Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 693 | Hads: 1,383
4.2/5  rDev +17%

650mL bomber poured into a tulip glass to really capture those peppery aromas. No dates on the bottle.

The body is a delicious ruby orange and clear as a crystal. It agitates well into a nice thick khaki head. Decent retention and some beautiful lacing. I'd give this a 5 if only the head stuck around a little longer.

Well balanced. Great earthy platform from the Willamette hops, along with a bready malt profile bragging of caramel sweet undertones. I won't lie, there is a hint of rubber band somewhere in the back, but it is not unpleasant - just unexpected. Soft pepper notes up front like pepperoni that fade into the unique chipotle twinge in the finish.

The hops create a pleasant bittering that cleans the palate for the peppers to follow. Well done Rogue, that's planning ahead. Hearty malt profile that is subtle yet present; again, not stealing the show from the peppers, but making sure everything stays balanced. Medium bodied with a grainy mouthfeel, perfect for rustling those flavors up. Nice soft bittering aftertaste with a hint of spiciness.

Job well done. I had a cajun pepper ale a while back that was way out of whack. It seemed that they made an ale, and just added peppers without thinking of how the two blend. Rogue, on the other hand, seemed to put a lot of thought into the final product with this brew. The level of intensity for each ingredient is balanced well with the others.
I could see this brew pairing well with chipotle based foods, but I would personally recommend not going that route. I would say, embrace this ales complexity with some nice pulled pork or rotisserie chicken. Think subtly sweet, like cornbread or bbq. This ale would be perfect for cooking southern recipes with.

Side note: I would let this brew sit out of your fridge for about 15-20 minutes before serving it. I had a glassful while it was cold, straight out of the fridge and it was okay. Once a half hour went by (with the bottle sitting in room temperature) and I had the second glass, the malt really shined. This immensely helps bring out those rich chipotle features.

4.2/5  rDev +17%

This lightly spicy, heavily smoky beer makes a unique session brew. With not too much spiciness it is suprisingly drinkable, rather than a novelty, and the smoky chipotles give it enough of a unique kick to keep it interesting all night. There is a certain medicinal quality to the smoky flavor that is noticable in the odor and taste, and it is a little too overpowering to make this a perfect beer.

4.2/5  rDev +17%

22-ounce bottle poured into a tulip yields a cherry-amber body capped with a finger of loose, mottled off-white foam that recedes to a ring and leaves swatches of lacing on the glass.

Smell is sweet and toasty-malty with a bit of hot sauce.

Taste is malty and sweetly toasty with a bit of citrus and a nice kick of hot pepper. I bought this beer specifically to drink along with a snack of some rustic multigrain bread, olives, dried Italian salami and a crumbly sheep/goat's milk cheese, and it turned out plenty big to work along with the potent salty/spicy/sour flavors and oily textures in the gnosh. The beer is extremely reminiscent of the Rogue in-your-face pale ale style, which in my mind almost always comprises a consistent malty base with odd experimental flavors defiant of convention that, in reality, seldom overpower the solid base of the drink and fit in just fine. There's a chocolatey bit of caramel in the drink as it warms.

Creamy and soft with great drinkability. Devilishly smooth, warm, and satisfying.

4.2/5  rDev +17%

Appearance- Clear copper with a mild head.

Smell- Malty and spicy, almost smoky. Some piny/citrusy hops.

Taste- Malt at first then a wisp of smoke, then the slight heat. Nothing too over powering, just mild enough to balance the malts. Much better than I had expected.

Mouthfeel- Crisp and clean, full bodied and mildly carbonated.

Drinkability- Very nice, I like it much more than I thought I would. The pepper is definitely noticable yet not enough to put me off of the brew. I'll buy it again.

look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I wasn't that enthusiastic about the beer going in, so I was pleasently surprised when I got to it. First off, it's a lovely color, a nice transparent reddish hue. The smell is a nice, light sharp scent, not unlike a decent pale ale. The taste starts out not unlike a good pale ale, but with a delightfully complex background. It's nowhere near as hoppy as some of Rogue's other brews, and you don't notice the peppers so much in the flavor.

Where you do notice the peppers is an odd spot in the back of your throat that seems to warm as you drink the beer. It's a curious feeling, and absolutely wonderful. A truly unique brew.

4.19/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

got a bomber of this, super great. this is one of the more interesting beers ive had. great unfiltered orange appearance with a nice white head. the smell is great, really unique. not much of hops, a bit of sweet carmel malts, but loaded with bbq, hickory smokiness which is just really unique and interesting, in a good way. the smokiness is definltey stronger in the nose than the mouth, the taste is much spicer and accute than the smell that is less pin pointed. less smokey, much more chile, chiptole, jalepenos. tickles the palate on the way out. everything i wanted in this beer in regards to taste. tons of notes reminding me of bbqs, hickory chips, and tons of hot peppers. the drinkability isnt too high, in regards to quantity. but for quality i think it really is highly drinkable and enjoyable. really, really happy with this. another great beer from rogue.

4.19/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'm trying to figure out if this version of the beer has changed much, if at all, from prior years because it was a lot better than I remember. The appearance of the poor was a dark amber hue with a light head. The smell was smokey with a little bit of pepper mixed in with the hops and malt smells. The taste and mouthfeel are what I love the most about the beer. The taste is deeply smokey with just a little bit of spice on the back of the throat. It makes the beer an easy pairing with Spanish and Indian food. The mouthfeel as well coats your cheeks so that there's a light tingle from the spice. Overall was very nice and for the price I found it at (7.99) not a bad buy.

4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

Upon opening some smoke comes out. Upon pouring it pours an off white beige-ish head that is about one finger width. The head retains okay and it laces pretty well. The body is an orange-ish almost amber color. You can see bubbles rise to the top.

The smell comes through with some hops and some smoky pepperiness. Smells pleasing.

You can taste lightly a combination of hops and malt. With these flavors, the hops seem to come through more. What comes through strongly throughout all of that is smoky pepperiness. You can taste the peppers that comes through in a nice smoky peppery delicoius beer.

The mouthfeel is different here. In this beer the carbonation is nice making it a smooth drinkable beer. However, the fact that this is a chile beer gives it a different kick in the mouthfeel. Its something I have not experienced before. You can feel the kick in it, maybe even more than in the actual taste.

Overall, its something to try even if it does not sound appetizing. A chipotle ale does not sound like a delicious beer to drink; or at least it did not sound good to me before I tried it but I am willing to try everything. So, even if a chipotle ale does not sound like a nice delicious ale, give it a try anyway. I enjoyed the new kind of taste that is not normal in most ales.

4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

Into a weizen glass, Pours out a very cloudy brown color with a nice large head. Aroma is moderately malty, no pepper scent I can detect. First taste is a good combination of malt and floral, spicy bitterness, and then at the finish a big bouquet of chipotle smokiness, sweet yet hot, and also phenolic. Very tasty! Moderate carbonation and neutral mouthfeel.

One of my favorites from rogue.

4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

Wow! First chile beer. Very delicious.

Ruddy brown color with some off white, creamy head that lasted for a while but left little lacing. Didn't really know what to expect from this style, though.

Smell is mostly sweet malt with some smokiness from the chipotle (smoke-dried jalapenos). Taste is malty up front, kind of sweet with a very unique sweet malt taste. The only action I am getting from the chiles is smoke right now.

Now i start to get the chile parts of the beer--a little burning in the back of the throat from the jalapenos, very balanced though--amazingly drinkable. Very good overall. I don't know how old this is or how age has affected it, but very good and very subtle with the chile--expertly done.

4.17/5  rDev +16.2%

I was a bit skeptical of trying a beer with jalapenos in it. I've tried other chili beers before, but my wife bought this for me, so I finally tried it.

Surprisingly this is very good for a Chile brew. The beer pours well producing a light tan head that lasts quite a while. I took my time with this 20oz bomber, and after about 45 minutes the head finally totally dissipates. The body is dark copper in color and is quite hazy.

Chipotle Ale aroma is malt dominant with subtle hops aroma. There is a faint smoky pepper fragrance too.

This tastes initially sweet and smoky, and finishes peppery like pepper jack cheese with a tartness.

Feels smooth and a bit oily. The spiciness is not only noticeable to the palate, but on the lips and back of the throat as well.

Again, this is a pleasant surprise and I wouldn't mind another one about now.

4.17/5  rDev +16.2%

This has a nice dark copper color with an off-white head. The smell is very nice, sweet with a bit of chocolate. The taste is very good. It is sweet, spicy and smokey. Almost like a Scottish Ale. The finish is dry and bitter, but not a typical hop bitterness. The smoke flavor is noticeable but not overbearing. My mouth kind of feels like I was drinking a good beer and smoking a good cigar. Mouthfeel is nice and full, very smooth. And the drinkability is good.

4.17/5  rDev +16.2%

Ok, this is what it is, a very spicy well crafted beer of it's kind. You will like it if you are a fan of hot buffalo chicken wings. If you can't stand the heat...stay out of the kitchen! I feel it's one of the best of it's type, and worth a try. Don't be a "cry baby", try something different for a change.

4.17/5  rDev +16.2%

On tap at Beer Revolutions.

Appearance- Pours a amber hue with a 1/4 finger width of foamy head.

Smell- Earthy hops with a nice smoky character.

Taste- Nice smokiness in this brew. The chipotle plays a lead role in this one. There is nice balance of citrus and hops. Has a nice dry finish.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with light carbonation.

Overall- A nice spiced brew from Rogue. I enjoyed the smoky character with the easy drinkability. Worth a go for those that like this type of style and are adventurous enough.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

At first, I wasn't too impressed with this, but the more I drink it the more I like it.

Typical red ale/amber ale appearance of a dark amber to copper colour. Head is vigorous and takes sometime to settle down. It leaves a decent layer and sticks to the side of the glass in clumps.

At first I thought this smelt like a generic albeit well-done pale ale: a good blend of malts and hops. But the more I poured, the more the beer warmed and the more nose I got, I could smell the heat of the chipotle. Sweet, smokey and spicey. No hops at all: the smoked chipotle overwhelm them, and even the malts are subdued by the pepper.

Initial tastes were of malts, but there is a slow creeping smoky spice flavour. I can definitely taste the peppers. As I swallow, there is a definite pepper taste, and the aftertaste leaves a lingering, faint burning in the back of my throat. Not unpleasant by any means, but rather, it is quite fitting.

This feels a bit thick on the tongue for the taste. I think this could benefit from a bit more carbonation, considering the spicy aftertaste. This is not something I would try to drink more than one of...the combination of flavours make this a potent brew.

4.17/5  rDev +16.2%

A clean dark amber beer with orange hightlights. Has a big foamy off white head. Aroma ... OK smoked chille peppers and just a hint of sweet malt in the background, but mostly smoked chille peppers. Taste ... Ok this has got to be on of the best tasteing "chile" beers I hav had yet. A great smooth smoky character at first then a little malty sweetness with a spicey hop finish and then in true Chipolte fashion a slow building pepper burn. YUM

4.17/5  rDev +16.2%

I just cracked this after having it for a while. I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised! Very normal color and the head is good. The smell is a little odd, probably the peppers in there. When I taste it, there's a little malt not a lot of hops. The Chipotle is very nice on the back end! I would buy this beer again, but you will need to have a taste for it! Very nice drinker!

4.17/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearance: Translucent, orange-copper in color, like a tropical iced tea. Very pretty, and deceptively innocent-looking. Thin, off-white head with poor retention and hardly any lacing.

Smell: Interesting! There's a wonderful smoky flavor from the pepper, but it doesn't overwhelm the sweet malt character, which contains hints of brown sugar. Deep sniffs will tingle your nose, almost to the point of inducing sneezes.

Taste: Excellent smoky chipotle flavor that doesn't overpower the brew itself (in fact, judging by the aroma, I was expecting more heat). Sugary malts balanced with just the right amount of hops and the pepper's acidity. This is an excellent, well-rounded amber ale by itself, and the chipotle takes it to a whole different level. The beer has a clean, peppery, acidic, and slightly dry finish. Awesome.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, with tingly bubbles and spiciness. Swallowing is accompanied by a mouth-watering, fleeting burn.

Drinkability: Fun to drink. The flavor makes it something that shouldn't be chugged, but it won't weigh you down or overwhelm you.

Rogue Chipotle Ale

Poured from the bomber and was greeted with a deep amber color beer. There was a thin off white head that sat atop the brew that quickly settled to a scant foamy film across the top. Not much lacing at all. (Is this from the oils that were in the peppers?)

I enjoy cooking and have used canned chipotles on several occasions. There is no secret what the aroma is... Chipotle Peppers all the way mixed with a slight malt aroma. The smoky aroma that comes from the chipotles is quite intriguing.

I have to admit that I'm really enjoying this beer. It almost seems that the malt notes are balanced with the smokiness & spiciness of the chipotles vs. the traditional hops.

I timed this tasting/review to go along with a spicy Buffalo Chicken appetizer that we are having. I tried the beer first and now am enjoying both together. I have to say the pairing is excellent.

Mouth feel is fairly light but seems bigger due to the smoky/spicy nature of the beer.

The finish is more of a lingering spiciness with very subtle hop notes.

I really like this.

I would highly recommend pairing with the proper food. Not sure I'd drink this on its own. But for the specific spicy occasion this is perfect.

Note - I've let three other family members try this with the spicy appetizer and all three really enjoyed it.

Get it the next time you have guests and intend to serve a spicy dish.

4.17/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Quite opaque, bronze/copper color. Minimal lacing/head.

Smells more malty than hoppy, you can detect a bit of peppery/spicy heat.

Perhaps a bit biased, as I'm enjoying this with arroz con pollo, but I believe this beer to be quite complex and well-balanced. The first wave is a little cinnamon sweet, you get the bready/toasty maltness, followed quickly with the warmth of the cinnamon and something like cardamom. The spice flavors seem well blended, like the beer has been aged or something. Lots of after-tastes.. ham/bacon, more spices/herbs, licorice perhaps.

Surprisingly light. Like the beer turns into vapor when it hits your tongue. Quite refreshing.

Overall, a solid entry into the spiced/herbal beers from Rogue. Worth a try.

4.17/5  rDev +16.2%

A: It's a slightly hazy reddish copper with a decent sized white head that settles quickly, doesn't leave much lacing, and doesn't retain well. The color is really nice, and I'm not sure that a chile beer would be able to sustain a large head, so I'm not docking it too much.

S: It's got a really sweet aroma mixed with some smokey pepper aromas and perhaps even a hint of fruitiness. It's not really spicy or anything, but I really like it. The understated smokiness is really nice.

T&M: Mmm, it's quite good. There's a definite sweet malt base that is supported adequately with a slightly fruity hop character. The peppers are there, but not extremely offensive. There's a smoky character throughout, but the heat comes in on the finish. This is a solid beer. Body is on the lighter side of medium, and the carbonation is decent, but could be a tad stronger.

D: Obviously, one wouldn't want to session this beer, but it's quite drinkable because the intensity from the peppers isn't overbearing, though the flavor is sufficient. Another solid beer from Rogue.

4.16/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- Pint glass poured with a slightly hazy amber colored ale and a cream colored head, very pleased.

S- The spices are noticeable, but the chipotle pepper aroma is vaguely there and not overpowering. Smells more on the smokey side.

T- The taste is quite unexpected in a beer, but goes hand in hand with the name of the beer, you definitely get a kick, but definitely not overpowering.

M- On the light-medium side, carbonated well.

O- I found myself looking at this beer in the store thinking, Rouge doesn't let down, so I decided to go for it. Man I was in for a surprise, it was not what I expected, but I fell in love sip after sip, but definitely not a beer to have in high quantities. Great Beer!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bomber poured into a stein. Eaten with Chipotle drenched in Tabasco Chipotle sauce.

A-Deep amber with thin creamy tan head

S-Crisp ale with smokey peppers

T-Malty ale with after taste of chipotle peppers (obviously)

M-Just rich enough to let the malty sweetness and smoky peppers flow on your tongue

O-Very interesting take on an ale, but I highly recommend drinking with food with some kind of chipotle seasoning. It complements so well that they should sell it at all Mexican restaurants.

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

Since this beer is spicier than it is smokey, it would pair well with mexican or spicier foods. The beer pours an amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a rich malty scent that boasts of pale, crystal, and roasted malts along with spicey red chile edge. The taste is good as well. It has a smooth, malty flavor that boasts of crystal and roasted malts along with a very spicey chipotle pepper taste. I love these kind of beers. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. Rogue seems to be able to get it done no matter what style it is.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22-ounce bomber about 1 year old. (Bottle dated 01/07)

Pours a crisp, clear red-copper color into my pint glass with a nice white head, 1.5 fingers high. Head never quite goes away, and laces the glass well. Carbonation bubbles are visible rising in the glass.

Aroma is of mild apricot and black pepper. Hint of sweet citrus. Tangy, hoppy nose.

Taste is quite excellent, with hoppy apricot and peach along with a mild toasted toffee malt. The pepperyness takes just a minute to register on the tongue, but makes you want another sip as soon as it does. Smooth and peppery in the mouth.

A very nice, refreshing, sessionable ale from Rogue.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales