Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

Beer is a hazy golden. Small creamy off-white head sits on top. Pretty light nose for a Rogue beer. A little malt and some citric hop tones. I wasn't expecting to love the taste of this beer (or any pepper beer for that matter), but the pepper notes are ever so subtle. This is actually an enjoyable brew. The pepper tones are kind of appealing. Other than the pepper, there is a nice mix of malt and hops. A little caramely. A little spicy hop bite as well. Overall, this one is pretty good.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

Finally was able to try this offering from Rogue.. I started out a bit trepidacious since it has Chipotle Chile in it.. I love hot and spicy food, but i will always remember that taste of Cave Creek.

Appearance-- A dark amber with off white head that didnt seem to stick around too long.
Smell-- Smell of malt with whisps of smoke and burnt wood.
Taste-- Where the hell is the Chile?? I got no heat at all. I dont know if its cause ive gotten so habeneros arent hot, but this had none of the chile spice at all. It was nice and malty with a bit of smoke and spice on the tongue but no heat.
Mouthfeel- good enough, a little spice (not heat) but other than that nothing to shout about.
Drinkability- well its higher than i thought it would be due to the fact that it was lacking any sort of heat. I wasnt expecting volcano, but a warm glow would have been nice. Not one of my favourites from Rogue, but you cant like everything. Not to say i wouldnt gladly drink if offered, just dont think i would buy it over their other beers.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Pours a hazy golden amber with a thick white head. Looks good, but nothing distinguishes it from other ales. The appearance is fairly generic.

S: Faint notes of caramel, cream, and pepper can be detected immediately after pouring, but become more intense as the beer warms. It's an interesting scent to be sure, but I wish it were more assertive immediately after pouring.

T: The entry is spicy and smoky, immediately allowing the notes of biscuits, caramel, minerals, cream, and smoked peppers to jump out. The finish is long and complex with bready, biscuity malt notes underpinned by a subtle smoky spiciness.

M: The mouthfeel of this medium-to-full bodied ale is firm and dry, never distracting from the unique flavor profile. More drinkable than expected.

O: The idea of chiles in beer was initially off-putting, but I'm glad I gave this one a chance. It actually is very good.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured this beer from a 22oz bomber. The color was burnt orange with a small head. The first sip tastes like a normal ale then the spice hits. I would say it has more cinnamon characteristics than chile peppers but it was very interesting and it worked well for me. This beer should be in every mexican restaurant and it is one to try.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

A- Slightly red clear amber with off-white head that poured huge, left huge lacing, the head lasted a really long time as well.
S- pretty much all slightly sweet malt, only a slight twinge of spiciness on the nose at the finish
T- Pretty smooth, a light malty smoothness, followed by a slight chili pepper spicyness which replaces the hop flavor.
M- a sharper carbonation which fits well with the chili. Has a slightly light body, however nothing of detriment to the beer
D- pretty solid, a slightly spicy flavor that i hadnt had before, and is balanced well, providing an interesting and different finish of chili instead of hops

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

Rogue Chipotle Ale is a hazy amber beer with a fluffy yellow head that has great retention. It smells like a home brew. There are green, grassy notes in the nose, but I'm not picking up any pepper. It has a medium-light body that's smooth and creamy with a clean, dry finish. There's a roasted malt flavor up front and then the taste of smoky chipotle kicks in. There's not much spice, but plenty of flavor. It's well balanced and very drinkable.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

A - This beer pours a nice slightly hazy amber color. It has a nice 2-finger off-white head on it. It has pretty good retention and leaves some nice lace on the glass.

S - It smells of some sweet maltiness and some earthy grassiness. There is also some scents of chipotle peppers and a touch of smoke.

T - The taste has a nice sweet maltiness and some good hoppiness up front. In the background there is some chipotle pepper flavor in the background. The finish leaves some lingering hop flavor and some mild spiciness.

M - This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down easy and has a nice feel to it. The finish has some lingering spice and slight hop bitterness.

D - This has good drinkability. It goes down easy, and I could easily drink a few of these in a sitting. Overall I thought this was a real nice beer. It tastes like a pale ale with some chipotle peppers mixed in. The flavor was nice, I was just hoping for a little more head. I definitely think it is worth a try though. I'd drink it again.

3.72/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into my Hennepin glass. Pours a reddish brown with a healthy inch head that settles slowly into a lacy 1/2 inch or so. The beer is cloudy and I don't see much carbonation. The smell starts out with a nice, fruity, gummi bear like hop aroma backed immediately with a smooth and sticky malt character. The taste is interesting. The taste is much like an APA with a malt undertone topped with a smooth, mild-to-moderate hop bitterness. The chile peppers are faint but noticeable right in the middle of the drink. The pepper taste isn't there but the oil and waxy pepper effect is present. A slightly metallic spice and a bitterness that is separate from the bitterness given by any hop I've had gives it away. It sits more at the front of the tongue and has a residual, consistent effect. After you rest a few minutes from drinking it the pepper taste opens up a bit more with an acidic green chile resemblance.

3.72/5  rDev +4.5%

From the bottle into a pint glass

Clear orange with a small circle of white head, smells kind of bready and sweet and then a spicy peppery note hits, tastes sweet like a bready amber ale, a light smokiness is present and some pepper flavor comes through as well, not too hot but it is certainly present, mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Decently drinkable, I could see someone really liking this one if they were a fan of chipotle. I would drink this again if I was in the mood. I see real potential for this beer in a recipe of some sort. A nice sweetness is present and the pepper could definitely add some spice. I might pick this one up to make chili with.

3.72/5  rDev +4.5%

A= a amber color with a decent head and average lacing on the side of my glass
S= has a very basic BMC kind of smell followed by a little chipotle smokiness and spice. Not great but still above par
T= OOOOh interesting. smokey, not too spicy, and yet it still tastes like a beer. goes great with my enchiladas tonight.
M=A little heavy with average carbonation
D= Best peppered beer that I've had so far. Still tastes like beer actually. something drinkable. I like it and next time I make enchiladas I'm gonna buy it again. Other than that I can't imagine drinking it again though

3.72/5  rDev +4.5%

So strange! This beer pours a burnt orange color with the tinniest off white head that dissipates quickly. Smells malty and smokey. Taste is complex.. Sweet, smokey, some malt, smoked chilies, lightly bitter with a drying end. There is a lingering sweetness between sips. This beer is really unique.. There are so many cool things going on here.

"ale brewed with chipotle peppers"

3.72/5  rDev +4.5%

Now this is one odd duck. Presented in the pint + 6 650ml bottle with no freshness date. Pours into the pint glass a clear reddish-orange with numerous bubbles beneath a solid 1-finger creamy tan head that fades at a moderate pace, leaving a small amount of lacing. Head and lacing are gone by the bottom of the glass. Nose is quite odd, sort of a mildly hoppy mesquite BBQ potato chip. Not bad; just odd. Taste follows logically from the nose; there’s a tart BBQ flavor up front, very smoky and sharp, with a definite burn at the end like chili peppers. Good taste, just, uh… hot. Mouth is somewhat on the thin side, semi-syrupy, smooth, with mild carbonation. Drinkability is average to low; I struggled through the bottle. Probably would be more palatable paired with some mild Mexican fare.

Overall: For my first chili beer, it’s not bad, but still not the thing I’d seek out on a regular. A good niche beer; worth a try.

3.72/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from the 650 ML bottle that I purchased along with 5 other Rogue beers within the past month. Poured into my Dark Horse Brewing Company pint glass. From message written on the side of the bottle: Dedicated to Spanish author Juan de la Cueva, who, in 1575, wrote of a Mexican dish that combined seedless chipotles with ale. This ale is deep amber in color with a rich malty aroma, and delicately spiced with smoked Jalapeno Peppers to give it that extra bite!

A Nice medium brown/amber body under a very light brown creamy, fluffy one inch head after a vigorous pour. Sediment floating about . 4.0

S There is a nice, smoky smoked ham smell in addition to a nice preview of the spice brought on undoubtedly by the peppers. I really like this smell. It is interesting, inviting. 4.5

T I am not sure about this beer. There is an odd rauchbier quality of the smoked aspect to it and the peppers do not come through for me until the aftertaste. The rauchbier quality is not the dynamic, interesting quality of one of the Acht Schlelanka quality but a rather flat quality that I do not like too much. The peppers, which come in at about the aftertaste, are kind of an after thought, only present at the end. Contrast this with DHF Theoromba whose chili tastes are throughout and are much more present. This beer's taste was hard for me to rate but here goes: 3.5

M Minimally smooth feel but mostly this is moderate. There is a bit of bite with the pepper taste in the aftertaste but really it is moderate. I like the feel though. 4.0

D Only fair for me. The odd flatness and rauchbier qualities do not jive well with the pepper aftertaste. I will finish the 22 ounces but will most likely not seek this one out again. 3.0

3.71/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Poured a small white head orange in color quickly dissipating coating

S: Smells like Jalepenos, Farm Fresh But just not enough else going on (hop/malt)

T: Tastes like a nice pale ale with some extra creamyness/pepper taster. Unique

M: Interesting, Sharp and Creamy

Overall: Pretty solid beer, unique for sure, I could use a little more to dig into taste is somewhat one sided

3.71/5  rDev +4.2%

I've only had a couple of chile beers and was not sure I'd like this one. Was pleasantly surprised.

A) Nice amber with sudsy off-white head that left lots of lacing

S) Mild, but mostly of spice

T) At first like a nice malty amber ale, but then it's just the smokey and spicey flavor of chipotle. Not super spicey, just tingly and warm. At first I thought that was from the alcohol, but at 5.5%, its the spice.

MF) Medium with lots of carbonation

D) Good. I enjoyed this with tacos and it went well together. Not sure if this is my favorite style but I enjoyed this brew and would recommend it.

3.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A very nice smoked chipotle flavour. Not much heat though. Sweet malty taste is the backbone to this beer. Medium carbonation.

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

Draft at the Barcade in NY during our 3/19/05 crawl!
Was told it was tapped the night before. Deep and amber, clear, with a dusting of faint white head. Can’t smell anything really, just slight maltiness, very clean. -(and there was not a bit of smoke in the air). Smooth with a touch of carbonation, but you barely feel it -nice. Deep and malty, burnt toast. Bit of lingering caramelly sweetness. There is just a touch of a tingle to your tongue, but no heat at all. I was hoping to get a bit of it- I knew not to expect a CaveCreek or anything, but still thought I would catch more than there is. And since this was still freshly tapped, I assume this is what the heat is supposed to be at. A lot of flavor is left in your mouth. Decently drinkable with nice flavors, but I was still hoping to get a bit of a punch -or at least a nudge from this one.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: slightly hazy tawny-orange color with one finger of ivory head. Could be pretty good.

Smell: well, it doesn't smell like any other beer I've tried before, but then it doesn't smell strongly of chipotles either. It smells slightly chalky, vegetable-y, and, indeed, a little peppery; my brain wants to say cayenne pepper. Bonus points for originality.

Taste: up front it is a strong kind of neutral flavor; chalky; indeed, almost waxy. The initial flavor is almost berry-like in its fruitiness, and it is only later that the spiciness and chili qualities hit with full force. Even so, it is not discernably "spicy" on the tongue; however, I'm still getting little beads of sweat on my forehead as I imbibe it. I have to give this a 4, because while it may not be something I drink every day, it is an interesting and well-executed brew.

Mouthfeel: medium body with an average carbonation level. Nothing to write home about.

Drinkability: I like this beer well enough to finish it; and, while I appreciate the craft that went into it, I don't know that I'll be getting it again. Perhaps it would go well with a meal. This is simply one difficult beer for me to rate.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at The Thirsty Monk. Poured a copper color with an off white head. Nose is very peppery with some malt and promises the chipotle that is expected. Small amount of malt in the taste with a well balanced chipotle flavor... not too much, not too little. If you like what's promised by this beer, it delivers nicely. Still, not the most interesting of brews.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Being a lover of spicy foods, I had to try this one out.

A- transparent orange/amber with two fingers of off-white head that left moderate lacing.

S- not very potent, but the peppers were clearly at the forefront with some malt in the background.

T- mainly tasting of mild chipotle peppers, not unlike most chipotle sauces/pastes. Not spicy at all, but pretty flavorful.

M- fairly light-bodied with mild carbonation.

D- pretty smooth for the most part, not hard to down by any means.

It kind of reminded me of Fat Tire with Chipotle flavor added, but I recommend this to anyone willing to try anything new, especially if they like Southwestern cuisine. I may pair this with some Mexican food very soon to get another perspective on it.

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured a dark ruby amber into a tulip with two fingers of bright white head. Aroma dominated by chipotle pepper (go figure).

Moderate carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel. Chipotle up front followed by solid caramelmaltt and a more smoke-dominated pepper character on the finish.

Nicely done, but a little one-dimensional. Malt. Chipotle. Okay, I guess that's two dimensions.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours opaque burnt orange with a slight head and no appreciable lacing.

Aroma is definitely full of smokey chipotle, but it is matched with strong enough malt to give some balance.

Taste is surprisingly mild up front with sweet caramel maltiness and hints of citrus fruit. Then the smokey chipotle flavor makes an appearance, but doesn't completely dominate. The finish holds a touch of hops and a decent sting of peppery heat.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth.

This is by far the best chile beer I've had. I expected the chile flavor to dominate everything, but instead it is a pleasant addition to the balanced malt and hops. A very nice change of pace.

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

22oz bomber, bought on my trip to Vegas, and being eaten with cold, leftover Uno deep dish pizza (which is pretty good)

Pours a nice amber color like a good amber ale. Not much head to go around. Doesn't last long either but sticks a little bit.

Smell kind of reminds me of smoked beer with a touch of mexican food. Pretty good, and hopefully a good choice with this pizza.

The taste resembles a rauchbier that I once tried although not quite as smoky. Somewhat spicy but not overpowering. You still notice the hop bitterness at the end and I catch the malts in the aftertaste to let you remember this is beer.

The moderate carbonation combined with the spice make the mouthfeel a bit rougher than most, but not as much as you might think. The spice sticks on the back a bit.

I don't know how drinkable this would be as a session brew, but it would likely go with a good, spicy meal a helluva lot better than Corona.

Poured from a bomber.

Medium burnt red color with 2" white fluffy head, great head retention and fairly crystal clear.

Initialy has a large hop aroma with a little bit of spice to back it up.

Malty flavor up front with a large spice note on the back of the tongue. This beer leaves a fairly large spice flavor on the back of your mouth. Definetly a "chipotle" kinda flavor but more of a generic spice than a specific one.

Im usually not a fan of this style of specialy ale but this really was quite the tasty beer, kinda a malty brown ale with a big addition of spice. Probably something I will buy again, though Im not sure when.

3.69/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

tap

Pours a orange amber color with a bit of lacing.

Scent of caramel and bready malts with a hint of spice and honey.

Mild brown-ale type flavor, caramel and biscuits, with a noted spice bite to it.

Light tingle of carbonation.

Pretty decent spiced ale, actually better than I expected, pretty good flavor and worth trying.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales