and hops of an ale, and are better suited for a porter or stout. Definitely not a bad beer, I drank it all and enjoyed it for the most part, but not something I'd go out of my way to drink again.

11-20-2009 13:07:19 | More by alexhammond
ScarletLady

Maryland

2.9/5  rDev -18.8%

Nice head that didn't hang around leaving ok lacing. A smokey nose. A HUGE smokey flavor with the slight bite coming through at the end. I expected a heavier mouthfeel and I thought it was a little on the thin side. Overall a really interesting beer and I recommend that you try it. I couldn't finish what I had been given - I found the taste too overwhelming to drink a pint of it but i liked it. I am thinking of using it in recipes, maybe in my Beer Cheese soup, or maybe in place of a stout in gravy.

05-25-2006 14:55:00 | More by ScarletLady
assurbanipaul

2.9/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours a clear ruby amber with a medium tan head, well carbonated. Aroma is sweet and malty, not much in the way of herbs or peppers to be found.

Taste is mostly malt, toasted and bready-sweet with a touch of herbal dryness. Nothing immediate in the way of chile flavors, as one would expect, but a subtle, smokey vegetal chile element builds over time. No perceptable heat at all, at least by me. Yawn.

Mouthfeel is medium and clean, easy to drink. The chiles lend a nice earthiness but it would be hard to characterize this alongside other chile beers. A good choice with the chipotles but you could double or triple the amount (chipotles are among the mildest peppers) and get a much better beer.

08-22-2005 02:15:28 | More by assurbanipaul
paxkey

Ontario (Canada)

2.88/5  rDev -19.3%

excited to try this beer after reading the brothers review.

straight pour into nonic gets nice cascade with a two finger head. head is offwhite shrinking down quickly.

the aroma wafts up from the pour spicy orange malt, smells interesting enticing and delicious.

delicious upfront bitterness ends with a chipotle pepper kick. i taste both roasted and raw pepper flavors, infused quite well. leaves a bitter peppery aftertaste that lingers on and on.

this beer aint for the weak. it is bold on flavor and will challenge your conceptions of acceptability, bordering on ..not sure the right word,was gonna say cloying but it aint sweet, just chipotle-ish...which is interesting and nice and present but a bit hard to take in.

best appreciated when drinking slowly with food. need time off between sips on this one. but one damn interesting beer. the bitterness is great the chipotle may take some getting used to.

06-25-2011 23:25:07 | More by paxkey
dpnelson1978

2.88/5  rDev -19.3%

22 oz. bottle into glass pint.
45°F

$6.99 / ea.

A: Bright copper body topped with a loose tan two finger head of moderate retention that leaves moderate lacing and a thin bubbly cover.

S: Pretty much exactly what I expected, and yet it was still a bit of a shock. A light, but striking hot spice aroma over the slightest sweet bready malt. There is no doubt as to the style. No hop aroma, but it isn't missed.

T: Bready malt backbone with an unmistakable chipotle flare. The heat builds, but plateaus at a tolerable level that doesn't leave you looking for something else to satiate your thirst. No hop flavor or aftertaste, but the light heat remains well after the final sip.

M: Medium body and borderline flat. The body is smooth, but that isn't saying much with the lack of carbonation. Pretty poor.

D: More of a curiosity than a night on the town. This is an interesting beer to experience, but grows tiresome. Just happens to be the exact opposite of refreshing.

O: My first chile beer, and possibly my last.

10-20-2010 01:50:27 | More by dpnelson1978
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color with a short foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malts, chipotle peppers and some hops.

T: The taste is very malty and a lot sweeter than I expected. The chipotle pepper flavor is merely in the background and doesn't overpower you. The hops presence is decent, but between the hearty malt character and the heat of the chipotles the hops are phased out. The after-taste is slightly smoky.

M: Smooth with a little crispness, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish.

D: A little tasty, goes down ok, slightly filling, while this beer is more drinkable than most beers of the style that try to burn your mouth, I believe this might be a much better beer to cook with than to drink.

07-11-2007 03:28:15 | More by TheManiacalOne
GatheringBrews

Vermont

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours a dark, copper color with a slightly off white head.

Aroma is smoked pepper and a small bit of malt.

Taste is a medium bodied amber ale overwhelmed a bit by the smoke of the pepper.

The mouthfeel is a bit over dry.

Finish has smoke, which seems to pervade the beer from start to finish. Just not my thing.

01-06-2011 03:09:31 | More by GatheringBrews
BoozySmurf

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Served on tap at the Blue Dog, this arrived in a pint glass with a tiny collar of white foam atop clear amber. Smell was of an american brown ale: nutty, sweet aroma with citrus hop notes (cascades)? Initially the taste was similar with a good mix of caramel sweet maltiness and bitter hops, but the taste changed to that of the chipotle. It was a smoky barbeque type taste, and only minimal heat from capcaesin. Mouthfeel was light-bodied and seemed appropriate for what I'm guessing was a 5% ABV beer, give or take 0.2%. I drank it quickly, but more so to get it over with.

Note: Interesting flavor, but I doubt I'll revisit this style any time soon. I am fond of hot sauce and tobasco has long since replaced ketchup on my scrambled eggs, but it doesn't seem to work well with this beer, and the aftertaste was annoying.

11-14-2006 22:52:37 | More by BoozySmurf
taxguyjase

New Mexico

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance - A beautiful rich amber. A decent amount of head - looks pretty carbonated. 4.0/5.0

Smell - You can get a hint of the pepper, but that's all - just a hint. The malt dominates the nose. I really was hoping for a slightly more dominate chipotle smell, but didn't get it. - 2.5/5.0

Taste - Mostly malt, and kinda sweet. You can detect a slight pepper burn, but it's really mild. For a chile beer, I expect a stronger flavor than what I got. The Sierra Blanca Pancho Verde is on the other end of the spectrum, being an almost overly strong green chile taste. Some smoke as well. - 3.0/5.0

Feel - Coats the mouth well, with a bit of pepperly aftertaste. 4.0/5.0

Drinkability - Given the style, I'll pass on it. While I enjoyed it, it's not what I would have expected from a beer whose style is focused on the chile. 2.0/5.0

06-16-2010 02:21:26 | More by taxguyjase
MattBrooks

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Well, I've been a fan of Rogue beers for many years, so I expected a little more from this ale. It made me almost nervous that it was made with chipotle peppers; but it really didn't have an overly spicy taste. The "hotness" shows up on the finish a little. It is clean, and pure...and that's classic Rogue style, but the body was also light and a tad simple. It would be easy to pound a few of these; that is, if you like peppers.

06-09-2007 18:25:46 | More by MattBrooks
sleazo

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Bottle purchased from Union Square Trader Joes.

A-Orange brown and cloudy when poured into a tall thin mug. Nice four finger head has some serious staying power.

S-the nose on this is very bready and there is a nice NW hop profile as well. If i did not know the beer had chilis in it I probably would not be able to discern that quality. As is I do detect a faint spice.

T-This tastes more like a brown ale or a light pale ale. I really do not taste the chipotles at all here. Some nice malt up front followed by a lingering bitterness. After going through about half of this there is a mild spice sting in the back of my throat.

M-light body, light carbonation.

D-I was expecting more out of this as I love both Rogue and Chipotle peppers. I was hoping this could be an Ingredient in my chili as the chipotle should have added to the effect. This is basically a dumbed down Rogue offering.

06-18-2007 02:17:43 | More by sleazo
TheBeerWolf

Nevada

2.83/5  rDev -20.7%

I have to say I was a bit disappointed after reading the reviews here then actually drinking one of these. I was expecting to have something that would either be pretty vile or pretty dang tasty to me since I do like chilis and spicy food. Well I did not get either really. It pours a nice yellow with a bit of a red hue and a slightly white head that laces pretty quickly. The smell to me was a bit like fermented fruit with just a hint of smokiness in the background. The taste was what kind of let me down but not in a horrible way. It ended being so average to me, I was expecting to either be wowed or just grossed out by something that tasted too much like peppers. I don't know maybe I'm crazy but it just tasted like a very average thin ale with just a tiny hint of smokiness in the background. The immediate aftertaste is just the smokiness but after a while if you let it sit on your tongue I get a hint of burnt chili seeds. It was not too bad for me getting through the one bomber but I gave it a 2.5 on drinkability because I could definately imagine it turning off alot of people and just left me pretty unimpressed either way. Not horrible or anything but I don't think I would buy another one. I cracked open a Stone Pale Ale after drinking this one and that just tasted soooo good after drinking this stuff.

09-08-2006 13:02:32 | More by TheBeerWolf
hiikeeba

2.8/5  rDev -21.6%

A - pours up hazy light brown with a thick head with big bubbles that dissipates slowly

S - Smells of fruit, some citrus hop aroma

T - Sweet malt with a hint of raisin flavor. No chipotle flavor. Some heat in the back of my throat a minute or two after swallowing. It slowly--slowly-- spread around my mouth.

M - Nothing to write home about. It's not thin and it's not thick.

D - The heat is a nice tingle, but I expected more smoke. Too raisiny for my taste.

12-29-2007 23:03:59 | More by hiikeeba
DocJitsu

2.8/5  rDev -21.6%

Pours a clear golden copper with an eggshell colored, foamy head. Average head retention with some foamy lacing. Lemon zest, chili pepper, and plastic aromas. Orange notes, smokiness, and an unpleasant plastic flavor. Drinks like a Märzen. Mouthfeel is smooth and soft until the finish, which brings a fine sandpaper-like scrubbing. The faintest capsicum burn on the back of the throat. This is not a great beer. Certainly not Rogue's best effort. Lots of optimism in the idea though.

04-18-2012 02:26:14 | More by DocJitsu
CHSLBrew

2.78/5  rDev -22.1%

Bomber poured into a pint glass, shared with a friend.

A-Orange -amber beer with a white head on top, slowly receding to a thin layer.

S-The smell is overwhelmed by chipotle peppers. That's pretty much it.

T-As with the smell, chipotle peppers hijack this beer's flavor. Other beer characters are largely covered by the peppers' flavor. A slight heat on the otherwise smokey finish.

M-Medium body with appropriate carbonation.

D-I did not care for this beer. I think the pepper flavors were too prominent, which left no room for other beer flavors to represent. An interesting beer to try, but I won't be trying this one again in the future.

01-04-2009 21:57:31 | More by CHSLBrew
mugglesandhops

Oklahoma

2.78/5  rDev -22.1%

On tap at the Rogue brew pub in Newport.

This is my first "spiced" beer I have ever tried and The only reason I even got this is to try all the Rogues I have never tried. I was not impressed at all by this one. Poured a red color with a good 2 finger head on it. Pepper comes out in the nose right away and that's pretty much all im pulling out of this one. Taste as it smells, very peppery, very spicy especially in the end...good med. bodied feel to it. I will not drink this again.

12-11-2008 22:38:44 | More by mugglesandhops
Justin23060

A - Slight head that disappeared to ice tea foam. Cloudy orange ice tea color
S - Sweet malt. Not as much chipotle smell as I was expecting. Slight pleasant leather that turned into unpleasant medicated bandade.
Taste is dominated by smokey chipoltle. Smoke is of mild rauchbier. Starts sweet end semi dry. Nice linger.
M - Adequate
O - Not super impressed by this one. The smoke was nice but the bandaid really killed it for me. Probably won't get this again, and can really recommend it in good conscience.

11-18-2012 04:23:20 | More by Justin23060
justinwright

03-08-2012 05:26:20 | More by justinwright
CortexBomb

2.75/5  rDev -23%

No idea about how well this bottle will have aged since it's currently nearly the start of fall and this is a spring seasonal.

Pour is blackish tinged golden. Opaque. A modest, 2 mm thick white head sits on top of the beer, and the overall apperance of the ale is rock solid. The smell seems to be mainly malty...there are some light spicy edges, but they really aren't as prominent as I was expecting them to be.

Taste starts out malty, like the nose and that seems to be all there is for a bit, but then the chipotle (hot and spicy) decideds to show up and make its presence felt. The spice isn't absolutely house burning, but it is definitely distinct and strong enough to grab your attention. Swallow is a light bit of hoppy bitters, and then gone with only a lingering hot feel from the chipotle. Not the most depthy taste in the world, but I like the hot sensation and the uniquness of it in my still limited experience with this style of beer is enough to make me like this brew.

The mouth on this is average for beer in general. It's not thick, at all, but it does have some nice sensations courtesy of the chipotle, so it still maintains average. Drinkability, a challenge. This beer is ok when you first pour it, but do not allow it to warm, or nurse it slowly because it seemed to get harder to drink as time went on. I think this would be improved vastly by either sharing the beer (a bomber is probably too much of this flavour for one person) or by pairing with a similarly aggressive food.

Overall, this might be a gimmick, but it seems to work, for about the first 1/2 of the bottle at least. Best split with someone else, or paired with very spicy food.

08-30-2006 01:05:08 | More by CortexBomb